Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 28 of 28 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28
Topic Options
#72103 - 07/13/14 08:40 PM Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? [Re: sevi]
No Comment Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: sevi
Finished reading Moto Hagio's Heart of Thomas last night. It was such a beautiful, yet sad, title. The story centers around the students at an all male boarding school in the aftermath of the death of one of their classmates (Thomas) and the arrival of another student who looks just like him. Most of the students believe the death was an accident, but the main characters and the reader know it was suicide.
Overall it was an intriguing read. The artwork is obviously a tad dated, but no more so than any other series from that time period. And it is a shonen ai but the relationships between characters in general are more important than their sexuality and flow naturally and organically.
Also, the introduction/ end article gives information on the series creation and how it ended up becoming classic literature. And the history behind how creators like Hagio and the other members of the Year 24 group were credited for saving the shojo market and shaping shojo into what it is today.
Highly recommended for anyone who is into slice of life series or shojo series in general even if you're not generally a fan of BL/ shonen ai.
Wow, I forgot about Heart Of Thomas. I was planning on buying it when it came out, but it somehow slipped off my radar. I didn't really like Hagio's other work available, A Drunken Dream And Other Stories, but HOT seems like something I'd really like.

Lately I've been reading Immortal Rain and Red River. Both are really good. Immortal Rain is technically shoujo, but the way I see it it's only because it stars a girl and the plot has romance intertwined. It feels very shonen-ish at times. Red River is straight up 90's "girl gets transported to far away land" shoujo. It makes me laugh at all the various key plot points of shoujo manga it hits, but it's a lot of fun.

Advertisement
#72105 - 07/13/14 09:34 PM Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? [Re: No Comment]
sevi Online
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Pennsylvania
I
Originally Posted By: No Comment
[quote=sevi]

Lately I've been reading Immortal Rain and Red River. Both are really good. Immortal Rain is technically shoujo, but the way I see it it's only because it stars a girl and the plot has romance intertwined. It feels very shonen-ish at times. Red River is straight up 90's "girl gets transported to far away land" shoujo. It makes me laugh at all the various key plot points of shoujo manga it hits, but it's a lot of fun.

Immortal Rain was one of those early shojo series that I lost track of at one point. I was looking to get back into reading until I found out that Tokyopop only managed to release 8 of the 11 total volumes. And I have way too many unfinished series as it is.
But if you're into Red River and Immortal Rain, I highly recommend Planet Ladder (if you haven't already read it.)

#72478 - 19 minutes 54 seconds ago Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? [Re: EricDent]
RosexRevolution Online
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Missouri
Just read all six volumes of Demon Love Spell I liked it well enough, the interactions between the two leads are similar to the two leads in the author's other series, Ai Ore!. I don't know if I'll ever read it again, but it was a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Page 28 of 28 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.