Are you listening?

Posted by: kiku

Are you listening? - 08/21/11 12:34 AM

Do you listen to music while you post? What song are you listening to right now?

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 12:37 AM

I'm listening to Army Of Me (Sucker Punch Remix) by Bjork (Featuring Skunk Anansie).
Posted by: touma

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: kiku
Do you listen to music while you post?

No.
Posted by: Stefanie

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 09:21 AM

No. *gazing at the horizon with feigned arrogance and windblown hair* My posts ARE music.
Posted by: Hobby Ninja

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 10:19 AM

Does mall music count? grin
Posted by: BWBODDY

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 11:41 AM

All I hear is my midget cat Missy meowing at me because Iím ignoring her.
Oh, that and the AC ( or ) furnace when it kicks on
( small ranch style house on a slab ) Utility closet is about 6 feet from me as I type.
Posted by: stargates

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: touma

No.

Ditto. As much as i like music, for some reason i just don't have any music on when i'm posting.

Apparently i can't multitask. whistle
Posted by: joelgundam01

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 11:51 AM

No.

Ditto! I find listening to music too distracting, when I'm reading and typing.
Posted by: touma

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: stargates

No.

Ditto. As much as i like music, for some reason i just don't have any music on when i'm posting.

Apparently i can't multitask. whistle

Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
Ditto! I find listening to music too distracting, when I'm reading and typing.

It seems that I cannot listen to music while I am doing anything on the computer.
I also cannot listen to music when I am reading a book. The music distracts me from the book, then the book distracts me from the music, and I end up not really enjoying either as much as I could.
Not too long ago the only time that I listened to music was when I was driving alone in my car, usually going to and from work. Due to changes in circumstances the only time that I listen to music now is when I am walking around town.
I frequently give thanks for the invention of the MP3 player. smile

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 02:23 PM

I gotta have my itunes goin' when I post. Life's a garden dig it! Right now I'm jammin' the Foo Fighters - The Pretender from their album Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace.
Posted by: Gevin

Re: Are you listening? - 08/21/11 03:38 PM

I typically post from my mobile phone lately.
Sooooo,.. I'm listening to whatever is around me.

Re: Are you listening? - 08/22/11 12:07 AM

The Stones' Gimme Shelter while I sip on a cup of Celestial Seasonings Honey Vanilla Chamomile herbal tea.

Re: Are you listening? - 08/22/11 03:08 AM

"A Beautiful Day"

by: The Orb

from: The Future Academy Of Noise, Rhythm, And Gardening Presents... The Dream
Posted by: Nambu Hakase

Re: Are you listening? - 08/22/11 06:33 AM

Not while on forums. It's too distracting but I will post what I'm listening to on the AN forum. smile I usually listen to music while I'm doing something monotonous on the computer.

Re: Are you listening? - 08/22/11 12:46 PM

I'm posting to sound of "Protection" by Massive Attack". Massive Attack is one those artists that I was just so lucky to discover; so powerful, so unconventional. I'd be hard pressed to categorize them.

Re: Are you listening? - 08/22/11 11:46 PM

I'm listening to "Lion and Sheep" by Andreas Vollenweider.

Re: Are you listening? - 08/23/11 11:28 PM

I'm posting to the sounds of the world rhythms of "Cusco". The song "Oracle Of Delphi" from the album "Inner Journeys: Myth + Legends"

Re: Are you listening? - 08/23/11 11:42 PM

Fear Factory just started playing the song 540,000 Degrees Fahrenheit from Transgression on my itunes. I nearly jumped out of my skin! I love metal!
Posted by: Tsunami3k

Re: Are you listening? - 08/24/11 07:54 AM

I've listened to Fear Factory for a long time but I must admit that I fell off the boat after being disappointed with Archetype and Transgression. Their older stuff was much, much better. While both albums were ok, they both struck me as being very generic sounding. It definitely had the Fear Factory flavor but nothing really stood out about them. Has any of their new stuff improved?
Posted by: PetrifiedJello

Re: Are you listening? - 08/24/11 11:58 AM

Music? While online? Surely you jest. All I hear is moaning.

*cymbal crash.
>:)

Re: Are you listening? - 08/24/11 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Tsunami3k
I've listened to Fear Factory for a long time but I must admit that I fell off the boat after being disappointed with Archetype and Transgression. Their older stuff was much, much better. While both albums were ok, they both struck me as being very generic sounding. It definitely had the Fear Factory flavor but nothing really stood out about them. Has any of their new stuff improved?
Really? Transgression's got a cover of Killing Joke's "Millenium" on it. Killing Joke has been the impetus for many a metal band's inspiration.

BTW If you like Fear Factory, you might be interested Burton C. Bell's side project: Ascension O The Watchers"; although it is much more sedate than Fear Factory. It's a collaboration of Burton C. Bell(Fear Factory's frontman) and Paul Raven(of Killing Joke AND Prong fame). They've got Al Jourgenson(of Ministry and The Revolting Cocks fame)doing all the technicals under the moniker Mixmaster General... legendary. They do a haunting cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound Of Silence"... double legendary!

I guess the story goes:

They wanted to do a more "musical" album. This is understandable, considering that Burton C. Bell quite literally invented "singing" in metal. They knew that fans of their current and past incarnations (Fear Factory, Prong, Ministry, etc...) might not understand (or tolerate) such a creation, so they decided to courageously do it under a new band name: Ascension Of The Watchers. This was a very ballsy (wow spellcheck allows ballsy) move on their part, considering the sales would be MUCH greater under a well known band name. To further obfuscate their creation, they all got together and got a cabin up in the northwoods somewhere to do all their recording. How weird is that? You can really tell that AOTW was a labor of love, not a fan product.

It is a haunting and dark album. I'm not kidding. This album actually exists. I've got the CD. It's got really great artwork, sort of a cool deep yellow, gold, and bronze motif.

Here's a link to the video for the song "On The River" from their album "Numinosum":

http://youtu.be/ZeEr8Y8ho80

Re: Are you listening? - 08/24/11 07:22 PM

I just got my hands on the new Otep album Atavist. Ahh... the sweet subtle sounds of Otep Shamaya's feminine voice sooth the spirit like a CHAINSAW ON MY SOUL!

Re: Are you listening? - 08/25/11 06:38 PM

I'm listening to "Blade Runner Blues". It just kills me every time... just kills me. frown

Re: Are you listening? - 08/27/11 12:00 PM

I'm jamm' Bye Bye Johnny! Gotta love the Great 28. Yay Chuck Berry!

Re: Are you listening? - 08/28/11 12:23 AM

I'm listening to "We Have Explosive" by "The Future Sound Of London".

Re: Are you listening? - 08/30/11 04:31 PM

I'm jammin' "Kissing Families" by the Silversun Pickups!

Re: Are you listening? - 09/01/11 03:14 PM

Tom Waits is helping me post with "Dirt In The Ground" from the "Bone Machine".

