What manga are you reading/just finished reading?

Posted by: EricDent

What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/28/12 03:30 PM

I am re-reading Azumanga Daioh for the dozenth (or so) time.
It still cracks me up everytime, it's so darn cute & funny.
Posted by: stargates

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/30/12 04:20 PM

Same here. It's one of my fav's.

Should have the latest Gunslinger Girl vol today. Once that comes in that will be caught up on.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/10/12 01:29 AM

Finished Azumanga Daioh today (read it a bit slower than usual).
Though it's still sad at the end, I was not as choked up about it as I once was.
Sometimes when I even thought about the ending to the anime or manga I got really really sad, and started to cry.

Maybe it's cause I never wanted such a fun show/manga to end.

Not sure how I will react to the ending to Yotsuba, whenever that happens.

BTW any word on when the next volume of Yotsuba comes out in the US?
Posted by: Cheap One

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/10/12 09:08 AM

I'm currently reading Omamori Himari on volume 4. Do like how so far Yuuto has willing kissed Himari. In harems you normally see the guy try to stay away from any romantic encounter.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/19/12 10:51 PM

Finished up to the latest release of Omamori Himari Volume 6. The action has picked up quite a bit in the later chapters and the fan service has really gone up with volume 6 even showing some nudity.

Though a line from Himari at the end of Vol. 6 has me kind of wondering how it will end.

Click to reveal..
Himari mentions that she hopes Yuuto, can become a Demon Slayer before she uses up her magic and dies.

Am interested if that is just to get the reader to want Yuuto to keep advancing or if it is a foreshadowing of what will happen in the final volume.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/21/12 05:55 PM

Read through Highschool Of The Dead Volume 6 today. What an ending, I would say that is the best ending since Act 1. And I think does a much better job of showing the trouble they are facing with this "Them" take over that they have kind of lost since leaving the school.

Really looking forward to Volume 7 this summer and hopefully HOTD starts back up on the Japan front as they have stopped since Volume 7 released there last year.
Posted by: kiku

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/21/12 10:40 PM

kiku would also like to see a season 2 DVD.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/22/12 01:25 AM

Right there with you Kiku. Though I doubt we will see that anytime soon as the manga isn't that far ahead of where the anime stopped in season 1 as it ended with volume 4. That only gives them volumes 5-7 to work with.
Posted by: Vata Raven

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/22/12 02:06 AM

It's called an OVA. You're not going to see anymore High School of the Dead anime. They do this for a reason, to get people to buy the manga. Yeah, it's not to screw people over on a plot. Anime is made to help sell manga, that was the purpose of it.
Posted by: joelgundam01

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/22/12 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Cheap One
Though I doubt we will see that anytime soon as the manga isn't that far ahead of where the anime stopped in season 1 as it ended with volume 4. That only gives them volumes 5-7 to work with.

Are you sure the anime stopped at volume 4? I have the color edition of the manga, which contains the first four volumes and volume 4 ended where episode 10 was at in the anime.

I assumed that the anime covered a part or all of volume 5.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/22/12 12:16 PM

Just pulled out HOTD Volume 4 and 5.

Volume 4 ends with Act 17 The Sword And The Dead
Which tells of when Seako tells Takeshi she was a "monster" before They appeared. Which the anime places out of place. I can go into more about this if you would like, but it is spoilers to both the Anime and Manga. I would like to stay away from that.

Volume 5 starts with Act 18 Legend Of The Dead
Which is them meeting the people in the Mall, which the anime ends with them reaching it.

Edit: I will discuss a spoiler in it.
Click to reveal..
Volume 5 covers all their mall time and ends with them getting ready to leave, so no way is it in the anime. Volume 6 covers them leaving and deals with some side characters mainly that they meet at the mall.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/22/12 12:30 PM

Just pulled out HOTD Volume 4 and 5.

Volume 4 ends with Act 17 The Sword And The Dead
Which tells of when Seako tells Takeshi she was a "monster" before They appeared. Which the anime places out of place. I can go into more about this if you would like, but it is spoilers to both the Anime and Manga. I would like to stay away from that.

Volume 5 starts with Act 18 Legend Of The Dead
Which is them meeting the people in the Mall, which the anime ends with them reaching it.

I see! The anime rearranges scenes and adds some addition content (fluff) for the end.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/22/12 12:38 PM

Anime doesn't add anything. It just changes when Seako and Takeshi go on their own. The OVA is not in the mange though, in less it is a bonus in Volume 7. I wished the anime would have used Rei's cosplay bonus.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/22/12 05:41 PM

I'm not ready to count HOTD out yet for another season, considering how wildy popular it was; and for good reason. I'm still using all my willpower to stave off getting that naughty naughty graphic novel omnibus 1-4.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/27/12 01:10 AM

Now reading Yotsuba, just cause it's even more funny & cute than Azumanga Daioh was (IMO).

Still kinda irritated that Mr. Azuma won't let anybody even try to do a Yotsuba anime. Apparently he said nobody would "get it" due to the rather long parts of just staring at the sky, or other non-activities.

I mean just look at Lucky Star, the whole first episode is pretty much nothing but them talking about how to eat a chocolate coronet.
That show was popular, and it has very liitle action.
Posted by: Hobby Ninja

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/29/12 04:24 PM

Currently have issues to read of
Arisa
Oh My Goddess
Kekkashi
S.A.
Rosario Vampire: Season II
Pastel

Also recently collected
Jinki Extend

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/18/12 10:21 PM

Got in and read Omamori Himari vol 7 today.

It has some nice progress with Yuuto as a demon slayer. Also I like the new girl they added to his harem.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/23/12 11:52 PM

Finished Yotsuba, now I guess I will just wait like the rest of us for volume 11. Which comes out in September (so almost a year apart from the last volume).

Seriously this is why so many people do the whole illegal viewing thing.
Posted by: oldcharlie55

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/07/12 03:12 AM

I just got done reading an excellent 2-volume manga by Jiro Taniguchi called A Distant Neighborhood. It's about a 48-year-old business man on a business trip who, after getting drunk one night, gets on the wrong train the next day and ends up going to the town he grew up in. With some time to kill before the train back he goes to look at the place he grew up, then goes to his mother's grave. Suddenly he is transported back in time to his 14-year-old self, several months before his father abandoned his family and disappeared. Although now a 14-year-old student, he retains his memories and tries to find out why his father left and whether there is a way to prevent it.

Taniguchi is one of my favorite artists and here he shows he is also a very good writer. I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for something more mature and thought-provoking in manga.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/07/12 10:10 PM

Sounds like an interesting read. Since RightStuf is having a YenPress sale. I would highly recommend using it to pick up Until Death Do Us Part.

It has a nice story about a little girl who can predict things. Who finds herself in some sticky places because of that and the main male character becomes like her bodyguard.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/10/12 11:44 AM

Just finished what Tokypop published of Priest. I wish they had tried to finish it before they closed doors.
Posted by: bacon027

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/18/12 07:12 PM

I just finished book one of House of Five Leaves and I thought it was pretty good. Does anybody have any suggestions on a manga I should read? As of right now I'm reading Black Bird, Black Butler, High School of the Dead, Rosario Vampire and Ouran High School Host Club. I'm open to pretty much anything so drop me a line and give me some ideas. Thanks

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/24/12 09:53 PM

Just got done reading Highschool Of The Dead Volume 7.

We get some nice reactions to the end of Volume 6, which I like a lot. As the ending of Volume 6 to me really set what was happening to them not seen since Volume 1 when everything started. We get some nice progress to the story and from the looks of it I can easily see this series ending with Volume 8 when/if it finally comes out in Japan.

Also very excited about something that happens, but it is a big spoiler so I will talk about it below

Click to reveal..
In Act 29 Dead In The Rain. We get to meet Rei's mother and for a second I thought Rei's mother would meet the same fate as Alice's father. But thankfully Rei shows up and everything ends well with her mom joining the group to go meet Rei's father and Takeshi's mother at a school.
Posted by: Aaron

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/29/12 12:10 AM

I haven't started reading it(High School of the Dead) but... I would love a season 2 but that is the way i feel with a lot of anime. frown

I have been reading Freezing one of my new favorites.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/25/12 11:05 AM

Omamori Himari 8 came in Friday. Read some of it, hoping to finish it tonight.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/29/12 09:57 PM

I'm about halfway through volume two of Qwaser Of Stigmata.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/02/12 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: EricDent
I am re-reading Azumanga Daioh for the dozenth (or so) time.
It still cracks me up everytime, it's so darn cute & funny.
I'm watching the anime right now. It is sooo cute and hilarious. Is the manga as good?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/02/12 12:30 PM

I just finished the first chapter of Omamori Himari volume 1. I love it! The art style is fantastic. It should be noted that the artist (Milan Matra?) has a flair for keeping the art crisp and clean, without oversimplifying it. I mean to say that in any given panel; the art is emotionally charged, yet at the same time it's relatively easy to distinguish things like: what is going on, who's who, and who's saying what. This appears to be a tall order in manga, but Milan Matra pulls it off with aplomb. The best part is, Milan Matra appears to have an affinity for pantsu that rivals even mine. Here's an interesting little tidbit of information regarding Milan Matra that I pulled from ANN:

His pen name came from the portable anti-tank missile MILAN (French: Missile d´infanterie léger antichar) and its manufacturer Matra (now part of MBDA).

@ joelgundam01 and Cheap One - Thanks again guys for guiding me to this most glorious of manga. It was your rave reviews and advice that were the impetus of my discovery of this little gem.

@ joelgundam01 and Cheap One(again) - Shame on you for pushing me down this rabbit hole called manga! Will I ever find my way back out?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 01:32 AM

Some people think the Azumanga Daioh manga is better than the show.
Like Lucky Star it's a 4 panel type comic.
Some of the comic timing is a bit better in the manga than the show.

However the dub voices just put it slightly over the manga.

Though like I stated both of them have kinda sad endings (cause it's so fun you never want it to end).

I personally have the rather out of print ADV Manga version of it.
The more recent Yen Press version is an omnibus (all 4 volumes in one huge book). I heard Azuma cleaned up or redid some of the art for this version.
I personally have not looked at it to see the differences.

The omnibus is kinda expensive at about $26.
So I have not really been in a rush to get it.
I don't think the library carries it either.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info. EricDent.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 09:44 AM

Originally Posted By: kiku
I just finished the first chapter of Omamori Himari volume 1. I love it!

Figured you would enjoy this manga. It only gets better as the number of girls go up in Yuuto's life.

Yen Press also does a good job of translating what all the spirits and such are. As it deals heavily with ones that aren't big in the West/US.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 09:54 AM

I noticed a lot of informative footnotes and even translation of the the "sounds". From what little experience I have, I think that Omamori Himari is manga excellence. I'm about halfway through volume 1 and have yet to be confused by a single panel.
Posted by: shinjiyo

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 09:56 AM

just finish reading oriemo at work... really good! can't wait until volume2 comes out!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 09:59 AM

Have you seen the anime as well? Share your thoughts?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 10:14 AM

hmmm its been awhile since I last saw it, that's why I'm ordering the dvd (s). But if my memory serves me right, it was pretty good. For me, after the first episode I didn't want to stop. If you're unsure about it you can stream it on crunchy roll.

Sorry if that wasn't the kind of answer you were looking for. I was never good at recommending or giving a little feed back. A good thing I'm not a salesperson right? The company would've went under. lol

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 10:19 AM

Ha ha. grin I'm curious, because the title caused quite a stir when it came out.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 10:24 AM

oh yeah. We all know what we were thinking laugh when it came out. But yeah, it's ah... hmmm... ah. It's not what you think but it has "that" little moment of it coming from the title itself. Don't worry. You're safe. =DDD

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 10:28 AM

I just love the character designs on the covers of both the anime and the manga.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 10:33 AM

yeah and the animation's pretty awesome itself. I'm getting the feeling that you haven't seen it before...lol

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/12 10:52 AM

Nope.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/07/12 03:12 PM

Just wrapped up Omamori Himari volume 1. Can't wait to get into volume 2. More Shizuku!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/08/12 12:23 PM

I just started Menagrie 8 in Volume 2 of Omamori Himari. Kitty Ninja at a Maid Cafe anyone?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/08/12 12:25 PM

Is that where the tea girl is introduced? She is great.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/08/12 12:32 PM

Yup, quite literally where I'm at right now; the beginning of Menagerie 8.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/09/12 12:31 AM

Started up Omamori Himari Vol. 9.

Oh my the start of Menageri 49 is crazy. If I didn't know better I would think I was starting up a Hentai manga. So far Vol. 9 is off to a good start, love the image of Himari they used for the TOC page, she looks great in that uniform.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/09/12 02:10 PM

Oh man... you're really selling it to me. I can't wait! I'm 'bout 1/2way through volume 2. BTW what's TOC?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/09/12 02:39 PM

BTW what's TOC?

TOC = Table of Contents

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/09/12 03:13 PM

I have since finished Himari. Looks like Vol. 10 will start up with a bang. All the girls got some nice fan service time as well.

Yea, TOC is that. Don't know if it is called that in manga, if not the page that tells you where the chapters/menagerie starts.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/10/12 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
BTW what's TOC?

