What's your favorite RPG game?

Posted by: dinkygreg

What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/12/11 06:29 AM

Hello friends..
I just joined the forums even though I have been visiting it regular. Well, I am a huge fan of RPG games and my most favorite RPG is Final Fantasy. I love the story line and the sphere grid system. I also like how I can switch party members in mid-battle. Let's share if you guys have any favorite RPG games or series.

Cheers.
Posted by: joelgundam01

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/12/11 10:30 AM

My favorite RPG is The Legend of Dragoon (PS1). It's an old one, but it was the game that got me into the genre.
Posted by: Gevin

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/12/11 11:53 AM

Which Final Fanatsy? There are a lot of them & they all differ quite a bit from one another.

Fallout 3 is a huge recent favorite of mine.
Final Fantasy VII (when it was new) was a huge favorite of mine.
& I Recall really loving Secret Of Evermore.

Pretty much anything from the Zelda series is perfection,.. If you'll count it. Sure, they're adventure gams, but the stories are typically incredibly gripping.
I'd say the same about the Half Life series in spite of the fact that they are FPS titles.
Posted by: Stefanie

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/14/11 08:42 AM

Agreed on Zelda, though like Gevin, I tend to classify it as Adventure.

Demon's Souls (PS3) is an Adventure/RPG hybrid, and calling it an "Action RPG" doesn't accurately describe it, as it's rather unique. Anyway, it has passed Gorf (arcade), Adventure (2600), Zelda (series), and Tomb Raider (PS1) as my favorite all-around video game of all-time; so if it counts as an RPG, Demon's Souls is my favorite RPG.

As for games clearly in the RPG category, it used to be the Phantasy Star series (first three on SMS and Genesis), then Final Fantasy VII (PS1) took the spot, and now it's the Dragon Age series (PS3, in my case).

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/14/11 10:27 AM

Have you started on Dragon Age 2 yet?
I hear that it's a lot more accessible than the first. That prospect lures me in a bit.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/15/11 11:23 AM

It's interesting how that aspect of Dragon Age II attracts some and disappoints others. smile

Yes, I'm well into DA2 now, and while I like it just fine and I'm having fun with it, I prefer Dragon Age: Origins. I miss DAO's inventory system and the way in which DAO's specialization/talent/skill branches were set up.

In DAO, I can amuse myself for hours getting all nitpicky about various weapons, armor sets, and accessories. Some people considered that a bother, but for me, it's a pleasure. In DA2, the inventory is more restricted, automatic, and straight-forward.

The skills, spells, talents, etc. are very streamlined in DA2, and I miss the comprehensive layout in DAO. I prefer scrolling through all of them in one view, and the linear progression from the weaker skills to the stronger skills. In DA2, it's simplified, but you can only see one skill branch at a time, as you toggle through the sets.

In DA2, the game play itself feels more like Fallout 3 than DAO. The graphics are crisper, and the movement and combat have more of a tactile, responsive, hands-on feel. It's like the difference between the ride of a Rolls Royce (DAO) versus a Mercedes (DA2, F3). This is one area where I think DA2 is an improvement over DAO.

As for the story, in DAO, from the very start, you have the feeling that your character is destined for greatness beyond imagination, and it turns out to be true. Even in the Dwarf and Elf commoner origins, you can sense that from very early in the game, and as your reputation grows, good guys treat you like a rock star and bad guys cower at the mention of your name. In DA2, there's more of a blue collar identity to your character. Even if you do earn a reputation as a badass, you're still just an average Jane/Joe for much of the game, and you aren't shown much respect. It's a lot more "street" than DAO.

Once you get passed the intro story and character creation, the game is very easy to jump into without a lot of fussy maintenance or even reading the manual. You can turn in-game instructions on/off at will, so you can let the game teach you all you'll need to know as you go along.

Like I said, I prefer DAO, but I don't dislike DA2. DA2 is similar to DAO, but not a clone of DAO.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 08/25/11 12:57 PM

Speaking of DA2, I just picked up another PSN card, so I'll finally get around to buying the latest DLC tonight ("Legacy" came out in July, and a new weapons pack just came out a couple of days ago). I had my PS3 trophies at 100%, but now they're back down to 90%, so I can't allow that. lol

Also today, after a few weeks of mulling it over, I bought Record Of Agarest War Zero (Limited Edition). It received mixed reviews, but players seem to favor it more than critics. I haven't played a good Eastern-style RPG since Final Fantasy VII & X, but this one looks like it might be interesting. When White Knight Chronicles came out last year, I considered that, but from what I read it didn't sound like what I wanted. The first Record Of Agarest War was available on PS3 only as a digital download or European import disc, so I'm glad this one was actually released on disc, domestically.

I finished my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 a few weeks ago, but I'm still working on the second playthrough. I'm glad I finally got it, and I'm looking forward to ME3 next March.

Despite my beef with Bethesda over sloppy programming, I'm seriously considering giving Fallout: New Vegas a shot, now that it's only $19.99. I still can't forgive Bethesda, but I do love the Fallout universe, even though it took me a while to warm up to it. I just hope FNV doesn't crash as much as F3.

Dark Souls is a little over a month away. It's been pre-ordered, and I've set aside plenty of time for it. smile
Posted by: kiku

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 08/25/11 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Stefanie
[color:#330099]As for games clearly in the RPG category, it used to be the Phantasy Star series (first three on SMS and Genesis)
OMG! Somebody else who's played the old school Phantasy Star Games! Phantasy Star II was my favorite. I never could figure out how to beat the games final boss on Dezo (the moon). He was so badass and huge that he covered up his own stats, so you never knew how close you were to beating him, or if you were even hurting him for that matter. It was kinda funny, he was the final boss of a game which was of epic scope (for it's time) and you found him in what looked like a regular chest. Oh hey, a chest; I think I'll open it and see what kind of goodies it's got. I sure could use a healing (res) potion... OMG I've opened Pandora's Box!

No matter how many times I wen't into the weapons shop and bought something from the rocker with the insane red hair, I never got tired of the music.

I guess it's available for the iphone as of last year. crazy Sometimes I feel like the world is whizzing right past me.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 08/26/11 09:05 AM

You have a good memory, because I remember very few details of those three games, even though I beat them all. I remember the first one the most, mainly running through the underground tunnels and killing monsters that look like gumdrops, and buying "cola" from the merchants. At the time, navigating those tunnels was a unique experience in video games. The only thing I remember from 2 & 3 is the church bells that ring whenever you go to a temple. I always liked that.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 08/26/11 12:02 PM

Phantasy Star II was the 1st game that I ever played where 1 of the protagonists dies. I was devastated. I mean actually emotionally upset. I understand where you're coming from in reference to your experience with Phantasy Star I. I've only played it a little bit on the "Phantasy Star Collection" Gameboy Advance Edition which features I, II, & III. I remember the tunnels. 3D before it was 3D. I think it's liberating to see the scope of the advancement of technology from a standpoint in time. This allows you to see that just because there are flash animations on the web with far greater technology, it doesn't make your experience in the tunnels of Phantasy Star any less special.
Posted by: EricDent

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/10/11 02:44 AM

DragonQuest 8 (the one with the Cursed King) was such a fun game.

I have a very nostalgic game as well (though I barely remember what happened in the game) that is Earthbound for the SNES.

Another fun one (that was not too hard) was Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

Of course my personal favorite Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy 9.
I liked the retro character looks, the story, and it was pretty fun as well.

One if the worst RPGs IMO is DragonQuest Realms of Revalation for the DS.
The game itself is pretty darn short, but they attempted to "make up for it" by adding a bunch of annoying random dungeons with uber-bosses, which just give you another map to another random dungeon (and so on, etc).

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/10/11 02:48 AM

BTW "Mystic Quest" was essentially a Final Fantasy training game. Most people were so unused to rpgs back then... because rpgs were new. Mystic Quest was sort of a soft landing into Final Fantasy games. Funny thing was, it was a great game in and of itself. I've still got a copy on my game shelf.

Favorite Weapon: Dragon Claw (badass and functional)
Posted by: stargates

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/16/11 09:52 AM

It's interesting how that aspect of Dragon Age II attracts some and disappoints others. smile

Yes, I'm well into DA2 now, and while I like it just fine and I'm having fun with it, I prefer Dragon Age: Origins. I miss DAO's inventory system and the way in which DAO's specialization/talent/skill branches were set up.

