Start Shopping! Cart
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#68065 - 04/26/14 12:32 AM Re: New RightStuf.com Specials 4/24 - The Melancholy of Minion-chan [Re: sevi]
Noblesse Oblige Offline
UPSF Ensign

Originally Posted By: sevi
I used to try and guess the licenses, but after the last round of announcements I'm sort of apathetic. Probably just more harem and/or yuri series. Not holding my breath this time.
And, personally, I find real person gender bending based on your own ancestors creepy.
Imagining your great-great grandfather as a female and object of lust is just wrong on so many levels. I mean really, Japan, it's not as if you're exactly lacking in female characters smirk

Not sure which series you're referring to, but I know what you're saying. Japan has the uncanny ability to take anything and turn it into cute girls while completely dissociating the original concept from the cute girls part. That stuff isn't my cup of tea, but I think that abstractionism affirms why animation is such a great medium!

In addition, I think Nozomi has come out with some pretty good releases. They put out stuff like Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Boogiepop Phantom, Ristorante Paradiso, Victorian Romance Emma, and lets not forget a little something called Revolutionary Girl Utena! As for that harem stuff: some people must like it, why else would they be licensing it? And they do have a forum topic specifically for recommending licenses, so they know the shows that people want.

Advertisement
#68093 - 04/26/14 02:35 PM Re: New RightStuf.com Specials 4/24 - The Melancholy of Minion-chan [Re: Noblesse Oblige]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Noblesse Oblige
Originally Posted By: sevi
I used to try and guess the licenses, but after the last round of announcements I'm sort of apathetic. Probably just more harem and/or yuri series. Not holding my breath this time.
And, personally, I find real person gender bending based on your own ancestors creepy.
Imagining your great-great grandfather as a female and object of lust is just wrong on so many levels. I mean really, Japan, it's not as if you're exactly lacking in female characters smirk

Not sure which series you're referring to, but I know what you're saying. Japan has the uncanny ability to take anything and turn it into cute girls while completely dissociating the original concept from the cute girls part. That stuff isn't my cup of tea, but I think that abstractionism affirms why animation is such a great medium!

In addition, I think Nozomi has come out with some pretty good releases. They put out stuff like Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Boogiepop Phantom, Ristorante Paradiso, Victorian Romance Emma, and lets not forget a little something called Revolutionary Girl Utena! As for that harem stuff: some people must like it, why else would they be licensing it? And they do have a forum topic specifically for recommending licenses, so they know the shows that people want.

The series I was referring to was Sengoku Collection. I find it's one thing to gender bend fictional characters, but doing it to real people especially certain kinds of people... I mean, if they want to create strong female characters they already have proven they can craft originals so it's not like there's some significant shortage. And if it were just one or two titles that did this you could cite originality but there are several. More than there are samurai/ Sengoku series with non gender bended plots.
And I know RS (Nozomi/ Lucky Penny) has come out with some great series in the past. Which is ultimately why I've been so disappointed with their recent pickups. Sure people like harem and yuri titles and that's nice. But, there are plenty of companies who release titles like those in the states.
As for the suggestion thread, I've been using it for a while now. Probably going to add more suggestions soon. So I'm aware, but thanks smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.