Screening Permission Guide

Posted by: nick

Screening Permission Guide - 05/20/08 11:55 AM

We understand that clubs have a variety of shows in their library - many of them from different companies like ADV, FUNimation, VIZ, Media Blasters, Right Stuf, etc. That's a lot of screening permissions to manage! To help our members out, we at Stuf for Clubs have compiled a handy screening permissions guide on the forums so your organization can make sure your permission requests are sent to the right people, in the right format! Not only that, but we can update this guide as necessary based on suggestions from you - the club members!

Information Needed for a Permission Request
Each company will need the same general information in order to process your screening permission quickly and efficiently.
  • Your name and your organization's name
  • Your mailing address and email
  • Address of the screening
  • Title of the show, disc/volume number, and episode number
  • The date(s) of the showing
  • The time(s) of the showing
  • The purpose of the showing
  • Whether there is a fee charged for a showing (most companies look down on this, unless it is part of a convention)

Label:
Write "request for screening permission" in the subject line or "c/o screening permissions" in the address if you are mailing a letter.

Timeframe:
Email your requests at least 10-14 days before you intend to screen the title, or further in advance if you are mailing a letter.

Anime Company Contact Info - 05/20/08 11:59 AM

Just because we sell a company's titles doesn't mean we own the rights to them! If you need to request a screening permission for a non-Right Stuf show, this is the place to look.

The following list includes contact emails and mailing addresses (for companies without a listed contact email) for most Region 1 anime producers and licensors in alphabetical order.

Region 1 Anime Company Screening Permission Contact Information:

AnimeEigo
Contact email:
trebor@animeigo.com

Aniplex of America
Contact email:
emmanuel.rivera@aniplexusa.com

Disney/Buena Vista
Mail requests to:
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Public Relations
350 S Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-6695

FUNimation
Contact email:
conventions@funimation.com

Geneon (Pioneer)
Contact email:
animeclubs@rightstuf.com
(We forward them for Geneon.)

Manga Entertainment
Contact email:
info@manga.com

Media Blasters
Contact email:
cbrier@media-blasters.com

New People Entertainment (formerly VIZ Pictures [live action])
Contact email:
films@newpeopleworld.com

Nozomi Entertainment (Right Stuf)
Contact email:
animeclubs@rightstuf.com

Pokemon USA
Contact email:
m.pearce@pokemon.com

Section 23 Films
Contact email:
info@sentai-filmworks.com

Sentai Filmworks
Contact email:
info@sentai-filmworks.com

VIZ Media, LLC (animation)
Contact page:
http://www.viz.com/company/contact

If you find that any of these emails or contact methods become invalid, let us know and we'll update the list.

Advanced Search Function - 05/20/08 12:06 PM

How to Find Out What Shows Belong to What Company
Most anime that are still in print are part of Right Stuf's catalog, so you can use RightStuf.com's handy advanced search function to pull a list of all of a company's shows if you want to see what they've licensed that's still being produced. Let's use Right Stuf shows for our example.
  1. Go to www.rightstuf.com
  2. Click on the advanced search button right above the main search bar
  3. There is a list of criteria with checkboxes. Check publisher, and media
  4. On the publisher bar, choose the company whose titles you with to list
  5. On the media bar, select DVD, so it only returns results that are DVD's
  6. Leave the title checkbox and title bar blank. Leave the middle as "equal to"
  7. Hit search!

The results page will list the company's shows in alphabetical order. If we don't have it, it's quite possible the show is out of print, in which case you might have to do a little more in-depth research on Google!

Last But Not Least, Always Remember to:
  • Look up the licensor of the show so you don't send the request to the wrong company.
  • Use "request for screening permission" in your message's subject or c/o line.
  • Remember to include all the necessary contact, organization, and showing information.
  • Request permissions well in advance so companies have time to respond.

We hope this guide proves valuable in your quest for screening permissions. If any of this contact information becomes invalid, or if you have alternate or additional companies this guide is missing, email animeclubs@rightstuf.com , or post in this thread and we'll update it accordingly. Feel free to send any comments and suggestions along as well!

Thanks for taking the time to read this guide!