TOC = Table of Contents
Thanks joelgundam01. BTW
Click to reveal..
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/10/12 11:37 AM

I have since finished Himari. Looks like Vol. 10 will start up with a bang. All the girls got some nice fan service time as well.

Yea, TOC is that. Don't know if it is called that in manga, if not the page that tells you where the chapters/menagerie starts.
Volume 10... kiku want.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/10/12 11:43 AM

Oh man... you're really selling it to me. I can't wait! I'm 'bout 1/2way through volume 2.

There is a scene between Shizuku and Himari in Menageri 54 that I think was made for you. When you reach it, you must let me know what you think of it. Trust me you will know what I am talking about once you get there.

Edit:
Click to reveal..
Yes, Happy Birthday to Joel

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/10/12 12:24 PM

There is a scene between Shizuku and Himari in Menageri 54 that I think was made for you. When you reach it, you must let me know what you think of it. Trust me you will know what I am talking about once you get there.

I think I know what you're talking about.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes.
Posted by: sailormoon4ever

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/11/12 09:29 AM

Sailor moon vol 8 I've read it like four times since i got it

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/13/12 07:46 PM

Just wrapped up Omamori Himari volume three. There were some nice little treats at the end. Not to mention that it was quite a cliffhanger, but there were a couple of comedy shorts to boot. There was also a great chibi shot of Himari and a fanservice shot of her too.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/13/12 07:53 PM

Just wrapped up Omamori Himari volume three. There were some nice little treats at the end. Not to mention that it was quite a cliffhanger, but there were a couple of comedy shorts to boot. There was also a great chibi shot of Himari and a fanservice shot of her too.

That series just gets more into the fanservice and randyness as you go. After the last volume I read (the hot spring story of course) I had to go find my wife...and see what she was..er..doing. wink

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/13/12 10:47 PM

Great to read you are enjoying Omamori Himari, Kiku.

So who is your favorite girl so far? Based on your other posts about it I would guess little miss water demon Shizuku.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 02:02 PM

I've started reading Triage X made by Shouji Sato. He is of course best known for drawing Highschool Of The Dead.

Now when looking at the art of Triage X you can tell it is done by the same guy. It has a very HOTD feel to it and many of the characters so far in Triage X do look like missing HOTD characters.

Yen Press starts off by explaining what Triage means and the origin of the word. This pretty much sets up what the story is going to be about. Which is "to select" mainly dealing with patients in a medical center. Where the characters are pretty much assassins and they have to kill "the selected" person that was chosen to die, so that someone else can live.

It seems like a pretty good story and Sato doesn't shy away from bringing on the fanservice that you see in HOTD. So far I would say this has more then what you see in HOTD. It is more on par with the amount you see in the HOTD anime.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 04:44 PM

I "flipped through" 'bout a hundred pages of Triage X on an online site that lets you view manga for free. The interface sucks donkey b???s, but Triage X looks kinda cool.

Who's my favorite Omamori Himari character. Am I that transparent? What's not to like about a dripping wet kawaii loli tsundere with six a foot tongue in a school swimsuit? And yes, I'm enjoying Omamori Himari very much. I'm about halfway through volume 4. I've toyed around with manga and graphic novels in the past, not to mention comic books; but as far as I'm concerned Omamori Himari sets the bar.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 04:50 PM

I "flipped through" 'bout a hundred pages of Triage X on an online site that lets you view manga for free. The interface sucks donkey b???s, but Triage X looks kinda cool.

You don't like the interface? Well watch out for HOTD cause Sato does the same thing in it. Triage X is set up very much like HOTD in both art and interface.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 05:25 PM

No no. I'm sorry. What I meant by interface, was the website itself that I was at. It was far from legit. "Flipping cyber pages" is a b???? with a crummy interface. I really liked the art that I saw in Triage X. I was actually at another site (I forgot where) that shows that we can exect at least five volumes of Triage X. I believe that's how many have been released across the pond.

I'm also kinda thinkin' 'bout checkin' out HOTD when the next omnibus makes the scene, if they're both still available.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 08:17 PM

I'm also kinda thinkin' 'bout checkin' out HOTD when the next omnibus makes the scene, if they're both still available.

Go after the Color Omnibus now, which contains vols 1-4. It's well worth the price in my opinion. It's rare to see a manga in a large hard cover book. The second Omnibus will release out some time next year and will cover vols. 5-7.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 08:33 PM

Do you think that it's availability will become limited by the time omnibus 2 comes out?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 08:39 PM

HOTD is a big seller for YenPress. They wont let it go oop for long. Though the Hardcover has gone through a few months of "we'll get it for you"

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 08:40 PM

Do you think that it's availability will become limited by the time omnibus 2 comes out?

Don't know! Yen Press is pretty unpredictable when it comes to print runs.

You should be fine, but I don't take any chances when it comes to unique items like this.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 08:46 PM

I'm kinda hard pressed for cash now. I just spent over $160.00 on some of Sentai Filmworks' latest preorders.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 08:49 PM

You should be alright. I would wait for a Yen Press sale and just grab it then.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 09:18 PM

I would wait for a Yen Press sale and just grab it then.

That's probably the best strategy. A Yen Press sale usually occurs every four months, so you won't be waiting too long.

I wouldn't wait until the second omnibus releases, since it's just slated for sometime in 2013 at the moment. It could be in Spring or it could be in the late Fall. Who knows!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/14/12 09:35 PM

Yen Press's site has it up for June 2013

http://www.yenpress.com/2009/01/june-2013/
Posted by: Animejr

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/15/12 06:30 AM

I dont think im gona read any manga until the new lovely sailor moon box set comes out, very excited for that

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/15/12 01:25 PM

I have now finished Triage X Vol. 1.

I like the way the story is set up so far. The main characters are part of this underground justice team. I would say very much in the style of Batman, expect they don't have all the fancy gadgetry as old Bruce.

I think I will continue following this, though I would like to see a return of HOTD cause so far it is the better manga.
Posted by: KILLRENJI

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/18/12 09:39 PM

Just finished March Story vol 4. Just started reading Black Lagoon vol 9 (love it!)
I just purchased Dogs 0-7 so that is next.
Does anyone has any favorites or darker manga suggestions?? I was looking at Biomega as a potential.
I have been watching anime for years and have quite the collection. Just started reading manga a few months ago and just want to find some gems that are out there. I am open to anything except that hentai bs.
I live in Montana and there is not many fans up here.
I do read Bleach on a weekly basis.
Anything would help!!!!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/18/12 10:05 PM

I mainly read ecchi stuff and I am just going to guess you won't like them with the hentai comment.

I'm personally excited for a new manga coming over titled "BTOOOM!" it is about a group of people dropped off on an island and they have to kill each other with BIMs which are bombs with different types of setups. Some explode on impact some have a timer some are smoke bombs and so on.

Once you kill 6 people you can get off the island and most of the people there played the video game "BTOOOM" which is where the BIM set up came from.
Posted by: KILLRENJI

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/19/12 11:02 AM

I mainly read ecchi stuff and I am just going to guess you won't like them with the hentai comment.

I'm personally excited for a new manga coming over titled "BTOOOM!" it is about a group of people dropped off on an island and they have to kill each other with BIMs which are bombs with different types of setups. Some explode on impact some have a timer some are smoke bombs and so on.

Once you kill 6 people you can get off the island and most of the people there played the video game "BTOOOM" which is where the BIM set up came from.

Ecchi doesn't bother me. I read Kenichi and some other titles that have plenty of fan service. Just don't care for crazy over the top. I will have to check out that series you mentioned. I like the premise.. i also like super violent stuff like Elfen Lied.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/19/12 11:23 AM

I just recently watched the Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple anime. I am fairly new to manga as well. I recently read both volumes of Qwaser Of Stigmata. It was pretty good, and violent; although it might not be to your liking due to the ecchi level being quite high. I am currently reading Omamori Himari volume 6. I just can't get enough! I can't praise Omamori Himari and Milan Matra enough. It's packed with action and ecchi and great art. Also of note is the cleanliness of the art style and layout. It's not sparse by any means. I simply mean to say that it's very easy to follow; and to know who's saying what, and what's going on in any given panel and/or page. I recently received volume 9 and am anxiously awaiting news regarding the preorder release of volume 10.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/19/12 11:48 AM

Wow you already on Vol 6 of Himari? The wait will be long for you waiting on Vol 10 with being so used to just starting the next volume when you finish the last one. One thing I kind of hate about following a manga while it is still coming out.

Renji, yea "BTOOOM!" is pretty good. I haven't read the manga yet just been watching the anime on Crunchyroll but I hear it follows the manga pretty close so far. Also found out recently we should be getting the anime as well as Sentai has the license.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/19/12 12:10 PM

I skipped "Commence Operation" and moved on to the volume six of Omamori Himari. I figure I'll wait and see if volume ten has a bonus story in it as well, plus I'm monogamous when it comes to anime & manga. One story at a time. I left a bookmark in volume five where "Commence Operation" starts so I can come back to it when I've finished Omamori Himari.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/19/12 01:20 PM

Commence Operation is a nice little story. It has nothing to do with OH expect Milan also drew it, he did it before OH and I would guess some of the characters in OH are based off the ones in it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/19/12 01:53 PM

Commence Operation is a nice little story. It has nothing to do with OH expect Milan also drew it, he did it before OH and I would guess some of the characters in OH are based off the ones in it.

It's actually Milan's first work. The one-shot (one chapter manga) that got his name known.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/21/12 12:37 AM

Is it just me, or is there more to Shizuku than just her catchphrase: "You know?"? She seems to relate to her life as a "show" on a few occasions. I'm just starting to pick up on it. Then again it could all be in my head. Either way, I love Omamori Himari and rue the day that I run out of volumes to read.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/21/12 12:46 AM

No I think you have a sort of self contained struggle with all five of the "main" characters. Yuto, Rinko, Himari, Shizuku and Kuesu.

At least I view those five as the main characters of the manga.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/21/12 12:50 AM

At one point Shizuku said something to the effect of: "There can only be one loli in this show, you know?"

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/21/12 12:57 AM

Yea, I think she says that when they go to Yuto's grandparents place or when Himari turns into a loli. I think the "show" part is just a joke to break the forth wall.

In a later chapter you see Rinko really grow into a character, with a story from her past. I really think they should of had that happen earlier in the manga as she kind of gets left behind with Himari and Shizuku and even more so when Kuesu and Liz join the gang.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/21/12 01:13 AM

I like how she's come think of herself as a vital tether to normalcy in Yuuto's life. You're right, there's character development in Omamori Himari. It's not shoved in your face though, it's subtle. I think that Omamori Himari would come off as just another Harem to a lot of people, but it's much better than that. And there's pantsu.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/24/12 07:21 PM

Shizuku's all dressed up like she's in When They Cry or something, not to mention her face is contorted with pent up rage. This is a side of her I didn't expect to see, you know? I think she's goona kill that girl.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/28/12 12:17 PM

Finished Omamori Himari 7, reading 8. I'm kinda diggin' the beautiful psychic detective.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/28/12 02:06 PM

You're getting close to being all caught up on OH. Volume 8 is a ton of fun and the extra little side chapter at the end has a ton of 4th wall breaking jokes. Which I do enjoy in my harem comedies like Omamori Himari.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/28/12 02:41 PM

Yep, it'll be a long wait until 10. When I finish 9, I'll go back and read Commence Operation! to tide me over. So I can expect more "Shizuku commenting on the show" awesomeness in volume 8?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/28/12 03:55 PM

Yea, to me Volume 8 is really when the manga starts to show off it isn't just an ecchi/harem title. All the main characters are set up and the fight against the Nine Tails is starting to shape up.

Shizuku is her normal self, if you are asking about the extra chapter. She does throw in a good line.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/28/12 04:18 PM

Did I mention I love Shizuku, you know?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/01/12 12:20 AM

Finished volume 8 of Omamori Himari.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/01/12 12:30 AM

Look forward to your reactions to what happens in Volume 9, and I pity you for having to join the long wait for Vol 10 with me.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/01/12 01:16 AM

I've been holding back on volume 0 too, so I've got that to fall back on until 10; phew. I wonder if volume 10 will have more "Commence Operation" in it like 5 did?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/01/12 01:22 AM

No as Joel pointed out it was a one shot thing he made before Omamori Himari.

Volume 10 just has Chapters 56-62 of Omamori Himari.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/01/12 11:49 AM

I wonder if volume 10 will have more "Commence Operation" in it like 5 did?

Nope! Like I said it was a "one shot". In other words, only 1 chapter was ever made.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/01/12 12:48 PM

I just aboput fell out of my chair laughing when I started volume 9 of Omamori Himari. The scene depicts a sleeping Yuuto "sleep molesting" a very awake Himari. When Yuuto awakens; Shizuku, intending to tell them that it's time for breakfast, walks in on them. Yuuto is subsequently doused and toungue strangled by a jealous and enraged
Shizuku. I was in stitiches!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/01/12 01:05 PM

I just aboput fell out of my chair laughing when I started volume 9 of Omamori Himari. The scene depicts a sleeping Yuuto "sleep molesting" a very awake Himari. When Yuuto awakens; Shizuku, intending to tell them that it's time for breakfast, walks in on them. Yuuto is subsequently doused and toungue strangled by a jealous and enraged
Shizuku. I was in stitiches!