Re: Are you listening? - 09/02/11 02:59 PM

Listening to Testament's Low. I saw them on the Low tour. I actually met Chuck Billy before the show. Dude... is... HUGE! Testament has a song called Urotsukidoji on the Low album.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/02/11 04:20 PM

Nice. smile I remember when those first two Testament albums came out, and they had a very unique sound (great stuff to play during the Halloween season). Once that lineup started to break apart (just after Souls Of Black, I think), the band dropped off my radar, but back in the early days, Testament was a major force, along with S.O.D., Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax. I think the only time I saw them was when they opened for Metallica, but I can't rememeber... maybe that was Sepultura. Anyway, I used to go see metal bands all the time... Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Death Angel, etc.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/02/11 06:44 PM

Speaking of Sepultura, have you listened to the Cavalera Conspiracy? I've got the CD Infikted. The brothers Cavalera are back! I recommend the song Black Ark. Give it a listen.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/03/11 10:41 AM

No, the only recent metal I've listed to are the Japanese bands Moi dix Mois and Versailles (and Versailles isn't strictly metal), and of course, Dethklok. I'll check the Web for Cavalera Conspiracy, though.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/03/11 10:54 AM

O.K., I just listened to "Inflikted" (great!) and "Black Ark" (not bad, but not "Inflikted"). It's nice to know that they've still got it. smile I might have to pick up the CD.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/03/11 01:54 PM

Yay Max and Igor! Yeah, I've become rather discerning in my tastes in new metal as well. I've embraced very little new metal because the greater majority of it sounds like a product for a target audience. It all sounds the same to me more or less.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a few metal bands that I've really taken a shine to in the last several years: Dethklok, The Cavalera Conspiracy, and Otep.

Does Dethklok even count considering it's a cartoon? Does The Cavalera Conspiracy even count due to Max and Igor having been in the industry for 2 decades. I think we all owe Ms. Shamaya a big thanks for personally breathing life into an otherwise dying genre.

The mark of a great band is when you find it hard to peg your favorite album. It's that way for me with Ms. Shamaya. Ms. Shamaya's my pet name for OTEP.
It's kinda funny, nobody believes me when I tell them that the lead vocal is a woman; even when I mention that the band's name is her 1st name.

Gotta check out the track "Rise, Rebel, Resist" from their album "Smash The Control Machine"
Posted by: EricDent

Re: Are you listening? - 09/04/11 12:26 AM

Not really while I post, but I do listen to my iPhone (using the iPod feature) in the car when driving.

The most recent CD I got was Weird Al's Alpocalypse, which is the first CD of his in 5 years.

The best song on that IMO is the "Craigslist" song which is not a parody, but is done in the style of The Doors (Al sounds a lot like Jim Morrison in this song).

Other than that, just a bunch of random '60s, '70s, & '80s rock.
Plus a ton of full length anime opening/closing songs.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/04/11 12:30 AM

Well Dethlok did actually tour about a year or so ago, so I guess that counts.

Apparently The Rolling Stones might have a farewell tour for their next one.
Seriously whatever Keith Richards is on must be some sort of Fountain of Youth.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/04/11 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: EricDent
Apparently The Rolling Stones might have a farewell tour for their next one. Seriously whatever Keith Richards is on must be some sort of Fountain of Youth.
Is that what the kids are callin' it these days?

Re: Are you listening? - 09/04/11 01:03 AM

The most recent CD I got was Weird Al's Alpocalypse, which is the first CD of his in 5 years. The best song on that IMO is the "Craigslist" song which is not a parody, but is done in the style of The Doors (Al sounds a lot like Jim Morrison in this song).
Despite his tongue in cheek style, Weird Al's actually very talented.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/05/11 12:50 AM

Yeah apparently when he did the song "Smells Like Nirvana" (parody of "Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana) they knew they had "made it big".

I saw him in concert back when I lived near Seattle. He usually ends every show with "Yoda" (parody of Lola) but he added "The Legacy Begins" (a parody of "American Pie") cause it's another Star Wars themed song.

The concert was pretty fun, and you also got to go to the fair for free.

My brother is really into music, and keeps up with some rather random bands.
He went to a concert to see Bob Dylan and we went to the state fair just for kicks.

I went to an Oasis concert with him one time, and they were pretty funny.
Apparently a bunch of people had thrown change at them the previous night, and they were threatening walking off the stage (with several choice words mixed in). Also went to a Pearl Jam concertthat featured other bands.
It was sort of like it was "famous dad" groups, cause they had The Wallflowers (Bob Dylan's kid), and Sean Lennon (John Lennon's other kid besides Julian).

The worst concert we went to was The Beastie Boys. They were in their "instrumental" phase, and there was this really wasted girl behind us that kept falling on us. They also only played the cool songs at the end, and none of them were from the first album (which is IMO the best rap album ever).

Other than that I have attended several "oldies" group concerts.
Like Chubby Checker, Sha-Na-Na, Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits), Three Dig Night, Drifters, and even saw the musical based on Buddy Holly's life.

Speaking of musicals, it's kind if odd that I saw a Fiddler on the Roof musical in the Fox Theater in Seattle, and many years later I saw the same guy in The Producers. Also saw a dinner/music show that had Manhattan Transfer (sort of a retro '50s big band show).

BTW apparently my uncle (who lives in West Seattle) said that Eddie Vedder used to live in this rather large house near him. Eddie Vedder is the lead singer for Pearl Jam in case you did not know.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/05/11 01:15 AM

You're pretty lucky to have seen all those great shows.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/05/11 02:23 AM

"Send Me On My Way" by "Rusted Root" from their album "When I Woke".

Re: Are you listening? - 09/05/11 09:28 AM

1992 was a good year for concerts.

The best concert I ever saw was when Spinal Tap came through Nashville during the Break Like The Wind (1992) tour. It's amusing to think that of all the concerts I've seen, a parody band put on the best show. The venue was a large amphitheater (Starwood). The musical performance itself was great, but the stage props and comedy were great, too. It was everything I expected from the Tap.

Of the "serious" concerts, the two best that I remember were Rollins Band (Henry Rollins) during The End Of Silence (1992) tour (which had Ice-T/Body Count as the opening act), and the night that Cannibal Corpse opened for Obituary. I think there was a third band that opened first, but I can't remember... I think it was either Agnostic Front or Malevolent Creation. The venues for both of these events was a small club (328 Performance Hall).

