New website - some details of new features

Posted by: The Dark Lord

New website - some details of new features - 05/24/12 02:48 PM

As I am sure all of you have already noticed, the site was updated yesterday and has a whole new look. Certainly, change is scary and things might not be exactly where they were before. I hope you'll take some time to do some exploring; if you can't find what you are looking for, reply here and we'll point you to it and/or see if there are changes we need to make to have things more accessible. The new site is the culmination of many months of work by our entire IT staff, and although we did have it available for proofing, as with any very large project, there's likely to be some issues. We're actively working to address many of these, with a number of modifications already posted in the last couple of days.

One of the biggest changes to the site is how it is displayed. In the past, we had one static page that was displayed exactly the same no matter what device or size of screen that you had. The new site uses what is called "responsive design" in that it detects the size of your screen and adjusts accordingly. If you are on a smartphone, it will present the site optimized for that sized screen. The site will adjust if you are using an ipad, in both landscape and portrait dimensions. All in all, the site can adapt to 5 different sizes at the moment - which means when our staff was working with the site, we actually had to build, test, and deploy 5 websites, not just one!

Search is a big component of the site relaunch, and we're moving to a much more intelligent search engine. Information is provided as a search over the entire site, products, news, podcasts, and more, and the ability to use operators and fuzzy logic with the search makes it much more powerful than the old version. A nice post talking about some of the many capabilities can be found here: http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/search/help/

You'll note a leaderboard on the right edge of the site. This new feature provides trending purchases from customers, so you can see what the most popular items being added to carts from customers is. This information is updated periodically so you can see what are the most popular items our customers are buying are.

We've added more display of products on the front page - you'll notice there are sliders allowing you to browse featured items, preorders, and top sellers by category. The site will provide a random category when you visit, but you can change this easily in the more top sellers box if you want to see best selling DVDs, graphic novels, and so on. Integration with the store is much tighter now than in the past.

We've tightened up navigation on the site and reorganized the footers so that the information hopefully is more accessible. The front page provides links to the most recent news and forum topics.

Social media is much more integrated with the site, allowing you to easily share with your friends different news items and featured products.

More than anything, however, is the difference in the architecture of the site. The way things are built, we have the ability to much more rapidly respond to customer concerns. This quick responsiveness has allowed us to already address a number of issues customers have brought to our attention and we are actively working on several more that will be updated shortly. The site will be more customizable and that will allow us to be more active in modifications to benefit our buyers.

We're actively interested in your input - we know that it's different and that's a bit of a shocker, but hope that you'll be happy with the results and our ability to continue to make it better. We have a survey link open to report bugs and provide comments:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QDTH2L8

Thank you very much for your continued support. Myself and all of our staff appreciate your business and we want to do everything that we can to make our site a place you enjoy coming back to again and again.

Best,
Shawne Kleckner
Dark Lord of the Minions
Right Stuf, Inc.

Posted by: kiku

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/24/12 05:56 PM

I would very much like to give a little feedback regarding the new changes here at RightStuf. I feel that these new changes are a direct indication of the RightStuf's commitment to excellence. Sure; I, like many here am somewhat traumatized by the new changes. Many of us believe: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well truth be told, I felt that way immediately; but it was just my inital reaction. I'm assuming that these new changes are not only for aesthetics, but indicative of online security improvements among other things. This is comforting to me. Personal security is very important to an online shopper. I could also assume that this new format will be easier to maintenance for RightStuf, because it is more up-to-date. Who knows what we could expect from this new system? Maybe some cool new features, such as the ability to see (or be notified) when previously released items come back into stock for a short period of time. I've noticed while sifting through the online catalogue that from time to time an item (ex: Strawberry Marshmallow vol. 2, DearS vol. 3, Brigadoon vol. 3, etc...) will show up (ever so briefly) and be gone the next time I think to check on it (or order it). Maybe this feature could be integrated to function somewhat like the new/changed items (which ofttimes doesn't list these small changes).

As always, keep up the good work RightStuf. I will endeavor to persevere, and acclimate myself to the new surroundings; and continue to be a loyal RightStuf customer.

Finally; I would like to note that I'm running the Lion operating system on my Mac and the site interface is running like a top.
Posted by: BWBODDY

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/24/12 11:08 PM

I hear you kiku....
eek *But I'm scared, I don't like change* eek

Originally Posted By: The Dark Lord
Search is a big component of the site relaunch, and we're moving to a much more intelligent search engine. Information is provided as a search over the entire site, products, news, podcasts, and more, and the ability to use operators and fuzzy logic with the search makes it much more powerful than the old version.

In the past if I put in a . or : or left out the word The, etc...
I'd get zip, what if I typed One Picee instead of One Piece.. etc.
Does it help if you're close but not dead on, word for word or misspelling?

I haven't tried it yet, I'm just saying

I am here, but it'll be a while till you see "more" of me grin

Posted by: Richard Harms

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/24/12 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: BWBODDY
As an example, if you're not sure how to spell something, put a tilde (~) after the word. For example, "One Picee~".
Posted by: hen-neko

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 12:16 AM

The site looks great and the thumbnail search is nice, but there are many items whose descriptions are too long to fit (especially once it switches to 4-across thumbnails), and with volume numbers at the end of the description, it takes squinting at the thumbnails or clicking everything to figure out which volume is which, especially since it looks like the results aren't sorted by name anymore. For instance, searching for "sakura hime" gets me volumes 8 2 1 3 4 5 6 7 in that order.