Yep
Started up Omamori Himari Vol. 9.

Oh my the start of Menageri 49 is crazy. If I didn't know better I would think I was starting up a Hentai manga. So far Vol. 9 is off to a good start, love the image of Himari they used for the TOC page, she looks great in that uniform.

And it just gets better from there.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/04/12 12:24 AM

Just finished volume 9 of Omamori Himari. Talk about setting up for the final showdown. I can't wait. Thankfully I've got volume 0 to read while I chomp at the bit for 10.
Posted by: Serendipity

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/04/12 10:40 AM

Just finished Alice in the Country of Hearts and it was rather disappointing. My mind was blown majority of the way through (I never understood the original Alice in wonderland lol) and it was very fun.

*SPOILERS*
...That is until I realized that Alice/Hatter was canon. mad Blegh! Julius was my favorite and even creepy rabbit Peter grew on me. I also ended up predicting that the Hatter and the Queen were related, so it wasn't that much of a surprise. Ace, this dude through me for a loop the entire 3 omnibuses, I wasn't sure whether to feel sorry for him or hate him b/c the man is seriously a psycho.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/04/12 06:16 PM

Props to Alice In Wonderland for being inspirational to game designers. Chasing the rabbit in Super Mario 64 never gets old!
Posted by: sevi

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/05/12 02:38 AM

Considering there are so many spin- offs from Alice in the Country of Hearts I don't think there really is a set cannon pairing. Kinda the shoujo equivalent of the Gakuen Heaven series. But I could be wrong so don't quote me on that.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/21/12 03:07 AM

Finished Omamori Himari 0. It's a great guideline for keeping the world of Omamori Himari straight, plus it's filled with fanservice.
Posted by: Wise Silver Wolf

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/23/12 11:07 AM

I read Naruto 614 and Bleach 521 this weekend smile I also read the Berserk manga but it takes a really long time for each volume from that manga to be released and its never at a steady schedule.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/27/12 11:56 PM

Yeah Dark Horse is like that with all its manga properties. The only exception I can think of to the delayed release rule would probably be the Gantz series which pretty much comes out regularly every other month. If you wanna talk about huge lengths of time between volume release though try reading MPD Psycho or Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. There's at least a 2 year gap between each volume release.
Posted by: CheechMonger

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/13/13 08:43 PM

Started reading the first Cross Game omnibus today.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/01/13 12:11 AM

So I was looking around to see if anybody had rescued Strawberry Marshmallow yet.
No luck, but I did find someplace to read up to the latest volume online.
Apparently it's up to volume 8 & still going.

We only got up to volume 5 before it either was cancelled or Tokyo Pop went splat.

I read a chapter just to see if whomever translated it did a good job.
It was pretty funny (just like the real manga/anime) though I kinda wish they toned down the honorifics (Miu never calls her "older sister" Oni-San in the official translations).
In fact all of them call her Nobue.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/01/13 01:03 AM

Fan translations normally keep a lot of the Japanese stuff in tack like honorifics. Just something you have to deal with when reading them.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/01/13 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: EricDent
I read a chapter just to see if whomever translated it did a good job.
It was pretty funny (just like the real manga/anime) though I kinda wish they toned down the honorifics (Miu never calls her "older sister" Oni-San in the official translations).

If they are calling her "Onii-san", then they are not doing a good job translating it.

Onii-san = Big Brother
Onee-san = Big Sister

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/01/13 04:56 PM

It probably was the female version, just a mistake on my part...

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/02/13 12:49 AM

Go after the Color Omnibus now, which contains vols 1-4. It's well worth the price in my opinion. It's rare to see a manga in a large hard cover book. The second Omnibus will release out some time next year and will cover vols. 5-7.

Well this is no longer true. As the Japanese have pushed back the color editions of Vol 5 and 6 as seen here(the official Japanese manga site so be weary of heavy ecchi shots)

Also Yen Press' twitter revealed they are putting in the "Lighting Pop" art book in their release as well. Which had fan service images of HOTD and Triage X.
Posted by: kakashi12210

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/06/13 05:30 PM

Just finished reading My Girlfriend is a Geek vol 5 and I enjoyed the whole series. I wish it would have been longer though.
Posted by: ChaosBlade666

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/15/13 12:00 AM

question: is SAO manga better than the anime? nevr read any of it so just curious

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/15/13 12:10 AM

Don't know, but Asuna looks horrible in them. So glad her anime version wasn't totally pulled from it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/25/13 06:04 PM

Well this is no longer true. As the Japanese have pushed back the color editions of Vol 5 and 6 as seen here(the official Japanese manga site so be weary of heavy ecchi shots)

Also Yen Press' twitter revealed they are putting in the "Lighting Pop" art book in their release as well. Which had fan service images of HOTD and Triage X.

I noticed on Jbox that they have both color versions (volume 5 and 6) untranslated in their listings. They weren't preorder either so I think they were released either earlier this month or late last month.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/25/13 07:38 PM

Yea, they came out in early Feb. I haven't seen anything on Vol 7's color release. Though Yen Press still has Fall 2013. So it should come out sometime before that as no way we see Vol 7 colored first.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/25/13 11:10 PM

More on topic: The last manga I finished reading was Mardock Scramble volume 6. It definitely wasn't the best volume out of the series. It didn't really have any action and seemed like filler more than anything.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/06/13 01:03 PM

Mayo Chiki vol. 1 - I really like this title. The art work is really clean and I really like the comedy.

Angel Para Bellum vols 1+2 - Wow! I like this title a lot. I received the first 2 volumes on Monday and read both of them in one sitting. The art is by Nozomu Tamaki (Dance in the Vampire Bund), while the story is written by someone else (Kent Minami). The title is very action packed, while the story is much more shallow compared to DITVB. However, I really like the concept. Two fallen angels (Azrael and Gabriel) are sent to the human world to protect the main character (MC) from the demons who want his power. The MC is a Nephilim (half angel, half human) who has the power to either save or destroy the world.

Click to reveal.. (Not really a spoiler, but could be NSFW)
What I really like about this title is that it goes into detail on why all angels look female and they have a lot fun with it. The truth is that they are hermaphrodites (have both male and female reproductive organs) and since the boobs are usually present. It's easier to just dress as a woman than a guy.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/06/13 11:32 PM

Have you watched the Mayo Chiki anime? I really liked it. Angel Parabellum sounds pretty wild.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/07/13 10:18 AM

Have you watched the Mayo Chiki anime?

No! I have not and will not unless it gets a dub. Just like BW, I too am dyslectic and it's impossible for me to keep up with subtitles.

That's why I went after the manga.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/07/13 07:51 PM

I'm kind of wondering if Angel Para Bellum has been cancelled. Volume 3 was originally listed as coming out in April, but it's no longer listed on Rightstuf or Amazon. Or maybe Seven Seas is having problems in general because the new Witch Hunter was supposed to be out today but now it's not coming out til the end of the month at the earliest.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/07/13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: sevi
I'm kind of wondering if Angel Para Bellum has been cancelled. Volume 3 was originally listed as coming out in April, but it's no longer listed on Rightstuf or Amazon.

The volume was delayed in Japan and most likely Seven Seas just pulled it for now, until they can re-solicit it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/07/13 11:14 PM

I'm kind of wondering if Angel Para Bellum has been cancelled. Volume 3 was originally listed as coming out in April, but it's no longer listed on Rightstuf or Amazon.

The volume was delayed in Japan and most likely Seven Seas just pulled it for now, until they can re-solicit it.

Well, that's good to know. I don't want the company to go down now that I'm actually reading some of their titles. Though I'm still not happy that they made the decision to revive Blood Alone knowing that after volume 6 the series would be under a different company and need to be licensed differently :P

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/08/13 12:02 AM

Have you watched the Mayo Chiki anime?

No! I have not and will not unless it gets a dub. Just like BW, I too am dyslectic and it's impossible for me to keep up with subtitles.

That's why I went after the manga.
If it ever does get a dub, I'd recommend checking it out. It's loads of fun. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/08/13 02:04 AM

Just finished reading Black Butler vol 12. Now I'm impatiently waiting for volume 13. I wanna see Lizzie kick some zombie a55.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/23/13 01:40 AM

Just finished the first volume of Btoom!!. So far, it's definitely in my keeper pile. It's reminding me a lot of series like Battle Royale, Gantz, Attack on Titan, Bloody Monday, and Cage of Eden in that it isn't sugar coating the violence. The protagonist has his flaws, but for me that only highlights the difference between his true character and how he came to perceive himself in the gaming world. It's not my favorite of the ultraviolent genre, but it does gain major pointage in my book for not resorting to using guns. So far- B
Posted by: Satellizer

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/19/13 08:17 AM

I just finished Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan volume 1
It was funny and had some bloody action
I was surprised

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/19/13 11:28 AM

Read Omamori Himari 1-7 the past two days and I love it. I couldn't put it down. I'm about to start 8 and 9, then read 0.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/19/13 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: kakashi12210
Read Omamori Himari 1-7 the past two days and I love it. I couldn't put it down. I'm about to start 8 and 9, then read 0.
Omamori Himari is one of the few manga I have read. I loved it. You do have volume 10 on preorder right?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/19/13 12:56 PM

Omamori Himari is one of the few manga I have read. I loved it. You do have volume 10 on preorder right?

Have you read Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project? It's an alternate world version of NGE with an insanely high level of fan-service. The series was even parodied by the author of Queens Blade Struggle in the Neon Genesis Evangelion Tribute Comic.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/19/13 01:23 PM

I'm going to order it in 4 days, when I make my purchase for the Funimation sale going on.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/19/13 03:05 PM

Wow, Kiku is now pushing manga. You have really come full circle with the manga love.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/19/13 05:17 PM

Just finished reading The Neon Genesis Evangelion Tribute Comic. I initially bought it mainly because Yun Kouga contributed but the whole thing was just amazing. Especially the story Misato's Shinji Ikari Raising Project Report. It was one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/20/13 08:17 PM

Have you read Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project? It's an alternate world version of NGE with an insanely high level of fan-service. The series was even parodied by the author of Queens Blade Struggle in the Neon Genesis Evangelion Tribute Comic.
Wow, Kiku is now pushing manga. You have really come full circle with the manga love.
You guys, you guys, you guys! Omamori Himari 10 is less than a month away! Yay me! Yay you! Yay fanservice!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/24/13 05:51 PM

Just finished Omamori Himari volume 9 and I can't wait for volume 10.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/25/13 10:11 AM

kiku's hoping that all the Omamori Himari manga interest here at Anime Today will instigate the release of the anime.

Oh yeah, and kiku's anxiously awaiting volume 10.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/25/13 12:15 PM

Oh yeah, and kiku's anxiously awaiting volume 10.

I can't wait to see your reactions on a certain chapter in this volume.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/31/13 04:54 PM

Well OH Vol 10 came in today and I just got done reading it. And I am sad that it is over. Hopefully Yen Press announces Vol 11 soon, as I must know what happens next.

The volume delivers on all the things you come to expect from OH. We get lots of action with some nice fan service to lighten the mood, plus some fun harem moments.

I will discuss the spoiler, below.
Click to reveal..
Okay, the big blockbuster moment is Kuesu's death.
WOW, is all I can say about it. I never thought we would see anyone die in this, let alone one of the girls in Yuuto's harem. Even more shocking is she is on the cover of Vol 11. So I am totally unsure about what that means.

Great job on another entertaining volume Milan Matra and I can't wait for volume 11's release. It will be very hard to hold out and not read the fan scans.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/01/13 10:50 AM

Oh man, you had me scared there. I swear, if anyone were to lay a finger on my little Shizuku; I'd kill 'em you know.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/01/13 10:59 AM

Oh man, you had me scared there. I swear, if anyone were to lay a finger on my little Shizuku; I'd kill 'em you know.

You haven't read it yet?

You are going to be in shock about how it happens. S*** goes down is all i'll say. Vol 11 should be very interesting.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/01/13 11:21 AM

Nope, not yet. I'm in the middle of another book, and I'm a pretty slow reader.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/01/13 11:48 AM

I warned you guys, that there was a shocking scene in volume 10.

Click to reveal.. (major spoiler from volume 11)
Kuesu gets resurrected by her mother. I'm not sure though, if this was her first time dying or if she has actually died before in the past. After all, there was a scene earlier on where Kuesu's mother was preforming some sort of ritual on her.

I'm not expecting to see volume 11 come out until early next year.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/06/13 08:51 PM

Omamori Himari 10

The art inside the front (back?) cover is just, well... I love Milan Matra. He's got a real knack for... detail.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/06/13 09:16 PM

Yea, front cover would be correct.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/08/13 12:57 PM

I finished Omamori Himari 10. Wow... just wow. Talk about action, but wait; before I get started. I leisurely read the first few chapters, but when I approached the halfway point; it was one solid read until I was done. Milan played with the frames a lot in this one. One important scene even took up the top half or better of two pages for impact. This volume was tumultuos! Lots of different speech bubbles goin' on, and action; did I mention action. Milan himself even noted the high content of battle in this one. He also noted that he was so focused this time that there was little room left for fanservice, but boy oh boy; when it was there... it was there. Ah, so much happened this time!