In DAO, I can amuse myself for hours getting all nitpicky about various weapons, armor sets, and accessories. Some people considered that a bother, but for me, it's a pleasure. In DA2, the inventory is more restricted, automatic, and straight-forward.

The skills, spells, talents, etc. are very streamlined in DA2, and I miss the comprehensive layout in DAO. I prefer scrolling through all of them in one view, and the linear progression from the weaker skills to the stronger skills. In DA2, it's simplified, but you can only see one skill branch at a time, as you toggle through the sets.

In DA2, the game play itself feels more like Fallout 3 than DAO. The graphics are crisper, and the movement and combat have more of a tactile, responsive, hands-on feel. It's like the difference between the ride of a Rolls Royce (DAO) versus a Mercedes (DA2, F3). This is one area where I think DA2 is an improvement over DAO.

As for the story, in DAO, from the very start, you have the feeling that your character is destined for greatness beyond imagination, and it turns out to be true. Even in the Dwarf and Elf commoner origins, you can sense that from very early in the game, and as your reputation grows, good guys treat you like a rock star and bad guys cower at the mention of your name. In DA2, there's more of a blue collar identity to your character. Even if you do earn a reputation as a badass, you're still just an average Jane/Joe for much of the game, and you aren't shown much respect. It's a lot more "street" than DAO.

Once you get passed the intro story and character creation, the game is very easy to jump into without a lot of fussy maintenance or even reading the manual. You can turn in-game instructions on/off at will, so you can let the game teach you all you'll need to know as you go along.

Like I said, I prefer DAO, but I don't dislike DA2. DA2 is similar to DAO, but not a clone of DAO.

Currently working on DAO (need to start the "Landsmeet" questline) and have to agree, it's a fun game. It does give you the freedom to choose your weapons, armor, etc. which i greatly enjoy. I like to take an RPG and take my time with it and not be rushed into finishing the questline.

Even tho i haven't completed the main storyline i have looked into DA2 a little bit and have to admit that i'm on the fence about it. I didn't get the same vibe about that one as i did with the first one. So for the moment it's on hold.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/16/11 12:51 PM

Ah, cool! Which origin did you choose?

I tend to rush through an action/survival game like Resident Evil pretty fast, but like you, I enjoy slowing things down in an RPG and exploring all of the little side stories. With DA2, you still feel like you're in the same world, but the focus is a lot narrower, the gameplay more streamlined, and the vibe is much more "street" (to quote myself) than DAO.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/16/11 08:41 PM

Ah, cool! Which origin did you choose?

I cheated and started them all just long enough so that it would come up as having shown that i completed them all! grin

However the main story that i'm going with at the moment is the Human Noble and the Dalish Elf charaters.

I tend to rush through an action/survival game like Resident Evil pretty fast, but like you, I enjoy slowing things down in an RPG and exploring all of the little side stories. With DA2, you still feel like you're in the same world, but the focus is a lot narrower, the gameplay more streamlined, and the vibe is much more "street" (to quote myself) than DAO.

Yeah, i find that i enjoy the game more if you just take your time going through it. True sometimes the little side quests can be a pain but in the end i find that feel better having done them anyway. The biggest gripe i have with the game is that once you clear a cave/cavern and then go back, there are no enemies to re-fight and help level you're character up some more. In other RPG's like Morrowind, Oblivion, FFX-2 you can always go back and refight to help level up.

The copy of DAO i have came as a two disc set. The first disc has the game and the second disc has all of the DLC that went with it. I've done only a couple of side quests(Awakening and Lelianna's Song i believe are the only ones so far) from the DLC and want to do more but i'd like my characters to be leveled up a little more than they are now (currently 20 & 19) before continuing on, even tho i'm really itching to go ahead and start one anyway.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/17/11 03:04 AM

Yeah that Dragon Claw in Mystic Quest was pretty cool.
IIRC a couple times it would insta-kill (just slice in half) some random monsters. Speaking of monsters this is one of those games you could see where the monsters were hiding out, so if you wanted to you could avoid them (but then beating the bosses were kind of tough). One time I killed every single monster in the game to see how powerful the party would become, IIRC we beat the last boss in about 3 turns (using Flare, Dragon Claw, & just attacking).

BTW one of the most unclimatic battles in Final Fantasy 7 was the very last battle with Sephiroth, where Cloud just gets his Limit Break automatically and used Multi-Slash for 9999 damage each hit.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/17/11 03:45 AM

One of the tragedies of that game is that you had to be "in the know" about a lot of things to accomplish some of the cooler things. Granted, there was a possibility that you might successfully meet Yuffie randomly in the lonely patch of woods and say the right things. Granted, you might get Cait Sith into your party and find a powerful megaphone for him. Without the guidebook though; the chances of adding Vincent to your party, breeding a black Chocobo, or acquiring Knights Of The Round were slim. I never did beat that uber powerful Weapon at the bottom of the ocean... you know; where you can't breath!

FFV was one of my faves.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/19/11 09:48 AM

Funny, but I didn't seem to have any trouble with those things in FF7, without a guide. Maybe I was just lucky and didn't realize it. I always liked the "Turks" in that game. Those guys were so cute. lol

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/19/11 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: stargates
I cheated and started them all just long enough so that it would come up as having shown that i completed them all! grin

Same here. I enjoyed the various origins, though. Playing all of them gives you a better understanding of the way things work in Ferelden. Plus, most of them are entertaining.

However the main story that i'm going with at the moment is the Human Noble and the Dalish Elf charaters.

The ones I actually played through are 1) Female Human Mage (raised in the Tower), 2) Male Human Warrior Noble, 3) Female Human Rogue Noble. The first two characters also went completely through "Awakening," and I also created a Female Human Warrior just for "Awakening."

Even though my first character was a Mage, I gave her very high strength and built her as a Battle Mage, so that she could hack & slash with the best armor and swords, right from the start. If things got too rough, she could always bail out with offensive spells. She was a Blood Mage, too. I played her as a good guy, but she was arrogant and had an "ends justify the means" approach to getting the job done.

My Male Warrior was a "by the book," "law and order" type of good guy, who's personality was a little on the stiff side, but he always tried to do the right things, the right way. My Female Rogue was a self-serving rascal who was always looking for trouble and slept with everyone she could, even during the origin story.

The biggest gripe i have with the game is that once you clear a cave/cavern and then go back, there are no enemies to re-fight and help level you're character up some more. In other RPG's like Morrowind, Oblivion, FFX-2 you can always go back and refight to help level up.

I actually applaud Dragon Age for that, because it eliminates the need for grinding. You naturally level up as you need to, just by playing through the game. I much prefer that to the Final Fantasy VII approach, where you can't take two steps across the world map without getting into another repetitive battle, and you can't advance much unless you spend hours fighting like that. DAO and DA2 are well-balanced in that respect. You're always as powerful as you need to be.

...i'd like my characters to be leveled up a little more than they are now (currently 20 & 19) before continuing on, even tho i'm really itching to go ahead and start one anyway.

I wouldn't worry about that. Just go ahead and play what you want, when you want. You'll level up without even noticing.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/19/11 11:05 AM

Funny, but I didn't seem to have any trouble with those things in FF7, without a guide. Maybe I was just lucky and didn't realize it. I always liked the "Turks" in that game. Those guys were so cute. lol
I didn't have a guide either. What I did have, was one of those friends. You know, the one who just has to tell you about everything before you do it. "Go here go here, now do this do this." laugh

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/20/11 01:45 PM

Same here. I enjoyed the various origins, though. Playing all of them gives you a better understanding of the way things work in Ferelden. Plus, most of them are entertaining.

True. I really got into the Dwarf Noble storyline with all the lies and deception one would expect to find from a Noble family.

The ones I actually played through are 1) Female Human Mage (raised in the Tower), 2) Male Human Warrior Noble, 3) Female Human Rogue Noble. The first two characters also went completely through "Awakening," and I also created a Female Human Warrior just for "Awakening."

I (tried to) make my Female Human Noble more along the lines of loosely 'by the book' with some diplomacy one would expect from Nobility. A warrior through and through. Not enough for the Massive Armor but a fairly well balanced character.

The Female Dalish Elf is more of a redneck country girl who isn't always afraid to speak her mind (and be pure eye candy too! grin ). Full stats on her archery skills. I have such a blast with this one.