Rollins went through his Silence album, performing the most intense and popular songs (the singles) first, rather than saving them for later in the set (I think he opened with "You Didn't Need"). I prefer that approach, although most bands are afraid to do that. He had the mic cable wrapped around his hand during most of his songs, and at one point, a fan tried to climb on stage right in front of him. In mid-song, Rollins punched the guy right in the head, knocking him backward off stage. That was great! lol

While Obituary was great on stage, Cannibal Corpse (original lineup) dished out the hardest metal performance I've ever seen live. In-between songs, Chris Barnes spoke in his growl, never breaking "character," and I laughed every time. Two years later, when Cannibal Corpse headlined during the 1994 The Bleeding tour, his spoke in his normal human voice in-between songs. The second show was also great, but not as mind-blowing as the first. I think that was the last tour with Barnes, and after he left, I stopped keeping up with the band. Anyway, seeing those two bands back-to-back made for a very intense evening.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/05/11 03:00 PM

I would not want to mess with Henry Rollins, he looks like he could kick some serious but.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/05/11 11:46 PM

'93 was pretty sweet too. I saw Life Of Agony with Type O Negative. Sal Abruscato played drums for both bands! How hardcore is that? Thought Industry opened for them.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/06/11 07:59 AM

How was Type O Negative live?

Re: Are you listening? - 09/06/11 08:20 PM

Dark, brooding, and Peter Steele is larger than life. It was the smokiest show I've ever been to. I couldn't see s???. Oh yeah, the chicks from the cover of Bloody Kisses were gettin' it on on stage!

Re: Are you listening? - 09/07/11 06:23 PM

I'm listenin' to the smooth sound of Eagle Eye Cherry's "Death Defied By Will", so smooth.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/08/11 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Stefanie
I might have to pick up the CD {Infliked}.

I did, yesterday.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/08/11 06:10 PM

It's so crunchy, it stays crunchy even in milk.

How bad are you?

I'm so bad I had a bowl o' nails for breakfast.

That's not so bad.

Without any milk!

Re: Are you listening? - 09/09/11 02:31 PM

"I'm bad! I'm so bad, I should be in detention!"

Re: Are you listening? - 09/10/11 12:37 AM

Not!

Re: Are you listening? - 09/11/11 01:03 AM

It's so crunchy, it stays crunchy even in milk.

How bad are you?

I'm so bad I had a bowl o' nails for breakfast.

That's not so bad.

Without any milk!

Didn't they do that on SpongeBob Squarepants?

You know that episode where SpongeBob tries to get into the Salty Spitoon "tough guy" bar?

Re: Are you listening? - 09/12/11 12:19 AM

Nice... but Spongebob and Patrick were better suited to Wienie Hut Jr. Correction: Super Wienie Hut Jr.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/21/11 11:34 AM

I got the new Blind Pilot! "We Are The Tide"

Re: Are you listening? - 09/24/11 07:45 PM

I'm listening to the song Teotihuacan by Noel Gallagher. It is a very powerful piece. I couldn't live without it. It's kinda off the beaten path. I've got it because it's on the X-Files soundtrack.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/25/11 05:11 PM

"Over The Sky" the ending theme from Last Exile. I don't know which is better; the ending theme, or the opening theme: "Cloud Age Symphony". confused

Re: Are you listening? - 10/09/11 11:57 PM

Guardian Angel - Juno Reactor

Re: Are you listening? - 10/21/11 12:31 AM

Got my itunes cranked while I post to big beats o' the Crystal Method's "Wild, Sweet and Cool" from Tweekend.

Re: Are you listening? - 10/26/11 10:58 PM

I just picked up the "Hanna" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. It's the latest masterpiece of none other than "The Chemical Brothers". "Hanna" was amazing. If you like anime, you'll like"Hanna".

Re: Are you listening? - 11/21/11 04:23 PM

Cyndi Lauper's The Goonies 'r' Good Enough

Re: Are you listening? - 11/22/11 03:35 PM

I'm crankin' Killing Joke's new album Absolute Dissent.

Re: Are you listening? - 11/29/11 11:02 PM

Otep's "Blood Of Saints" from their album Atavist. yummy

Re: Are you listening? - 12/06/11 11:05 PM

"Air Of December" by Edie Brickell And The New Bohemians.

Re: Are you listening? - 12/25/11 08:12 PM

I'm listening the the main theme from Firefly.

http://youtu.be/D7vS4z6ngQo

Re: Are you listening? - 12/25/11 09:50 PM

I'm listening the the main theme from Firefly.

http://youtu.be/D7vS4z6ngQo

Thatís the greatest show that nobody watched, except, for those who did.
Where visible enough and made themselves know enough.
That the Funding and Green Light was given for a Movie..

I think it was really smart Silence Fiction and it deserved more seasons on TV and more than one movie.

Re: Are you listening? - 12/25/11 11:19 PM

Though you must admit that they apparently stole quite a few ideas for that show from Outlaw Star.

At least that's what I hear, since I never really watched it.

Re: Are you listening? - 12/26/11 08:17 AM

Though you must admit that they apparently stole quite a few ideas for that show from Outlaw Star.

At least that's what I hear, since I never really watched it.

Hmm, I do know, Iím not even done with my first cup of Coffee, so I canít even start to think of What the two might have in common.

I know that not too long ago someone laid out similarities of Outlaw Star and some other show.
Couldnít tellíya which one ( I canít remember ) but was that other show Firefly, I just donít know..

Re: Are you listening? - 12/26/11 05:13 PM

I believe that Joss Whedon is a fan of all things nerd, much like myself. (e.g. anime, sci fi, role playing video games, etc...) It's been said that Outlaw Star was inspirational to Joss Whedon. It's undeniable how many coincidences there are. I picked up on more than a few before I read about any comparisons. I was a Firefly fan long before I was an Outlaw Star fan. This may have caused me to embrace Outlaw Star more than I would have normally. I believe that I've posted this before, but I'm not sure; so here you go.

Firefly Outlaw Star comparison

Re: Are you listening? - 12/26/11 07:42 PM

Well... There ya go
grin
Posted by: zrdb

Re: Are you listening? - 12/26/11 07:55 PM

"Over The Sky" the ending theme from Last Exile. I don't know which is better; the ending theme, or the opening theme: "Cloud Age Symphony". confused

Hell yes-all the time-right now I'm listening to the ost for the Last Exile sequel-Fam The Silver Wing-the number "Tail Wind". I have so much music on my harddrives it isn't even funny-almost everyting I have is in a lossless format-mostly flac.

Re: Are you listening? - 12/27/11 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: zrdb

Hell yes-all the time-right now I'm listening to the ost for the Last Exile sequel-Fam The Silver Wing-the number "Tail Wind". I have so much music on my harddrives it isn't even funny-almost everyting I have is in a lossless format-mostly flac.
kiku's jealous! sick

Re: Are you listening? - 02/08/12 09:42 AM

I'm boppin' my head about like a buffoon to the irresistible sounds of Send Me On My Way from Rusted Root's album When I Woke, also from the greatest movie EVARRR!
http://youtu.be/eMKEgU_lN24

Re: Are you listening? - 02/09/12 02:34 AM

Dido's Sand In My Shoes. I picked up Life For Rent and No Angel for a song wink at Goodwill today.