Fair warning: spoilers ahead!
Click to reveal..
Shizuku apparently takes something of a backseat this time, yet... her (borderline maternal) house of water only PROTECTED ALL OF JAPAN FROM THE MOST POWERFUL DEMONS, DEMON SLAYERS, AND AYAKASHI IN THE WORLD!!! Oh and that ninja girl, Kaya; is it just me or is she totally into Himari? Tama-san's out of control, which provides us with a rare pantsu shot. Why can't she just eat crepes? Himari is well... awesome, to say the least. Having all of her weapons at hand at the drop of a hat (or stomach contents) doesn't hurt either. Good job Aya. It's awesome to see her in top form. Yuuto's really startin' to throw the smack down too...

...although, I've got a sneaking suspicion that we haven't seen every top demon yet.
More, MORE, MOAR!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/08/13 09:07 PM

Thought you would love this volume, and I am of course also excited for Volume 11. I was just so sad when Volume 10 finished.

Thought you would enjoy Kaya's role in this one. I do agree with you about her, as that is heavily hinted at in her first appearance when the gang goes to Yuuto's grandparents house.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/09/13 10:43 AM

Click to reveal..
Will they ever be able to tear Himari and Tama apart?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/17/13 10:43 PM

I finished reading Omamori Himari 10 a few days ago and I loved it. I didn't think they would
Click to reveal..
Kill off one of the main characters.
I don't know if I can wait about 6 months or longer to get volume 11.

I also read up to volume 4 of Is This A Zombie and so far it's pretty much just like the anime. I still enjoyed reading it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/17/13 10:46 PM

I know, volume 10 has me chompin' at the bit for volume 11 too! You're enjoying Is This A Zombie? Would you recommend it?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/17/13 10:54 PM

I know, volume 10 has me chompin' at the bit for volume 11 too! You're enjoying Is This A Zombie? Would you recommend it?

I really enjoyed the manga, but it's not that much different from the anime. It does have slight differences, but it's not totally different. If you've seen the anime and liked it, I would say check the manga out.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/17/13 11:00 PM

Great to read you enjoyed OH Vol. 10. I was shocked by that spoiler as well as I put in my reaction comment.

Yen Press' site already has up to December in its new releases section, but hopefully they can add in OH Vol 11 somewhere in there. As I would hate to have to wait till early 2014 for it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/17/13 11:10 PM

Great to read you enjoyed OH Vol. 10. I was shocked by that spoiler as well as I put in my reaction comment.

Yen Press' site already has up to December in its new releases section, but hopefully they can add in OH Vol 11 somewhere in there. As I would hate to have to wait till early 2014 for it.

I can see it being released sometime between October - December, if it won't be until a few months into next year, I might have to break down and read a scan online.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/02/13 07:26 PM

It's going to be a long wait for Omamori Himari Volume 11. The release date is set for January 21, 2014

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/02/13 09:08 PM

It's going to be a long wait for Omamori Himari Volume 11. The release date is set for January 21, 2014

Where did you get this date? Yen Press' site has it for January 2014 and they normally release on the last Tuesday of the month. The last Tuesday is January 28, 2014.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/02/13 09:23 PM

Where did you get this date? Yen Press' site has it for January 2014 and they normally release on the last Tuesday of the month. The last Tuesday is January 28, 2014.

I got it from Wikipedia, whose source for it came from Amazon's listing that says "This title will be released on January 21, 2014."

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/02/13 09:46 PM

Irregardless of release date, I'm pretty thankful that Omamori Himari is still going strong stateside.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/02/13 09:53 PM

Irregardless of release date, I'm pretty thankful that Omamori Himari is still going strong stateside.

Yea, rather it is the 3rd or 4th Tuesday doesn't really matter. I do hope the Amazon date is correct, but I do expect they just randomly picked a Tuesday as I don't see any reason for Yen Press to change their current schedule.

I will be glad when I get an email that OH Vol 11 is on the way. So I can find out what happens with Yuuto and the gang.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/02/13 10:11 PM

Volume 10 was an orgy of battle and plot development... maybe this one will be an orgy of pantsu.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/02/13 11:22 PM

Well that's typical. Volume 11 of OH just came out in Japan and it's being released in January. Meanwhile Blood Lad is up to 9 volumes in Japan and the next volume isn't coming out here until February even though we're 3 volumes behind TT^TT
Posted by: GuilewasNK

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/03/13 12:41 PM

Just picked up Amazing Agent Luna Omnibus last week.
Posted by: ninjachad

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/05/13 03:30 PM

Finished Fairy Tail Vol. 24, and going to start Vol. 25 a little later. Also, just got Vols. 26-27 in the mail today. Ahh, I think it's fantastic how Kodansha Comics are releasing in volume a month now. smile

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/05/13 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ninjachad
Finished Fairy Tail Vol. 24, and going to start Vol. 25 a little later. Also, just got Vols. 26-27 in the mail today. Ahh, I think it's fantastic how Kodansha Comics are releasing in volume a month now. smile

Well, they were massively behind and they had to do something to prevent people from reading the scanlation instead. It's still gonna be a year before we've caught up even at the pace they're releasing them now.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/05/13 09:38 PM

Well, they were massively behind and they had to do something to prevent people from reading the scanlation instead. It's still gonna be a year before we've caught up even at the pace they're releasing them now.

Ah, true. Still glad that it's happening though.
Posted by: No Comment

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/10/13 05:49 PM

Read 3 volumes of Dawn Of The Arcana. Right now it's decent, but I am confident it will get better. Thankfully, I do have 2 more volumes lying around.
Posted by: Manhiem

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/24/13 12:05 AM

Just finished reading the main story line for Sailor Moon. I have the two short story volumes on order. They must have put in a LOT of filler to stretch the story line to 200 anime episodes.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/27/13 03:02 PM

Finished reading volume 1 of Sankarea and I really love it. IT ended on cliffhanger and I can't wait for volume 2 to be released.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/06/13 09:20 PM

I finished Blue Exorcist Vol. 2 last night. I wasn't sure if I was going to regret blind-buying the two TRSI Bundles that were up a few weeks ago, but I'm glad I did. It's so good! And the artwork is fantastic and really intricate.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/09/13 02:54 AM

Omamori Himari is set to end September 9. So, there's going to be 12 volumes altogether.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/09/13 11:39 AM

Omamori Himari is set to end September 9. So, there's going to be 12 volumes altogether.

Oh? So we won't get Vol 12 till more then likely mid 2014. What a sad day that will be.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/09/13 04:03 PM

Oh? So we won't get Vol 12 till more then likely mid 2014. What a sad day that will be.

Since it's the last volume, it'll most likely come out much sooner than that. Black God's final volume (19) came out not so long ago and there was only a 3 month wait from vol. 18's release. Usually the volumes came out every 6 months for that title.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/10/13 12:53 AM

Don't be sad... it's a happy day. Maybe after all the support that's been shown for the manga, somebody will license the anime. And fret not, I'm sure Milan Matra will keep busy.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/10/13 10:57 PM

Reading this really weird late 80s/early 90s shojo manga called Moon Child by Reiko Shizimu. I'm only four volumes in, and it already has space mermaids, New York life, the late 20th century dance scene, an impending nuclear apocolypse, and tons of homoerotic underovertones for the fangirls (It's done with a pretty sly sense of humor though, so I'm okay with it). Definitely looking forward to reading more.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/20/13 11:34 AM

I just picked back up Berserk and I'm on volume 19. I had previously stopped around volume 13. Right around the time the golden age arc ended. I couldn't find a copy of volume 32 anywhere for a decent price, so I didn't want to keep going. But, now that I have a copy of 32, I started it up again. So far, it has got to be one of if not my favorite manga series.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/10/13 08:24 PM

Currently devouring Tsutomu Nihei's Blame! from my library. I really wanted to read Biomega and Knights of Sidonia, but I figured since all of his works supposedly take place in the same universe I'd be better off just reading them all.

It certainly is a weird experience. Dialogue is really sparse and most chapters follow the formula of 1. Protagonist tries to help someone 2. That someone dies 3. LOTS OF STUFF COMES CRASHING DOWN! But I'm still enjoying it regardless. It reminds me of Texhnolyze, and that's one of my favorite shows so I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/11/13 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: No Comment
Currently devouring Tsutomu Nihei's Blame! from my library. I really wanted to read Biomega and Knights of Sidonia, but I figured since all of his works supposedly take place in the same universe I'd be better off just reading them all.

It certainly is a weird experience. Dialogue is really sparse and most chapters follow the formula of 1. Protagonist tries to help someone 2. That someone dies 3. LOTS OF STUFF COMES CRASHING DOWN! But I'm still enjoying it regardless. It reminds me of Texhnolyze, and that's one of my favorite shows so I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

I love Tsutomu Nihei's manga and I'm hoping we'll be getting the Knights of Sidonia anime someday. By the way, since you're into Nihei you should probably be into Q Hayashida's Dorohedoro as well (that is if you're not reading it already grin )

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/12/13 09:53 AM

By the way, since you're into Nihei you should probably be into Q Hayashida's Dorohedoro as well (that is if you're not reading it already grin )
It's on my Want To Read List, which may be just as if not more inefficient than my Want To Watch List. grin

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/01/13 12:55 AM

Decided to read Monster Musume last night to see what the hullabaloo was all about. Fairly cute, the plot was a little thin but not as non-existent as I was afraid it was going to be. And read Love In Hell tonight. Comparing the 2, Love In Hell was way more ecchi than Monster Musume. Both had varying states of female nudity, but LIH had male nudity. And the part where the MC pulls on Koyori's horns (1st chapter) was more suggestive than the popsicle scene in MM. Either way I'll probably continue to get both series.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/01/13 10:01 PM

Just read Monster Musume and I enjoyed it. I love Papi.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/13 06:50 PM

Recently finished...
-Sexy Voice And Robo. It was really awesome in an imaginative and weird way, but like so much cool stuff it was cut short so it didn't have an ending
-Assorted works of Yoshihiro Tatsumi (A Drifting Life, Push-Man, Abandon In The Old Tokyo, Goodbye, Fallen Words). Most of his work is stuff from the 70s that are really dark and unlike most manga out there, his newer stuff is likewise.
-Appleseed. The artwork was fantastic, but the story felt unnecessarily complicated and at times really boring. It was only four volumes long, but went with standalone stories instead of one large arc (I'm pretty sure it was cancelled/cut short so I guess that's not entirely the author's fault). The vast cyberpunk cityscapes and erotic muscular women were cool to look at, but it became quite a slog finishing it. I've seen the traditionally animated OVA from the 90s and enjoyed it more even though it barely followed the manga's story. I'm curious if the CG adaptations stick to the manga or go their own way also.

I've been chugging through Banana Fish, pretty much the most seineny shoujo title I've ever read (thankfully my library even has the insanely OOP volumes). I also read volume 11 of Dawn Of The Arcana, a series I'm not really sure why I'm still reading. It had gotten to the point where I was basically speedreading volumes because 1. I was hoping I would absorb less of it and not be able to register that I was not enjoying what I was reading and 2. The dialogue/art is very simple. I was actually genuinely surprised by and enjoyed the direction that the story took in volume 11 for the first time since probably volume 3 or 4. Of course, volume 12 doesn't come out UNTIL APRIL so so much for things finally becoming interesting.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/03/13 08:41 PM

I loved Banana Fish, but the ending was just so heart breaking. I don't think any manga has ever made me cry as much as that one did. I think the closest I've gotten was the ending to Pita-Ten and that only lasted for a few seconds. Still get a little choked up about it [Banana Fish cry ]

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/11/13 12:41 AM

Senran Kagura: Skirting Shadows

Alright I really enjoyed this first volume. Before this I had only ever seen the anime. If you have seen the anime it does have some stuff in common, but the anime does stray from the manga's version. We get a beach visit, so good to see that being covered so early.

Volume 1 ends on a cliffhanger and has me looking forward to the next release.

In case anyone is wondering my personal favorites are;
Good Ninja: Asuka
Evil Ninja: Yomi

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/11/13 11:06 AM

Senran Kagura: Skirting Shadows

Alright I really enjoyed this first volume. Before this I had only ever seen the anime. If you have seen the anime it does have some stuff in common, but the anime does stray from the manga's version. We get a beach visit, so good to see that being covered so early.

Volume 1 ends on a cliffhanger and has me looking forward to the next release.

In case anyone is wondering my personal favorites are;
Good Ninja: Asuka
Evil Ninja: Yomi
You know… there's an Asuka Damage Version figure up for preorder in the adult section?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/11/13 11:10 AM

You know… there's an Asuka Damage Version figure up for preorder in the adult section?

I've seen it, very tempting.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/11/13 12:50 PM

You know… it's a partial cast-off?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/11/13 12:58 PM

You know… it's a partial cast-off?

Yea, I've seen uncensored images of it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/15/13 06:44 PM

The past month or so I've read:

Attack on Titan Volumes 1-3, not much is different from the anime, I can't wait to get up to new material.

