Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9959 - 05/16/09 10:59 AM Anime as Live Action
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
A consortium of companies from six different countries plans to produce a $30 million live action feature film based on anime series Bubblegum Crisis, according to Screen Daily and Hollywood Reporter. The English language film is planned for release in 2012.

Yet again another anime that is getting turned into a live-action movie. Seems like the trend continues. If this one will see the light of day or not remains to be seen. So what do guys think of this latest title being added to the list?

Advertisement
#9963 - 05/16/09 11:31 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: stargates]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
I am cautiously excited. However, 2012 is so far away.cry

#9964 - 05/16/09 11:36 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Hobby Ninja]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I saw that too. It made me wonder if this was something they were serious about or if it was just one of the titles that was getting thrown around.

#9968 - 05/16/09 06:17 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: stargates]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
Is it wise to invest so much in a series that is as renown as Bubblegum Crisis?

#10030 - 05/20/09 11:46 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Gevin]
Dangerous Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am usually a very optimistic person and enjoy what can be done on the BIG SCREEN with CGI, that being said, I have been nothing more than disappointed with the conversion from Anime to LIVE ACTION.

This isn’t a slant on “Bubblegum Crisis”(which I would have nominated a different Anime) it is more of a pessimistic view of what film makers have produced thus far.

There hasn’t been much success converting any anime/cartoon into a “LIVE ACTION” that fans of those series truly supported and/or enjoyed.

How many folks went to see Dragonball Evolution? It was nothing more than CRAP and my son, wished that he listened to me and saved his money.

A viable suggestion is to do a full production Anime movie then Hollywood may have good success. With all of the full feature animation films that are being release in modern times, is the perfect setting to introduce anime to a broader audience; which has the potential of appealing to more demographics.

My two cents, well maybe a nickel…lol

#10031 - 05/20/09 01:00 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Dangerous]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Casshern, Death Note, GTO, Uzumaki, ... (and if we were taking American animations/comics) .. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, etc.

The transition from animated work to live action will not always yeild great results, but there have certainly been several successes. The primary thing is for the film to respect the source material & not go so far commercial that it forgets its roots.

Dragonball Evolution had very obvious problems.

#10034 - 05/20/09 04:41 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Gevin]
GuilewasNK Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Virginia
The only live-action anime I have seen was Cutey Honey, which I really enjoyed. It was silly fun, and that is a good thing most of the time.

Some shows just don't lend themselves well to live-action.

2319 discs and counting... http://guilewasnk.filmaf.com/owned/anime

#10038 - 05/20/09 07:31 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: GuilewasNK]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: GuilewasNK
The only live-action anime I have seen was Cutey Honey, which I really enjoyed. It was silly fun, and that is a good thing most of the time.

Was that the movie or the series? I tried the series and just couldn't finish.

#10052 - 05/21/09 09:26 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: stargates]
zentropa Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Loc: Minneapolis
IMO, the key to live action adaptations is rooted in how they attempt to portray the work. The success of movies like X-Men and Spiderman were because those who made the movie concentrated more on telling a compelling story with characters you care about/relate to and less about attempting to cram a bunch of major events off a checklist into a 2 hour movie.

52 episodes worth of content crammed into 100 minutes worth of a movie just doesn't go well and this usually ends up badly. Telling an adapted story from a single plot arc or creating a new story with the existing characters/universe etc. usually has a better chance of not sucking.

If the first spiderman had been everything that happened in issues #1-89 of the amazing spiderman, there probably wouldn't have been a 2nd or 3rd movie.

Usually if it's a trust-worthy director you can count on it being decent. If it's a crappy director you get things like the 3rd X-Men movie.

#10055 - 05/21/09 10:26 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: stargates]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Originally Posted By: stargates
Originally Posted By: GuilewasNK

Was that the movie or the series? I tried the series and just couldn't finish.

That would be the movie I believe. It is a lot of good silly fun. When I first saw it, I thought it was one of the funniest things I had ever seen. Then again I am bit of a strange person.smile

#10095 - 05/22/09 11:57 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Dangerous]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Dangerous
I am usually a very optimistic person...

...I have been nothing more than disappointed with the conversion from Anime to LIVE ACTION.

I share your general attitude.

A viable suggestion is to do a full production Anime movie then Hollywood may have good success. With all of the full feature animation films that are being release in modern times, is the perfect setting to introduce anime to a broader audience; which has the potential of appealing to more demographics.

Mmm... maybe not. I suppose, given your premise of wanting to "introduce anime to a broader audience; which has the potential of appealing to more demographics," that your suggestion might be a feasible approach; but I'm not of the opinion that the anime industry should even attempt to broaden its audience.

I'm drawn to anime (and other things Japanese, and certain aspects of other cultures) because it is what it is, not because it's what I want it to be. From my perspective, anime (at least the good stuff) is more art than product, and while there is a commercial side to it (otherwise, it wouldn't exist), it wasn't marketed, packaged, and sold to me like typical American films and TV shows, where the aim is to serve the largest demographics (and often, the lowest common denominators).

I stumbled across anime by chance (I caught Cowboy Bebop while surfing channels one night), enjoyed what I saw, and began searching for more. Since then, I've found many more titles that I also like, and part of what makes anime/manga so good is that it doesn't pander to me (occasional fan service aside wink ). Anime is what it is, regardless of whether I like it.