Re: Are you listening? - 02/09/12 06:49 PM

I just picked up:

Dido: No Angel
Dido: Life For Rent
Dido: Safe Trip Home
Cavalera Conspiracy: Blunt Force Trauma
Blackie And The Rodeo Kings: Kings And Queens
Posted by: dark_producer

Re: Are you listening? - 02/13/12 12:18 AM

The Misfits. I had the week from hell that rampaged its way into my weekend. so i needed something a little more.. punk to brighten up my day. Funny how that works huh?

Re: Are you listening? - 02/13/12 08:06 AM

Punk with a little twist of CainGlenn Danzig.

Re: Are you listening? - 02/28/12 09:05 AM

Soulfly - Tree Of Pain

Re: Are you listening? - 02/28/12 04:04 PM

Stefanie
You haven't posted for a Month 1-23(?)-12
Where-oh-where have you gone...
frown

Re: Are you listening? - 02/28/12 11:20 PM

zentropa and touma are nowhere to be found either.
Posted by: joelgundam01

Re: Are you listening? - 02/28/12 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: BWBODDY
Stefanie
You haven't posted for a Month 1-23(?)-12
Where-oh-where have you gone...
frown

I see Stefanie on they PSN quite often. I'll shoot her a message the next time I'm on and let her know that the TRSI gang misses her. smile

Off topic: I also need to convince her to buy BlazBlue: CSE.

Re: Are you listening? - 03/06/12 08:30 AM

I'm in a trance listening to Perfume Tree. angel I discovered this vanguard vancouver band on the Weirdsville soundtrack. Weirdsville's one of my favorite movies.

Re: Are you listening? - 03/12/12 09:09 PM

Kow Otani - Blue Wing Of Tomorrow (Ashita No Blue Wing) - OP for Daphne In The Brilliant Blue.

This song's 'bout as catchy as they come. I've liked it since the first moment I heard it. As a matter of fact there's just something I like about Daphne In The Brilliant Blue period. I guess it's not just one thing. I'm particularly enamored of the character designs, and not just for the fan service either; although that's a plus. Actually it was Maia's face on the cover that hooked me on this series; and subsequently, the intro that sold me.

Re: Are you listening? - 03/13/12 02:14 PM

Blackie And The Rodeo Kings

Re: Are you listening? - 03/21/12 08:51 PM

I went on a real tear and picked up:

Incubus - If Not Now, When?
Frontline Assembly - Epitaph
Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline
The Decemberists - Long Live The King
Filter - The Amalgamut
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Blackie And The Rodeo Kings - Swinging From The Chains Of Love
Blackie And The Rodeo Kings - Kings And Queens
Perfume Tree - A Lifetime Away
Perfume Tree - Tide's Out

Re: Are you listening? - 03/27/12 07:49 PM

My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes To Bitburg) from Animal Boy

Long live the Ramones!

Re: Are you listening? - 05/03/12 07:54 PM

David Gray's White Ladder

Re: Are you listening? - 05/03/12 09:03 PM

Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare For The Common Man".

Re: Are you listening? - 05/03/12 11:24 PM

I just checked out his wiki page. Pretty interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Copeland

Re: Are you listening? - 05/04/12 12:38 AM

Boy Kiku do you have a mess of hobbies & free time to do them!

Lately at work they have been putting on various concert Blu-Rays.
Some of which are good (Billy Joel, Rush, David Gillmore, & ZZ Top).
While others are not (Adelle, Celine Dion, Elton John (he can't do any of his old stuff due to his voice change)).

Other than that not much new stuff, though the local "classic rock" station did yet another format change and is now playing more modern stuff mixed in with the old stuff.

Re: Are you listening? - 05/04/12 12:36 PM

Actually I'm not familiar with Aaron Copeland, I just checked out the wiki due to zrdb's interest and the fact that I was happy to have some company in the "are you listening" topic.
Posted by: formerroadie

Re: Are you listening? - 05/06/12 11:24 AM

I have been listening to a lot of Stereopony, Scandal, Negoto, and Sotaisei Riron

Re: Are you listening? - 05/06/12 01:52 PM

I think I'm getting old. I've heard of none of the above.

Re: Are you listening? - 05/06/12 04:11 PM

Join the crowd-I haven't heard of any of those, either.
Posted by: dark_producer

Re: Are you listening? - 05/10/12 01:16 AM

i havent either, might have to look them up purely out of curiosity now...

Re: Are you listening? - 05/10/12 05:31 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah! Just when I thought I had seen the most kawaii avatar in the history of forever, you come out with that one... mini finger nibbles. Kawaii OD!

Re: Are you listening? - 05/29/12 08:09 PM

Silversun Pickups - Neck Of The Woods

Re: Are you listening? - 05/30/12 02:22 PM

I love the White Album and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I've also got George Harrison's All Things Must Pass.

Re: Are you listening? - 05/30/12 07:18 PM

Cusco's Tula

Re: Are you listening? - 08/01/12 10:58 AM

Quilombo - Soulfly
Posted by: White Wolf

Re: Are you listening? - 08/11/12 08:37 PM

Iron Maiden- "The Trooper"

Re: Are you listening? - 08/12/12 08:03 PM

Hey White Wolf. It's nice to have someone else posting in the "Are you listening" topic. I gotta have tunes while I post.

Re: Are you listening? - 08/14/12 12:53 AM

To quote Bill & Ted "Iron Maiden, Excellent!"

BTW apparently they are coming to San Antonio in September.

I don't really listen to albums, but mostly random music on the radio.
Usually it's either the classic rock station or the so-called "random" station (says they play anything).

At work we have a Muzak station that plays a rather long loop, so we don't hear the same songs that often. Plus we have several concert Blu-Rays running on several TVs. Not to mention sometimes the audio department gets rather loud with the "thump" type music.

Re: Are you listening? - 08/14/12 08:57 AM

Muzak... I haven't heard that one in a while. whistle

Re: Are you listening? - 08/14/12 09:52 AM

At fye, they have a DVD playing on the Video Screens and Music coming out of the sound system.
Iíve been there many times ( selling used DVDís ) and ether window shopping or just standing around watching whatís on the Screens, while I wait.

Sometimes the DVD image on-screen and the unrelated Music coming out of the sound system, did match up.

Re: Are you listening? - 08/14/12 07:52 PM

Van Halen 1984-YEAH!!

Re: Are you listening? - 08/23/12 04:50 AM

Iron Maiden-"Wasted Years"

Iron Maiden was the very first band I ever saw in concert. Along with Ronnie James Dio.

Re: Are you listening? - 08/24/12 10:09 AM

The only Iron Maiden Album I've ever had was "Somewhere In Time". As for Dio, I used to have "The Sacred Heart" and "Dream Evil". Nowadays I have to sustain with the "The Very Beast Of Dio".

Re: Are you listening? - 08/28/12 08:03 PM

Today I picked up a few CD's:

Thievery Corporation - It Takes A Thief (greatest hits/compilation)
Thievery Corporation - Culture Of Fear (new one)
"Smooth a?? down tempo lounge."