Happy viewing!
Posted by: DoamaPresident

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 05/21/08 03:32 PM

Yay. I needed this. The guide I had been using up to this point was sorely outdated. I will have to print this out and hand to all the officers.
Posted by: Alpha_Zeon

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 05/21/08 06:50 PM

Wow, I thought that was basic knowledge. No offense meant DoamaPresident.
Posted by: DoamaPresident

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 06/16/08 08:39 AM

Nope, quite a few of those, like Buena Vista are really obscure to find, since you get so many hits on say, Google, when you make even a hint at a Disney company.
Posted by: sonnyjim91

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 07/31/08 01:34 AM

This is great, especially since I hoped to show a few series by Geneon and I wasn't sure who to send them to after they went out of business. A specification question: Does anyone know what to do if you are asking permission to show a series but you don't know the exact date or time that you are going to show that series? I run my school's anime club and have an idea of a few series that I would like to show but I won't know the exact dates until I talk to the members and set a schedule.
Posted by: Tyler Dahlberg

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 08/01/08 10:17 AM

The times don't really matter as much as the dates do. As long as you can give a company the dates you are planning on at least 7-10 days in advance you should be fine. Most companies won't give a permission if you don't have dates.
Posted by: TheCapt1701

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 12/01/08 04:41 PM

I have kind of a general question about screening permissions.

Specifically for conventions.

What is the suggestion for titles that were released here in the US by official US anime companies who no longer have the rights to those titles?

The example I will use is with 'Orange Road' and AnimEigo.

I have the official AnimEigo released DVDs (not to mention the LDs as well) so getting them is not a problem.

However in this case the company, AnimEigo, no longer has the rights to this series AND no other US company has picked it up.

So, while I have a 100% legitimate US released DVD, the company who released it can not grant permission to screen it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Enjoy!!

Alec Orrock
Posted by: Alison Roberts

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 12/02/08 05:13 PM

Hi, Alec, and thanks for the question.

That's where it gets a little tricky, actually.

In this particular case, I'd e-mail AnimEigo and ask them if they can point you in the right direction. (In this case, it might be the Japanese rights holder.)

Hope this helps!
Posted by: TheCapt1701

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 12/02/08 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Alison Roberts
Hi, Alec, and thanks for the question.

That's where it gets a little tricky, actually.

In this particular case, I'd e-mail AnimEigo and ask them if they can point you in the right direction. (In this case, it might be the Japanese rights holder.)

Hope this helps!

Alison,

Thanks very much for your response.

I actually did ask them if they had any contact information (in this case for another title they no longer have) and they responded indicating they did not have any information. That may just be that the company they had originally licensed the title from no long exists. Or for whatever reason they may choose not to give out said contact information.

In cases like this where the club or convention has gone through all the due diligence of contacting the last known US rights holders and said companies either do not have or will not provide contact information for the Japanese rights holders, is there any Japanese version of this list that can be provided?

It may very well be that the Japanese companies no longer care too much about these older titles that come and gone over the decades, especially in the case of the US market.

Thanks again for your help. The main list at the beginning of this tread has been extremely helpful for us.

Enjoy!!

Alec

Posted by: JimShew

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 02/15/09 12:33 AM

Actually Alec, some online resources like the fan-maintained "Anime News Network" can help provide some clues in tracking down the original producers when American companies are unable to assist.

In the case of your example "Orange Road", the title appears to have been truncated from "Kimagure Orange Road" (closest romanization of its Japanese title).
One producer for that series on Japanese TV is listed on ANN as "TOHO" (that firm is still in existance). If they happen to not be the rights holder, at least they can assist you in proceeding further.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 03/16/09 04:56 PM

Hello,

I'm not sure if the question I have has different response depending on the company but what defines a private viewing and what defines a public viewing?

Thanks.
Posted by: The Animeniac

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 06/08/10 09:11 PM

anyone know where to ask miramax and warner bros and who owns the digimon movies i believe disney owns all but the first, becuase i want to do a nostalgia screening at my club and want to play the old digimon and pokemon movies, also does disney/buena vista have a way to request permission online.
Posted by: Three Cat Corner

Re: Anime Company Contact Info - 08/12/10 01:06 PM

Are you still forwarding stuff for Geneon? The Geneon Animation website (geneonanimation.com) auto-forwards to the Funimation website. Does that mean that (like ADV), Geneon is gone or has been purchased by or merged with Funimation?

I know that some former ADV titles are now FUNimation titles. Is that the same with Geneon? Any idea if FUNimation can give screening permissions for old DVDs that have the former companies' logos on them or if it has to be new discs that are actually FUNimation?