I also did start the Female Human Mage(lvl 10 and raised in tower too), however i have that one stalled out for the moment until i move the storyline ahead with the others and see how the rest of the game plays out.

Even though my first character was a Mage, I gave her very high strength and built her as a Battle Mage, so that she could hack & slash with the best armor and swords, right from the start.

Is there really any other kind of mage?

The biggest gripe i have with the game is that once you clear a cave/cavern and then go back, there are no enemies to re-fight and help level you're character up some more. In other RPG's like Morrowind, Oblivion, FFX-2 you can always go back and refight to help level up.

I actually applaud Dragon Age for that, because it eliminates the need for grinding. You naturally level up as you need to, just by playing through the game. I much prefer that to the Final Fantasy VII approach, where you can't take two steps across the world map without getting into another repetitive battle, and you can't advance much unless you spend hours fighting like that. DAO and DA2 are well-balanced in that respect. You're always as powerful as you need to be.

Maybe it's just something that i've gotten used to. I'm the type that would like to have my character's leveled up enough so that once you start to fight higher leveled characters/bosses your stats are either on par or just above the enemy that you need to fight so that you don't have to repeat the battle several times because of low stats (and keeping your blood pressure down too).

...i'd like my characters to be leveled up a little more than they are now (currently 20 & 19) before continuing on, even tho i'm really itching to go ahead and start one anyway.

I wouldn't worry about that. Just go ahead and play what you want, when you want. You'll level up without even noticing.

I'm going to pick it up again later this week and see what happens. Even with alternate endings is it still a game that you find that has high replay value or just average?

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/21/11 12:18 PM

True. I really got into the Dwarf Noble storyline with all the lies and deception one would expect to find from a Noble family.

Amen! That was a great origin, and even though I could see the ending coming, I was still a bit shocked at the level of treachery among the Dwarves. They really do believe in keeping their friends close and their enemies closer.

{regarding warriors} Not enough for the Massive Armor but a fairly well balanced character.

With my pure warrior builds in DAO, I usually prefer tank-style builds, with massive armor and insanely large two-handed swords, axes, and hammers. However, there's something to be said for a sword and shield setup. If you ever get Loghain (my favorite character in the whole game, and possibly the only "real man" in Ferelden) in your party, he's great at that style. Speaking of Loghain,

Click to reveal..
if you get a chance, play through the "Return To Ostagar" DLC with Loghain and Wynne in your party, if you want to hear some nasty arguments. lol

The Female Dalish Elf is more of a redneck country girl who isn't always afraid to speak her mind (and be pure eye candy too! grin ). Full stats on her archery skills. I have such a blast with this one.

Ha! She sounds like a fun character. I love some of the smart-ass dialogue choices. Those archers can become very powerful as they level up, especially with the "Awakening" skills.

...Battle Mage...
Is there really any other kind of mage?

In my world, no. But, in DA2, mages have to play as such. You don't have access to swords and warrior armor; you have to wear mage robes and use staves. In DA2, I had to be content with using pure spells, which means I often chose to control another party member. Granted, the mages in DA2 have MUCH cooler staves and outfits than in DAO, but I don't like being told how to play my characters.

For most of the game in DAO, my battle mage used the Spellweaver sword (it acts as a staff and sword) with a shield to great effect. Her specializations were Arcane Warrior + Blood Mage + Power Of Blood in the main quest, and after "Awakenings" and all other DLC, she added Battlemage + Spirit Healer. She was incredible in the middle of a crowded, chaotic battlefield, but one-on-one against very powerful opponents (High Dragons, the Archdemon, Gaxkang, and of course, the Harvester), she struggled a bit, and it took her a while to chop them down.

I'm going to pick it up again later this week and see what happens. Even with alternate endings is it still a game that you find that has high replay value or just average?

It has high replay value until you've experienced all of the origins, classes, romances, endings, and collected all of the trophies/achievements. After that, I was ready to move on to a completely different game. I'd say that I more than got my money's worth, and I paid extra for all of the collector's editions and hardcover guides for both games.

DAO main quest = 3 complete playthroughs, plus all origins, plus early DLC ("Warden's Keep" & "The Stone Prisoner")

"Awakenings" = 3 complete playthroughs, plus all later DLC

I played the DLC quests as they were released, so by the time I played "The Golems Of Amgarrak" and "Witch Hunt," my characters were already insanely powerful and well-equipped. However, my female mage still could not beat the Harvester on Hard/Nightmare difficulty, only on Casual. My male warrior took him down on Nightmare, though (that's the most difficult trophy in the game).

DA2 main quest = 4 playthroughs (female mage, female rogue, and two warriors of each sex), plus early DLC ("The Exiled Prince" and "The Black Emporium")

In DA2, I've taken my mage through the first post-release DLC ("Legacy" July 26, 2011), but I'll have to play it again to get the last two trophies. "Mark Of The Assassin" is scheduled for release on October 11, 2011.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/23/11 09:49 AM

It's funny that you should mention Awakening since i went ahead and played that one through to the end before [DAO[/b]! The only thing that i did (and am not proud of) was when i had to battle the Baroness i had to drop the difficulty from 'Normal' to 'Easy' just to get through that stage. cry

It has high replay value until you've experienced all of the origins, classes, romances, endings, and collected all of the trophies/achievements. After that, I was ready to move on to a completely different game. I'd say that I more than got my money's worth, and I paid extra for all of the collector's editions and hardcover guides for both games.

DAO main quest = 3 complete playthroughs, plus all origins, plus early DLC ("Warden's Keep" & "The Stone Prisoner")

"Awakenings" = 3 complete playthroughs, plus all later DLC

I played the DLC quests as they were released, so by the time I played "The Golems Of Amgarrak" and "Witch Hunt," my characters were already insanely powerful and well-equipped. However, my female mage still could not beat the Harvester on Hard/Nightmare difficulty, only on Casual. My male warrior took him down on Nightmare, though (that's the most difficult trophy in the game).

Since i have all of the DLC (for Origins)it suggests that i should do that first since i will unlock items and get some kind of 'bonus' when i play through the Origins mainquest. That's part of the reason that i kind of stalled for the moment, since i'm debating on doing that or just keep going w/ the game. I also have the Strategy Guide so i also know a few things to look forward to in Origins.

The DLC that i've done so far is Lelianna's Song, Stone Prisoner, Wardens Keep, and Return to Ostagar. Is there really anything worthwhile to look forward to as far as bonus material (have Lelianna's Battledress) or is it just misc things like the Feastday extras that you pick up along the way?

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/23/11 01:08 PM

"Leliana's Song" and "Darkspawn Chronicles" have nothing to do with the game play in the other DLCs, "Awakening", or the main DAO quest. Except for the "Battledress Of The Provocateur" Rogue armor, you don't earn any cool stuff that Leliana can carry over, nor do you gain experience points for the main quest. As you know, you don't find it; it just appears in your primary character's inventory. It's pretty good light armor, but later in the game, you can find better.

Having played "Leliana's Song" before playing the main game doesn't ruin anything, but because it does explain a lot of Lelian's background, it could either enhance her appeal or detract from her mystery. It's a subjective call.

If you care about spoilers, I wouldn't play "Darkspawn Chronicles" before finishing the main game. It lets you see the game's final battle from the Darkspawns' perspective, and it reveals quite a lot.

I highly recommend playing "Warden's Keep" THE MOMENT it becomes available in the main game (I think it's right after leaving Lothering). You'll get some good loot, and you'll finally have a bottomless storage chest to store all of your gear. After that, I would play "Stone Prisoner" (to get Shale in your party) and then "Return To Ostagar." You'll get more loot, plus some closure on the Battle Of Ostagar story arc. In all three DLCs, you'll get equipment along the way that just about anyone can use. I would put the main quest on hold if you haven't done those.

The Feastday gifts are mostly just for amusement, but one benefit is that they will make it VERY easy (too easy) to get your party members' approval of you up to 100%. It's the fast track to both friendship and romance.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/23/11 01:46 PM

It's funny that you should mention Awakening since i went ahead and played that one through to the end before DAO!

Had you asked me before you did that, I would've suggested that you waited. 1) You can bring most of your DAO gear with you into Awakening, but you can't bring "Awakening" gear into DAO; and 2) The events in "Awakening" follow the events in DAO, so your actions and choices in the main quest directly affect what happens in "Awakenings."