Rusted Root - Rusted Root (self titled, but not their first)
Rusted Root - Welcome To My Party (latest one?)
"Everybody knows Send Me On My Way from Matilda."

Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth (new one)
"Saw 'em on their Low tour."

Re: Are you listening? - 08/29/12 07:16 PM

Xandria-"Blood on My Hands"

They sound like a older version of Nightwish, when Tarja was still in the band.
Posted by: Sei

Re: Are you listening? - 09/07/12 02:49 PM

Sublime- Santeria

Re: Are you listening? - 09/07/12 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Sei
Sublime- Santeria
Sublime gets played where I work on a near daily basis. I've never owned any albums, but could probably sing along to all of 'em.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/07/12 10:28 PM

I'm listening to the Croisee In A Foreign Labyrinth BGM Music Album which I just received in the mail with the set, and subsequently loaded into my iTunes; although I had to manually list all the track names... brutal.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/22/12 12:01 PM

Babylon II from David Gray's White Ladder.

Re: Are you listening? - 11/07/12 02:56 PM

How To Save A Life. I just picked up a copy of The Fray's album of the same name.
Posted by: Nambu Hakase

Re: Are you listening? - 11/08/12 01:51 AM

I'm posting a jpop. COLTEMONIKHA is electronica and catchy.

Domino - COLTEMONIKHA

My COLTEMONIKHA playlist

Re: Are you listening? - 11/08/12 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Nambu Hakase
I'm posting a jpop. COLTEMONIKHA is electronica and catchy.

Domino - COLTEMONIKHA

My COLTEMONIKHA playlist
I love the Fantastic Fantasy clip, very South American.
Posted by: shinjiyo

Re: Are you listening? - 11/09/12 03:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF8QeluQ-5U

Just a song I remember listening a long time ago... Song's in Hmong but he also says word in other languages too. Kind of like the music I grew up to. Funny at the same time to but his words are deep. =DDDD lol

Re: Are you listening? - 11/10/12 11:29 AM

Sad piano makes for sad panda.

Re: Are you listening? - 12/04/12 06:14 PM

Crystal Method, Dirty Thirty, Cranked!

Re: Are you listening? - 12/07/12 10:58 AM

Down On The Street from Rage Against The Machine's Renegades album.
Posted by: Animejr

Re: Are you listening? - 12/07/12 04:50 PM

Listening to the new fozzy album, and picked up 3 ill nino albums really cheap. I love the fozzy cd and one of the ill nino however the other 2 are way to much screamo to the point it kills the enjoyment of the music

Re: Are you listening? - 12/19/12 01:26 PM

Daydreaming (Brixton Bass Mix) by Massive Attack

Re: Are you listening? - 12/23/12 06:42 PM

"Too Late, Too Early" from Perfume Tree's "Tide's Out".

Re: Are you listening? - 12/24/12 12:08 AM

"The Queen's Rebuke/The Crossing" from The Decemberists' album "The Hazards Of Love"

Re: Are you listening? - 12/31/12 10:28 PM

"Talk Shows On Mute" from Incubus's "A Crow Left Of The Murder".

Re: Are you listening? - 01/04/13 10:24 PM

Dethalbum III

Re: Are you listening? - 01/21/13 09:37 PM

Nobuo Uematsu - The Last Story: Premium Soundtrack

Last Story... heir apparent to Final Fantasy.

Re: Are you listening? - 02/25/13 10:30 PM

Half Asleep by Matthew Sweet

Re: Are you listening? - 03/05/13 06:27 PM

I've gotten quite a few CD's recently:

Last Exile O.S.T. 2
Matthew Sweet - Earth
Ronnie Baker Brooks - Take Me Witcha
Big Head Todd And The Monsters - All The Love You Need
Big Head Todd And The Monsters - Riviera
Big Head Todd And The Monsters - Rocksteady
Big Head Todd And The Monsters - Strategem
Big Head Todd And The Monsters - Crimes Of Passion
Big Head Todd And The Monsters - Beautiful World
Big Head Blues Club Featuring Big Head Todd And The Monsters - 100 Years Of Robert Johnson
Garbage - Absolute Garbage
Toad The Wet Sprocket - In Light Syrup
Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
OTEP - Hydra
Mazzy Star - Among My Swan
Leon Russel - Carney

I love music.

Re: Are you listening? - 03/09/13 11:34 PM

Listenin' to the Last Exile O.S.T. 2, just bein' all around excited for Fam The Silver Wing.

Re: Are you listening? - 03/10/13 09:09 AM

I just finished up Real Bout High School, I really liked it, itís a keeper. grin
It came with a soundtrack, anybody want it ??

Pic 1: OUTSIDE COVER ( Front & back )
Pic 2: INSIDE COVER w/CD

If you want it ( free of charge ) shoot me a PM !!!

Re: Are you listening? - 03/10/13 01:34 PM

"Tears In Rain" from Vangelis' Blade Runner Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Re: Are you listening? - 03/22/13 01:32 PM

Solatorobo: Red The Hunter O.S.T.
Posted by: CheechMonger

Re: Are you listening? - 03/22/13 11:10 PM

Listening to Heavy Picks: The Robert Cray Band Collection

Re: Are you listening? - 03/25/13 07:54 PM

I think I'm getting old. I've heard of none of the above.

They are all Japanese rock bands:
Scandal
https://vimeo.com/57152576

FLiP
https://vimeo.com/41582852

Stereopony:
https://vimeo.com/42188502

Yeah, they all play their instruments. Love all three. I have more Japanese bands if you all are interested smile

I've also been listening to Loquat, Depeche Mode, and Soul Savers lately smile

Re: Are you listening? - 03/25/13 11:10 PM

Depeche Mode, now I've heard of them. Lacuna Coil does a great cover of Enjoy The Silence on their Karmacode album. BTW those were fun vids. Thanks for posting 'em. I liked FliP. cool

Re: Are you listening? - 03/27/13 12:09 PM

The newest Scandal concert has been uploaded to Youtube. It's their Osaka-jo gig. SO GOOD! 2+ hours.

http://youtu.be/bjcKX_xlqW8

Highly recommended

Re: Are you listening? - 04/06/13 10:30 PM

The ost from Guin Saga-it's awesome.

Re: Are you listening? - 04/17/13 11:16 PM

I'm listening to "What's Up". I just picked up"4 Non Blondes" album "Bigger Better Faster Longer" from Goodwill for $3.00.

Re: Are you listening? - 04/18/13 03:06 AM

I'm listening to "What's Up". I just picked up"4 Non Blondes" album "Bigger Better Faster Longer" from Goodwill for $3.00.