Sankarea Volume 3, stuff is starting to get interesting with the arrival of a new character.

Is This a Zombie Volume 6, I love that this is different from the anime version. Since they announced that the manga was ending, I can't wait to see how it all ends.

No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular Volume 1, it's just as funny as the anime. You just have to feel so sorry for her, but at the same time you find it funny.

I'm now up to volume 23 of Berserk, this is still my favorite manga series. I love it. I'm taking my time with it, because I don't want to catch up to fast and then have to wait a very longs time for any new chapters.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/16/13 12:18 PM

I'm in the early volumes of Eden: It's An Endless World! The artwork is Akira/Appleseed levels of detail and the story is pretty good so far. The author's comments at the end of volume 1 made it sound like is was closely inspired by Neon Genesis Evangelion, so I'm interested to see where it will go. And I finished Banana Fish about a week ago; my reaction was... similar to Sevi's frown.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/16/13 06:57 PM

Just finished volume 1 of Love in Hell and I loved it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/21/13 11:24 PM

I keep forgetting to write a review for this, but I finished reading Black Bard a while ago. Very cute overall. It started off episodic but smoothed into the plot over time. There were a few spelling/ grammar issues possibly because it's a small publisher. I would recommend it to fans of cutesy but slightly dark fantasy like Jing: King of Bandits, March Story, Shoulder a Coffin Kuro, or the works of Kaori Yuki.
Posted by: stargates

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/23/13 06:59 AM

Yotsuba&! 12 (e-book). One series that i like to look forward to each new vol. Didn't think that i would enjoy it so much. Even got my niece hooked.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/23/13 08:18 PM

Finished Hellsing yesterday and it was better than I could've anticipated. Despite the sudden ending, the artwork was so brilliant and bizarre, featuring tons of violence and super sexy people on both ends of the gender spectrum. Can't wait for all the OVAs to be released over here.

Parasyte shot up to the top of my to read list after it was announced that it was getting an anime adaptation (my dream came true!). So far, it's a great gory manga with cool and realistic art that has some classic 90s manga vibes to it.

Eden: It's An Endless World has also surpassed my expectations. Seven volumes in, it seems like the author is writing/drawing a series of intense and moving character studies that happens to have a post apocalyptic setting featuring mechas and ultra-gore, which can be really fascinating. And it's not like the author is skipping out on the art because he's focusing on the characters; it is top notch. I'm really hoping Dark Horse reprints some of the super OOP volumes so I can begin collecting the series instead of getting it through my library. I really recommend it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/24/13 10:24 PM

Parasyte shot up to the top of my to read list after it was announced that it was getting an anime adaptation (my dream came true!). So far, it's a great gory manga with cool and realistic art that has some classic 90s manga vibes to it.

I wonder why I hadn't heard about this. Parasyte is an awesome series.
Oh and looking at the list you linked to, there isn't an anime for MPD Psycho but there is a live action mini-series that was directed by Takahashi Miike.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/25/13 11:30 AM

I wonder why I hadn't heard about this. Parasyte is an awesome series.
Oh and looking at the list you linked to, there isn't an anime for MPD Psycho but there is a live action mini-series that was directed by Takahashi Miike.
Ooh, I knew there was a live action series of it, but I did not know insane Miike was behind it. I definitely have to check that out.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/30/13 09:29 PM

I'm up to volume 7 of Attack on titan and I can say that the anime is adapted very well. I can't wait for Monday because volume 9 will ship out and that whole new material that didn't make it into the anime as of now.

I also read A Centaur's Life volume 1.
Posted by: Miroyasha

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/01/13 05:56 PM

I finished up Spice and Wolf volume 8.

It was good but very confusing with how it went. At first it was about material season 1 of the anime left out and then when that arc was finished up it started on important content that i know from reading the novels comes after season 2 of the anime. So i figured the author of the manga just wasn't going to adapt season 2 of the anime in the manga. But then out of no where just as that content arc came to an end, it then started up on the content that is season 2 of the anime!

Confused about all i just said?

Yeah, i am too. Haha crazy

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/10/13 05:35 PM

Finished Parasyte. It was cool how the story transformed. It started off as like a school comedy, then it became a fighting show, and finally had some crazy, 1v1 showdown that was like the final battle in Arnold Schwarzenegger's Predator (I think I've lost track of how many times I've seen that film), which earned some major respect in my book. Unique art throughout, and the story never got old. Pretty great.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/11/13 01:19 PM

Just caught up with the Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches manga on Crunchyroll. It's surprisingly really good and funny! And has a lot of twists. It looks like it could be ending soon (could probably end in a chapter or two), but hopefully that's not the case. I'd really like to see more. There was a promotional video made for it a few months back, but no anime was actually announced. Hopefully there will be, I'd love to see that!

I might try Fort of Apocalypse next.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/12/13 04:06 PM

Finished up Attack on Titan volume 9 and it's getting really interesting. I can't wait for volume 10.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/30/13 03:59 AM

Just read volume 1 of Bunny Drop and it's just as cute as the anime.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/30/13 12:33 PM

Really? Cuz the anime was pretty d??? cute.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/30/13 01:18 PM

Really? Cuz the anime was pretty d??? cute.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it as much as the anime. Rin is still very cute.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/30/13 02:56 PM

Finished reading the last volume (2 of 2) of Sickness Unto Death last night. It's the story of a college psychology major who moves in with and falls in love with a girl with a mysterious psychological illness. The author threw in some major plot twists in the second volume and also ramped up the number of sex scenes (which were tastefully done). If you're into Psychology/ Philosophy and/or the Soren Kierkegaard book of the same name I'd highly recommend this series.

Also read Wolfsmund volume 1. The story is set in the country which will become Switzerland during the period when it was under the rule of the Austrian Hapsburg empire.
Most of the plot is centered around various groups of rebels who are trying to flee the 3 cantons though a guard point in the Alps called Wolfsmund or Wolfs Maw by the natives.
At this point there are only 3 main characters: the Hapsburg Duke who controls the area, the woman who runs an inn beside Wolfsmund, and Wolfram the man who guards Wolfsmund and is rumored to be the devil's child born of a woman and a wolf. It's incredibly violent and has the potential of becoming somewhat formulaic but so far is fairly interesting.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/31/13 07:31 PM

Finished Wolfsmund volume 2 and it definitely broke the formula of the first volume. They added a couple of sex scenes and general nudity as well. The last chapter in particular is not for the faint of heart as it involves an underaged girl in an uncomfortable situation. (Not rape, but close enough that it might squick some people out.) The Inn Keeper character from the first volume is on the cover and the position she's in is semi-spoilerish of the ending. Plus the only non-main character who lived through volume 1 returns at the very end.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/07/14 01:28 AM

I've read up to volume 4 of Bunny Drop, I'm about to start where it does the 10 year time skip.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/07/14 03:36 PM

I've read up to volume 4 of Bunny Drop, I'm about to start where it does the 10 year time skip.

The time skip happens in volume 5. So, a little bit less than half way through the series.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/07/14 06:44 PM

Biomega
Nihei's art is still brilliant, but the story didn't grip me nearly as much as Blame. It felt like a big dumb action movie instead of vast, atmospheric, and gothic. The 2nd half of the series was much better than the first, but it still didn't entirely change my opinion on it. I have 5 volumes of Knights Of Sidonia to read so I'm hoping that will turn out better. It seems to be really different than both Blame and Biomega, so I'm hoping that'll help it.

Offered
Gilgamesh, Hitler's granddaughter, Agartha, nudist colonies, ludicrous sex, and bull decapitation. How can you go wrong?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/07/14 07:53 PM

Biomega
Nihei's art is still brilliant, but the story didn't grip me nearly as much as Blame. It felt like a big dumb action movie instead of vast, atmospheric, and gothic. The 2nd half of the series was much better than the first, but it still didn't entirely change my opinion on it. I have 5 volumes of Knights Of Sidonia to read so I'm hoping that will turn out better. It seems to be really different than both Blame and Biomega, so I'm hoping that'll help it.

I probably liked Biomega slightly more than Blame. Not so much that I liked the story more as that I think Viz did a better job translating than Tokyopop did. Biomega relied more on dialogue and Blame was less dialogue and more sound effects. If the sound effects had been translated as it went along instead of having to flip to the back of the book every 3 panels or so there's no doubt Blame would've been hands down better.

The only thing Knights of Sidonia has in common with Biomega is that they both have talking bear characters.

--ps> I assume when you read Blame you read the follow up volume Noise

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/15/14 03:00 PM

Just read volume 4 of Sankarea and I really like this series. I'm very interested to see where it goes.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/22/14 04:24 AM

Just finished volume 5 of Bunny Drop and I'm halfway done with volume 6.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/27/14 02:48 PM

Omamori Himari Volume 11

Well what a volume this one was, we get the ending to the Nine Tails battle and a set up for the final volume. Very much looking forward to the final volume and see how it ends with Yuuto and his harem. It is set to come out July 2014.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/30/14 11:45 PM

Monster Musume Volume 2

Kurusu adds to his harem of monster girls and undergoes a lot of torment from the girls in this volume. At this rate he's going to need a bigger house.

I'm patiently awaiting the anime adaption. (Whenever that is)

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/31/14 12:59 AM

Monster Musume Volume 2

Kurusu adds to his harem of monster girls and undergoes a lot of torment from the girls in this volume. At this rate he's going to need a bigger house.

There are a lot more girls that show up. Pretty much all end up in the harem, but only 2 more end up living with him (so far). 4 more show up in Chapter 11 alone.
I'll put up a spoiler just in case (spoiler covers up to chapter 21):
Click to reveal..

Dopple- a doppelganger (Chpt.11)
Manako- a cyclops (Chpt. 11)
Tionishia -an ogre (")
Zombina- a zombie (")
Rachnera Arachnera - an Aracnea/ spider-woman (Chpt.14) [moves in with him]
Polt- a Kobold/wolf-girl (Chpt.17)
Draco- a Dragonewt/ dragon (Chpt.19) Originally thought to be male; possibly has lesbian feelings towards Miia
Kii- a dryad (Chpt. 20)
Lilith- a devil (Chpt.21) [moves in with him unofficially/ is taken in by Rachnera as a pet]

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/31/14 07:33 PM

Monster Musume Volume 2

There are a lot more girls that show up. Pretty much all end up in the harem, but only 2 more end up living with him (so far). 4 more show up in Chapter 11 alone.
I'll put up a spoiler just in case (spoiler covers up to chapter 21):
Click to reveal..

Dopple- a doppelganger (Chpt.11)
Manako- a cyclops (Chpt. 11)
Tionishia -an ogre (")
Zombina- a zombie (")
Rachnera Arachnera - an Aracnea/ spider-woman (Chpt.14) [moves in with him]
Polt- a Kobold/wolf-girl (Chpt.17)
Draco- a Dragonewt/ dragon (Chpt.19) Originally thought to be male; possibly has lesbian feelings towards Miia
Kii- a dryad (Chpt. 20)
Lilith- a devil (Chpt.21) [moves in with him unofficially/ is taken in by Rachnera as a pet]

Wow, that's quite a selection of monster girls he has to choose from. It's probably a good thing that only 2 of them move in or else I don't think he's survive.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 01/31/14 07:36 PM

Just read volume 10 of Attack on Titan and things got very real very fast. We finally learn the identities of the Armored Titan and the Colossal Titan. The final chapter in this volume set up what could be a very action packed volume 11.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/01/14 12:43 AM

Reading Omamori Himari volume 11. I love the subtle humor. I'm sure that a lot of goes over my head, or is lost (on me) in translation; but what I do catch, is funny. A joke's punch line might not happen for over several pages, which makes it even funnier.
Posted by: Miroyasha

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/02/14 07:50 PM

The Sacred Blacksmith Volume 1

I must say i was iffy about buying this. While Ive seen the anime a few years ago and enjoyed it, i was kinda on the fence about following the manga for it. Well needless to say in the end, i was very happy with the purchase! smile

The actual size of the book is a good size bigger then your average manga which shocked me. shocked The quality was all around well done and the story itself was a good read. (And refresher since as i said earlier its been a good 3 years or so since i saw the show.) They also put in some cool bonus content at the end which was fun to read.

Next order i place i will for sure be ordering all the other parts that are currently out. grin

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/02/14 08:46 PM

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders

The plot is a lot more repetitive than the previous two parts, but its art is more awesome and it has a good sense of humor. Most of it is gleefully over the top and manly. While it may not be feasible to own the entire series*, I'm definitely gonna have to buy some import artbooks and just relish in the epic style.