{I'll probably take some heat for this next paragraph.}

Actually, the anime titles that I enjoy the least are the "major production" Studio Ghibli type films. Yes, they are quality films, and I can appreciate them on that level, but they just aren't as fun to watch as my favorite "normal production" titles (mainly, TV series and OVAs). The Ghibli titles, while certainly charming, tend to be predictable and overly wholesome, as though they're being too careful (*cough* Disney *cough*). Sometimes they're even a bit preachy, and occasionally, they're just plain boring... like homework. I even fell asleep during my first viewings of Metropolis and Princess Mononoke.

If the anime industry were to begin trying too hard to get more Americans, via Hollywood, to like anime, it might become something that I no longer enjoy. I think "the powers that be" seem to understand that, so I don't fear that happening. I just want anime to continue being anime.

I can't blame anyone for wanting to make money, and if some persons think they can make a nice profit by adapting everything to live action feature films (anime, manga, video games, TV shows, restaurant menus, whatever), they're free to do so. Just don't expect me to want to see most of them. Some things simply don't translate well to other formats, and even when they do, those creating the adaptations often don't concern themselves with remaining faithful to the source material. On rare occasions, that approach actually makes for a better film, but in most cases, I've found that it doesn't.

My two cents, well maybe a nickel…lol

I think I just spent my entire allowance.

#10115 - 05/22/09 04:34 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Stefanie]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Yes, so no more from stephanie. Gotta learn to not spend it all in one place wink

#10118 - 05/22/09 04:57 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Gevin]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Before anybody calls me an idiot I'll be the first to say that this post of mine wil not have anything to do with anime turned live action. This post is about American animation that tries to copy anime style. (ok!?)

Anyways, here are some photos from the live action Avatar: The Last Airbender film that will be coming.
http://lastairbenderfilm.com/2009/05/22/meet-avatar-aang-and-prince-zuko/

#10150 - 05/23/09 11:14 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Originally Posted By: Stephanie
{I'll probably take some heat for this next paragraph.}

Ok, hear comes the heat. LOL.
Actually I can see what you are talking about. It basicly comes down to prefered tastes. I like studio Ghibli's films (some more that others) because of the uncontroversial content. I also enjoy more adult themed anime. It's whatever I am in the mood for. Anime is like all other TV, films, books, etc. There is variety for a variety of interests.
Also, Miyazaki's work resembles Disney because he was inspired by Walt's early films. So was Tezuka. We can blame Disney and Max Fleischer for big eyes. laugh

However, I don't think mediocre (or shall I dare say-crappy) western live action adaptations of anime is not doing main stream anime acceptance any good.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (05/23/09 11:20 AM)

#10162 - 05/23/09 01:30 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Yes, I'm aware of everything you say in your first paragraph, and I agree. It's just that a little Ghibli goes a long way with me. wink

In your second paragraph... I have no idea what you're saying. lol

#10169 - 05/23/09 02:22 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Stefanie]
Tsunami3k Offline
UPSF Commander

Loc: Overland Park, KS
I've discussed this issue with a friend of mine off and on over the last few years. We have a blast doing speculative casting for different roles and or pondering what properties hold the most promise, etc. In the end, though, he always finishes up with: "So, what do you get?"

I don't know that we've ever come up with an conclusive answers but it is interesting way to distill the issue down. Along with "What, if anything, is gained by moving from animation to live-action?" it's equally compelling to consider "What is lost?" as well.

As I've said, I've pondered this a fair amount myself, so I'm curious as to what other people's thoughts are.

#10187 - 05/24/09 10:50 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Tsunami3k]
Risami Offline

If anime has to be live action it has to be drama/romance, i think action ones are not as good like dragon ball evolution
it be nice to see a magical anime turn into live action for once though smile if anybody ever saw sailor moon live action but i want to see it more magical like.

#10235 - 05/26/09 12:01 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Gevin]
Dangerous Offline

I will agree with you to a point because there have been some mild success with bringing comics to “Live Action.”

I haven’t ignored your proposition…

“The primary thing is for the film to respect the source material & not go so far commercial that it forgets its roots.”

I have lost count of how many films that just didn’t get it right as it relates to the essence of the characters in a manga/comic/anime. The adaptations are criminal; the director and producer should be sued for plagiarism and defamation of character. The writer should be immediately jailed.

That’s why I keep my expectation of these times of movies very low.

#10236 - 05/26/09 12:11 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Stefanie]
Dangerous Offline

I understand your sentiment very well.

Your allowance was spent well...lol

#10279 - 05/28/09 12:27 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: Dangerous]
AnWeeZy Offline

Loc: MD
I just think that the most logical leap for an anime would be CG not live action... It's just to "over-the-top" to pull off properly in a live action movie... Or at least take anime that isn't meant to be taken seriously, I may get lynched for this but I actually enjoyed the Dragonball movie... Now the live action Bebop I will withhold judgment since we're years away from that the live action Basilisk, Shinobi or whatever blew...

#10281 - 05/28/09 01:31 AM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: AnWeeZy]
kakashi12210 Online
UPSF Commodore

Loc: West Virginia
I enjoyed it as a different piece of the Dragonball world. If you don't focus on all the stuff wrong with it, it's pretty good. I may get the dvd when it comes out. It just depends on if the fight scenes are extended or anything that was cut out gets added back in.

#10349 - 05/29/09 09:23 PM Re: Anime as Live Action [Re: AnWeeZy]
Dangerous Offline

Brave Man!

Lynched would be too quick, "Tar and Feather" that would be the perfect punishment.

I personally think Gunsligher Girls would do well for "Live Action" flick.

Now to contridict myself a little bit. Movies like The Matrix, Harry Potter, Terminator, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, I Robot and Transformers provides hope that anime can make it to Live Action with some good success.

A director, like Steven Spielberg will need to provide his creative genius to make it work well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.