Problem playing Bluray

Posted by: BWBODDY

Problem playing Bluray - 10/14/12 01:09 PM

I tried to watch the bluray of Prometheus and I got nothing but a blank screen.
Even tried it on my Son’s player.
*There were no available "updates" for mine nor my Son’s Player’s*
my player is an RCA BRC11082. I don’t recall what my Son’s is*

( incase you are wondering )

I had one hell of a Time getting WalMart to refund my Money.
( they were out of Stock, so I couldn't do an exchange )
But I did get me money back.
( The Cute little Asst Manager that I’ve chatted with quite a bit over the years, gave the Okay grin )

I’m not sure if it was a Bad Disc or is one of those Bluray you need a top of the line Player to watch it.

Did anyone else have any issues with the Prometheus bluray ???
Posted by: kiku

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/14/12 05:22 PM

That's pretty scary. I think I'll go for the DVD the next time I'm out shopping.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/14/12 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: kiku
That's pretty scary. I think I'll go for the DVD the next time I'm out shopping.

I’m thinking that since it didn’t play on my Son’s player ether,
it might actually be the bluray disc ( I hope )
The DVD is just the Movie, the bluray is packing all of the extra’s.

I Posted about it just to see if someone else did have a problem with it as well
Posted by: joelgundam01

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/14/12 06:57 PM

My father had a similar problem with his copy, but we found out what was causing the problem.

It appears that this BD requires a lot of memory to play.

Just insert a USB drive into the player and it should give the player enough memory to play it.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/14/12 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
My father had a similar problem with his copy, but we found out what was causing the problem.

It appears that this BD requires a lot of memory to play.

Just insert a USB drive into the player and it should give the player enough memory to play it.

See, that’s messed up……
They need to start putting minimum requirements on bluray disc.
Like they do with Computer Programs.

It wasn’t as easy as I posted, ( getting the refund ) I was told no for a refund, repeatedly.
I only got it because the Lady that Ok’d it, out ranked the guy in Electronics.
When he said they were out of stock, he told me to take it to a different Walmart to exchange it.
When I went back up front, I told her that they were out of stock, she then said alright, to the refund.

On the USB drive, any idea’s on memory size, etc… ???

crazy*USB Drive = Flash Drive ??* crazy

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/14/12 08:20 PM

DVD's FTW!

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/14/12 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BWBODDY
See, that’s messed up……

There is but it appears that 20th Century Fox goofed on the encoding. I just found a work around for it.

FWIW, Sony has very strict rules on Blu-ray production, but sometimes things can slip by. My best bet is that all of Fox's test units have a least 2GBs of memory, while most BD players out in the market only have 1GB.

USB Drive, Flash Drive, Pocket Drive, Jump Drive. It has a lot of names, so take your pick.

I personally use 4GB USB drives on our 2 BD players. You can probably get away with a 1GB drive.

I recommend always having a USB drive in the player. This helps speed up the load times on some Blu-ray Discs (BD). Without the drive, some non-anime BDs of mine takes a few minutes to load, but only 30 seconds with the USB drive.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 08:22 AM

See, that’s messed up……

There is but it appears that 20th Century Fox goofed on the encoding. I just found a work around for it.

FWIW, Sony has very strike rules on Blu-ray production, but sometimes things can slip by. My best bet is that all of Fox's test units have a least 2GBs of memory, while most BD players out in the market only have 1GB.

USB Drive, Flash Drive, Pocket Drive, Jump Drive. It has a lot of names, so take your pick.

I personally use 4GB USB drives on our 2 BD players. You can probably get away with a 1GB drive.

I recommend always having a USB drive in the player. This helps speed up the load times on some Blu-ray Discs (BD). Without the drive, some non-anime BDs of mine takes a few minutes to load, but only 30 seconds with the USB drive.

I’ll get one and see how it works…. Thanks grin

Yup, all of the live Action blurays I have take time to load.
A couple of them mess up while playing, like The Raven when it messes up
it kept skipping back to the start of the last chapter.
It did that about 8 times while watching it, it took more then an extra ˝ hour to watch because of that.

Sucker Punch would just free up, I’d have to reload it ( Sucker Punch took forever to load )
then I’d skip ahead to where it messed up and go from there till it messed up again.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 10:59 AM

That doesn't sound like much fun.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 11:16 AM

@JOELGUNDAM01

I bought a 64GB Flash Drive and the Bluray/DVD of Prometheus.
I put the Flash Drive in the Bluray Player………
Still nothing crazy
Am I suppose to set the Drive up or something up first ???