For example, whoever winds up being King/Queen of Ferelden will visit you at Turnip Keep (as Wade refers to Vigil's Keep), and your actions in DAO determine who that person will be. It's not the end of the world, but you did it backwards, so you didn't get to see the fruits of your labor.

The only thing that i did (and am not proud of) was when i had to battle the Baroness i had to drop the difficulty from 'Normal' to 'Easy' just to get through that stage. cry

That might be because you had a low level character, condidering that you hadn't finished DAO at the time. The first time you face her, she can be a handful on any setting, but once you know what you're doing, and you recognize her patterns, she's not that difficult to kill, even on the Hard difficulty setting. Personally, I had more trouble with Gaxkang. He drops the Keening Blade longsword, and if you beat him on the Hard/Nightmare setting, he'll drop the Fade Wall, which is a great shield, and worth thr trouble.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 09/25/11 08:08 PM

I highly recommend playing "Warden's Keep" THE MOMENT it becomes available in the main game (I think it's right after leaving Lothering). You'll get some good loot, and you'll finally have a bottomless storage chest to store all of your gear. After that, I would play "Stone Prisoner" (to get Shale in your party) and then "Return To Ostagar." You'll get more loot, plus some closure on the Battle Of Ostagar story arc. In all three DLCs, you'll get equipment along the way that just about anyone can use. I would put the main quest on hold if you haven't done those.

I did and they were a blast. They are definitely worth the time and effort. Not only to level up but, as you said, you get some pretty cool weapons and armor along the way too. Shale is a trip and a fun one to have in your party. And the banter with the other characters is pretty funny.

The Feastday gifts are mostly just for amusement, but one benefit is that they will make it VERY easy (too easy) to get your party members' approval of you up to 100%. It's the fast track to both friendship and romance.

I know! It's fun to mess with people now and again. It's weird to be able to have characters in your party early in the game to have 100% approval. Not to mention lovers quarrels!

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 10/02/11 11:31 AM

So Stefanie, in DAO who's you're 'special friend'? Is it Lelianna, Zervain, Alistar or...oh i know, your little buddy Oghren. laugh

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 10/04/11 10:20 AM

First Playthrough
Hero = "Stefanie" (female human mage)
Squeeze = Leliana

Second Playthrough
Hero = "Stravinsky" (male human noble warrior)
Squeeze = Morrigan throughout the game, but later married Queen Anora because Morrigan has commitment issues

Third Playthrough

Hero = "Michelle" (female human noble rogue)
Squeeze = King Alistair
Posted by: quillpennuthecar

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 10/06/11 10:21 PM

Gothic 2 (PC)

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/11/11 12:26 PM

Barely an hour and a 1/2 (20min spent in Character creation) and I can pretty much assume that Skyrim is going to be making the ranks. God damn phenomenal game that loses all of the short comings of Oblivion, keeps and reaches all of the aspirations, and raises the pros of Fallout + goes beyond further.
I'm too impressed for words & couldn't be more anxious to get the hell out of work and back into my game.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/13/11 10:33 AM

Not sure how many hours I am into the game yet, but i'm level 6, got about 3 or 4 thousand gold plus some rather expensive jewels/treasure, I have yet to fight a dragon, have cleared out two dungeons, haven't chosen any perks yet (by choice! You can hold off choosing perks until you are good and ready to commit), and I've been generally having an amazing time as a dual caster/sword fighter in my heavy armour.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/15/11 02:37 PM

I'm with you on the character creation. I spent about 45 minutes in character creation my first time in Dark Souls. It allows for a lot more customization than the average game, but I still wish games allowed for more detail, especially with hairstyles, beards, and makeup.

I doubt that I'll get any of the Elder Scrolls games because of Bethesda. Maybe after Skyrim has been out for a year and there haven't been any reports of freezing or game-breaking glitches, I might reconsider.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/15/11 03:10 PM

Check some of the reviews; very few (if any) game breaking glitches/freezes have really been reported. I've been personally having a very smooth time! I had one moment at the start where it paused longer than I would like while performing an autosave,.. But everything else has been smooth!

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/16/11 07:22 AM

http://m.kotaku.com/5859983/do-not-let-skyrim-overflow-your-ps3/gallery/
Apparently I spoke too soon!
It looks like it builds up on you slowly :[
Bethesda has already announced that updates are soon on their way, but have not specified what issues they will be addressing. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/16/11 10:43 AM

Sounds like the same pattern as Fallout 3 & NV... as the save file grows, the bugs really kick in.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/16/11 01:53 PM

I'll let you know what news comes of this.
I'd suggest waiting until everything settles before making any investments.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/28/11 07:52 PM

The game has been patched!!!
There are possibly still a few small faults, but I haven't seen anything since updating. Looks and works smoothly/ great!

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/29/11 10:49 AM

That's good to hear. I know that you and others who've already bought the game must be relieved. Too bad Fallout didn't get fixed.

While Bethesda's problems are usually bugs that impede game play (slowing down, freezing, getting your PC stuck in the environment), From Software's "Soul" games are usually plagued by exploitable glitches that break their games in just the opposite way, by allowing players to do too much (creating infinite lives and currency, duplicating items, etc.). Dark Souls recently got a patch (Patch 1.05) that eliminates most of those glitches and fine tunes some other game play aspects, but some players already had easy access to trophies/achievements and unfair advantages against other players online.

Then, there's Bioware. Games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect seem to be relatively free of bugs and glitches, until you try to install DLC that won't correctly match up with the rest of the game. When the problems finally get patched, you have to create new save files to get the fix, because current games in progress aren't corrected.

It's a shame that these companies use paying consumers to test their games after they it the shelves. Sadly, that practice has become the norm. But, I suppose a patch is better than no patch.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/06/11 12:02 PM

I finally got the Platinum trophy for Dark Souls (whoever said "pimpin' ain't easy" was right), so I'll be looking to either go back and finish some remaining trophies on old games or buy some new ones (Batman, Skyrim).

Originally Posted By: Gevin
Skyrim... phenomenal game... too impressed for words...

1) Is Skyrim strictly single player?

2) What does the game play feel like (Fallout, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Demon's Souls, etc.)? So far, I've heard it being compared to Fallout (3 & NV) more than anything else.

3) Now that you've had the patch (2.01) for a while, did it fix what it was supposed to fix?

EDIT: Here's a Eurogamer Article regarding the technical issues with Skyrim on the PS3.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/06/11 09:52 PM

It's from the same people as Fallout 3, so yeah, it has a LOT in common.
Just swap bullets for mana or arrows, guns for bows or spells, and melee weapons for.. Melee weapons (swords, axes, maces). But most of the game is pretty much the same. The world is huge, you can explore "everywhere" there arent really any locations that are "just for show". If you see a house, you can almost assuredly picklock your way in, you can climb basically all of the mountains (though you might have to run around the mountain to find paths that are less steep), pretty much anyone anywhere can be killed (and yeah, you can probably mess up your quests pretty badly if you start killing the wrong people), you can get followers (which can be a dog), you can ride a horse, you can become the guild leader to a group of thieves, assassins, general warriors, you can become the archmage of a Mage college, you can wage wars, you can clear out upwards of nearly a hundred (probably more) dungeons, ...I'd say that all of your skills learned from playing Fallout and New Vegas can easily be applied to Skyrim.
Oh, and you can blacksmith, enchant, and create potions.
If you want to see something really cool, check out some YouTube videos on what sneak attacks look like.
Me, I'm playing a destruction magic Mage (which isn't really the strongest build of character, but it is a lot of fun!)

The lag got a lot better with the last update, but (having gotten even further) its not perfect.
Bethesda has announced intention to continue updating the game with patches to iron out the rough edges.
I'd say the time to invest is now. I would certainly reccomend Skyrim over Batman (Arkham Asylum might be a good cheap investment for you)

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/09/11 09:51 AM

While I must admit that the post appocalyptic mutant infested wasteland of Fallout is a prefered atmosphere/environment/world, everything else about Skyrim is hands down far better.
You gain skill points by doing actions & you gain levels by gaining skill points, thus if you maximize your swordsmanship to 100 skill level you will cease acquiring skill points going toward a level up through swordsmanship alone; forcing you to start utilizing a different skill to gain points in and use toward leveling. Also there are apparently upwards of 70 levels to progress to and a character CAN acquire a skill level of 100 In every skill.
But of course you only get a perk every time you level up & there are far more perks available (that are available on perk-trees, so you will be forced to get some unpreffered perks on your way to getting some of the more badass ones) than what you will eventually achieve, so you've gotta be picky about which ones you choose. Sure, there's no harm in regretting a small handful of perks not perfectly having been thought out (perk-tree wise), but generally speaking, your perks are a pretty huge deal.