I don't know if your database or sources can support it, but maybe it's time to add a separate volume number field so it can be shown separately from the title so the results can say:

Quote:
Series with a long title...
Vol: 82
Retail: $5000
Your Price: $8.99

But wait! Just think of all the other things that you could do with that! Since it'll be a number, the computer can sort them so that volume 10 comes after volume 9! laugh Also, in addition to the "other people bought" section, you could link all the other volumes in the series (bonus points for using checkboxes to add them all to the cart at once instead of having to open each item page) laugh Mixing box sets and singles might need a little thinking but it should still work.

(I went back to search for just "sakura" to see if everything came out in random order, and just now noticed the tooltips on the thumbnails have the full description field... but only on things with thumbnails, "image coming soon" doesn't show a tooltip.)

(Now that I poke around more, the "search the store" box from the bottom of an item page still uses the old non-thumbnail listing format with the wider Description column, so I can browse that way)

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Richard Harms
As an example, if you're not sure how to spell something, put a tilde (~) after the word. For example, "One Picee~".

Now that is a good piece of information to know !!
Thanks !!
grin

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 01:32 AM

That is a handy tidbit of information.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 07:52 AM

We've added a "?" next to the search box so people can click for search tips.
Posted by: joelgundam01

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 10:00 AM

Will this search feature be carried over to the store section eventually? Or is it just a main page thing?

Currently, I like the fact that you can search using missed spelled words and the other unique functions. However, I don't like it pulling everything from your website (podcasts, news, etc...). When I go to Right Stuf, I solely search for products from your store.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 10:57 AM

Now that Iíve got some things figured out, Iím happier. grin

Now I see the RightStuf.Com Home page,
before I was only seeing what turned out to be the Anime Superstore page.

At first I thought it was the New, Very Bland and Very Ugly RightStuf.Com Home page.
So things are looking more familiar but different.

I am starting to see the Forest through the Treeís.
grin

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 11:28 AM

At first I thought it was the New, Very Bland and Very Ugly RightStuf.Com Home page.

You probably visited the site at the wrong time. Rich said in one of his posts that it was suppose to take only 10 minutes to apply the changes, but it took over an hour. If you visited the site within that hour, then yes you pretty much saw a bare bones layout.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: joelgundam01

You probably visited the site at the wrong time. Rich said in one of his posts that it was suppose to take only 10 minutes to apply the changes, but it took over an hour. If you visited the site within that hour, then yes you pretty much saw a bare bones layout.

And to think, that was the main thrust for my original postÖ.
The NEW SITE SETUP is a BAD IDEA post.
I can see now how all the pages are still, more or less, the same, just with new and improved options and graphics.

And Joel, Iím sure you know thisÖ. It was even a bigger shock for me ( and I bet you too ) because of the Dyslexia.
Nothing was as it was suppose to be, it was like looking at Alphabet Soup when a moment ago it was Chicken Noodle.
And it also contributed to the reason behind the post.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 03:47 PM

And Joel, Iím sure you know thisÖ. It was even a bigger shock for me ( and I bet you too ) because of the Dyslexia.
Nothing was as it was suppose to be, it was like looking at Alphabet Soup when a moment ago it was Chicken Noodle.
And it also contributed to the reason behind the post. [/font]

I was out shopping (bought a new game) when it occurred. By the time, I came back online your post was four hours old and the site had a nice coat of paint. smile

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/25/12 06:27 PM

And it also contributed to the reason behind the post. [/font]

I was out shopping (bought a new game) when it occurred. By the time, I came back online your post was four hours old and the site had a nice coat of paint. smile

It is comforting to come to the ForumÖ It hasnít changed grin

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/26/12 10:42 AM

There still isnít any easy way to go to Got Anime from RightStuf site.
At the very least you could put it under Community.
BUT, I would like to see a
Got Anime Logo on your main page that all I have to do is click on it.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/26/12 10:53 AM

There's a link to the site on the product listing.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/26/12 11:04 AM

There's a link to the site on the product listing.

I know... BUT COME ON !!
All the work they did, and still it's no easier getting to Got Anime.
Quote:
There still isnít any "easy way" to go to Got Anime from RightStuf site.

PLUS ! they did ask for suggestions...

At the VERY LEAST it could be listed under Community

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/26/12 12:31 PM

I wonder if the tilde works in other search engines. confused

When using Safari; I often use "quotes" around a sentence or phrase I search to insure it is searched in the desired sequence and add a plus+ before an item that must be in the search results, and conversely a minus- for an item that I don't want in the search results.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/26/12 01:39 PM

I know... BUT COME ON !!
What're the main things you use Got Anime site for?

I look at it mainly as a resource for members, and figure most of them would have it bookmarked. I do have some others (internally in the company) asking me about making it more prominent as well, but I don't really look at it as a site that's there to sell Got Anime memberships.

I'd love to hear your feedback on it...

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/26/12 01:44 PM

I know... BUT COME ON !!
What're the main things you use Got Anime site for?

I look at it mainly as a resource for members, and figure most of them would have it bookmarked. I do have some others (internally in the company) asking me about making it more prominent as well, but I don't really look at it as a site that's there to sell Got Anime memberships.

I'd love to hear your feedback on it...