Also, anybody know how strict Viz is on the three months processing time? I also couldn't find anything on their page about whether they charge for screening permissions, and they are apparently off this week for some holiday (summer break?)

Thanks.
Posted by: Christy

Re: Anime Company Contact Info - 08/12/10 04:52 PM

Hi, Three Cat Corner!

We still help channel Geneon permissions for a couple titles, however, a number of their properties are now being distributed by other companies (like FUNimation). For more details, please email us at animeclubs@rightstuf.com, and we'll help point you in the right direction.

In addition, I believe this is Golden Week in Japan, so VIZ's offices are closed, too. I don't know how strict VIZ is about the processing time, but if you contact them at the addresses above, they should be able to give you more definite answers.

I hope this helps a bit.
Posted by: Roguespider13

Re: Anime Company Contact Info - 12/06/10 12:10 AM

Thank you for this cumulative contact list. It is a great help when seeking permissions. I was curious if you are aware of how to seek permission for titles belonging to NIS America. I noticed that they titles are carried by their own store and Right Stuf but not the larger outlets like Amazon. Do you handle permissions for them similar to Geneon or do you have contact info for them?

Re: Anime Company Contact Info - 12/06/10 11:06 AM

Hi, Roguespider13!

I'm afraid I don't currently have official screening request contact info for NISA, but as soon as I do, it will be added to the above list. For now, I would suggest dropping NISA a line at their support email: support@nisamerica.com. They also have a contact form on their website, which can be located at http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=s .

I hope this helps!
Posted by: AurayaWhite

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/11/11 01:34 PM

Hi guys,

I've found the information posted so far very useful but I've a super stupid question to ask. I am currently in the middle of organising a brand new Irish convention and we plan on having some Anime screenings. I am just wondering who do we contact, we want to show the original SUBBED Anime, a lot of people attending have requested we avoud DUB where possible - so, do I contact the Europe company in charge of the Anime or do I start contacting the companies in Japan?

Like I said, it's a dumb question but any help you can offer would be really appreciated!
Posted by: ashi

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/12/11 11:11 AM

AurayaWhite: I always only show subbed anime, and I write to company that licensed the DVD I'm showing in my country.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/12/11 11:19 AM

I have another company to add to the list: AN Entertainment (Anime Nation), contact form:
http://www.an-entertainment.com/contact.html
Subject: Licensing Information

Recently Funimation replied:

I could not grant you screening permission for Hare + Guu, however, you must contact Anime Nation for those permissions.

I seem to remember them pointing me at Funimation a few years back. Hopefully they will respond. smile Looks like AN Entertainment also licenses Miami Guns and Risky Safety.
Posted by: AyameTan

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 03/29/11 03:52 AM

Wonderful! Thanks Nick and Alison. smile TRSI was kind enough to contact Viz for myself and the USGA for Hikaru no Go screenings at Congress this year. smile

Edit: I clicked on the link for Viz's contact info page for anime screening permissions, and I got a "page not found" error. frown

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 03/29/11 09:44 AM

Hi, AyameTan. When VIZ recently updated its site, I think certain page locations were changed a bit. I did a little digging and found VIZ's viewing permissions info (along with a PDF) at http://www.viz.com/company/contact . I hope this helps!
Posted by: AyameTan

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 03/30/11 01:36 AM

Thanks Christy! laugh I recall scouring Viz's site a few years back and only finding one (unhelpful) email address, lol. XD
Posted by: phage80

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 05/06/11 07:05 AM

Would you happen to know of a contact for Aniplex USA? I have looked everywhere and closest I can find is a twitter account.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 05/06/11 09:46 AM

Hi, phage80!

If you email me the details regarding your Aniplex USA screening request, I'd be happy to pass them along to one of our contacts.

You can reach me at christys@rightstuf.com.

- Christy
Posted by: Inkwolf

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 09/13/11 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: ashi
I have another company to add to the list: AN Entertainment (Anime Nation), contact form:
http://www.an-entertainment.com/contact.html
Subject: Licensing Information
......Hare + Guu, however, you must contact Anime Nation for those permissions...... Risky Safety.

I recently contacted AN, who said they no longer hold the licenses to Risky Saftey and Hare + Guu. Apparently nobody does now.