Unlike in fallout, you can store your perks until you are 100% ready to place them. (as you recall, in F3 you had to choose skill points and perks immediately upon leveling up.)

I'm level 31 and have probably about 10 to 13 perks waiting for me to be "certain about".

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/09/11 01:46 PM

Thanks for taking the time to go into detail.

I would certainly recommend Skyrim over Batman (Arkham Asylum might be a good cheap investment for you)

That's high praise indeed, considering your high opinion of the Batman games.

The lag got a lot better with the last update, but (having gotten even further) its not perfect. Bethesda has announced intention to continue updating the game with patches to iron out the rough edges.

That's good to hear, and you're the second one who's said so. Another friend of mine on PSN (he's got 77 platinum trophies, so he's been around the block a few times) told me he was having no problems to speak of since the latest patch, and even before the patch, all he had to do was quit the game and reload his save file to stop the frame rate and lag-related problems. Now, he doesn't have to do that, even after being in the game for hours at a time. I'm still seeing a few complaints online, but if friends I actually play with say the game is running smoothly, that carries more weight.

Me, I'm playing a destruction magic Mage (which isn't really the strongest build of character, but it is a lot of fun!)

I always start off as a mage (Dragon Age, Demon's Souls), so I'm glad to know that's a fun way to go in Skyrim. Can mages use melee weapons and vice versa, or is your character locked into a particular "class behavior" based on your initial choice? Is it like Fallout, so that you can attribute points to skills any way you want? I assume that you purchase or pick up weapons along the way, as in Fallout, but how do you learn different spells?

Unlike in fallout, you can store your perks until you are 100% ready to place them. (as you recall, in F3 you had to choose skill points and perks immediately upon leveling up.)

Great! I hated being forced to use perk choices at certain levels in Fallout.

I can't believe that I'm considering buying another Bethesda game, but it's very tempting.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/09/11 04:26 PM

There are practically a dozen races to choose from when you start your character, each supposedly specializes in different play styles. Luckily whichever character you are doesn't really hold any long term weight (other than that some people are racist toward other races), anybody can be a Mage and anyone can be a swordsman or archer.
You gain skill by using the skill. So if I cast a spell, I gain skill in that field (of course you'll only gain the skill if it is an effective spell,.. So casting fireballs into the night sky does nothing, but casting a fireball at a bandit gives you skill points.)
All gained skill points (aside from counting toward their individual skills) go toward an overall gained level exp. Gain a level and you can increase stamina, mana, or health bar, you get a perk, and enemies in some areas scale in difficulty to match your level.

So while grinding exp out of swordsmanship will only give me skill in swords,.. I can choose to put my perks anywhere (whether that be alchemy, archery, or whatever.)

You can either find spell books or purchase them. ..you'll probably have to buy most of them.
Every human enemy will have a weapon of some sort to drop, so weapons are too plentiful. They won't always be good, you'll have to hunt down the best treasure/weapons, or smith them up yourself.
Perks in magic will make mana requirements less, spells do more damage, or various other stat perks.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/10/11 10:50 AM

The lag got a lot better with the last update, but (having gotten even further) its not perfect.
Bethesda has announced intention to continue updating the game with patches to iron out the rough edges.
I'd say the time to invest is now. I would certainly reccomend Skyrim over Batman (Arkham Asylum might be a good cheap investment for you)
One reason why, although i do want it, i'll wait for the GOTY version. I've got the GOTY versions of the previous two games and can't really complain about anything really major on them.

IMO Morrowind had much more to do in it than Oblivion despite the latter one having better graphics. So far as you can tell, is there plenty of quests as are the norm for the game of have they cut back compared to Oblivion?

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/10/11 11:54 AM

I didn't like Oblivion too horribly much and didn't play enough of it to compare and contrast the two
Posted by: Agatho52

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/10/11 02:03 PM

My Favorite Rpgs in order from favorite to least favorite

1.Persona 3 Fes
2.Persona 4
3.Diablo 2
4.Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
5.Torchlight

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/15/11 09:09 AM

There are practically a dozen races to choose from when you start your character, each supposedly specializes in different play styles.

Thanks. I've browsed the online wiki and watched a few videos, so I see what you're saying. I'll probably try to finish my last few trophies on Fallout: NV, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age 2 before taking on another game of that scope. Speaking of Fallout: NV, I probbaly won't bother with the DLC. I just want to complete everything in the main game.

Also, I need to get a new hard drive for my PS3, because I'm running out of space. Right now, I can't play any new game that requires a partial installation.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/15/11 11:30 AM

Delete old installs?

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/16/11 11:21 AM

Nope. I still play those old games, and some of the partial installations take so long (Metal Gear Solid), that I'm not willing to sit through them more than once (well, twice... YLOD!). Plus, several are non-disc games from the PSN store, such as Pac-Man and Space Invaders, so they can't go. They're relatively small, but I have quite a few of them.

A large part of my space is taken up by my multiple saves of RPGs. 5MB to 15MB per save file doesn't seem like much, until you have a hundred or so. I typically keep saves at points in the story that are major events and/or amusing situations, such as blowing up Megaton in Fallout 3 and the Landsmeet in Dragon Age: Origins, so I can revisit them whenever I want. Even if I deleted some things, it would only postpone the necessity for a new hard drive. I need to get a 1TB drive and be done with it.
Posted by: Animefangirl21

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 12/19/11 09:44 AM

Persona 3 FES
Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4
Grandia
Star Ocean :the First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Posted by: ChronoFusion

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/13/12 04:17 PM

Disgaea,fun gameplay mechnanics, story:) Currently playign the 4th one.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/14/12 02:39 PM

Well, since i've started playing Skyrim, i have to say that so far it's one of the most enjoyable.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/26/12 07:22 PM

Well i'm still playing Skyrim and as i said it's pretty decent. However, i'm finding a lot of glitches in the game which are driving be crazy. A few are:

1. For some reason i cannot get the Housecarl for Riften even when i did everything required. I even did the Civil War Quests and installed a new Jarl and even that doesn't work.

2. During my exploring i picked up the items for the Bards College quests so i decided to do them. I did and got paid, but...i cannot remove the items from my inventory even with the quest fully completed.

3. Similar to #2 only for the Mages College in Winterhold. I have a book that i picked up and received a quest to retrieve it. Cannot remove from inventory and cannot complete quest.

4. I have bought all 5 houses but only 2 of them can i actually use the weapon racks. Again-WHY???

5. Respawns. In the earlier games in the series it took about 3-7 days for any baddies that you may have fought in a cave or ruins or whatnot to respawn and you would be able to fight them again. So far i've not seen this happen unless it was quest related.

Has anyone else had problems or is it just me? I have the 360 version and am thinking of just using this game as a jumping off point for a new game so i know where NOT to make any mistakes in the future (hopefully).
Posted by: Cheap One

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/26/12 08:24 PM

I haven't played it myself. But I hear a lot of this from people who have. I didn't enjoy the last two Elder Scrolls games, so I learned my lesson and stayed far far away from this one.

I'm personally playing through Final Fantasy 13 right now so I can start on Final Fantasy 13-2. So glad Square released DLC to get Lightning in it as well.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/27/12 12:06 AM

Do you have the most recent patches?

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/29/12 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Cheap One
I haven't played it myself. But I hear a lot of this from people who have. I didn't enjoy the last two Elder Scrolls games, so I learned my lesson and stayed far far away from this one.
I've got the first two GOTY's and enjoyed Morrowind quite a bit. Oblivion wasn't bad, but, to me anyway, it just didn't seem to have the same umph that the first one did. So far Skyrim ,despite the problems, is still a pretty decent story.

Most times i usually wait for the GOTY so that all the bugs have been worked out, but with all the buzz on this one i thought that i'd give it a try...