OMG "4 Non Blondes" shocked
I haven't heard of that one hit wonder in decades... grin

What's Up!
25 years and my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill of hope For a destination
I realized quickly when I knew I should
That the world was made up of this brotherhood of man
For whatever that means
And so I cry sometimes when I'm lying in bed
Just to get it all out, what's in my head
And I, I am feeling a little peculiar
And so I wake in the morning and I step outside
And I take deep breath and I get real high
And I scream from the top of my lungs
What's goin' on?
And I say hey, heyI said hey, what's goin' on?
And I try, oh my God do I tryI try all the time In this institution
And I pray, oh my God do I prayI pray every single day
For a revolution
And so I cry sometimes when I'm lying in my bed
Just to get it all out, what's in my head
And I, I am feeling a little peculiar
And so I wake in the morning and I step outside
And I take a deep breath and I get real high
And I scream from the top of my lungs
What's goin' on?
25 years and my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill of hope For a destination

Re: Are you listening? - 04/18/13 11:14 AM

laugh What's goin' on!?

Re: Are you listening? - 04/18/13 12:24 PM

laugh What's goin' on!?

It's funny, you'd think the Song would of been Called "What's Going On ?"
But it is called "What's Up".
crazy
Posted by: anddreiw

Re: Are you listening? - 05/02/13 10:56 AM

I like to listen music when I am writing or typing.It increase my efficiency and performance.

Re: Are you listening? - 05/02/13 04:52 PM

If you spell your name backward, sit spells: "wierd DNA". I before E, except after C; and in words like anddreiw backwards. Oh, and I'm listening to Ijime Dame Zettai. Thanks again B Dub.

Re: Are you listening? - 05/02/13 11:25 PM

If you spell your name backward, sit spells: "wierd DNA". I before E, except after C; and in words like anddreiw backwards. Oh, and I'm listening to Ijime Dame Zettai. Thanks again B Dub.

grin
Posted by: CheechMonger

Re: Are you listening? - 05/10/13 10:42 PM

Listening to Retrospective 3 by Rush. Love the remix on One Little Victory!

Re: Are you listening? - 05/19/13 12:45 AM

Disappearing World - David Gray

Re: Are you listening? - 05/22/13 04:12 PM

Line!

Re: Are you listening? - 06/04/13 08:23 PM

I just downloaded Boom Boom Satellites Over And Over from iTunes.

Re: Are you listening? - 06/13/13 09:37 PM

Fear Factory's The Industrialist... brutal!

Re: Are you listening? - 06/18/13 11:35 AM

Why? - Tracy Chapman

Re: Are you listening? - 06/19/13 06:59 PM

The Clay Idols' Flower Thief from Falling Down Backwards.

Re: Are you listening? - 07/18/13 12:16 PM

The Genocyber Soundtrack

Re: Are you listening? - 09/26/13 04:12 PM

Queen's Blade Rebellion Soundtrack

I had to type all of the track names and information in when I put the discs into my iTunes... brutal. If I'm not mistaken, there are printed typos on the the Soundtrack 2 disc. There are apparently two sets of songs with (fast) and (slow) versions: "Hyper Vibration Valkyrie Mirim" and Anti Demon Expert Tarnyang. First off, they are both reversed. The tracks labeled (slow) have a faster tempo than their (fast) counterparts. Furthermore; track 7 is entitled Hyper Vibration Valkyrie Mirim (last). I'm pretty sure that they meant (fast)... even if it is the slower of the two.

Re: Are you listening? - 09/26/13 05:14 PM

Queen's Blade Rebellion Soundtrack

I had to type all of the track names and information in when I put the discs into my iTunes... brutal. If I'm not mistaken, there are printed typos on the the Soundtrack 2 disc. There are apparently two sets of songs with (fast) and (slow) versions: "Hyper Vibration Valkyrie Mirim" and Anti Demon Expert Tarnyang. First off, they are both reversed. The tracks labeled (slow) have a faster tempo than their (fast) counterparts. Furthermore; track 7 is entitled Hyper Vibration Valkyrie Mirim (last). I'm pretty sure that they meant (fast)... even if it is the slower of the two.

I'm not into buying or listening to TV Show/Movie soundtracks, ( I do own Tommy but that's not the same as buying a Movie soundtrack )
I didn't care for the fact that I had to scroll past all of the CD info/Song list before getting to the DVD info on the Queen's Blade Rebellion Information Page.
I would of thought ( and preferred ) the DVD Info would have been listed first

Ah, listen to me run off at the mouth, sorry kiku I donít mean anything by it
Iím not complaining, Iím just saying!
Posted by: sevi

Re: Are you listening? - 09/26/13 05:58 PM

The only Anime Soundtracks I listen to often are ones for Akira, Vampire Princess Miyu, and some of the Studio Ghibli films (and even then mostly Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away). If anyone knows anything decent, let me know ^-^ /

(I also have the Soundtracks for Chobits, Hellsing, Doki Doki School Hours, and Ah! My Goddess)

Re: Are you listening? - 09/27/13 11:21 AM

I don't have too many anime soundtracks, probably 'bout 15. I really like the "Metropolis" soundtrack; Cyberpunk & Dixieland, nuff said. Daphne In The Brillant Blue is really upbeat and awesome. Oh, and the Last Exile O.S.T. 1 and O.S.T. 2 are a must. I also have Gunbuster & DieBuster (from iTunes), Gun X Sword 1 & 2, Blood: The Last Vampire, Tenjho Tenge Great Disc 1, Doki Doki School Hours, eX Driver, The Mars Daybreak Original Sound Log I & II, and Akira. You're right Akira is awesome.

Re: Are you listening? - 10/16/13 12:37 AM

I just ordered the Wolf Children soundtrack.
Posted by: t-Roy

Re: Are you listening? - 10/16/13 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: sevi
The only Anime Soundtracks I listen to often are ones for Akira, Vampire Princess Miyu, and some of the Studio Ghibli films (and even then mostly Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away). If anyone knows anything decent, let me know ^-^ /

Do you have Nausicaa's sountrack at all, Sevi? ... I like that one for Ghibli, although i don't own any soundtrack CDs...

Re: Are you listening? - 10/16/13 01:45 PM

I just ordered the Wolf Children soundtrack.

I've got the Blu-ray on pre-order, but I plan to stream it sometime soon, before I get the movie in the mail. No idea what the soundtrack sounds like.
Posted by: sevi

Re: Are you listening? - 10/16/13 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: t-Roy

Do you have Nausicaa's sountrack at all, Sevi? ... I like that one for Ghibli, although i don't own any soundtrack CDs...

I never did manage to pick that one up and I couldn't remember why. But looking it up again I know now that it's because there's 4 different versions, the regular movie one and 3 others, and I couldn't figure out which one to get. I'm leaning towards either the Wind Fairy version or the Hi-Tech. Though, I might flake and end up getting the Laputa soundtrack instead.

Re: Are you listening? - 10/16/13 05:55 PM

I never did manage to pick that one up and I couldn't remember why. But looking it up again I know now that it's because there's 4 different versions, the regular movie one and 3 others, and I couldn't figure out which one to get. I'm leaning towards either the Wind Fairy version or the Hi-Tech. Though, I might flake and end up getting the Laputa soundtrack instead.