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 11:44 AM

@JOELGUNDAM01

Still nothing crazy

No, you shouldn't have to. Are you getting just a blank screen?

Also, what's your player's make and model?

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 12:25 PM

@JOELGUNDAM01

Still nothing crazy

No, you shouldn't have to. Are you getting just a blank screen?

Also, what's your player's make and model?

I thought I was being slick, but maybe this is the problem

The manual says I can’t go higher than 32GB (FAT16/32) max. video birate 7Mbps
BUT I bought a 64GB drive
make/model RCA BRC11082

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 12:32 PM

make/model RCA BRC11082

That's probably the problem. My Sony player is the same way. A 32GB drive is the max it will take. Like I said before, I went with a 4GB drive myself.

When it comes to technology, bigger isn't always better.

I personally recommend just buying a small cheap USB Flash Drive, that way the player will be able to read it real quickly. The larger the drive, the longer it will take for the player to read it.

You can pick up a 4GB or an 8GB drive for less than $10 now.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 02:21 PM

make/model RCA BRC11082

That's probably the problem. My Sony player is the same way. A 32GB drive is the max it will take. Like I said before, I went with a 4GB drive myself.

When it comes to technology, bigger isn't always better.

I personally recommend just buying a small cheap USB Flash Drive, that way the player will be able to read it real quickly. The larger the drive, the longer it will take for the player to read it.

You can pick up a 4GB or an 8GB drive for less than $10 now.

@joelgundam01

I wish I had seen your reply before I went to the store.
( but I couldn't since you hadn't replied yet frown I did check right before walking out the door )
But I couldn’t wait around for it frown , there was some stuff I had to pick up

I went ahead and got a 32GB Flash Drive while I was out.
I won’t be able to see if it works till my grandson leaves ( 4:30-ish )
Teen Titan’s is in the player at the moment.

*I haven’t opened the 32GB drive yet, So I can still take it back for a lower GB one,
it would be no problem at all, if you think it would be the wiser thing to do*

SOOOO ..... ( this time)
grinI'm going to wait till you reply before I rush into anything else without the advice of someone wiser then myself grin

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 03:24 PM

*I haven’t opened the 32GB drive yet, So I can still take it back for a lower GB one,

Yeah! I suggest returning it and getting a smaller one. I recommend either a 4GB or 8GB, since it won't take long for the player to read and check the data.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 03:33 PM

Yeah! I suggest returning it and getting a smaller one. I recommend either a 4GB or 8GB, since it won't take long for the player to read and check the data.

grinROGER THAT, WILCO, OUT ! grin
( I'll let'ya know how it goes )

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 05:28 PM

grinROGER THAT, WILCO, OUT ! grin
( I'll let'ya know how it goes )

Well Jeolgundam01, it didn’t work cry ……………………
I got the 8Gb USB drive and it was still a No-Go !!

I went back to Walmart, and man they did say over & over "So Sorry but no refund" ( again ).
But I was able to get it anyway grin ….….
( for the bluray Prometheus )

I than spoke with a manger who seems to know more about bluray ( disc & players )
Than anyone else in the Store, including those working in Electronics.

He did show me, that on the very bottom of the back of the Bluray cover in that fine print,
it says that this bluray supports players with this & that software, and so-on.
Of course I still couldn’t even make out a single word., the print was so small.
So the words "Supports" in this case really means "minimum requirements"

The manger said that even the cheapest Bluray they had for sale would play Prometheus.

But, but, but, what, what, what !?! shocked ......
I got my bluray player ( RCA: BRC11082 ) last Christmas, I can’t believe that it is already obsolete
And or just isn’t going to ( or can’t ) get updates, to Support the new bluray disc tech.
( believe you me, I looked for software updates )

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 09:20 PM

[i][font:Comic Sans MS]Well Jeolgundam01, it didn’t work cry ……………………

Sorry to hear that. Remember, this was just a fix that worked for my Sony player.

My best bet is that it's the firmware. RCA is notorious for not updating it often enough. Sony on the other hand makes a universal update (works on all of their players) almost every 8 weeks.

One thing you can do is file a complaint with RCA and tell them that your player won't play Prometheus. If enough people complain, then they may make a firmware update for the player to fix it.