Someone PM'd me with a good reason why it is as it is..
So I'm good... grin
Thanks again for the fast reply Richard

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/26/12 01:53 PM

Got Anime is one the very few memberships that is actually worth my time. Sure, some memberships might save you a little money; but they often make you jump through hoops to get it. I don't have the time or patience to get a receipt code, go online, print a coupon, and subsequently use it at a store in a short window of time before it expires. Got Anime does it all for me. It's cheap, simple, and effective. Love it! Keep up the good work RightStuf. BTW I keep the Got Anime login (get stuf'd) page in my bookmarks bar for easy access.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/26/12 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: kiku
Got Anime is one the very few memberships that is actually worth my time. Sure, some memberships might save you a little money; but they often make you jump through hoops to get it. I don't have the time or patience to get a receipt code, go online, print a coupon, and subsequently use it at a store in a short window of time before it expires. Got Anime does it all for me. It's cheap, simple, and effective. Love it! Keep up the good work RightStuf. BTW I keep the Got Anime login (get stuf'd) page in my bookmarks bar for easy access.

YUP!
It's the best thing since sliced bread
laugh
Posted by: SD Maruko-kun

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/29/12 06:32 AM

Since "weekly specials" over the years has grown from something like 2 1/2 pages to something like 5 pages of entries,
it would be very nice if some filters from the advanced search page could also be implemented on the "weekly specials" page:
the "Media" pulldown (default it to "all" of course), the "Adult?" and the "Live-action?" filters.

That way quickly checking things like "which books are in the weekly specials?" or "which non-h anime DVDs/Blu-Rays are in the weekly specials?" should be much easier. smile

(Talking about your advanced search: isn't having both "Age Rating" and "Adult?" a bit redundant?
And what are entries called 321, 93 and "dis" doing at the Age Rating pulldown? wink )
Posted by: npcomplete

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/29/12 08:34 AM

I just wanted to chime in on the redesign. I like the new look and layout.

I also noticed two longstanding bugs affecting me were fixed: one where current searches affected the continued listing of previous searches (search sessions were not independent), and the other where items disappeared from the Cart after some time. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/29/12 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: SD Maruko-kun
Talking about your advanced search: isn't having both "Age Rating" and "Adult?" a bit redundant?

Not really! Some of the Adult products are "not rated" but are labeled as "adult". For example, some of the figures come to mind. It also helps to have the two separate, especially when you want to exclude kids show (using the Age Rating) from the list as well.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/30/12 04:56 AM

Not really! Some of the Adult products are "not rated" but are labeled as "adult". For example, some of the figures come to mind. It also helps to have the two separate, when you want to exclude kids show (using the Age Rating) from the list as well.

Well, intuitively I'd see "Adult: no" as just a shortcut to "everything but 18+ from the Age Rating", but I guess that's not the case. Labeling something as Adult not automatically adding a 18+ tag just seems weird to me...

And a note about Advanced Search's "Live Action?" and "Adult?" options: end users might prefer a yes/no there instead of a direct 1:1 "oh, we implemented those database fields as yes/blank / yes/NULL" transfer... Let the backend handle the no <-> NULL/blank conversion. wink
</computer geek>
Posted by: XXX

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/31/12 12:38 AM

I've been using the site for years now to purchase anime. I'm not against the change in look but the search function is beyond terrible. I had to go through several "categories" before finding the search engine on the bottom left hand side that actually took me to what i was looking for. The "Advanced Search" takes unreasonably long to even look for something simple. Is there any way to get to items quickly?
Site Appearance: B+
Site Ease-of-Use: D-

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/31/12 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: XXX
I'm not against the change in look but the search function is beyond terrible. I had to go through several "categories" before finding the search engine on the bottom left hand side that actually took me to what i was looking for.

Well that's because the search on the main page is designed to search the entire site (products, news article, podcasts, etc...), while the search in the "Anime Superstore" is designed to just search for products.

I personally have never used the search on the main page. I've always used the search in the store, which has been located at the same spot for the last decade (bottom left hand corner).

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/31/12 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: XXX
I've been using the site for years now to purchase anime. I'm not against the change in look but the search function is beyond terrible. I had to go through several "categories" before finding the search engine on the bottom left hand side that actually took me to what i was looking for. The "Advanced Search" takes unreasonably long to even look for something simple. Is there any way to get to items quickly?
Site Appearance: B+
Site Ease-of-Use: D-
Both the "search" and "advanced search" engines are located approximately 14 inches above this post.
Posted by: Cheap One

Re: New website - some details of new features - 05/31/12 10:53 PM

Yea I really don't understand how it is harder to find the search now. It is just as easy and to me the advanced search is even easier as it is part of the arrow down menu on the homepage to the store now.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/01/12 10:14 AM

I like how easy it is to get to "new/changed items". It's the first thing I do when I get to RightStuf. It's the first drop down on the left labeled "store" and it's the second item in the drop down right under, lo and behold; "advanced search".

The second thing I do when I get to RightStuf is check the "daily deals" which just so happens to be in the selection labeld "money savers" immediately following "new/changed" items in the aforementioned "store" drop down.
Posted by: TroyR

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/05/12 04:11 PM

Hey everyone - we added the Live Chat button to the top of every page in the website portion this afternoon. We also fixed some of the sub-pages where the link would disappear if your browser resolution was under a certain amount.

We are also adding/fixing a few things every few days, so I'll try and keep everyone posted. Thanks again for all your comments, they've really helped us on some key decisions. smile

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/05/12 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: TroyR
Hey everyone - we added the Live Chat button to the top of every page in the website portion this afternoon. We also fixed some of the sub-pages where the link would disappear if your browser resolution was under a certain amount.