I really need to re-watch Laputa again soon, that's another one of my favorite Ghibli. It's been a few years since I saw it last, but if I recall, that one has some good music in it too. Reason I asked about Nausicaa was that I just watched it again a couple nights ago, and that main orchestral theme with the strings and piano is so beautiful... but the music in the movie is also quite varied, with some Indian Sitar and some funky electronic tunes in there as well. I can't imagine how they'd have 4 different versions of the soundtrack, though...

Re: Are you listening? - 11/16/13 02:33 PM

Just picked up Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite OP 71 A by Alberto Lizzio and the London Festival Orchestra from Goodwill's CD section for a whopping $2.99Ö and it's in mint condition, although the paper is a little yellowed from the rigors of time. It sounds great. I love the Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy! I wouldn't have known much about the orchestra involved, it being an older holiday release and all; but thanks to loading it into my iTunes I've got that sort of information as well. The Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy reminds me of Yoshi's Story. I love Yoshi's Story!

Re: Are you listening? - 11/16/13 02:55 PM

Just picked up Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite OP 71 A by Alberto Lizzio and the London Festival Orchestra from Goodwill's CD section for a whopping $2.99Ö and it's in mint condition, although the paper is a little yellowed from the rigors of time. It sounds great. I love the Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy! I wouldn't have known much about the orchestra involved, it being an older holiday release and all; but thanks to loading it into my iTunes I've got that sort of information as well. The Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy reminds me of Yoshi's Story. I love Yoshi's Story!

Cool, I've got a CD with
Piano Concerto No.1
String Serenade
Violin Concerto
The Sleeping Beauty
Capiccio Italien
Swan Lake
Eugene Onegin

Re: Are you listening? - 11/17/13 12:15 AM

Classical is good for the soul.

Re: Are you listening? - 11/17/13 09:02 AM

Classical is good for the soul.

Yes it is ! smile

Re: Are you listening? - 11/17/13 07:54 PM

It's been said that it's also good for the mind and body.
Posted by: Cheap One

Re: Are you listening? - 11/17/13 09:21 PM

I play my Catherine OST all the time when I have to do house work. I think you would enjoy it kiku. It is remixes of classical songs with a video game sort of twist.

Re: Are you listening? - 12/03/13 06:03 PM

Wolf Children Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Re: Are you listening? - 12/24/13 04:34 PM

The World Of Waltzes-a few waltzes never hurt anybody!

Re: Are you listening? - 12/29/13 01:46 PM

Just found the Kill La Kill ost online-as soon as I finish I'll listen to it and see what all the hullabaloo is about. Just listened to it-didn't care for it one bit, thank goodness that I didn't buy it-would have been a gigantic waste of $30.

Re: Are you listening? - 01/09/14 12:03 AM

I'm jammin' The Future Sound Of London right now. I just got three CDs in that I had on special order at my local record shop.

The Future Sound Of London - We Have Explosive
Wipeout XL Soundtrack
Mortal Kombat Annihilation Soundtrack

Re: Are you listening? - 01/10/14 02:28 AM

Just bought: Tangerine Dream - Cyclone (Used)

Re: Are you listening? - 01/14/14 01:25 AM

Loops Of Fury - The Chemical Brothers

Re: Are you listening? - 01/15/14 12:08 PM

Just bought: Tangerine Dream - Cyclone (Used)

Hey - a fellow Tangerine Dream fan! Most excellent! Do you happen to own any Jean Michel Jarre, by chance? I'm a huge fan of 1970's electronic music... cool

Re: Are you listening? - 01/15/14 07:07 PM

Nope. Never heard of him. The Tangerine Dream albums that I own are:

Cyclone
Electronic Meditation
Green Desert
Phaedra
Tyger

Re: Are you listening? - 01/15/14 10:08 PM

Here ya go, Kiku - try this YT video link - a full Jean Michel Jarre concert - Paris La Defense - a City In Concert , it's one of my favorites of his... Outdoor concert in the heart of the Paris Business district in 1994 - 2.5 million people in attendance, with the crowds stretching back to the Arc du Triumph - Huge projections onto the sides of 50-story buildings, Lasers, search lights, massive fireworks displays, some bizzare "stage props" (it's France, what'd ya expect?!), and his signature Laser Harp - the strings of the harp are laser beams he breaks with his hands to play the notes... Fireworks begin after the 24:00 mark, the song with the laser harp starts at 41:00, check out the thirty steel drum players for the last two songs - the last song is like a big Mardi Gras party....

Re: Are you listening? - 01/16/14 01:09 AM

That was outrageous! Quite the keytar.

Re: Are you listening? - 01/16/14 06:33 AM

Lol! Wow, did you actually sit and watch the entire concert? There's a bunch of other concerts of his on YT, see if his Oxygene in Moscow concert is on there, at the University of Moscow - I'd recommend that one too, only 3.5 million people in attendance for that one! His first three albums, Oxygene, Equinoxe, and Magnetic Fields are especially a similar music style to Tangerine Dream. Jarre is basically the founder of electronic and new age music...

Re: Are you listening? - 01/16/14 11:21 AM

Lol! Wow, did you actually sit and watch the entire concert? There's a bunch of other concerts of his on YT, see if his Oxygene in Moscow concert is on there, at the University of Moscow - I'd recommend that one too, only 3.5 million people in attendance for that one! His first three albums, Oxygene, Equinoxe, and Magnetic Fields are especially a similar music style to Tangerine Dream. Jarre is basically the founder of electronic and new age music...
I didn't watch the entire concert no. I watched a bit here and there. I saw the part where he played the giant laser harp. I also really dug the classical Indian(?) vocalists.

Re: Are you listening? - 01/17/14 09:15 AM

I didn't watch the entire concert no. I watched a bit here and there. I saw the part where he played the giant laser harp. I also really dug the classical Indian(?) vocalists.

OK, well, when you get a chance, watch the entire thing, and some of his other concerts posted on Youtube - Although, he stopped doing all the huge city-scape concerts after Oxygene in Moscow, 2003 I believe - all his concerts since then have been regular-sized concerts, mostly indoors. Boo hoo! I've got about 25 Jarre concerts on DVD at home, all Region 2 stuff, a lot sourced from VHS like Paris La Defense, but they are still so good!

Re: Are you listening? - 01/17/14 12:50 PM

Some of my other favorite New Age (as it were) artists are Andreas Vollenweider, Mars Lasar, Vangelis, and Cusco.