On a side note, I was able to play Prometheus without the flash drive, but it took a while to load. The error we got was because my dad loaded the player before the main menu loaded up. In other words, it didn't have time to access the flash drive.

On another note, Kiku incompatibility issues aren't limited to Blu-ray players. I went through 3 DVD players because of them. I would say it's worse for DVD players, since you can't update the firmware.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 09:42 PM

[i][font:Comic Sans MS]Well Jeolgundam01, it didn’t work cry ……………………

Sorry to hear that. Remember, this was just a fix that worked for my Sony player.

My best bet is that it's the firmware. RCA is notorious for not updating it often enough. Sony on the other hand makes a universal update (works on all of their players) almost every 8 weeks.

One thing you can do is file a complaint with RCA and tell them that your player won't play Prometheus. If enough people complain, then they may make a firmware update for the player to fix it.

On a side note, I was able to play Prometheus without the flash drive, but it took a while to load. The error we got was because my dad loaded the player before the main menu loaded up. In other words, it didn't have time to access the flash drive.

On another note, Kiku incompatibility issues aren't limited to Blu-ray players. I went through 3 DVD players because of them. I would say it's worse for DVD players, since you can't update the firmware.

A Sony Bluray Player, hmmmm.

I did a phrase search, trying to see what came up.
I was hoping to find out who was good at providing updates for their equipment.
What you told me about Sony is better than any response I got from the search.
I think I’m going to have to buy a new Bluray Player if I want to buy new releases.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 09:55 PM

A Sony Bluray Player, hmmmm.

I did a phrase search, trying to see what came up.
I was hoping to find out who was good at providing updates for their equipment.
What you told me about Sony is better than any response I got from the search.
I think I’m going to have to buy a new Bluray Player if I want to buy new releases.

The best part about Sony's firmware updates is that they work on all of their players. That includes their cheapest model (BDP-S185), which usually costs around $80.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 11:39 PM

I own approximately 1000 DVD's and have never experienced such a problem... and my DVD player is so old has a VHS deck in it.
Posted by: Cheap One

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/15/12 11:44 PM

I own approximately 1000 DVD's and have never experienced such a problem... and my DVD player is so old has a VHS deck in it.

That just sounds like good luck. Cause I know lots of people that had such issues with DVD players and playing DVDs. It should also be possible for people to go through the whole Blu-ray generation and not have any problems till switching to whatever will come out next.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/16/12 12:01 AM

I think that "luck" is a stretch. A 1000 DVD's and the oldest DVD player in the tri-county area... and nary a glitch. Not to mention, I've never had friend, family, or acquaitance ever remark on an incompatible DVD. Top it off with the first Blu-ray player I ever used emits an audible motor sound when it plays. That's not luck, it's simply personal observation.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/16/12 01:17 PM

I think that "luck" is a stretch. A 1000 DVD's and the oldest DVD player in the tri-county area... and nary a glitch. Not to mention, I've never had friend, family, or acquaitance ever remark on an incompatible DVD.

I have over a thousand DVDs too and Bandai titles were plagued with incompatibility issues and they even admitted it. Even Disney had warnings on the back of their DVD cases, saying that some players are not compatible with their discs and they won't be held responsible for it.

The first incompatibility issue for me came with Escaflowne discs 5 and 6, which wouldn't work on my PS2. This forced me to buy my first DVD player (Samsung). It was one of the Gundam DVDs, that forced me to buy a Sony player. And after six years, I was forced to buy another one since Giant Robo disc 2 wouldn't play properly on it. I marked the last one as worn out laser eye.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/16/12 05:25 PM

I have approximately 20 DVD titles from Bandai, and I don't have any compatibility issues with any of the discs in any of the sets.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/16/12 06:52 PM

I have approximately 20 DVD titles from Bandai, and I don't have any compatibility issues with any of the discs in any of the sets.

I was never able to watch Lost Universe or The Third: the girl with the blue eye.
On any of my DVD players ( 3 different brands ).
I went through many copies of both Animes trying to fix that problem

It wasn’t till I got the bluray player that I could watch them.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/16/12 08:50 PM

Huh... confused The Third played fine on mine.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/16/12 10:40 PM

Huh... confused The Third played fine on mine.

That's why they call it "incompatibility issues". Some players will experience it, while others won't.

You're lucky that you got a player that handles different types of DVD encoding quite well. That's not the case for other players, especially some Pioneer models.