We are also adding/fixing a few things every few days, so I'll try and keep everyone posted. Thanks again for all your comments, they've really helped us on some key decisions. smile

Thatís it !!!!Ö grin
Thatís One of the Things that I was missing, that I couldnít think of
Posted by: zrdb

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/05/12 08:26 PM

I really don't like the new website layout but I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/05/12 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: zrdb
I really don't like the new website layout but I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

DITTO !

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/06/12 08:57 AM

We are continuing to make revisions and changes. Let us know what you would like to see - we want your feedback. If there's a feature that seems harder to get to that you used, etc, let us know.

Updated search results - 06/06/12 05:44 PM

Search results now may be shown in list view or grid view. Your choice will be stored in a cookie so that it stays the same on your subsequent visits.

More updates are coming, but this was just rolled out and I wanted to post about it!

Re: Updated search results - 06/06/12 07:42 PM

Oh very nice. I never thought about adding such a thing, it works very well with the Weekly Specials and will be of use for searches.

Re: Updated search results - 06/06/12 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: The Dark Lord
Search results now may be shown in list view or grid view. Your choice will be stored in a cookie so that it stays the same on your subsequent visits.

More updates are coming, but this was just rolled out and I wanted to post about it!

Iím sure itís just me, but I entered the name of a Known item into "Search the Store"
I than did an "Advance Search", where I had to choice the equal to or not equal stuff
( that never stops being an annoyingly abstract question to pose, I wish you would change that )

The thing is nether time did I see anything that gave me the option on how listed items are viewed.
Could someone enlighten meÖ. THANKS !
grin

Re: Updated search results - 06/06/12 08:46 PM

Me either. I even logged out of Anime Today and subsequently logged out of RightStuf. I then restarted my computer and then logged back in to RightStuf and Anime Today hoping that maybe the new list/grid option might install itself, but I got bupkis.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/06/12 08:50 PM

The Dark Lord requested feedback in this topic, so here's mine:

I would like it to be easier to logout from RightStuf. As it stands I have to enter my password and go into my account to logout. Maybe it could be right next to the "sign in" button. Or, then again; maybe there's a good reason that the logout isn't available on the storefront.

Re: Updated search results - 06/06/12 09:39 PM

BW -

Quote:
Iím sure itís just me, but I entered the name of a Known item into "Search the Store"
I than did an "Advance Search", where I had to choice the equal to or not equal stuff
( that never stops being an annoyingly abstract question to pose, I wish you would thing that )

The updated search is on the actual website, not the store. The two searches are completely separate.

I know it can be confusing.

The list/grid view is from the main website searches, not the ones that have the 1-800-338-6827 in the URL.

Re: Updated search results - 06/06/12 09:45 PM

Where exactly do I find this list/grid choice feature?
Posted by: ninjachad

Re: Updated search results - 06/06/12 10:52 PM

I believe I've found it. Use the search engine on Rightstuf's homepage and when you do, you should see two faded icons next to the word "Products".

Re: Updated search results - 06/06/12 11:17 PM

BW -

Quote:
( that never stops being an annoyingly abstract question to pose, I wish you would thing that )

The updated search is on the actual website, not the store. The two searches are completely separate.

I know it can be confusing.

The list/grid view is from the main website searches, not the ones that have the 1-800-338-6827 in the URL.

OIC blush
THANKS ! grin

Re: Updated search results - 06/06/12 11:42 PM

Yea, I was reading it wrong as well when it was first posted. I was thinking store search and didn't test out the feature to see if that is what was happening.

Re: Updated search results - 06/07/12 04:05 AM

Yep, for me as a geek it's a bit funny when searching for Spice & Wolf DVDs to have the
advanced search form nearly literally match 1:1 a SQL database query like
Quote:
SELECT * FROM 'products' WHERE 'title' LIKE "%spice%" AND 'media' = "DVD" AND 'adult' != "yes"

but most end users probably want a bit more "friendly" form where the backend just takes care
of the conversion...

(sorry if I offended any DB specialist by wrong use of quoting... ;-P )

edit: ugh, database/advanced search also needs an overhaul to correctly support DVD/Blu-Ray combo sets...
For ex. "Spice and Wolf Season 2 DVD/Blu-ray Complete Set" can't be found with "media = DVD", since it's only flagged Blu-Ray... frown

Re: Updated search results - 06/07/12 04:49 AM

Quote:
For ex. "Spice and Wolf Season 2 DVD/Blu-ray Complete Set" can't be found with "media = DVD", since it's only flagged Blu-Ray...

This is in the catalog / advanced search I take it.

There is a discrepancy in the two, and its a technology difference so I always use the main website search. I'll see if there's a way to tag it in 2 categories in the advanced search, tho.

If you haven't used the main site site, I highly recommend it. It is getting better and better. smile

Re: Updated search results - 06/07/12 08:58 AM

There is a discrepancy in the two, and its a technology difference so I always use the main website search. I'll see if there's a way to tag it in 2 categories in the advanced search, tho.
That's a feature we never built out in the 15 or so years since I originally wrote that search engine.

As a workaround, I'd recommend putting either "blu" or "dvd" in the title portion of the search box, in addition to whatever keywords your using to search for the show.

While we haven't enabled a more advanced search form for the main site's search, this problem with that system doesn't exist. There's tons of (right now) hidden fields/etc. that you can use when searching to help refine your results - there should be more coming soon there.