Re: Are you listening? - 01/18/14 10:01 PM

Some of my other favorite New Age (as it were) artists are Andreas Vollenweider, Mars Lasar, Vangelis, and Cusco.
Yes - Vollenweider! I have a bunch of his CDs... and some Vangelis and Kraftwerk. Never had a chance to buy any Cusco, but heard their music. I also have tons of Kitaro CDs, LPs, and Concert DVDs too. And don't laugh, but I'm still a huge Yanni fan, was listening to him right from his very first album in the mid 80's, long before anyone had ever even heard of him. He puts on an awesome stage show with his "band" though - I've seen him in concert 8 times so far... crazy

Re: Are you listening? - 01/18/14 11:51 PM

Yes - Vollenweider! I have a bunch of his CDs... and some Vangelis and Kraftwerk. Never had a chance to buy any Cusco, but heard their music. I also have tons of Kitaro CDs, LPs, and Concert DVDs too. And don't laugh, but I'm still a huge Yanni fan, was listening to him right from his very first album in the mid 80's, long before anyone had ever even heard of him. He puts on an awesome stage show with his "band" though - I've seen him in concert 8 times so far... crazy
I have a friend who's into both Kraftwerk and Kitaro. Oh yeah, he really digs Tomita too.
Posted by: oldcharlie55

Re: Are you listening? - 01/19/14 01:32 AM

I own about 30 Tangerine Dream CDs, mostly all their older stuff which I prefer. I know I had some by Andreas Vollenweider but I can't recall much except it was very quiet music. I also have a few by Cusco (I remember they were on a label that specialized in New Age music) and a bunch by Jean-Michel Jarre. Also lots of Kitaro and Vangelis and (this one embarrasses me a bit now) 6-7 by Mannheim Steamroller.

I have been buying very little music in recent years; it's not that I'm downloading it either. I keep thinking this is a problem as I love music and, although I have a very large collection already new music is always welcome. A couple of years ago at a con I bought a copy of Judas Priest's "Nostradamus" and it sat on my living room table for years before I finally listened to it (and enjoyed it).

I'm making up for that a bit today though. I made several orders on Amazon, taking advantage of the fact that when you buy certain CDs you get a free download as well. What got me started was I had recalled a friend was always telling me about a band called Nightwish (symphonic metal) and I had checked a couple of videos out on Youtube and liked what I heard. I ended up ordering a 2-DVD/2-CD concert set called "Showtime, Storytime" and got a free download of the audio cds. I also recalled that there was a Dream Theater CD that I had forgotten to get so I ordered that too ("A Dramatic Turn of Events) and also downloaded it. I also ordered a live concert BD of their's called "Live at Luna Park". The final item on that order was something I took a big chance on, a set of Iron Maiden CDs called "Eddie's Box Set". I can't find any definitive info on that and while the reviews on Amazon were mostly excellent I don't know for sure what's in it. There was a set released called "Eddie's Head" which came in a special package which this set doesn't; that set has 12 CDs and has all the ones I would want so I hope it's a variant of that (I don't believe it to be a bootleg).

On my new laptop (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro) I use the Xbox Music app to play music; it has a feature where you can click on a symbol by an album you have and it will start a "radio station" playing similar music. After listening to about 6 songs from the live Nightwish CD I tried the radio function and that led me to order another Nightwish CD ("Once" which I am listening to as I type this), a CD by Epica ("The Divine Conspiracy") and one by Krypteria ("Bloodangel's Cry"); I also picked up one by Stone Sour ("House of Gold & Bones Pt. 2"-I have and love Pt. 1). All except the Krypteria CD came with free download.

Then I got to thinking about how I haven't gotten any new industrial music lately, so I started looking and found that 2 of my favorite all-time bands had new CDs out: Skinny Puppy ("Weapon") and Frontline Assembly ("Echogenetic") so I ordered those along with the deluxe edition of Shinedown's "The Sound of Madness" (only the deluxe version has my favorite song of theirs, "Diamond Eyes", on it) all of which had free downloads.

I've got to quit buying CDs now for a while.

Re: Are you listening? - 01/19/14 11:21 AM

Let me know what you think of Frontline Assembly's new album. They're awesome. I have Tactical Neural Implant, Reclamtion, and Epitaph.
Posted by: oldcharlie55

Re: Are you listening? - 01/23/14 10:06 PM

"Echogenetic" sounds really good so far. I've listened to about half of it. It reminds me a bit of their older, more industrial stuff. I think if you like "Tactical Neural Implant" I think you'll like the new one.

Re: Are you listening? - 01/24/14 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. Epitaph is a fairly recent release, and is probably my fave so far.

Re: Are you listening? - 02/07/14 01:29 AM

Love Slave (Short Edit) - DearS CD Soundtrack

Re: Are you listening? - 04/02/14 06:01 PM

Received an order at my local Record Shop:

Mars Lasar - The Eleventh Hour (used)
Mars Lasar - Olympus (used)
Mars Lasar - AfterWorld (new)

There are a couple o' scratches on the used ones, so far they play fine; and went into my iTuens fine. The error correction will help too, if there is any discordance.

Re: Are you listening? - 04/03/14 12:37 PM

Yay! My autographed 15 CD/1 DVD set of Kitaro (he did the OP and ED for the Ninja Scroll series) from Domo Music was delivered today. Can't wait to see it and listen to it! I've been a big fan of Kitaro's music for at least 25-30 years, but I only own one or two CDs of his music, and a couple LP albums - so I figured I get this one since it was on sale for less than half price... An autographed copy is a nice plus, too!

Domo Music - The Ultimate Kitaro Collection - Silk Road Journey with Kitaro Signature

And I see it's now sold out - there was only 20 copies left when I purchased mine...

Re: Are you listening? - 04/03/14 11:47 PM

Yay! My autographed 15 CD/1 DVD set of Kitaro (he did the OP and ED for the Ninja Scroll series) from Domo Music was delivered today. Can't wait to see it and listen to it! I've been a big fan of Kitaro's music for at least 25-30 years, but I only own one or two CDs of his music, and a couple LP albums - so I figured I get this one since it was on sale for less than half price... An autographed copy is a nice plus, too!

Domo Music - The Ultimate Kitaro Collection - Silk Road Journey with Kitaro Signature

And I see it's now sold out - there was only 20 copies left when I purchased mine...

So I took a few pics of the autographed Kitaro Ultimate Collection CD set I got today in the mail - heck, this is just like doing a photo shoot for an anime LE box set! The shipment also included a free Domo 10th Anniversary Sampler CD, and interestingly, track #13 is a song from the soundtrack of the anime Metropolis, which you can see in the sampler foldout in pic #7... Kitaro's autograph is on the front of the slip box, written with a silver marker...

The Ultimate Kitaro Collection #1
The Ultimate Kitaro Collection #2
The Ultimate Kitaro Collection #3
The Ultimate Kitaro Collection #4
The Ultimate Kitaro Collection #5
The Ultimate Kitaro Collection #6
The Ultimate Kitaro Collection #7

Re: Are you listening? - 05/06/14 08:46 PM

Just picked up a couple o' new CD's:

Filter - The Sun Comes Out Tonight
The Crystal Method - The Crystal Method

Re: Are you listening? - 06/17/14 04:39 PM

David Gray's new album Mutineers. God, I love David Gray.