The biggest nick against the DVD is that there is no set of standards, when it comes to the player's OS and the encoding on the discs themselves.
Posted by: zrdb

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/21/12 04:00 AM

I have 3 bluray players-a new Panasonic, last years Sony and a Samjunk that I got refurbished for $60 a few months ago and have no problems playing back blurays-I think the biggest problem with player iincompatibility is due to the fact that the stupid @$$#^&@*&@! disc manufactors are always changing the copyright protection to prevent disc copying and this can cause severe playback problems on older players. I have about 6 dvd players including a $400 Oppo player and many Bandai dvds and have never had a single problem with playback except in cases where I got used discs sight unseen and they were scratched up pretty bad-"excellent condition" my ass!! About the only reason you need to add a flash drive to a bluray player is if you want to use bd live and I never have nor will-computers are meant to be connected to the internet-not bluray players-I'd use a media player for that.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 10/21/12 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By: zrdb
I have about 6 dvd players including a $400 Oppo player and many Bandai dvds and have never had a single problem with playback except in cases where I got used discs sight unseen and they were scratched up pretty bad-"excellent condition" my ass!!
Ain't that the truth! The condition ratings online (I'm not naming any names) are virtually useless... even if the the condition is listed as "new". Rare is the occasion that the item arrives in the condition listed. Such are the perils of buying used online.
Posted by: jakesfz

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 01/28/13 06:38 AM

I strongly agree with this point that mostly disc manufacturers are always changing the copyright protection to prevent disc copying and this can cause severe playback problems on older players.
This might be one of the several reasons.
Posted by: jakesfz

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 01/28/13 06:50 AM

I will go to buy a new one for my son.
Let see what will be the outcome

No matter where you go, there you are.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 01/28/13 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: jakesfz
I will go to buy a new one for my son.
Let see what will be the outcome

No matter where you go, there you are.

Hello Jakesfv Welcome to the Forum ! grin
Legend…… I love that Movie, I have it on my personal collection shelf
Posted by: PetrifiedJello

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/05/13 07:34 AM

Not sure if I got here in time, but a word of warning: DO NOT BUY RCA PRODUCTS.

They're made in Mexico and are very, very cheap products. If they don't burn out, they fault. Check out online reviews and you can see for yourself RCA is a bad brand.

I'd also stay away from Sony, whose business practices of late have been less than consumer friendly.

Stick with JVC or Samsung. If you're looking for a long term investment and want those DVDs to really explode on screen, nothing short of an Oppo will do. These are very expensive players but when they say a DVD can look near HD, they mean it.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/05/13 07:46 AM

Thanks for the info. Petrified Jello. I will heed your RCA warning. Do you have anything to say about Toshiba? I've had very good luck with their products.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/05/13 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: PetrifiedJello

Not sure if I got here in time, but a word of warning: DO NOT BUY RCA PRODUCTS.

They're made in Mexico and are very, very cheap products. If they don't burn out, they fault. Check out online reviews and you can see for yourself RCA is a bad brand.

I'd also stay away from Sony, whose business practices of late have been less than consumer friendly.

Stick with JVC or Samsung. If you're looking for a long term investment and want those DVDs to really explode on screen, nothing short of an Oppo will do. These are very expensive players but when they say a DVD can look near HD, they mean it.

HAHAHAHAHA laugh
Funny you would say RCA…….

My Son bought me an RCA, it’s the one that wouldn’t play Prometheus.
( wouldn’t do anything, just a black screen )

This Christmas ( 2012 ) he got me a LG 220, first thing I did was go back and buy Prometheus and
it worked just fine.
So did the other bluray Disc that I had kept but had problems with, like Sucker Punch.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/05/13 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: PetrifiedJello

Sony has been improving lately with their CS. Ever since Kaz Hirai has taken over as CEO, they've been on an up tick.

Personally, I have never had a problem with Sony products before. They've always held up for me and they actually update the firmware on their older BD players.
Posted by: kakashi12210

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/07/13 12:24 AM

I'm having problems getting my PS3 to play certain Blu-rays. With some I have to insert the disc 3-4 times before it will play it. Right now I can't get it to play Clannad: After Story it won't even read the disc, I've tried over 20 times, but it just won't read it, my computer reads it fine though.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/07/13 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: kakashi12210
I'm having problems getting my PS3 to play certain Blu-rays. With some I have to insert the disc 3-4 times before it will play it. Right now I can't get it to play Clannad: After Story it won't even read the disc, I've tried over 20 times, but it just won't read it, my computer reads it fine though.