Re: Updated search results - 06/07/12 09:01 AM

Quote:
SELECT * FROM 'products' WHERE 'title' LIKE "%spice%" AND 'media' = "DVD" AND 'adult' != "yes"
If you're curious about the technical side of things, we're actually using Apache Lucene as the search engine for the "new" search. The "old" search is something I wrote myself many, many years ago. Neither are simple SQL queries.

Re: Updated search results - 06/07/12 10:51 AM

If you haven't used the main site [search], I highly recommend it. It is getting better and better. smile

I used it yesterday and I don't like it.

You claim it pulls everything with the word(s) in it. You're right and it works a little too good. I just used "Eden of the East" for the search and the first two items that pop up are your free bonuses items, that you get when you order a certain set. The problem with these bonus items is that they are very misleading. They have no product pages of their own (ie broken links) and they always appear on the top of the search results, because the search lists them by lowest price (default option).

Re: Updated search results - 06/07/12 11:06 AM

If you haven't used the main site [search], I highly recommend it. It is getting better and better. smile

I used it yesterday and I don't like it.

You claim it pulls everything with the word(s) in it. You're right and it works a little too good. I just used "Eden of the East" for the search and the first two items that pop up are your free bonuses items, that you get when you order a certain set. The problem with these bonus items is that they are very misleading. They have no product pages of their own (ie broken links) and they always appear on the top of the search results, because the search lists them by lowest price (default option).

The GWP items shouldn't display, I fixed that. I'll make a trip through the list to make sure the rest are handled as well.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/07/12 01:27 PM

"Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems.
Please try again later."

I've been getting this a lot when I try to go from page to page...
Like from My Wish List or RightStuf.COM to the Forum, etc....

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/07/12 07:01 PM

That's happened to me a few times lately too.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/07/12 07:39 PM

I found it! I found the list/grid view option! I like the grid view. It's got pretty pictures. It would be kinda cool if it was available for all search engines on the site. For example: Maybe there could be a selection in your account settings that would put any search you made on the site grid view as long as you were logged (signed) in.

I also discovered the search help question mark next to the search window on the RightStuf main site. That's awesome! It's loaded with great search tactics like the tilde (~). What a great idea. Do those tactics work on internet searches as well? I use " " and + when surfing the world wide intraweb to narrow my search, but all the tactics list in the search help section would further refine my searches. In any case, thanks for the sweet reference page RightStuf!

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/18/12 11:31 AM

I've noticed that the new revamping at RightStuf is hitting the forums now. So far I've been pretty pleased with the changes. Um... except I would like to point something out. The new motif looks nice at Anime Today, but I have a qualm. The old Anime Today layout was full screen and allowed me to see all of the forums at once. The new layout doesn't afford me that luxury. It's pesented in a sort of 4:3 ratio with a whole lot of nothing on the sides. When I get to the boards, I have to scroll down a bit to see the forums on the bottom; namely "Gaming Discussions", "Off Topic Discussions", and "Forum Discussions". It's not that big of a deal, but I don't see the point of taking away the full sceen view. It would be like me throwing out my widescreen television and buying an old 4:3 standard television. It doesn't make sense.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/18/12 11:47 AM

I've noticed that the new revamping at RightStuf is hitting the forums now. So far I've been pretty pleased with the changes. Um... except I would like to point something out. The new motif looks nice at Anime Today, but I have a qualm. The old Anime Today layout was full screen and allowed me to see all of the forums at once. The new layout doesn't afford me that luxury. It's pesented in a sort of 4:3 ratio with a whole lot of nothing on the sides. When I get to the boards, I have to scroll down a bit to see the forums on the bottom; namely "Gaming Discussions", "Off Topic Discussions", and "Forum Discussions". It's not that big of a deal, but I don't see the point of taking away the full sceen view. It would be like me throwing out my widescreen television and buying an old 4:3 standard television. It doesn't make sense.

Plus I canít see all of you post, it runs off the screen on the right.
It took me a minute to realize that, and to slide the image bar thingy at the bottom of my screen
to the right, in order to see all of your Post.
grin

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/21/12 10:13 PM

The Dark Lord requested feedback in this topic, so here's mine:

I would like it to be easier to logout from RightStuf. As it stands I have to enter my password and go into my account to logout. Maybe it could be right next to the "sign in" button. Or, then again; maybe there's a good reason that the logout isn't available on the storefront.
Thank you RightStuf. kiku loves ya.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/22/12 08:43 AM

Thank you RightStuf. kiku loves ya.

Looks like kiku noticed a little update to the main website... in the top navigation bar, there is now a drop down that lets you quickly sign in, check order status, register or go into your account settings. And if you are logged in - to log out. smile

The forums aren't connected to the main website, so that is why those options aren't on the top here.

Hopefully this helps to sign-in and out. smile
Posted by: PetrifiedJello

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/22/12 12:21 PM

Wow, it's been a while since I've been to TRSI. I had completely forgotten about the new design, and boy, does it knock you in the face. Adjustment is on me, not the design itself.

However, I'd like to point out a beef I've had, even with the old site, in that search/cart links are all over the place. Not to be rude, and certainly not to step on any of the design team, but these two items should appear the top of every page.

The links are sporadically placed. On RS's main page, search is at the top, but on the catalog page, they're all the way at the bottom again.

The cart wouldn't be a huge issue except for one thing: it's where we store our Save For Later items.

I honestly can't remember every title I'm interested in, so this list is my lifesaver when I'm ready to buy in bulk again.
:P

Search is helpful when I'm looking for merchandise, as I primarily use the "Titles by publisher" option.

Other than that, things seem easy to use/find.