*Parts 1-3 is 28 volumes. Part 3 is the only one that's been licensed in America and some of it is OOP. Too much shelf space anyway, thank goodness for my library having it all

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/04/14 02:46 AM

Just read volume 2 of Love in Hell and I really enjoy this series. I'm sad that it ends with volume 3. I love the settings and how everything works in Hell. Hopefully volume 3 at least ends it well.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/04/14 01:26 PM

Just finished Fort of Apocalype on Crunchyroll. If High School of the Dead and Deadman Wonderland had a baby, I think it would turn out something like this. Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to see what the guys in Cell 4 do next. smile

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/04/14 09:54 PM

Just finished Fort of Apocalype on Crunchyroll. If High School of the Dead and Deadman Wonderland had a baby, I think it would turn out something like this. Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far. Can't wait to see what the guys in Cell 4 do next. smile
Your description makes it sound pretty cool to me.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/04/14 09:55 PM

I just finished Omamori Himari 11. I am sooo chompin' at the bit for 12 now! That was awesome!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/04/14 09:58 PM

Upon finishing Omamori Himari 11, I started the Highschool Of The Dead Full Color Graphic Novel Omnibus 1.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/05/14 01:33 PM

Upon finishing Omamori Himari 11, I started the Highschool Of The Dead Full Color Graphic Novel Omnibus 1.

I look forward to your reaction to the stuff that happens in Omnibus 2.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/06/14 01:31 PM

From The new World Vol 1

Well I finished up the first volume today. There is differences between how the manga plays out and the anime. The manga is more graphic both in the violence and ecchi departments with of course a heavy focus on the yuri romance between Saki Watanabe and Maria Akizuki. Volume 1 ends with a huge foreshadowing that also takes place in the anime and will become important later on if you haven't watched the anime before reading the manga.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/08/14 07:58 PM

I just finished up Attack on Titan Volume 11 and it opens up a lot more questions. I can't wait for volume 12 in April.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/08/14 11:10 PM

Just finished up Omamori Himari Volume 11 and things are getting intense. I can't wait for the final volume.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/09/14 11:43 AM

Just finished up Omamori Himari Volume 11 and things are getting intense. I can't wait for the final volume.
I know I know! Things have gotten so crazy, that I haven't even noticed the ecchi… oh who am I kidding? I loved the ecchi, but you're so right; Omahima is going like a milliion miles an hour!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/09/14 01:05 PM

I know I know! Things have gotten so crazy, that I haven't even noticed the ecchi… oh who am I kidding? I loved the ecchi, but you're so right; Omahima is going like a milliion miles an hour!

Yea, it was a great volume. I read it all the way through the day it came in and only took a break to eat lunch. Very interested to see how it comes to an end in comparison to the anime.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/09/14 03:33 PM

I finally caught up with the Fairy Tail manga through Crunchyroll. Things are starting to take a darker turn in the Tartarus arc.

Click to reveal..
Hiro Mashima, what are you doing to my favorite characters?! cry

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/09/14 05:45 PM

Just read No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular Volume 2 and having watched the anime, I can hear the voices in my head while reading it and that just makes it all the more enjoyable. I can't wait for the anime to be released and for the manga to get to the stuff that wasn't in the anime.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/09/14 11:27 PM

Yea, it was a great volume. I read it all the way through the day it came in and only took a break to eat lunch. Very interested to see how it comes to an end in comparison to the anime.
It is truly lamentable, that we never got the anime stateside.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/10/14 02:25 AM

I'm still holding onto a very small hope that we may still get it. I mean Funimation just licensed Ben-To and it was on the Anime Licensing Survey that held in 2012. Omamori Himari was also on that list. So, we may still see it, but more than likely as a sub only release.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/10/14 11:22 PM

Sub only is better than not at all. kiku's right there with you, hopin' real hard.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/10/14 11:34 PM

I know how you feel. Still sad that we haven't gotten the anime for 07-Ghost, Uraboku, and Lament of the Lamb. And yes I know the last one was just an OAV with 4 episodes, but I still want it.
By the way, I think you'd like the Lament of the Lamb manga, kiku wink

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/10/14 11:47 PM

Looks like pretty dark vampire material. I keep my manga habit in check. For the most part, I limit myself to one series at a time; and I only read occasionally. I recently justified ordering Dragonar Academy 1 & 2, because Omamori Himari is coming to a close.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/12/14 10:35 AM

Crying Freeman. It's about a guy that kills a lot of people. Usually with knives. Usually held by his feet. High class stuff.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/17/14 12:31 AM

Just finished up Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossoms Pink. It's basically a book of one-shot stories mixed in with the main story of Nana and Hitomi. The main draw here is the Nana and Hitomi story and while some of the one-shot stories are a bit weaker than the others, I really did enjoy the main story quite a bit. All of the stories take place in the same setting and some of the other characters do appear in the main story. The art was overall pretty nice and the stories were well written. Besides one of the stories that involved a ghost, the stories felt like they could actually be real. As they fell like they were based in reality. My copy of the book did have some translation mistakes and a couple of spelling errors though. Overall I'd say if this type of story interests you, you should pick it up.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/17/14 11:37 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I will pick it up soon.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/17/14 07:23 PM

Finished Wolfsmund vol. 3. The Rebellion against the Habsburg Empire really takes off in this volume so the violence level is about as high as ever. William Tell's son Walter has officially become one of the main cast members. And he finds out what happened to the Inn Keeper in this volume. They've also added a new female cast member named Hilde who's a pretty adept fighter. No sex or nudity in this volume (unlike volume 2). I'm assuming something major is gonna go down in vol. 4. Especially since Wolfram is still alive.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/17/14 10:01 PM

Finished up volume 7 of Bunny Drop and things are starting to come to a close. I think I see where this may end up, but I'll have to wait and see if I'm right.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/25/14 03:50 PM

Just started Strike Witches - Maidens In The Sky

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/27/14 01:48 AM

Finished up volume 8 of Bunny Drop and with only one volume left, I wonder how everything will end up.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 02/27/14 11:39 AM

Just started Strike Witches - Maidens In The Sky
This is quite different from the anime… but I like it. The fanservice is toned down so far, and the charcter designs are different. Even the Striker Units are a bit different. For example, they have landing gears in Maidens In The Sky. There was even a "two-seater" called the Red Dragonfly that wasn't in the anime. The change in art style is jarring at first, but it grows on you right away, expecially Yoshika. I was worried that this would simply a direct adaptation of the anime, which can make for tired material; but it's more than that. It's it's own animal. I'm actually assuming that the manga predates the anime. I'm now very much looking forward to the rest of the upcoming Strike Witches manga.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/01/14 08:48 PM

Just finished the final volume of Bunny Drop and while I've been thinking for a few volumes now that this was where it would end up, I didn't see the twist that they were not related coming. In the end I really had fun with this series and I'm looking forward to the extra volume that's coming out.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/03/14 10:48 AM

Just read volume 5 of Sankarea and stuff is starting to go down. All of the zombies are starting to lose their minds, but Rea regained control for now. Don't know if Bub will be so lucky or not. I can't wait for the next volume and hopefully a season 2 of the anime.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/09/14 05:47 PM

Dragonar Academy Volume 1

Um… OK… I thought that I would be reading this in short bursts on my "reading chair", but from the moment I picked it up; I couldn't put it down! I wrapped up on the couch under a thick quilt and read it in one sitting. I simply adore this manga! This is going to be a grueling wait for volume 2. I don't know if I can make it! BTW has anyone checked out RAN's other manga Maid War Chronicle? If so, do they think that I might like it as well. It looks a little harder to come by. I believe there's only two volumes...

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/09/14 07:37 PM

Dragonar Academy Volume 1

Um… OK… I thought that I would be reading this in short bursts on my "reading chair", but from the moment I picked it up; I couldn't put it down! I wrapped up on the couch under a thick quilt and read it in one sitting. I simply adore this manga! This is going to be a grueling wait for volume 2. I don't know if I can make it! BTW has anyone checked out RAN's other manga Maid War Chronicle? If so, do they think that I might like it as well. It looks a little harder to come by. I believe there's only two volumes...

I read Maid War Chronicle. It was cute. But there's not much point in tracking it down. Del Rey only published 2 volumes, but it's actually a 9 volume series. So there's pretty much no legal way to get the entire series in English.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/09/14 08:50 PM

This is the case with so many manga and anime series. Qwaser Of Stigmata is another series, that I read that only went for two volumes; although I really enjoyed it. Maybe RANsama's Maid War Chronicles might warrant a look, despite being only two volumes? Is Maid War Chronicles as fanservice-laden as Dragonar Academy?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/09/14 09:23 PM

This is the case with so many manga and anime series. Qwaser Of Stigmata is another series, that I read that only went for two volumes; although I really enjoyed it. Maybe RANsama's Maid War Chronicles might warrant a look, despite being only two volumes? Is Maid War Chronicles as fanservice-laden as Dragonar Academy?

Not from what I remember. Although it's been a while since I read it. Mostly just cute girls in armor. Del Rey/ Kodansha put out a similar series called Ninja Girls which had a lot more fanservice. (Both series are about a boy prince exiled from his country and trying to rebuild his kingdom with a group of female bodyguards.)

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/10/14 07:13 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback sevi.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/16/14 08:44 PM

Read volume 7 of Is This a Zombie and we get to see the queen of Villiers near the end of chapter 39, who was hinted at in the final episode of Is This a Zombie: of the Dead, and she does something to Ayumu. I can't wait for the next volume to see what happens after that cliffhanger.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/18/14 10:18 PM

Just finished up Dragonar Academy Volume 1 and like Kiku I didn't plan on reading it all at once, but I couldn't help myself. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for volume 2. Also I can't wait for the anime that's going to start airing in April.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/19/14 12:31 AM

Just finished up Dragonar Academy Volume 1 and like Kiku I didn't plan on reading it all at once, but I couldn't help myself. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for volume 2. Also I can't wait for the anime that's going to start airing in April.
It was just so addictive. I felt like I had just picked it up… and I was done all of a sudden. The wait for volume 2 is on… but the wait for volume three is even longer!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/19/14 03:42 PM

Finished reading Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service vol.12 last night. (Only one volume left until I have to play the waiting game again cry )
There were 3 stories broken up between 8 chapters. The first had the KCDS helping a debt collector find a man who she believed had been replaced by an imposter. This lead them to finding an online gaming community where men were trading their lives with others in order to repay their debt by earning online money. Involved a few deaths and had a scene where someone's face got cut off. And very weird virtual sex.
The second story was about a host club girl who was able to astral project. She meets up with a guy who's a comedian in training that gets paid to live in houses and apartments where people have died or committed suicide. They both get caught up with the famous comedian the guy had been studying under through his shady house flipping scams.
The last storyline had the KCDS get involved with a doll maker and the little sister sex doll he made. A doll that was very popular with doll collectors. There was a lot of nudity in this one. But it was also touching in a way.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/26/14 03:24 PM

Started reading Attack on Titan: Junior High last night. And man is it hysterical. It's definitely hard to see Titans the same way after seeing Eren steal a giant pair of panties from one. Or be pulled out of another Titan's mouth covered in Chinese food. And Armin's grandfather is awesome. "Armin, your psychopath friends are here to see you."

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 03/27/14 11:21 PM

Started reading Attack on Titan: Junior High last night. And man is it hysterical. It's definitely hard to see Titans the same way after seeing Eren steal a giant pair of panties from one. Or be pulled out of another Titan's mouth covered in Chinese food. And Armin's grandfather is awesome. "Armin, your psychopath friends are here to see you."

I've been reading this too. It's fun to see characters you know, but in a different comedic setting. It's not something I could read from cover to cover, but I do enjoy reading a chapter or two whenever I find the time.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/07/14 12:00 AM

Strike Witches - Maidens In The Sky Volume 2

Just as charming and enjoyable as the first volume. Kanesada was a riot! Now that I'm done with Maidens In The Sky, I'm rabidly looking forward to The Fuso Sea Incedent and The Sky That Connects Us. I still haven't heard a peep about One Winged Witches yet though.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/07/14 12:20 AM

Just as charming and enjoyable as the first volume. Kanesada was a riot! Now that I'm done with Maidens In The Sky, I'm rabidly looking forward to The Fuso Sea Incedent and The Sky That Connects Us. I still haven't heard a peep about One Winged Witches yet though.

Well look at you. Running through manga series now, with Omamori Himari, Strike Witches and Dragonar Academy.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/07/14 02:39 AM

Well look at you. Running through manga series now, with Omamori Himari, Strike Witches and Dragonar Academy.
That's all… I can stop whenever I want! Oh, and you forgot to mention No matter how I look at it, it's all you guys' fault I'm not popular. Oh d?????.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/17/14 06:28 PM

I just the first two volumes of "No matter how I look at it, it's all you guys' fault I'm not popular." I fall in love with Tomoko a little more with each turn of the page. I can't wait until the next volume. BTW the translator's notes was a nice touch.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/18/14 07:57 PM

It's felt like I've been in a manga slump since the near year, and then suddenly this week I end up finished a bunch of them. All but one were one shots, so that definitely made it easier. It's gotten to the point where there's like 15 different longer manga I want to blaze through once summer arrives, not to mention my backlog which is stack as high as my bed now. I ended up reading, Onwards Towards Our Noble Deaths, Red Snow, A Single Match, Red Colored Elegy, Ohikkoshi, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable.

Onwards Towards Our Noble Deaths is an autobiographical war manga from the author of GeGeGe No Kitaro (basically the first yokai manga). It was pretty good. Difficult to tell the characters apart from one another because of the art style, but you can tell it's based in real life because some of the stuff that happens in there is too ridiculous to make up and some really haunting words are said.