It sounds like it the disc drive may be going. At the very least it is having trouble reading dual-layered BDs. Most BD movies/series are dual layered, while only a handful of PS3 games are dual layered.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/07/13 02:58 AM

It sounds like it the disc drive may be going. At the very least it is having trouble reading dual-layered BDs. Most BD movies/series are dual layered, while only a handful of PS3 games are dual layered.

I was thinking that might be the case. But, it's strange that it won't read disc 1 or 2, but disc 3 worked every time I put it in there.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/07/13 01:03 PM

I've decided I need to buy a Blu-ray player. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Blu-ray player?

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/07/13 01:13 PM

I've decided I need to buy a Blu-ray player. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Blu-ray player?

I was so happy with the LG BP220 my Son bought me, I bought one to replace the recently broken RCA Bluray I had

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/07/13 01:19 PM

I was thinking that might be the case. But, it's strange that it won't read disc 1 or 2, but disc 3 worked every time I put it in there.

That's probably because disc 3 is a single layered disc. It's not uncommon for Funimation and Sentai to use a mix between the two versions. A dual layered Blu-ray costs more than a single layered Blu-ray after all and they like to cut down costs as much as possible.

One way to find out is the number of episodes on the disc. How many episodes are on disc 3?

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/07/13 01:23 PM

That's probably because disc 3 is a single layered disc. It's not uncommon for Funimation and Sentai to use a mix between the two versions. A dual layered Blu-ray costs more than a single layered Blu-ray after all and they like to cut down costs as much as possible.

One way to find out is the number of episodes on the disc. How many episodes are on disc 3?

There's 9 episodes on disc 3

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/08/13 02:50 PM

That's odd! So it's a dual layered disc then.

The only things I can think of is either your disc drive might be having trouble playing select dual-layered discs (starting to wear out). Or it could just be Sentai's quality control and just an incompatibility issue.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 02/08/13 03:29 PM

That's odd! So it's a dual layered disc then.

The only things I can think of is either your disc drive might be having trouble playing select dual-layered discs (starting to wear out). Or it could just be Sentai's quality control and just an incompatibility issue.

It might be my PS3, it had a hard time reading Heaven's Lost Property and Chaos Head when I was watching them. I had to insert the each disc about 4 times.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 04/06/13 10:33 PM

i have 5 bluray players and my favorites are my 2 Sonys.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 04/20/13 08:54 PM

I'm finally going to get a Blu-ray player since my PS3 won't load any of my anime Blu-rays anymore. I've done some research and found Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player. Has anyone owned this one or can anyone tell me if this would be a good one? I can get it for about $60-$70 if I buy within the next 2 days which is half off the amazon price.
Posted by: Richard Harms

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 04/22/13 09:40 AM

The "Panasonic DMP-BDT220" is an OK player, I have one, and I haven't had any discs that it hasn't worked with. Occasionally see firmware updates for it, so I know they're still supporting it (though, it looks like it is probably no longer a current model on Amazon's site at least). Remote sucks for getting around DVD menus, it's very Blu-ray oriented. Also, sometimes when simply stopping a disc, I'll hear a vibrating noise - and instead of stopping, I'll walk over to the player and it'll have shifted into as fast of speed as possible for spinning the disc. Not sure if that's a software glitch with the most recent update or a hardware issue. Not a glowing review, but it's an "OK" player.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 04/22/13 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Richard Harms
The "Panasonic DMP-BDT220" is an OK player, I have one, and I haven't had any discs that it hasn't worked with. Occasionally see firmware updates for it, so I know they're still supporting it (though, it looks like it is probably no longer a current model on Amazon's site at least). Remote sucks for getting around DVD menus, it's very Blu-ray oriented. Also, sometimes when simply stopping a disc, I'll hear a vibrating noise - and instead of stopping, I'll walk over to the player and it'll have shifted into as fast of speed as possible for spinning the disc. Not sure if that's a software glitch with the most recent update or a hardware issue. Not a glowing review, but it's an "OK" player.

Okay, thanks for your help. I decided to get it since I could get it for about half off. I got a warranty with it, so if anything happens I can just get my money back.

Re: Problem playing Bluray - 05/11/13 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Richard Harms

I have one of these and in the 7 months I've owned it nary' a problem, it's a good work horse player.