I'm personally playing through Final Fantasy 13 right now so I can start on Final Fantasy 13-2. So glad Square released DLC to get Lightning in it as well.
I've got the FFXIII on the shelf waiting to be played. Hopefully it'll be sometime in the near future. How is the sequel?

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/29/12 12:15 AM

Do you have the most recent patches?
No. I don't have an XboxLive acct. Most of my playing is single player RPGing where i've not used any online services. As i said in the previous post most times i wait for the GOTY when most (if not all) the bugs have been worked out.

If the problem is that widespread i might see about going on my sisters acct and getting any patches needed.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/29/12 12:46 AM

I've got the FFXIII on the shelf waiting to be played. Hopefully it'll be sometime in the near future. How is the sequel?

I've just played the demo for 13-2 and from my time with that it seems to be a major improvement. Plus as I stated with Lightning now being DLC, I can't see how I won't enjoy it. As for me the worst parts of FF13 so far are the parts where they take Lightning away from you. I'm on Chapter 8 of FF13, so I still have some work to do till I finish it.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/29/12 09:41 AM

You shouldn't need a gold account. A silver account (free) ought to get you all of the update patches.
Posted by: Vata Raven

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/29/12 10:52 AM

Dragon Age, or at least I like Fenris and his sexy voice.
Posted by: Vata Raven

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/29/12 10:56 AM

I've just played the demo for 13-2 and from my time with that it seems to be a major improvement. Plus as I stated with Lightning now being DLC, I can't see how I won't enjoy it. As for me the worst parts of FF13 so far are the parts where they take Lightning away from you. I'm on Chapter 8 of FF13, so I still have some work to do till I finish it.

Are you series? I have to buy DLC for 13-2. Screw that game then, I'm just going to wait for the version of the game to come out with the DLC.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/29/12 02:01 PM

You don't have to buy the DLC to play the game. Lightning is just my favorite character and I want to have her around for a lot of the game and not just the story parts where the game makes you play as Lightning.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/04/12 03:43 PM

You shouldn't need a gold account. A silver account (free) ought to get you all of the update patches.

I'll need too check that out. Thanks for the info.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 04/25/12 10:49 PM

I can say this without any hesitation. Xenoblade Chronicles. I've racked up about 95 hours and I'm still full steam ahead. I'm finding out a lot about Melia (Melly) right now. I... we... my party just made her inauguration ceremony possible. Oh yeah...
Click to reveal..
She took her hat off!

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 05/07/12 11:50 PM

Xenoblade Chronicles continues to amaze me at every turn. I can't believe the sheer size of this game. Thank you Nintendo for remembering those of us out there that don't want to have our RPG's online. It's amazing what can be done with a game when so much of it's memory and power aren't devoted to online interface. What's even more amazing is that the plot continues to evolve and flourish right along with the seemingly ever expanding size of the game.

Furthermore, I believe that the game creators carefully categorized every annoying RPG element that's ever been... and DIDN'T put them into this game. Pacing is purely genius. It's set up to work for those who like to tear through games as fast as possible AND for those who like to meander through the spectacular world at their own pace, taking in all the sights AND for those of us completists who like to be GODS by the time we reach the finale. Seriously; I've played for 120 hours and I'm still rabidly exploring Bionis' beautiful vistas and strengthening my party, with no end in sight. Be it gem crafting, world exploration, skill tree learning, side questing, affinity building... it never gets old. I love this game like I've never loved an RPG before.

My pantheon of truly legendary RPG's has a new seat at the table. Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Tales Of Phantasia, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy; scoot over just a bit and make room for Xenoblade Chronicles.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 05/15/12 06:00 PM

So I worked last night (or early this morning) for the release of Diablo 3.
Boy was there quite a few people buying (or already bought, due to preorders) that game. Quite a few of which purchased the collectors edition & the strategy guide (which was about $100 for the game & $27 for the book).

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 05/15/12 06:56 PM

Gotta love CEs. I don't buy Prima Guides anymore outside of Zelda as their guides suck.

Just seen the guide is made by Bradly Games. Haven't read any of their stuff before. Though seeing how D3 is a PC RPG I guess any guide is better then no guide.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 05/15/12 07:18 PM

I was at Game Stop and was gonna go for it (buy Diablo 3) but inquired about internet requirements/options and was subsequently informed that it required constant internet access. I decided not to go for it.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 05/15/12 08:25 PM

I've now seven members in my party in Xenoblade Chronicles.
Click to reveal..
Fiora is back... more or less.
I cannot believe the majesty that is Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm at 130+ hours and I can't get enough. Not only is Xenoblade Chronicles the best RPG I've ever played, but it's gunning for the best game I've ever played; period.
Posted by: ZuruZora

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 06/02/12 01:23 AM

For me it's a tie between Persona 3: FES and Persona 4.

Persona 3 blew my mind when I played during one of my previous summers. It was by far the best highlight of my gaming experience in the past ten years. With Persona 4 I expected much of the same gameplay, but the story and the refinement of the game kept me interested. I put 16 hours in one day into Persona 4. Time well spent.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/10/12 05:03 PM

Nintendo Power constant coverage of Last Story has really got me chomin' at the bit! Those preodering it apparently get an impressive artbook.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/12/12 01:11 AM

I just got done with a several hour tear on Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm lost in the bowels of the Mechonis. Seeing as how I was lost (not really) I took the opportunity to hone some of my skills and aquire some sweet items, XP, etc... along the way.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/12/12 01:18 AM

Today I spent some time playing Catherine and Chrono Trigger on the Xbox360 and Wii. Been awhile since I have logged a handful of hours in one day.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/12/12 01:23 AM

Chrono Trigger on the Wii? I played it on the DS.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/12/12 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: kiku
Chrono Trigger on the Wii?

Yep, picked it up on the Wiis VC a few years back.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/12/12 01:28 AM

Oh... download. I've never downloaded anything for my Wii or DS, just solid media. Irregardless... Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest RPG's of all time IMO.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/12/12 01:38 AM

Yea, picked it up cause I had some leftover points after getting MegaMan 9 or 10 don't really remember which one. Saw Chrono Trigger and hadn't played it and heard lots of good stuff on it so I just went ahead and downloaded it as well.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/27/12 01:39 PM

Xenoblade Chronicles continues to amaze. I think I've about 175 hours into this, most epic of (J)RPG's. Plot twists abound! Never before have I experienced such character progression in perfect harmony with the actual gameplay.

I also think that Xenoblade Chronicles might be a somewhat different experience for different people. I for one have a Nintendo-born habit of searching every nook and cranny and (trying) to complete every side quest; not to mention regularly honing my characters' abilities. It should be noted however, that I am not referring to level grinding per say. There is a near infinite amount of tasks to be accomplished, not to mention the fact that it's a joy to simply explore the world. Some people on the other hand, plow headlong through a game with the finale always in their sights. Those folks will probably appreciate the teleport system; I know I do, considering the size of the world(s) of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Another facet that might create a different experience depending on the player, is the wide array of abilities, styles, skill, equipment, gems, affinities, etc... not to mention seven characters to form a three man (or woman) party. Some may tend toward the use of heavy armors and enhancements to direct force coupled with a healer (sniper) in the party. Others might hone the use and integration of auras in to their combat style.

Never before (in my experience) has a game so wonderfully rewarded the occasional walkabout. I still return to previous areas and find enemies that are way out of my league. Furthermore, every so often residents/denizens will have new quests/tasks for me to accomplish; some of said characters being more needy than others.

I've placed a real focus on a character lately, who was absent for a large portion of the game; seriously tragic. Xenoblade Chronicles' story doesn't unfold in front of you, it envelopes you; but not without a fight.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/28/12 12:08 AM

Skyrim had an improved leveling structure & visuals,.. But Fallout 3 was more engrossing. The world sucked me in more & the lasting memories of my adventures in the wastelands still stay with me. I can think of few games that have left such a strong impact.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/28/12 03:00 PM

Happy Birthday Gevin!