Red Snow and A Single Match didn't really grab my attention. There was nothing particularly wrong with either, but the stories ranged from average to boring and never really caught my attention

Red Colored Elegy was great. It's this doomed romance story told in a pretty abstract art/pacing style. It ends abruptly, but it left me with goosebumps. I recommend it.

Ohikkoshi is a one shot by the author of Blade Of The Immortal (this is on my long series for the summer list). Great art and really funny. The main story treads the same ground as Inio Asano's Solanin though, so I wasn't entirely impressed. This one shorter piece at the end of the book about a female mangaka and her crazy adventures was absolutely insane.

JJBA Part 4 felt like a bit of a step down from Part 3. It abandons the overarching plot of the first 3 arcs, and while it's still good in it's own right, it's hard to top a villain like Dio. Initially the characters are more difficult to care about, but they slowly grow on you over time. If you want to be cynical, you could just say the mangaka was cashing in on the shonen delinquent manga trend that was big at the time, but I think he puts enough effort and creativity into it to prove otherwise. Art is still great, if not better than the last part. I can slowly see the path being paved to Part 7, where everyone looks straight out of a fashion magazine. I can still dream that another part besides Part 3 would be licensed.

I've also read 3 volumes of Knights Of Sidonia, which I already like a lot more than Biomega. Need to read more of it before I say anything, though.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/25/14 07:52 PM

Just finished up Nisekoi Volume 1

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/27/14 10:12 PM

Jiro Taniguchi's Quest For The Missing Girl. Great pulpy story with an exciting ending. The artist seems to have a thing for mountaineering/arctic environments, really interesting.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 04/28/14 03:54 PM

Breathe Deeply by Doton Yamazaki (which is actually a pen name for a husband and wife duo of mangaka). It's an unconventional love triangle story where two men enter into competing fields of science (medicine and chemical engineering) and try to improve the heart transplant process as inspired by the girl they had both loved and lost in their childhood. The big twist at the end was fairly obvious and personally I felt the female love interest was a little lacking in characterization compared to the rest of the characters. But overall it was a satisfying, if different, manga.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/03/14 11:10 PM

First 3 volumes of Flowers Of Evil

If you guys never hear from me again, it's probably because I said that I like the anime's art style better than the manga's too loudly. For the manga, it's definitely a case of the artwork being too lighthearted to match the story. I guess the argument that the contrast in plot and art makes it all the more disturbing could be made, but even then sometimes the art isn't very good. Then again, the same argument could be made for the anime. To me, the degree to which the anime's artwork went off the deep end made the themes much stronger to me, not to mention the realistic voice acting.

I'm holding off until the last chapter is released to read any further because the director said it will prove the anime was supposed to happen or something, which I sadly doubt means a second season, but I'm still waiting just to be safe.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 05/16/14 12:48 PM

Reading No matter how I look at it, it's you guys' fault I'm not popular. (Watamote) It's just as charming as the first two volumes. I can't wait for the next two volumes and the anime.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/16/14 12:13 AM

I just read volume 3 of Monster Musume and it just keeps getting better. I can't wait for the next volume. I also can't wait for the inevitable anime adaption to come out. They haven't announced anything yet, but with how popular it is, I'm sure one will come within the next couple of years.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/18/14 03:49 AM

I just finished up Love In Hell volume 3. I'm sad that it's over, but it just wrapped up everything perfectly. I would have loved more, but what is here is really good. I can't wait to see what he does next.
Posted by: GuilewasNK

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/24/14 01:05 PM

Day of Revolution

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/25/14 03:13 PM

Strike Witches - The Sky That Connects Us

Pure win, a must for any Strike Witches fan. The art is awesome! The story holds relevence as a bridge between seasons 1 and 2 of the anime as well. Each segment of the story focused on a select group of characters, and was over before you knew it. I think that it would make for a great OVA to go between the seasons.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 06/29/14 10:09 PM

I just read Attack on Titan volume 12 and It just keeps on getting better and better. This volume has a big surprise in it that I didn't see coming and hints at a huge question. But, it looks like the next volume will answer that question.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/13/14 06:24 PM

Finished reading Moto Hagio's Heart of Thomas last night. It was such a beautiful, yet sad, title. The story centers around the students at an all male boarding school in the aftermath of the death of one of their classmates (Thomas) and the arrival of another student who looks just like him. Most of the students believe the death was an accident, but the main characters and the reader know it was suicide.
Overall it was an intriguing read. The artwork is obviously a tad dated, but no more so than any other series from that time period. And it is a shonen ai but the relationships between characters in general are more important than their sexuality and flow naturally and organically.
Also, the introduction/ end article gives information on the series creation and how it ended up becoming classic literature. And the history behind how creators like Hagio and the other members of the Year 24 group were credited for saving the shojo market and shaping shojo into what it is today.
Highly recommended for anyone who is into slice of life series or shojo series in general even if you're not generally a fan of BL/ shonen ai.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/13/14 08:40 PM

Finished reading Moto Hagio's Heart of Thomas last night. It was such a beautiful, yet sad, title. The story centers around the students at an all male boarding school in the aftermath of the death of one of their classmates (Thomas) and the arrival of another student who looks just like him. Most of the students believe the death was an accident, but the main characters and the reader know it was suicide.
Overall it was an intriguing read. The artwork is obviously a tad dated, but no more so than any other series from that time period. And it is a shonen ai but the relationships between characters in general are more important than their sexuality and flow naturally and organically.
Also, the introduction/ end article gives information on the series creation and how it ended up becoming classic literature. And the history behind how creators like Hagio and the other members of the Year 24 group were credited for saving the shojo market and shaping shojo into what it is today.
Highly recommended for anyone who is into slice of life series or shojo series in general even if you're not generally a fan of BL/ shonen ai.
Wow, I forgot about Heart Of Thomas. I was planning on buying it when it came out, but it somehow slipped off my radar. I didn't really like Hagio's other work available, A Drunken Dream And Other Stories, but HOT seems like something I'd really like.

Lately I've been reading Immortal Rain and Red River. Both are really good. Immortal Rain is technically shoujo, but the way I see it it's only because it stars a girl and the plot has romance intertwined. It feels very shonen-ish at times. Red River is straight up 90's "girl gets transported to far away land" shoujo. It makes me laugh at all the various key plot points of shoujo manga it hits, but it's a lot of fun.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/13/14 09:34 PM

I
[quote=sevi]

Lately I've been reading Immortal Rain and Red River. Both are really good. Immortal Rain is technically shoujo, but the way I see it it's only because it stars a girl and the plot has romance intertwined. It feels very shonen-ish at times. Red River is straight up 90's "girl gets transported to far away land" shoujo. It makes me laugh at all the various key plot points of shoujo manga it hits, but it's a lot of fun.

Immortal Rain was one of those early shojo series that I lost track of at one point. I was looking to get back into reading until I found out that Tokyopop only managed to release 8 of the 11 total volumes. And I have way too many unfinished series as it is.
But if you're into Red River and Immortal Rain, I highly recommend Planet Ladder (if you haven't already read it.)
Posted by: RosexRevolution

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/22/14 02:18 PM

Just read all six volumes of Demon Love Spell I liked it well enough, the interactions between the two leads are similar to the two leads in the author's other series, Ai Ore!. I don't know if I'll ever read it again, but it was a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/24/14 05:54 PM

Omamori Himari Vol 12

First off I would like to thank RightStuff for offering a Buy 3 Manga Get 1 Free coupon a few years ago that got me to give Omamori Himari a try.

Well Volume 11 ends with Himari being consumed in her inner darkness and losing it. So this volume deals with the aftermath of that. Rest of post will be SPOILERS.

We get a ton of great send off moments from a number of the other girls for the first few opening chapters. My favorite was Rinko's and I like how they tied back to it in the Himari showdown. The Yuuto/Himari segments are great in this whole volume and do a great job of going back to Yuuto's past dealing with the other girls. I really like how in volume 1 Himari was someone ruining his normal everyday nonspecial life, but now she is an important piece to it like Rinko was in volume 1. I really liked the flashback part and a fitting way to deal with the Nine Tails darkness.

Click to reveal..
When Yuuto woke up without Himari I got alittle sad, but I loved the reveal at the end with Himari saying "I'm home...Yuuto."

Omamori Himari was a fun ride and I am very glad I gave it a shot.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 07/27/14 01:40 PM

Aron's Absurd Armada

It's a weird one. It caught my eye at Barnes And Noble because I had never remotely heard of it, then I opened it and saw it was a 4-koma manga that didn't take place in a high school, which further caught my attention. Turns out it was a manwha, but I decided to give it a shot.

It sorta feels like Hetalia, but with pirates. Still is pretty funny at times. I wish there was a more even amount of guys and gals in the cast, though.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/04/14 09:49 PM

Halfway through a reread of OmaHime vol. 2. I forgot how amazing this series is. I think it's actually even more enjoyable the 2nd time.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/10/14 12:46 PM

Just wrapped up volume 5 on my reread of Omahime, in preparation for volume 12.
Posted by: Noblesse Oblige

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/10/14 05:01 PM

I'm reading volume 4 of Vinland Saga, one of my favorites. I'm also keeping up with a couple of series on Manga Box, most notably Billion Dogs which has a lot of mystery/intrigue and OUTSTANDING artwork.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/18/14 05:16 PM

Finished After School Nightmare
I decently liked it, but like a quarter of the way through I realized it was just a lesser version of Revolutionary Girl Utena right down to specific character motivations and plot points. And it likes to think it's saying something interesting about gender issues and sexuality, but they way they go about it makes it feel more gimimicky and fetishized rather than natural. The twist ending gives the whole thing an entirely different context than Utena, and it's a really good twist ending, but that doesn't help the 9 volumes you read without that extra insight.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/18/14 07:14 PM

Really. I didn't really see After School Nightmare that way. If anything it reminded me of Kaori Yuki's works or maybe Usamaru Furuya's Genkaku Picasso.
And if anything it was more about teenage identity issues in general rather than specifically just gender/sexuality issues.
Rather interesting that you just finished reading this as I started reading Black Rose Alice . Considering not many of the author's works have been brought over except for those 2 and X-Day wink .

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/18/14 08:20 PM

I should've said that I understood it was more about identity/teen issues after the twist ending, but I still had issues with the work overall.

I definitely do plan on checking out Black Rose Alice though. I thought the art in ASN was really good throughout (especially in the dreams), and it sounds like it's quite a different take on the average vampire story.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/20/14 05:51 PM

Kokoro Connect Vol. 1 - Just finished it. The anime was one of my favorite purchases last year, and the manga is a delight as well. CUTEG did a great job with the art. Though, the character design of Yui Kiriyama seems different from the anime version. She's cuter, shorter, and a blond. She has a more cheerful personality as well. I wonder which is more true to the light novel? Other than that, she still has similar traits, and fulfills the same role. Can't wait for the next volume. I know it's a slim chance, but hopefully someone (maybe Yen Press) can license the light novels.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/20/14 08:06 PM

I should've said that I understood it was more about identity/teen issues after the twist ending, but I still had issues with the work overall.

I definitely do plan on checking out Black Rose Alice though. I thought the art in ASN was really good throughout (especially in the dreams), and it sounds like it's quite a different take on the average vampire story.

Yeah, there were some flaws in the story line. But I meant that I'm pretty sure the author wasn't going for any deep meaning with the gender/sexuality stuff. Especially since the Main Characters gender was pretty much used as a running gag more than anything. The whole "She's a girl so you're a lesbian!" "No, he's a boy so you must be gay!!" thing was a dead give away. Plus Mizushiro has a pretty morbid sense of humor so it's hard to tell sometimes whether to take text situations at face value. Plus, it was a big improvement over X-Day.
As for Black Rose Alice, it shows promise and it's vampires are unique. Granted I could've done without the whole pre-requisite these vampires are different from what you know speech. And hopefully if it goes the dramatic route it's more like Lament of the Lamb or Grand Guignol Orchestra rather than Twilight :P
Posted by: Jingraves

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/20/14 11:15 PM

Sounds like Ouran Host Club meets Black Blood Brothers and then they threw in Hemlock Groves long waiting periods with the even longer speeches.
Posted by: J.E.S.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/23/14 01:56 PM

Just finished Tale of the Waning Moon.

Imma say thanks to Sevi for recommending the title to me.
I thought it was really cute and funny.
Most random and funniest part... thugs who bottom...
I could not stop laughing at that... laugh
So once again, thanks Sevi for the recommendation! smile

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/25/14 01:01 AM

@JES- No prob smile

I finished reading the final volume of Jack the Ripper: Hell Blade. There were a few interesting twists at the end and the main original storyline was tied up. However it was pretty obvious from the chapters that followed that the series was rather unceremoniously cancelled. It ended in the middle of a flashback pertaining to Holmes and Watson who turned out to actually be
Click to reveal..
Elizabeth Bathory and a werewolf named Lucien
and their rival the vampire Arsene Lupin or Saladin. Which unfortunately left loose ties in the current time of the arc and the flashback. Such a shame as the series was really starting to find it's ground at that point.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/25/14 09:44 AM

Lalala, Sevi haven't read it yet? lalala not listening. Gotta get it soon.