But I'm posting to say that Sentai Filmworks has their screening request process in the FAQ now, so the current e-mail address should probably be changed to a link to here: http://sentai-filmworks.com/index.php?option=com_quickfaq&Itemid=86

Or maybe changed to info@sentai-filmworks.com with the list of requirements that they have on the FAQ page. (I haven't actually tried the info e-mail yet, will report back if there are problems with it.)

The e-mail to Mike was replied to only with a link to their online catalog, and a note saying that I could check for available titles there.
http://sentai-filmworks.com/index.php?option=com_catalog&view=catalog&Itemid=62

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 09/14/11 09:54 AM

@Inkwolf Thank you for the heads up! laugh

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 12/08/11 04:10 PM

The last few times I contacted Funimation, I heard nothing back. Now I noticed their site: Operation Anime says:

Effective immediately FUNimation Entertainment will no longer accept new clubs or requests for its Operation Anime program. Although Operation Anime is discontinuing service, we will honor all screening requests and mailings scheduled thru December 1, 2011.

We want to thank all of the clubs who have participated and who have shown support for FUNimation, its movies and series and more than anything, the art of anime throughout the years.

FUNimation is pleased to announce a brand new partnership with Swank Motion Pictures. While we have discontinued the Operation Anime Program, our new venture will continue to allow us the ability to offer screenings at your library.
I couldn't find a price list, but Swank definitely charges money. I'll try their conventions@funimation.com email address again, but it looks like we may have to go without any of their content or get a Swank budget just for showing Funimation titles.
Posted by: stylwear

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/03/12 01:30 PM

Hello

Just another convention screenings director looking for help. Trying to get ahold of Aniplex of America to get view permissions, Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks smile

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/03/12 05:04 PM

@stylwear

I emailed hiroe.tsukamoto@aniplex.jp. I got a reply from Emmanuel.rivera@aniplexusa.com. The "Contact Us" button on Aniplex USA goes to Emmanuel Rivera, so that's probably the right person to contact. I got permission for Madoka Magica volume 1 pretty quickly, even though it isn't out yet. Our convention is just a bit after the release.

Good luck!

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/04/12 11:15 AM

Hi, @stylwear.

If you email me at christys@rightstuf.com with your screening request along with your details, I'd be happy to forward it to our Aniplex contact for you. If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Best,
Christy
Posted by: stylwear

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/07/12 01:57 AM

Thanks, The Emmanuel.rivera!aniplexusa.com is the email i used a couple weeks ago and still haven't gotten anything back.

Christy I sent you an email as well but never heard back. but it didn't contain our requests would you like me to resend that only with my requests?

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/09/12 09:53 AM

@stylwear EJ may have been out of the office due to the holidays, so I'd suggest trying to ping him once again. If you want to pass your info along to me, I'm happy to let him know you'll be in contact, too.

- Christy

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 02/08/12 07:38 PM

New update for you! smile

My request to Viz today got this answer:
"Hello,

Thank you for emailing info@viz-pictures.com.
Your email has been forwarded to our new email address films@newpeopleworld.com.

VIZ Pictures Inc. as film licensor and distributor is re-branding as
NEW PEOPLE Entertainment under NEW PEOPLE Inc. as of January 3, 2011
and thus our email address has also changed.

Please replace this information in your address book.

Just the name changes - we look forward to our continued correspondence.

Sincerely,

NEW PEOPLE ENTERTAINMENT Staff"

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 02/09/12 09:32 AM

@Inkwolf Thanks for the heads up! smile
Posted by: Gene33

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 02/10/12 11:55 AM

Hi guys,

I need some advice. I'm trying to acquire the screening permission for Redline for an anime club related event. I sent an email over to Manga Entertainment using the email and request format provided in this thread. Basically, it's been exactly a week since I sent out the email, so I was wondering at this point if I should continue to wait a little longer for a reply or try contacting them again.

Has anybody here successfully been able to get a response from Manga Entertainment btw?

Also does anybody know if Bandai responds back as well? (for future reference)
Posted by: VinceA

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 02/14/12 05:53 AM

Try mailing Kevin.Carney@Starz.com

That's the person that sent my permission for AnimeNEXT.
Posted by: Puritysan

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 06/15/12 09:57 AM

Does anyone happen to have screening permission contacts for NIS America? I'm trying to get Screening Permission for Kimi ni Tokode. And I can't seem to find the contact anywhere.

Thanks
Jessica

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 06/15/12 10:06 AM

@Puritysan Hi, there!