Thanks for reading. smile

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/22/12 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: PetrifiedJello
in that search/cart

That is one of the issues we wrestle with on the technical side. The shopping cart itself is a completely different technology/platform than the website, and changing the workings of the cart piece is a difficult endeavor, to say the least.

Most of the improvements will be done on the website search side, which is why we are trying to do as much as we can with search there as possible. Updates to the cart part may come, but more infrequently.

Thanks for the feedback! smile

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/22/12 03:03 PM

However, I'd like to point out a beef I've had, even with the old site, in that search/cart links are all over the place. Not to be rude, and certainly not to step on any of the design team, but these two items should appear the top of every page.

I always found it odd the RightStuf main page does use that setup, but the store's main page doesn't. As the RightStuf main page has all the big things current sales, top new releases, top pre-orders and now top current items. You would think that page would have the search at the bottom.

I do agree the cart and search really should stay at the same place on the main page, store main page and items pages.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/22/12 03:07 PM

difficult endeavor, to say the least.

That is to say, more difficult, but not impossible! We're always working on things to make the shopping experience easier/better/awesome so we really love hearing your comments and suggestions. smile

Just didn't want you to think we weren't listening, there are some hoops to jump through to get that search moved up there that is more complicated than just modifying some HTML. It's on our minds though!

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/25/12 09:35 AM

That is one of the issues we wrestle with on the technical side. The shopping cart itself is a completely different technology/platform than the website, and changing the workings of the cart piece is a difficult endeavor, to say the least.

My apologies, as I may have misspoke.

I'm not asking for a new cart system. The current one has suited me well enough for years.

It's the links to the cart I'm annoyed with. The links are all over the place, depending on what page we're on. It would be very helpful if these links were atop each page.

Is there something behind the links that makes moving them (on the page) difficult?

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/25/12 04:29 PM

Is there something behind the links that makes moving them (on the page) difficult?

Yes, they aren't exactly a copy/paste fix/edit. It's on the list to investigate further, however. smile

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/28/12 11:27 AM

*huggles

Then I'll wait patiently.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 06/30/12 10:19 AM

Iíve got two option for viewing the Weekly SpecialsÖ
Why canít I get it to look like this ( the Daily deals ) ???
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/JeCcLiDu8tEMi9fNV1/browse/category/4/6112/0

Or this ( Bargain bin ) ???
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/JeCcLiDu8tEMi9fNV1/browse/category/4/2334/0

This is what the two options look like, for the Weekly Specials
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/JeCcLiDu8tEMi9fNV1/browse/category/4/153/0
OR
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/JeCcLiDu8tEMi9fNV1/browse/outline/4/153

It's like the Detailed Option isn't working right...
If it is, I say make it look like the Daliy and Bargain Bin Detailed Option

I'd like to see all of the DVD/Bluray stuff in the Weekly ( Detailed Option ) , like I do in the Daily...

Re: New website - some details of new features - 07/13/12 03:07 PM

We've added some more items into the "quick links" under the logo, let us know if these are helpful!

Re: New website - some details of new features - 07/14/12 02:55 PM

Wow! That's a total of 3 ways to reach "New/Changed Items" on the RightStuf frontpage.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 07/18/12 10:01 AM

And the enhancements continue!

If you perform a search from the main site, you will see additional search filters have been added, right next to the list/grid view options.

Now you can filter your search in several ways either by name/title (A-Z, Z-A), Relevance (super secret formula from highest to lowest, although you will probably never use lowest), and also date added (recent-oldest and vice versa). Plus you can change the amount of products displayed per page with an additional filter.

In addition, we have improved the functionality of the menus on mobile devices, too.

Hope everybody finds these useful! smile

Re: New website - some details of new features - 07/18/12 12:58 PM

And the enhancements continue!

If you perform a search from the main site, you will see additional search filters have been added, right next to the list/grid view options.

Can you add a filter that sorts by "price"?

Re: New website - some details of new features - 07/18/12 01:12 PM

Maybe filter is inaccurate, more like sort.

I'm not sure about that - but I will check!

Re: New website - some details of new features - 07/18/12 01:40 PM

Can you add a filter that sorts by "price"?
It is on the list of enhancements that will be added to it at some point. Right now, though, there's a couple complications and price isn't part of the index that we're using for the new search.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 07/18/12 03:23 PM

I would assume that one of said complications would be the fluctuating nature of "price" as data in the search equation, especially considering RightStuf's penchant for sales bargains.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 07/18/12 04:35 PM

I would assume that one of said complications would be the fluctuating nature of "price" as data in the search equation, especially considering RightStuf's penchant for sales bargains.
There's a number of different prices that we sell items for, with the easiest examples being how we sell our own label's items to other retailers, or the daily deals and weekly specials. The index that we're using right now to drive the new search is an item-centric search, coming off a view of the information that is aware of all the different pricing but doesn't know what the lowest store price is.

To sort by the "lowest available price in the store from all possible prices" is something we don't have indexed right now, and it required a more store-centric view of the items.

It's a weird point-of-view thing for the data issue, and I probably explained it poorly here, but it is high on the list of things I want to offer. We have a lot of pretty awesome (IMHO) search enhancements coming. What we have out now was really just laying the foundation for them.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/17/12 10:53 AM

What happened to the little triangles at the right of the differnet sections on the storefront (featured items, new releases, preorders)? It's not a big deal, I was just wondering. The most popular (or featured) four items were always up front, but you could hit the little triangle on the right to (scroll) look at the runner's up, honorable mentions, or last week's nominees as it were. The only reason I say anything is they did sort of serve a purpose. Someone who hasn't visited the site in awhile could quickly see what was happening while they were absent. I'm not petiioning for the return of the feature, I'm aware that there is a "more" button to hit to look at the rest of each category. I just noticed the feature's absence. "Ya don't know what you got, till it's gone."