All of these stories have such good ideas its just most people are into main stream and don't branch out for years. Most of the branch outs seem better than most of the main stream. Kurozakuro was a great idea, but they sped it up so much to end it that it was like a back to back boss fights.

Besides all of that I'm reading Hollow Fields, just have the Omni so its 3 in 1 and I could tell you which one I am on in it. Eiken volume 4. Bakuman volume 9. And the last one I believe I am about to start Tactics.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/26/14 10:32 PM

Finished volume 11 of Omahime, thus wrapping up my reread; in preparation for volume 12.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/29/14 12:26 PM

Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit

So glad my library system picked this back up again. They only had the first 7 volumes when I initially began to read it, I then submitted acquisition requests for volumes 8 and 9. I forgot about it for like 5 months, and noticed last week that they actually added the volumes. Hooray! Great manga, it really just follows the formula of classic dystopian fiction (think Fahrenheit 451), but it's story is pretty unique and it doesn't have any gimmick to it like an unneeded sci-fi twist or having an unrealistically young protagonist. Great seinen, great manga in general. Can't wait for them to get the final volume.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/29/14 02:03 PM

Omamori Himari Volume 12

What can I say? It was an excellent series. I couldn't get enough, even on rereads of earlier volumes. Now that this journey has ended, I feel kinda empty. I long for more! I wish the anime would get greenlit for stateside home video release. That might mend this hole in my heart. More Omahime!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/30/14 01:39 PM

Beginning a reread of Dragonar Academy in preparation for volume 3 on my shelf. I love this manga. I'm hoping for Funimation to give me a home video release of the anime.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/30/14 01:40 PM

I wish the anime would get greenlit for stateside home video release. That might mend this hole in my heart. More Omahime!

August 31st is the last day you can legally watch the anime in NA. Hopefully one day someone more then likely Maiden Japan or Lucky Penny can release it.

To be 100% honest though the anime is decent at best and I would only watch it once to see it uncensored as Crunchyroll had the editied broadcast version. Buying it would only serve to help my ocd and love of Himari.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/30/14 01:41 PM

…and my love of Shizuku.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/30/14 01:42 PM

Beginning a reread of Dragonar Academy in preparation for volume 3 on my shelf. I love this manga. I'm hoping for FUNi to give me a home video release of the anime.

Fixed it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 08/30/14 01:45 PM

Woops! Thanks Cheap One. I fixed it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/01/14 10:38 AM

Halfway through a reread of Dragonar Academy Volume 2. Love it!

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/02/14 03:01 PM

Dragonar Academy Volume 3, and diggin' it already.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/02/14 11:53 PM

Strike Witches 1937 Fuso Sea Incident

I love the focus on Mio Sakamoto.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/03/14 08:24 AM

Heavenly Executioner Chiwoo, Eiken and Hollowfields.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/03/14 08:47 PM

No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular. Volume 4

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/04/14 08:41 AM

I'm so sorry Kiku I started reading that and thought it was a comment. For a second I questioned how I made you unpopular. hahaha, then I saw Vol 4.

I feel so dumb -.-v

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/04/14 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Jingraves
I'm so sorry Kiku I started reading that and thought it was a comment. For a second I questioned how I made you unpopular. hahaha, then I saw Vol 4.

I feel so dumb -.-v

No you had it right. It is Joel and I's fault. He has never been popular since we got him into manga. whistle devil

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/05/14 08:17 AM

Hahaha.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/08/14 07:03 PM

Marathon read Raqiya: The New Book of Revelation volumes 1 and 2. It's an interesting series to me for several reasons:
1) It's a collaboration between a Japanese television drama writer [who also created the manga/anime Human Crossing] and a Korean manhwa-ga [created Hotel and Sun Ken Rock].
2) The unique take on Christianity. I'm a sucker for manga that give an Eastern perspective to Western concepts.
3) The weird random insertions of comedic moments. (Although I'm not certain they're entirely intentional.)
4) There's almost an indie comics feel to the artwork in certain panels. Possibly as a result of mixed Japanese/ Korean art aesthetics.
I can't wait to read the next volume. It's slated to come out in February. But it'll probably be out sooner as these volumes weren't supposed to be out until October.
Only quibble is that there were a few grammatical errors in each volume. However there weren't any typos or spelling mistakes which does mean One Peace is somewhat improving as a publisher.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/11/14 10:04 PM

I finished about 10 volumes since work was slow.

3,4,5, Heavenly Executioner Chiwoo
1,2,3, Death Trance
1,2,3, Nightschool (working on the rest of the 4th)

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/14/14 10:48 PM

Finished HOTD Graphic Novel Omnibus 1.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/15/14 02:31 AM

aka the anime. Did you like the HOTD manga after seeing it first in anime?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/15/14 08:54 AM

Half way through Laon, about to start on Hero Tales. and I gotta find another one in my collection of ones I have not read yet.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/15/14 11:14 PM

aka the anime. Did you like the HOTD manga after seeing it first in anime?
Oh yeah. It is a mirror of the anime, yet; it seems to extrapolate the whole affair more. I really dig HOTD in both manga and anime format. I was hard pressed to not get the recent complete collection premium set, but I already own both omnibuses and both the series and the OVA on both DVD and Blu-ray.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/15/14 11:23 PM

Yea HOTD is very close to the anime and a great starting series cause of that. I look forward to how you view vols 5-7 since that is all new stuff and as of now the end of HOTD.

I do recommend Triage X as another title. It is very HOTD with guns, action & fanservice. It has more then HOTD.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/15/14 11:30 PM

Yea HOTD is very close to the anime and a great starting series cause of that. I look forward to how you view vols 5-7 since that is all new stuff and as of now the end of HOTD.

I do recommend Triage X as another title. It is very HOTD with guns, action & fanservice. It has more then HOTD.
I'm a couple of chapters in already, and diggin' every page. Regarding Triage X; it has more what? More volumes, more guns, more action, or more fanservice than HOTD. Please say more fanservice.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/15/14 11:49 PM

More volumes and fanservice. It is on par with the anime HOTD.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/16/14 12:03 AM

More volumes and fanservice. It is on par with the anime HOTD.
8 volumes already?! That's a pretty penny. Any hope for an omnibus?

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/16/14 02:28 AM

They just came out with volume 10 in Japan. They have the limited edition listed on Ami Ami (it comes with an oppai mousepad). As for if they'll have omnibuses, I would suspect they will get some in the future in order to promote the anime.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/16/14 03:28 AM

Yen Press doesn't seem to be too big into re-releasing titles in omnibus form. HOTD had the colored versions to sweeten the deal. So far Triage X has no such thing in Japan. Now we might see them appear around the anime. Then allowing Yen Press to release them here.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 09/25/14 10:15 PM

Although a graphic novel, not a manga; I'm reading J. O'Barr's The Crow.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/10/14 02:31 AM

Finally got around to reading Accel World vol.1 and then proceeded to forget to write about it for 2 days blush
Anyways. I really love this story. And I love Haruyuki. But that could be said of the novel and anime as well...
And the artwork is definitely better than the artwork for the SAO manga... Which again, could be said of the novel and anime.
So, in other words, if you're into the story like me or a completist buy the manga. Otherwise the anime and/or the Light Novels would probably suffice as other than the artwork it doesn't really offer anything new.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/10/14 08:56 AM

I am a fan of the anime, really enjoyed it. So I guess I will just go ahead and get the LNs for it then.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/12/14 12:30 AM

Strike Witches 1937 Fuso Sea Incident Volume 2

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/13/14 09:00 AM

Embalmer vol.1

Reading Dragon Sisters now

and after that I think I'm taking a break for a few days.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/16/14 06:42 PM

Read Magical Girl Apocalypse last night. Thought it started out rather cliche with the whole main character is bored with life, weird creature shows up and some idiot goes up to it and starts the whole chain of horrible events similar to most zombie genre stories. But the magical girls themselves are pretty unique and it's got plenty of gore. I went and did the stupid thing of getting attached to a non-main character. One who ironically ended up the same as a certain character from another magical girl show
Click to reveal..
Off with his head.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/17/14 08:47 AM

Dragon Sister!

and about to Dinosaur King series.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/27/14 12:33 PM

Finished Castlevania,

Reading GetBackers again and Bakuman,
Just got the new Pokémon adventures so reading these three right now.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/29/14 10:19 PM

Noticed on Akadot that all the import volumes of Magi are listed as The Ladyrinth of Magic . Why does that sound like a hentai title to me? wink

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 10/30/14 08:49 AM

Finished
Pokémon: Adventures: Ruby & Sapphire

Now back to
Bakuman, Get Backers
& whatever else I fall into -.-''v

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/04/14 11:31 PM

No matter how I look at it, it's you guys' fault I'm not popular. volume 5

And here I thought that they couldn't possibly keep rollin' with the extreme awkwardness, but it's still full steam ahead. I've said it before, but it's scary how much I relate ot Tomoko.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/05/14 08:08 AM

lol, I'll have to get that after the holidays

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/07/14 02:04 PM

Watamote 5 ended on a real cliffhanger.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/19/14 05:37 PM

So I'm on book 16 of Bakuman, getting close to the end of the 20 volume series.
Something weird has caught my eye though, in the book they talk about it being 2016 right now.

They haven't fully come out and said it, but I think subliminally they put in that the bigger ones will be ending with in the next year, 2015. Because they do not have any of them around in the manga.

Throw your input into it even I you don't like those bigger ones.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/20/14 02:15 PM

Finished reading Aquarium. I don't know what to say. It wasn't bad, wasn't good. Just so-so and a little misleading since there were 2 other stories in with it.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/20/14 02:34 PM

Finished reading Aquarium. I don't know what to say. It wasn't bad, wasn't good. Just so-so and a little misleading since there were 2 other stories in with it.

Oh, wow. Tomoko Taniguchi. That takes me back. I collected her stuff back around the mid to late 90's as single volume comics. I still have them for Princess Prince, Aquarium, and Call Me Princess. They were mostly harmless fluff pieces that I read to pass the time between volumes of Sailor Moon and Oh My Goddess. I do remember liking Aquarium most out of the 3 but that was only because it was the only one that actually had a resolution. But I probably wouldn't give them a second glance in the current market.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 11/24/14 04:22 PM

Dragonar Academy 4

Just as awesome as the previous 3 volumes. I ripped through it in no time. Lucca FTW! Now I'm chompin' at the bit for volume 5.
Posted by: J.E.S.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/01/14 06:39 PM

Right now I'm reading the doujin novels of Dance in the Vampire Bund.
It's not bad, but I feel like I should reread the manga to better appreciate it.
(I'm blanking out on a lot of the minor characters)

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/03/14 09:45 AM

Finished Ragnorak (all 10)/ GetBackers vol.24

Reading:
Oriemo (on vol2)
Cowboy Bebop:Shooting Star (almost done)
Oishino (on vol2)
Dark Angel (on vol1)

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/03/14 09:48 AM

Oh, wow. Tomoko Taniguchi. That takes me back. I collected her stuff back around the mid to late 90's as single volume comics. I still have them for Princess Prince, Aquarium, and Call Me Princess. They were mostly harmless fluff pieces that I read to pass the time between volumes of Sailor Moon and Oh My Goddess. I do remember liking Aquarium most out of the 3 but that was only because it was the only one that actually had a resolution. But I probably wouldn't give them a second glance in the current market.

I feel like she was writing it about her life as well though, kind of like that point of love or first loves and not being able to explain it really.

I did like Aquarium the most to though of the 3.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/03/14 01:35 PM

Black Rose Alice Volume 2

After the excellent and creepy volume 1, I wasn't expecting volume 2 to turn into a reverse harem, but hey it did so I guess I'll have to deal with it. As long as it remains creepy I guess. I feel like there's gonna be long waits between Viz's release of the volumes.

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/12/14 03:44 PM

Finished reading A Certain Magical Index LN Vol. 1. It was really a great read with a few twists. Don't want to post spoilers, but things aren't always as they seem, and Kamijou has a pretty good head on his shoulders to figure it out - when things aren't going horribly wrong for him. wink The ending was quite a twist too, so I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out in the next volume. Hopefully there'll be more Misaka too?

I haven't seen the anime. I'm not sure how well it adapts the first volume, but I'm thinking of watching it until it hits that point...

Re: What manga are you reading/just finished reading? - 12/13/14 11:05 AM

Finished reading A Certain Magical Index LN Vol. 1. It was really a great read with a few twists. Don't want to post spoilers, but things aren't always as they seem, and Kamijou has a pretty good head on his shoulders to figure it out - when things aren't going horribly wrong for him. wink The ending was quite a twist too, so I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out in the next volume. Hopefully there'll be more Misaka too?

I haven't seen the anime. I'm not sure how well it adapts the first volume, but I'm thinking of watching it until it hits that point...
Oh, man! You're getting me supercharged for Raildex! My copy of A Cetain Magical Index II Part 2 shipped out today too. No! I can wait! I can wait for The Miracle Of Endymion. Plus, I'm holding out hope for Raigun S to get the DVD/Blu-ray combo pack treatment. I can wait! confused