Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#49694 - 03/15/13 11:11 PM Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega?
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Pennsylvania
So basically, I've noticed that since the Wii U and N3DS were brought out game stores are providing less and less space for Nintendo games. Not to mention the fact that the future release pages are practically blank as compared to other systems. The whole vibe coming from this reminds me of when Sega brought out the Dreamcast. Except even the Dreamcast had more games by this point. So what do you guys think? Is Nintendo going to be reduced to creating games for other systems like Sega? Will they recover? Or are they going to disappear completely?

Advertisement
#49695 - 03/15/13 11:32 PM Re: Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega? [Re: sevi]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
I wouldn't hate for them to be a 1st party handheld console maker & 3rd party console game maker. In fact, it could potentially be the best thing ever.

#49696 - 03/15/13 11:33 PM Re: Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega? [Re: sevi]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
That being said, I own a Wii-U & 3DS & neither get played very much at all. I own them for the 1st party titles: Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc.

#49697 - 03/15/13 11:55 PM Re: Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega? [Re: Gevin]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Originally Posted By: Gevin
I wouldn't hate for them to be a 1st party handheld console maker & 3rd party console game maker. In fact, it could potentially be the best thing ever.

I agree. Nintendo has proven to be much more solid when it comes to portable systems. Of course it doesn't hurt that the only real competition they have in that field, the PS Vita, has a notoriously horrendous battery life.

#49699 - 03/16/13 12:27 AM Re: Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega? [Re: sevi]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I have been a lifetime fan of Nintendo. They have always been synonymous with fun to me. They have never strayed from that concept and I love 'em for it. Nintendo has also always had the cahonies to push the barrier and experiment with new and fresh ideas and concepts and I love 'em for it. I think that each system that they've put out broke new ground. The NES revolutionized the industry and brought home consoles back from near death. The Super Nintendo brought a new level of graphics and speed. The 64 was effectively a little supercomputer for it's time. The Cube was and is the single strongest disc based system. The little bugger's built so well that it can withstand 10 foot drops onto hard floors. Furthermore, I personally feel that the Cube's controller is the single greatest controller ever designed. The Wii went out on a limb and reminded us that fun is important to gaming in addition to graphical and processor power. The Wii Remote will always stand testament to their ideology and bravery. To this day I can't play an FPS on anything else, not to mention nothin's more fun than actually swinging a sword. The Gameboy invented handlhelds. The GB Color added color without destroying battery life. The Advance, well the Advance still holds a special place in my heart. I love you Advance. The DS holds the very same spirit of revolution and bravery that the Wii represents, not to mention the second screen is perfect for maps, backpacks, menus, etc... The DSi brought the DS into the Cell Phone generation.

That being said, I feel that Nintendo's latest installments, the 3DS and Wii U are simply trying to keep up with the Jones's. The 3DS has already become synonymous with bogging down when the 3D is on all the way. So what's the point then? The Wii U now has nearly the graphical capability of it's competitors Sony and Microsoft, not to mention it's newly found repertoir of more adult oriented titles that were so popular on it's competitors' systems. Once again, keeping up with the Jones's. Apparently Wii U is also moving away from the Wii Remote. What's up with that? Now that they've got it it nailed with the Wii Remote Plus, they're gonna ditch it?

Whether or not Nintendo is digging it's own grave I do not know. I certainly hope not. I love Nintendo. I however am not joining the current generation. I simply don't have the funds to buy into an era which I'm not totally excited by. For the time being I'm buying glorious titles for the current and older Nintendo systems. Between that and going retro with the handhelds too, I should be occupied until the next generation; and I'll see how I feel about things then. Maybe I'll have saved up a wee bit o' filthy lucre by then; although probably not, considering my anime habit.

#49706 - 03/16/13 02:12 AM Re: Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega? [Re: sevi]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I own a Wii and 3DS and they are nice and all, but without Zelda I couldn't really see giving them a 2nd thought. I would love to be more excited about Nintendo products, but I haven't really loved their console since the N64. I didn't get the NGC and Wii till very late in their cycle, so I could buy them cheap and get the Zeldas on them.

#49715 - 03/16/13 02:36 AM Re: Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega? [Re: sevi]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
BTW THIS is a very interesting read.

#49828 - 03/19/13 07:04 PM Re: Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega? [Re: sevi]
boredandlazy Offline
UPSF Ensign

Originally Posted By: sevi
Originally Posted By: Gevin

I agree. Nintendo has proven to be much more solid when it comes to portable systems. Of course it doesn't hurt that the only real competition they have in that field, the PS Vita, has a notoriously horrendous battery life.

The battery life for the Vita is usually around 4-5 hours. Which I thought was pretty much the same as the 3DS?

#49836 - 03/19/13 11:29 PM Re: Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega? [Re: boredandlazy]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

The battery life for 3DS is around 3-5 hours for 3D games. If you don't turn on the 3D or play older games its boosted up to around 8 hours. But if that's true about the Vita, I'd have to say the rumors are greatly exaggerated.;)
BTW- I am probably going to buy a Vita soon, so...

#49885 - 03/20/13 05:31 PM Re: Is Nintendo going to be the next Sega? [Re: sevi]
razisgosu Offline
UPSF Ensign

Originally Posted By: sevi
The battery life for 3DS is around 3-5 hours for 3D games. If you don't turn on the 3D or play older games its boosted up to around 8 hours. But if that's true about the Vita, I'd have to say the rumors are greatly exaggerated.;)
BTW- I am probably going to buy a Vita soon, so...

As an owner of both a Vita and a 3DS, I can say the Vita has a vastly longer battery life than a 3DS. I leave my 3DS on standby mode for half a day, with maybe an hour or two of active playtime (3D off and volume off) and the battery is on red/flashing red.

My Vita I can play for hours with volume on medium and the battery doesn't reach half. I think the 3DS loses a lot in standby mode when compared to the Vita's standby mode, I think that's the big difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.