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 07/29/12 09:38 AM

Thank you very much smile I did have a good day yesterday! & today I plan on keeping it rolling by going to San Antonio Six Flags.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 08/01/12 12:04 PM

I just finished Nintendo Power's latest expose on Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi's "Last Story" and I am officially stoked! The visuals are delicious. yummy Moreover; as with any Final Fantasy(esque?) game, the main protagonists sword simply has to be sweet... and sweet it is.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 08/07/12 08:58 PM

Well... at about 185 hours, I finally did it. I beat Xenoblade Chronicles. It was the single greatest RPG I've ever played. The best part is: the 2nd playthrough lets you keep nearly everything! Here we go again!
Posted by: shinjiyo

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 10/29/12 01:49 AM

I love the new final fantasy game. Im thinking about pre-ordering Lighting's return: Final Fantasy 13 if i have enough money by than. great game. kinda wish they continue making new WILD ARMS games and BREATH OF FIRE. oh well, we all dream.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 10/29/12 09:16 AM

Final Fantasy is a great series. I'm more familiar with renditions of the older titles like 3 through 9. I really struggled with eight though. I never did get the hang of it. I've got "Last Story" sitting on my shelf waiting for me to try it out. I'm very exctited, it's by Hironobu Sakaguchi of Final Fantasy fame. I would check it out, but I just can't stop playing Xenoblade Chronicles; which I've got about two hundred and ninety hours into.
Posted by: shinjiyo

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 10/29/12 10:40 PM

last story? is that the one for the wii? I don't own a wii sadly. But if i remember correctly i think i saw that on youtube. looked pretty awesome. I also remember playing some of the old ff series when i was younger but never beaten any of them. I either got half way through or just started and quit. In the future i plan to play them all.

hmm final fantasy 8. heres a tip, you probably already notice this by now if not you'll soon later find out. The stronger you are, the stronger the monster are too and that also applies to GF. Its actually best if you dont level up at all. when you get the lamp from CID use it as soon as you get it. Fight diablo and junction that GF to some and try to make it learn this one skill (I forgot what its called) where you dont fight at all when walking.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 10/29/12 11:22 PM

Yup. Last Story is a Wii exclusive.
Posted by: Animejr

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/09/12 03:15 PM

Been playing tales of graces f and dragon quest 9 and both are high up on my favorite rpgs of all time. Big fan of final fantasy games and of course chrono trigger. Skyrim was also epic but many glitches. Hard to pick my favorite
Posted by: sailormoon4ever

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/11/12 09:33 AM

Final fantasy x,x-2 and ix,kingdom hearts,and legend of zelda

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/11/12 11:04 AM

What's your favorite Legend Of Zelda game?

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/11/12 05:32 PM

Link to the Past on SNES.
Posted by: HylianPanda

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/12/12 05:05 AM

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

put over 600 hrs into that game

and FFIX....cuz its awesome
Posted by: Animejr

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/12/12 10:01 AM

Ffix was really good been a long time ive played tho. Star ocean til the end of time is a game i really need to play

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/12/12 11:29 AM

Link to the Past on SNES.
A truly legendary title. The sword dash just never got old. If it existed, I sword dashed it. (scoot, scoot, scoot; dash, smash!)

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 11/12/12 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: HylianPanda
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

put over 600 hrs into that game

and FFIX....cuz its awesome
I have Final Fantasy IX for the original Playstation, ya know; the big bulky gray one. It's four discs! I vaguely remember havin' a helluva time in a prison. There was this red creature. I loved the characters. Zidane was awesome.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/12/13 03:25 PM

Last Story is proving to be an excellent combination of inspiration from Final Fantasy and Tom Clancy.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/15/13 11:33 PM

Well I obviously like the various Pokemon games.
In the Pearl version of that I had beaten the Elite 4 & Champion over 400 times.
I had somewhere around 400 hours in that game. Most of which was getting eggs/hatching eggs/leveling up Pokemon to evolve them (using EXP Share while one Pokemon trounced the E4/Champ was the best Exp gain in the game).

Of course back then there was no real help in getting the various Pokemon.
Now they have stuff like Egg Breeding Services, Cloning Services, and Special Pokmon services (leveling up, editing, etc).

Plus special sites you can get hard to find Pokemon (legends).

So with those services, what took me over 400 hours to complete only took a bit over 100. Yep that's right I yet again have every single Pokemon in existence in the PC storage system.

Of course this is in preparation for the upcoming Pokemon X/Y for the 3DS.

I also enjoyed Final Fantasy 9. It was cool having the "retro" look for the game. It was also a much more interesting & fun game than 8 (boy was that last area annoying on that).
Of course I have played pretty much all the Final Fantasy games (with the exception of 11 & 13). 12 was OK but seemed to be a bit too hard.

I also have played almost all the Zelda games. Though I missed Majora's Mask & Wind Waker due to no N64/Gamecube.
Not really sure which one I liked the most, but Phantom Hourglass was pretty fun.

That's 649 Pokemon by the way.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/15/13 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: EricDent
Though I missed Majora's Mask due to no N64/Gamecube.

You must fix this as soon as possible. Wind Waker is also a fun Zelda game, but much more missable then Majora's Mask.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/16/13 03:09 AM

Wind Waker is one of my faves. Right up there with Link To The Past, Ocarina Of Time, Twilight Princess, Minish Cap, and Skyward Sword

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/17/13 12:50 AM

I guess I missed Ocarina of Time, & Minish Cap as well.
I did not like Twilight Princess (boy do I HATE escort missions).
Haven't bothered with Skyward Sword (heard mixed reviews).

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/17/13 12:54 AM

No OOT? No MM? No MC? No TP? No SS?

I'm starting to question your Zelda fan-ness. The only big game you haven't said you haven't played yet is LTTP.

Edit: If you really want to play TP. I highly recommand the GameCube version. It plays better and doesn't glitch like the Wii version will sometimes.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/17/13 01:09 PM

I never had any problems with the Wii version. Man do I love that game. The howling in tune with the wolf on the peak and the battles with the lone skeleton warrior in the frozen tundra, pure awesone. I wonder if the Hyrule Historia that RightStuf is offering is col?

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/17/13 01:14 PM

Last Story continues to be a delicious stew of intrigue, moral questioning, RPG, and action, with a light seasoning of FPS. It is somewhat linear, but only to the point that you crave the times when roaming is possible; which is often enough.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/18/13 11:57 AM

The intrigue found in Last Story is really coming to a close. I got my a?? handed to me late in the epic battle with the game's final boss(es). Like any Final Fantasy game worth it's salt, I didn't conquer the ending on my first try. I'm kind of excited, even the final boss(es) are yielding weapon drops. I just got a knife (for casters) called Witchcraft and a sword(?) (for warriors) called Nightmare. BA.
Posted by: soup or man

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/26/13 01:58 AM

Favorite RPG of all-time? Probably Ys I & II. Others include Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Phantasy Star Online.

I dunno, there are many more. RPG's are my favorite genre so it's hard to name 'em all.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/26/13 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: soup or man
Favorite RPG of all-time? Probably Ys I & II. Others include Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Phantasy Star Online.

I dunno, there are many more. RPG's are my favorite genre so it's hard to name 'em all.
Wow, I'm on the same page. I've loved Wanderers From Ys (which I no longer have a copy of for my Super Nintendo), Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (Super Nintendo), FF The 4 Heroes Of Light (DS), FF 3 (DS), FF 4 (GB Advance & DS), FF 5 & 6 (GB Advance), FF 7 & 9 (PS 1), Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii), Chrono Trigger (DS), Parasite Eve (PS 1), Panzer Dragoon 1(I wish I still had my Saturn), Phantasy Star II & III (Gameboy Advance).

I've got Final Fantasy 8 and Parasite Eve 2 for my PS 1, but I could never really get into them. Parasite Eve is an amazing game. I've beat it more times than I can count on my hands and toes. I originally had Phantasy Star II for the Genesis and it turned me on to RPG video games. I never could beat the final boss though. I remember he was so big and nasty that he covered up his own stats at the top of the screen... brutal. That reminds me, I should really check out Phantasy Star III on my GB Advance. I lent out the original from the Genesis back in the day, before I had played it; and never got it back. Apparently it's epic. I searched long and hard, and after keeping my eyes peeled for more than a few years; I finally got my hands on a copy of the Phantasy Star Collection for the GB Advance. I got it for a goog price too. It's a direct port of the original three Phantasy Star titles. The GB Advance was legendary for ports. Ofttimes they were slightly improved over the originals too. Ya know, shinier, prettier, a couple o' extra dungeons, added map features; but rare was the occasion that anything was taken away or changed in a way that affected the original flavor of the games. Yep; it might be time to go retro, bust out Phantasy Star III my GameBoy Player on my GameCube; and enjoy it on the TV.