I don't have a direct NISA permissions contact, but if you email support@NISAmerica.com, a rep should be able to point you in the right direction. smile

Hope this info helps!

- Christy

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 06/26/12 02:59 PM

Does anybody have a current contact for funimation? I have tried the conventions email address with nothing but a automated response, been trying for over a month.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 06/30/12 10:15 PM

AHAH. I got NIS's contact.

NIS Amareica, Inc.
Ryan Phillips
Marketing Coordinator
1221 E Dyer Rd. Suite 100
Santa Ana, CA 92705
tel. 714.540.1122
fax. 714-540-1155
ryan@nisamerica.com

^^he's the one that deals with permissions and screenings. smile

As for funi, they go through Swank now.
http://www.movlic.com/library/anime.html

smile

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 07/01/12 04:43 PM

Thanks, I had thought them going through swank had not included conventions due to the conventions contact still being on their site.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 07/12/12 12:01 PM

I put everyone that I contacted for AnimeNEXT 2012 in a Google Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alw2lC6juTQ_dGtTNmJoSFFYV3dkN1RxOUtGdXZyUHc

Covers most of the companies people have asked about. Everyone was damn nice & helpful smile

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 10/05/12 01:24 AM

Anyone know where/how I would get screening permissions for Sailor Moon?
Posted by: DabbleDeDork

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 10/06/12 05:55 PM

Hi! I've tried the email for aniplex about getting screening permissions to show my club the first four episodes of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I sent an email a week ago, how long did it take for everyone else to get permissions? I just want to know before I send another e-mail.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 10/09/12 09:38 AM

Hi DabbleDeDork,

I'm not sure what Aniplex's timeline with screening requests is, but if your event date is approaching, I would suggest just sending along another polite note requesting assistance.

Best,
Christy

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 10/13/12 10:08 PM

how would one go about getting in contact with Toei to obtain screening permissions to show sailor moon at an anime club?

I'm planning on doing a marathon before the new series comes out.. so....

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 10/16/12 11:55 AM

Hi, Puritysan!

I would suggest checking out the official Toei sites for any possible contact listings or contact forms. You can find Toei links via the company's AnimeNewsNetwork page at: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=145.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction!

Best,
Christy

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 10/17/12 03:27 PM

I just heard from a trusted industry rep that Toei will most likely never get back to you.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 11/02/12 02:35 PM

GUH.

So much for doing this the RIGHT way. :<
Darn you Toei!!
Posted by: duratych

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 11/26/12 08:24 AM

Do you have updated contact info for Media Blasters? I just tried using cbrier@media-blasters.com and it bounced.

Thanks!
Posted by: joelgundam01

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 11/26/12 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: duratych
Do you have updated contact info for Media Blasters? I just tried using cbrier@media-blasters.com and it bounced.

The easiest way to contact them is on their FaceBook Page. Just send them a private message.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/11/13 06:51 PM

Has anyone has luck with the Manga Entertainment email? I'm trying to get permissions for two of their titles and I've sent a couple emails over the last month or so but haven't heard anything back.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/14/13 05:46 PM

Hi, Roguespider13!

We checked into this and were told you can currently email kevin.carney@starz.com for assistance with Manga Ent. screening permisson requests.

I hope this info helps!

Best,
Christy

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 01/14/13 08:46 PM

Thank you. I saw his email in VinceA's spreadsheet and after digging around yesterday I noticed Manga is owned by Starz, so that would have been my next attempt.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 02/08/13 02:09 PM

While making a request from Viz Anime, I was informed that they no longer handle Pokemon. Pokemon screening requests have to go through Pokemon USA at m.pearce@pokemon.com

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 02/11/13 10:17 AM

Sad news....

"Unfortunately, due to the looming closure of Bandai Entertainment Inc., we are no longer in any capacity to grant screening permissions. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

frown frown frown

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 02/11/13 02:53 PM

Thank you for the heads up, Inkwolf!
Posted by: TemporalSandwich

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 04/17/13 01:30 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but is it possible to get blanket permissions from companies for weekly club meetings? I'd like to be a bit spontaneous with our schedule.
Posted by: kaitou-al

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 05/08/13 10:39 AM

I'm going to contact Maiden Japan and Discotek through their email, but what's the difference between the distributor and the licensor? Section23 is distributing, but I was just wondering.