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/17/12 04:54 PM

Hi Kiku, I think that was just the page of top sellers? There is something similar here:

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/categories

Im not sure if that is what you are looking for. If not, can you explain some more? smile

Thanks!

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/17/12 09:12 PM

I was referring to the storefront (frontpage). "New Releases", "Featured Items" and "Hot Preorders" all display 4 items. There used to be a small orange button on the right side of each category, with which you could scroll and look at more items from that category; without leaving the storefront (frontpage)... or I could be crazy. crazy

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/17/12 11:01 PM

It is still there Kiku. I do notice every so often it will be gone, but after a few moments it normally returns.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/18/12 09:00 PM

They're baaack. Maybe I am crazy. Don't worry about the voices in my head... we get along just fine.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/19/12 08:32 AM

HmmmI still can't find what you are referring to. Any chance you could do a screenshot and email it to troyr@rightstuf.com?

Thanks. Would like to understand it. smile

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/19/12 08:37 AM

Oh, you mean the scroll arrows on the from page of rightstuf.com? Yeah those have always been there - perhaps they weren't showing up for you for a while? Weird.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/19/12 10:33 AM

Oh, you mean the scroll arrows on the from page of rightstuf.com? Yeah those have always been there - perhaps they weren't showing up for you for a while? Weird.

Most likely the server was hanging on loading up the "scroll arrows" image.

I get it all the time on your site, where an image (or half the site itself) takes a long time for it to load. It just hangs and I don't experience this with any other site I visit.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/19/12 10:43 AM

Most likely the server was hanging on loading up the "scroll arrows" image.

I get it all the time on your site, where an image (or half the site itself) takes a long time for it to load. It just hangs and I don't experience this with any other site I visit.

When Iím going to the Forums.
I get Server Error a lot

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/19/12 03:49 PM

Yup. They were gone for a day or two. It's never happened before. They're back now though. Irregardless, it was no big deal; just something I noticed.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/20/12 12:18 PM

And if you haven't noticed yet, the product pages now have a "pin it" button to pin the product graphic to Pinterest. You can see all of the stuff people have been pinning at:

http://pinterest.com/source/rightstuf.com/

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/20/12 12:55 PM

I have never received an error message here. Next time it happens, let me know so I can look at the logs. Thanks. smile

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/20/12 01:00 PM

I have never received an error message here. Next time it happens, let me know so I can look at the logs. Thanks. smile

ROGER THAT !
* it "mainly" happens ( but not always ) when trying to go from my On-Order page to the Forums *

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/20/12 01:22 PM

Can you please look into the lag issue? It's getting ridiculous and it occurs almost on a daily basis for me. I don't get any error messages.

Web Browser: Firefox (latest version)

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/20/12 03:35 PM

We've looked at reports of speed and don't see and latency out of the ordinary - can you tell us what exactly are you experiencing? Thanks.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/20/12 07:00 PM

We've looked at reports of speed and don't see and latency out of the ordinary - can you tell us what exactly are you experiencing? Thanks.

My browser will load up about half of the page and then it goes to a complete dead stop for about 2 minutes and finally loads the rest of the page. It comes and goes but it's been happening more frequently lately. I believe it's coming from one of your third party scripts (such as a Google) that you are using.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/20/12 08:31 PM

My browser will load up about half of the page and then it goes to a complete dead stop for about 2 minutes and finally loads the rest of the page. It comes and goes but it's been happening more frequently lately. I believe it's coming from one of your third party scripts (such as a Google) that you are using.

It's probably indeed google-analytics, since I've ran into stalling on google-analytics on a few other sites... (both Firefox and IE should show in the bottom left which site it's waiting for) Normally I just shift-refresh if a page stalls on google-analytics for more than 10 seconds.
If it happens too often, you could probably also just block google-analytics with noscript/adblock/blackhole it to 127.0.0.1 in your hosts file/etc.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/20/12 11:59 PM

ROGER THAT !
* it "mainly" happens ( but not always ) when trying to go from my On-Order page to the Forums *
Now that you mention it B Dub, that's when I get error message too; when I try to go to Anime Today from My Account.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/21/12 10:15 AM

ROGER THAT !
Now that you mention it B Dub, that's when I get error message too; when I try to go to Anime Today from My Account.
Thanks for the feedback! Please give this a try again and let us know if you still run into an error. Troy and I managed to find a little glitch in the web server configuration that looks like it was causing this to happen from some areas of the site.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/21/12 10:38 AM

It's probably indeed google-analytics, since I've ran into stalling on google-analytics on a few other sites... (both Firefox and IE should show in the bottom left which site it's waiting for) Normally I just shift-refresh if a page stalls on google-analytics for more than 10 seconds.
If it happens too often, you could probably also just block google-analytics with noscript/adblock/blackhole it to 127.0.0.1 in your hosts file/etc.

Your right! The problem seems to be fixed after blocking Google-analytics with Noscript.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/21/12 10:41 AM

ROGER THAT !
Thanks for the feedback! Please give this a try again and let us know if you still run into an error. Troy and I managed to find a little glitch in the web server configuration that looks like it was causing this to happen from some areas of the site.