Now that I think about it, I've got the original Final Fantasy for the NES sitting around here somewhere; not to mention a GB Advance port with both 1 & 2 on it.
Posted by: sevi

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 01/29/13 11:56 PM

I play way too many RPGs to narrow it down to 1. I'd have to say the one that stands out most would be Thousand Arms. Not because it's my favorite but because I ended up liking it way more than I thought I would. It was a PS1 game that was part RPG part dating sim with neither part feeling tacked on, so to speak. All the elements were necessary for game play and blended well.
Posted by: PetrifiedJello

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/05/13 07:42 AM

Well, since i've started playing Skyrim, i have to say that so far it's one of the most enjoyable.

Skyrim lead me to Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas and the latter is, without doubt, my favorite RPG on the 360. There are very few RPGs whose ending is literally dictated by a player's actions, and F:NV certainly makes re-playability possible and still remain enjoyable.

Also, Vault 32 is one of the best vaults I ever had the pleasure of cleaning out. Spooky.
Posted by: ninjachad

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/09/13 11:56 AM

I haven't played many RPGs, but it'd probably be Tales of the Abyss. It's special to me, as it was the first game in a while at the time, that had me so intensely engrossed in the story of a game.

I'm currently in the middle of playing Tales of Graces F now. For some reason or another, a few days ago I was itching to play an RPG, and I never got far in ToGF when I got it originally. So, I started playing it again, and loving it! smile

I'm also considering getting Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and replaying Kingdom Hearts (never finished it).

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/09/13 12:10 PM

I'm nearing the conclusion of my second playthrough of Last Story. It's a delicious slice of Final Fantasy pie. I feel pretty BA walkin' around with both Zael and Syrenne in Dragon Greaves +10 and Dragon Armor +10. Although; it is pretty odd to see the anthropomorphized versions of the game's World Seed Dragons shootin' the s??? at Ariela's Tavern, during the cutscenes and character interactions. I've also discovered the games greatest foe... Syrenne. When under the spell of the Dark Muruk, your teammates lose their consciousness; and attack their own teammates. If Syrenne is under this spell, you have two options; fix it, or run like hell.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/12/13 11:00 PM

I've completed my second playthrough of Last Story. An excellent JRPG experience. A lot of love went into this title, and I felt it.
Posted by: The Yonryu

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/23/13 10:38 AM

I really liked Paper Mario growing up.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 02/23/13 10:47 AM

I really like Paper Mario... and I'm all growed up.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/03/13 01:18 PM

Been playing Etrain Odyssey 4: Legend Of The Titan.

If you are a fan of the old dungeon crawler RPGs and own a 3DS I highly recommend it. If you are just a fan of RPGs then you can check it out as well as there is an easy mode. It was a little rough at the start as I am too use to the newer RPGs that refill your health at the end of a battle, so you can be a little reckless at the end. That doesn't go so well when your health doesn't go back to full at the end of the battle.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/05/13 09:35 PM

Only 3 weeks left until Pandora's Tower!

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/25/13 12:34 AM

Wow. It's so crazy how much some of those RPGs for the PS1 are going for. Thousand Arms is going for $200+ and Alundra is going for almost $300 crazy

I originally bought Thousand Arms for $10 >.<

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/25/13 12:36 AM

Yep. People are crazy. I've seen copies of Earthbound for upwards of three grand.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/25/13 02:23 AM

Yeah. And it stinks cause I've always wanted to play Earthbound, too. But, on the plus side at least I never got rid of any of my PS JRPGs. Well, except Final Fantasy 7. You should have seen the way the guys at Gamestop were drooling over the fact that it was the original box art version. lol

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/25/13 11:13 AM

I no longer have my original copy of FFVII, nor my original PS; but I found a used PS several years ago and have a "Greatest Hits" copy of FFVII. I wish that I still had the awesome guidebook that I bought with the game back in the day. I think it was by BradyGames and it was indispensable for the FFVII experience. Then again, so was the guide to Earthbound. I mean; c'mon, who wants to find a contact lens in the destert without the guide. I miss you Starman!

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/25/13 03:51 PM

I'm pretty sure I don't have my original PS either. But since I still have my PS2 I can still play the PS1 games.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/26/13 03:08 PM

I still have my original PS1 and FF7 three disc set. I didn't have the guide, but I somehow managed to finish the game. "Epic" is a word that gets used too often without justification, but it truly applies to FF7. There was so much in that game for its time.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/26/13 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: PetrifiedJello
...Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas and the latter is, without doubt, my favorite RPG on the 360. There are very few RPGs whose ending is literally dictated by a player's actions, and F:NV certainly makes re-playability possible and still remain enjoyable.

Agreed. Too bad Bethesda is so incompetent at developing, because the games themselves are amazing. I can't even go back to enjoy my large save files in F3 because of the freezing issues. I enjoyed both, but I preferred F3 to FNV, even though FNV had fewer technical problems.

Originally Posted By: PetrifiedJello
Also, Vault 32 is one of the best vaults I ever had the pleasure of cleaning out. Spooky.

Was that the one with the aggressive plants? Most vaults are spooky to me, anyway.
Posted by: ZombyBob

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/29/13 07:33 PM

I've always been in love with Final Fantasy Tactics. Awesome story, and I love the job class leveling system from it. You can build all types of crazy teams.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/29/13 07:37 PM

I still have my original PS1 and FF7 three disc set. I didn't have the guide, but I somehow managed to finish the game. "Epic" is a word that gets used too often without justification, but it truly applies to FF7. There was so much in that game for its time.
I beat that game like 3 times, I couldn't get enough of it back in the day. I had one play through where I beat emerald weapson by mastering like 21 pieces of counterattack materia and putting 7 of them on each of my characters. That took alot of freaking time to set up, haha.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/30/13 01:35 AM

Beating Emerald Weapon... that is some s??? my friend. I can't lay claim to defeating that bad boy. Well played ZombyBob. BTW welcome to Anime Today.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/30/13 03:43 PM

I still shudder when I think about that one "boss" I ran into accidentally in FF6. Then again, you weren't supposed to be able to beat it...
~shudder~ Good gods, no matter what you hit it with... there's no damage TT^TT

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/31/13 12:13 AM

You must be referring to the legendary Omega Weapon. Beat him. I turned that game upside down and inside out more than once. It is truly a wonderful game. I prefer to play it on my Gameboy Player on my Gamecube.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/31/13 01:06 AM

You must be referring to the legendary Omega Weapon. Beat him. I turned that game upside down and inside out more than once. It is truly a wonderful game. I prefer to play it on my Gameboy Player on my Gamecube.

Nope, it was the Invincible Guardian in Vector. Back on the SNES version back when it was reffered to as FFIII. Stoopid tank >_<

Found a video. It's from the Advance version, but this is it
www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5KrJ9uIJFQ

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/31/13 03:03 AM

Thank you much Kiku. It actually was kinda easy with the set up, had everyone's ult weapons and enough counter attack materia that every time he attacked someone they countered him 7 times with 9999 hits. You know that sequence of attacks where he opens the eye lasers and does piddly amounts of damage to everyone on the team. He got smacked hard for each one, haha. You just have to make sure one person on the team has final attack and phoenix junctioned together so when he does his stupid kill your whole party attack that you all just get back up. Then you laugh and keep beating him down.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/31/13 03:19 AM

Boy... I haven't played 7 in such a long time. I remember one of my favorite attacks was Alexander, and Knights Of The Round of course.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/31/13 03:20 AM

The Satyros Aht just joined my party in Radiant Historia. So cute.
Posted by: formerroadie

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/31/13 12:19 PM

At the moment, it's Persona 4

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/31/13 07:51 PM

Boy... I haven't played 7 in such a long time. I remember one of my favorite attacks was Alexander, and Knights Of The Round of course.
Haha, I got so tired of doing the summons cause of how long they took, which is why I made myself come up with a way to beat emerald with pretty much just physical attacks in the first place. They are so cool, but if you use them all the time it makes fights take forever.

Re: What's your favorite RPG game? - 03/31/13 11:39 PM

Just want to take the time to recommend The Glory of Heracles for the Nintendo DS. It's a fun, short, quirky JRPG and super cheap and easy to obtain. And the game is so unfortunately very underrated.