Yeah, I got that email from Bandai Visuals too. ; A ;

Posted by: anime nympho

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 08/29/13 11:53 PM

Hi, so new to this. I was wondering if I could get a few pointers and tips from those of you that have been getting licensing for anime to show in your clubs. What I am really interested in is which companies do you find are the easiest to work with. I have already work with Nozomi, and they have been great. My club just has not had much luck with the others. Are there differnt methood for dealing with the differnt companies? Thanks
Posted by: Otaku Anime Corp

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 10/10/13 03:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but is it possible to get blanket permissions from companies for weekly club meetings? I'd like to be a bit spontaneous with our schedule.

I don't know about blanket permission, but you can buy licenses for certain companies (as a library we do this). In order to show FUNimation, you can get a specific anime license with Movie Licensing USA (http://www.movlic.com). But be warned it is NOT a complete list of titles (you can see the list here: http://library.movlic.com/anime-titles).

For Miyazaki movies (i.e. Disney), you can get a license here: http://www.swank.com/about.html

I have not heard of a free blanket license, though.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 10/10/13 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: anime nympho
Hi, so new to this. I was wondering if I could get a few pointers and tips from those of you that have been getting licensing for anime to show in your clubs. What I am really interested in is which companies do you find are the easiest to work with. I have already work with Nozomi, and they have been great. My club just has not had much luck with the others. Are there differnt methood for dealing with the differnt companies? Thanks

RIGHT STUF NOZOMI: Awesome. They are always quick to reply.

VIZ: Hit or miss. On their form they ask for three months lead time on requests, and based on the notes I get on the return fax they really do appreciate it. But half the time I have to fax my request again and don't always get a response.

FUNIMATION: When they had their Operation Anime thing, they were awesome. Now I have trouble getting a response from their anime club division. I e-mailed them about that, asking if I was supposed to get confirmation or if I should simply consider the mailed in request as automatic permission. I was basically given an e-mail address of a specific person and said if I ask him, I should get confirmation... but he never did reply. That's a bit frustrating since 75% of what we show ends up being FUNimation.

AnimEigo: I remember them being quick and easy (no forms... simply ask and they say, "Sure thing!"), but they don't have much anime left anymore to use them much.

Aniplex: They always got back with me quickly and were very friendly.

Section23: Pretty good to work with and I've gotten responses.

Media Blasters: Finding a way to contact them is a headache. There is no contact on their website, and the e-mail at the beginning of this thread no longer works. I tried e-mailing other staff and no one responded. Someone earlier suggested going through Facebook, so that's an option (I'm about to try now), but no clue if I'll actually get a response.

I think those are the ones I've worked with, although I could be blanking on someone. Right Stuf, Viz, FUNimation, and Section23 require a form to be filled out (you can e-mail Right Stuf the form and fax Viz theirs, but FUNimation and Section23 want a copy physically mailed to them).

Of all the companies, Right Stuf is by far the easiest to work with, along with Section23. I dread having to ask FUNimation, Viz, and Media Blasters because it's up in the air if I'll get a response, then I'm stuck trying to decide if I'm in compliance showing something.
Posted by: scorpio96

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 10/22/13 06:56 AM

Does anyone know how to contact Saban for screening permissions? I want to show Digimon Adventure 02 at my Anime Club, but I haven't found any info on Saban. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 11/14/13 06:23 PM

According to Wikipedia, Saban was purchased by Disney. Your best bet is to try to contact them, although you may need to purchase a movie license.

Off topic from Saban, but has anyone had luck getting FUNimation to reply? I've send them letters with SASE inside, e-mailed the person directly who supposedly handles requests, etc. but they never answer. I'm not sure if simply sending them the request is good enough in their eyes for approval or if I'm supposed to wait for an answer, but they never seem to bother replying no matter how easy I try to make it.
Posted by: Bakusen

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 06/20/14 02:20 PM

Hello, I would like to know if my anime club from Romania can be helped by your anime clubs support program regarding screening permission and any other kind of help you can offer to clubs. I would be really thankful for a response. Have a good day ^_^.

Re: Screening Permission Guide - 08/12/14 05:50 PM

NIS America has an online form to fill out for screening requests.

There's a slight glitch as it requires you to select titles from both the Blu-ray and DVD title lists, even if you only plan to use one. laugh But there's no harm in asking permission for an extra title you have no intention of actually using.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jTzDNi0jwX991iVRRP6atEiX37YYHbVJYHyssycqwpU/viewform