I just didÖ.
Try going from my "Orders Page" to "Forum".
This is what I got, and itĎs not what I got before..

https://www.rightstuf.com/ubbthreads/

A new thing that popped up when trying to go from my "Orders Page" to the "Forum"
Was "Only secure content shown" ---- "show all content"
Thatís on top of the fact that it sent me too
and didnít give me an error message this time.

If I click "Show all content", than it does take me to the Forums.

Still this only happen when trying to go to the "Forum" from my "Orders Page".

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/21/12 11:58 AM

ROGER THAT !

I just didÖ.
Try going from my "Orders Page" to "Forum".
This is what I got, and itĎs not what I got before..

A new thing that popped up when trying to go from my "Orders Page" to the "Forum"
Was "Only secure content shown" ---- "show all content"
Thatís on top of the fact that it sent me too
and didnít give me an error message this time.

If I click "Show all content", than it does take me to the Forums.

Still this only happen when trying to go to the "Forum" from my "Orders Page".

It seems if I start out on my "Order Page" , I have to keep clicking on "Show All Content".
In order to get the page Iím going to, to appear.
Case in pointÖ
Iím on the Order Page, I then clicked on ForumsÖ.
"Only secure content is displayed" ------ "Show all content" appears.
I click on "Show all content" , and now Iím on the Forum main page.
Now if I click on any of the topics....
"Only secure content is displayed" ------ "Show all content" appears again.
I click on "Show all content'' , and that Topic will appear, etc, etcÖ..

Like I said this happens ( at least so far it seems ) only if I start out on my "Order page".

The only way to stop it is for me to log off the Net and come back to Rightstuf
someplace other then the "Order Page" .( my Items on order page )

Just going to some other site, then back to Rightstuf doesnít work.
I have to exit the Net altogether.

P.S.
And like I said, today is the first time Iíve seen
Instead of Server Error
And the "Only secure content is displayed"------ "Show all content"
line popping up on the bottom of the screen.

Before today it was always Server Error.

P.S. again...
Sorry, when I say "Orders Page", I do mean "My Account" Page

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/21/12 01:30 PM

I'm happy to say that I can now go directly to Anime Today from "My Account". Boy howdy, you guys are bound and determined to fix every little thing at the site aren't ya? That's why I love ya! BTW I love the new banner at the top of the storefront. Pretty pretty.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/21/12 02:49 PM

I'm happy to say that I can now go directly to Anime Today from "My Account". Boy howdy, you guys are bound and determined to fix every little thing at the site aren't ya? That's why I love ya! BTW I love the new banner at the top of the storefront. Pretty pretty.

I still can't ! frown

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/21/12 03:01 PM

BW... I think that is a browser setting to warn when switching from secure to non-secure content.

What you are doing is technically leaving secure (https) and using just http since the boards don't use http. You should be able to set it to not warn you when using rightstuf.com. Hm.

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/21/12 03:18 PM

BW... I think that is a browser setting to warn when switching from secure to non-secure content.

What you are doing is technically leaving secure (https) and using just http since the boards don't use http. You should be able to set it to not warn you when using rightstuf.com. Hm.

Why did it just start doing that ?
I havenít done anything that Iím aware of, that would cause this.
Also I donít know how to exempt a Site.

Turns out it harder to get around the Site then I thought.
Itís more then what Iíve already said.
About it doing this only if I was coming from My Account.
Turns out it any /everyway I try to come in.

Oh, well

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/21/12 04:42 PM

Iím on the Order Page, I then clicked on ForumsÖ.
"Only secure content is displayed" ------ "Show all content" appears.
I click on "Show all content" , and now Iím on the Forum main page.
Now if I click on any of the topics....
"Only secure content is displayed" ------ "Show all content" appears again.
I click on "Show all content'' , and that Topic will appear, etc, etcÖ..

Like I said this happens ( at least so far it seems ) only if I start out on my "Order page".

AFAIK that warning is settable in the browser to warn when a secure (https) page loads some of its content (an image, script or something like that) insecurely (http) .

Skimming over the forum index html source when using https to access the forum:
the stylesheet link "http://www.rightstuf.com/rsstatic/animeToday/forums/forum-screen.css"
(see the http instead of https there) might be the cause of the warning.
Now that I think about it: the forum allows remote avatars, so http content in a https page is kind of unavoidable... frown

If you'd absolutely would want to have the forum not cause such "mixed content" warnings, I guess you'd have to completely force the forum to http or at most use https for login.

Oh and a remark to Rightstuf: it might not be optimal to broadcast to the world what your LAN IP range is wink :
( input type="hidden" name="curl" value="http%3A%2F%2F192.168.4.29%2Fubbthreads%2Fubbthreads.php%2Fforum_summary.html )
Feel free to moderator-edit out these last few lines. grin

Re: New website - some details of new features - 08/22/12 11:54 AM

There are a few glitches with making the forums completely SSL-friendly. It is a goal to have the whole site SSLed, but we're a bit off from that still.

You guys weren't running to the https to http redirect warning, or mixed content warnings before because it wasn't working at all before (you'd get an internal server error when coming from SSL pages such as the "Your Account" area) before the redirect would be sent.

We'll get the glitches ironed out, we just weren't able to spend more time on it at the moment, and I hate to just toss in absolute URLs everywhere because it makes testing the site on our development machines more difficult. smile
Posted by: Sei

Re: New website - some details of new features - 09/06/12 03:43 PM

I haven't been on this site in months.. came here and saw all of this! I felt lost for a moment.