Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#49388 - 03/10/13 02:16 PM Comfort Food
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I like to eat. yummy Sometimes, I even like to cook. crazy I thought I'd start a topic where we could talk about food in all it's myriad wonders. The "Comfort Food" topic is a place to tell us what your favorite thing to put in Macaroni & Cheese is. C'mon, we all know it's cut up hot dogs. Or... maybe it's tuna and peas. confused Maybe you went out to a fancy new restaurant last night and had a knockout dinner. Tell us about it. Do you have a favorite thing to eat while you watch anime? cool Tell us about it. Maybe you were up all night concocting your new favorite recipe. Tell us about it (and PM kiku the recipe wink ). Maybe you've finally mastered flipping that g??d??? omelette you've tryin' to flip for how flippin' long? mad Or... maybe you wanted to tell us that the world's largest omelette was made in Ontario, Canada on May 11th 2002 and weighed 2.95 metric tons. Oops, I just told you that. smirk Let's talk about food. Let's talk about the heavenly little deli that's right around the corner from your apartment. angel Let's talk about the great Chinese restaurant with the ginormous portions down the road from your house that is quite possibly the one thing keeping you from moving out the area. devil Life is short. The preparation of, eating of, and cleaning up of food with friends and family is one of life's finer pleasures; although I, more often than not... do it alone. cry That doesn't stop me from enjoying every last morsel. I love food; sometimes to a fault. eek Today I've prepared one of my favorite comfort foods. Perfectly suited to the lifestyle of a bachelor such as myself, is the comfort food known as pulled pork. grin

I'm a purist when it comes to the initial preparation. I buy a 2.5# pork butt roast and a 2.5# pork loin roast; put 'em both in a crock pot on low, and go to bed. 12 hours later, laugh I turn it off for an hour. Then I put on some rubber gloves (it's still hot frown ) and pull all the fat and bones out. Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for small bone chips, just in case. That's why I use the gloves, so I can be extra meticulous about pulling the pork apart. whistle I return the pork to the crock pot and cook on high for another hour. I usually refrain from making gravy, because the pulled pork will reabsorb most of the drippings. If you want gravy, I recommend pan searing in a skillet first, and then deglazing with Sherry; but that's too much work. sweat Remember, I'm a bachelor. I'll bet your saying: "Don't you season it or add sauce?" Nope. shocked

That can be done later, but I like to enjoy the first few meals naked. I mean without sauce or seasoning, you rascal. I like just about any kind of roll for sandwiches, but it must be buttered. Rolls are especially delicious if you cut and butter them, and then grill them face down in a skillet until they're golden brown. One important thing to remember, is to portion and freeze some of the pork right away. Otherwise, one of two things is bound to happen. Either you will eat way too much or it'll go bad. Those little ziploc containers are great for freezing the portions. Just take one out the night before and heat in a covered saucepan on the stovetop on low for half an hour or so. I also like to add bbq sauce to the saucepan and serve it with mashed potatoes and a side vegetable. Another quick favorite for reheating in the saucepan is to add a little worcestershire (not the cheap stuff) and serve it on a roll with dijon mustard and raw onion. Smoked cheese is great on the sandwiches as well. Mayo and pickles is good too... I love pulled pork.

BTW the reason for the choice in roasts is as follows:

Pork Butt Roast - It's cheap and has fat and darker meat for flavor.
Pork Loin Roast - It's lean and has lighter meat for good texture.

Finally; for tough or discount roasts, I recommend rubbing the roast with Adolf's No MSG Tenderizer, salt, and pepper a few hours prior to cooking. It'll work wonders.

Advertisement
#49389 - 03/10/13 03:06 PM Re: Comfort Food [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: kiku
I like to eat. yummy Sometimes, I even like to cook. crazy I thought I'd start a topic where we could talk about food in all it's myriad wonder. The "Comfort Food" topic is a place to tell us what your favorite thing to put in Macaroni & Cheese is. C'mon, we all know it's cut up hot dogs. Or... maybe it's tuna and peas. confused Maybe you went out to a fancy new restaurant last night and had a knockout dinner. Tell us about it. Do you have a favorite thing to eat while you watch anime? cool Tell us about it. Maybe you were up all night concocting your new favorite recipe. Tell us about it (and PM kiku the recipe wink ). Maybe you've finally mastered flipping that g??d??? omelette you've tryin' to flip for how flippin' long? mad Or... maybe you wanted to tell us that the world's largest omelette was made in Ontario, Canada on May 11th 2002 and weighed 2.95 metric tons. Oops, I just told you that. smirk Let's talk about food. Let's talk about the heavenly little deli that's right around the corner from your apartment. angel Let's talk about the great Chinese restaurant with the ginormous portions down the road from your house that is quite possibly the one thing keeping you from moving out the area. devil Life is short. The preparation of, eating of, and cleaning up of food with friends and family is one of life's finer pleasures; although I, more often than not... do it alone. cry That doesn't stop me from enjoying every last morsel. I love food; sometimes to a fault. eek Today I've prepared one of my favorite comfort foods. Perfectly suited to the lifestyle of a bachelor such as myself, is the comfort food known as pulled pork. grin

I'm a purist when it comes to the initial preparation. I buy a 2.5# pork butt roast and a 2.5# pork loin roast; put 'em both in a crock pot on low, and go to bed. 12 hours later, laugh I turn it off for an hour. Then I put on some rubber gloves (it's still hot frown ) and pull all the fat and bones out. Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for small bone chips, just in case. That's why I use the gloves, so I can be extra meticulous about pulling the pork apart. whistle I return the pork to the crock pot and cook on high for another hour. I usually refrain from making gravy, because the pulled pork will reabsorb most of the drippings. If you want gravy, I recommend pan searing in a skillet first, and then deglazing with Sherry; but that's too much work. sweat Remember, I'm a bachelor. I'll bet your saying: "Don't you season it or add sauce?" Nope. shocked

That can be done later, but I like to enjoy the first few meals naked. I mean without sauce or seasoning, you rascal. I like just about any kind of roll for sandwiches, but it must be buttered. Rolls are especially delicious if you cut and butter them, and then grill them face down in a skillet until they're golden brown. One important thing to remember, is to portion and freeze some of the pork right away. Otherwise, one of two things is bound to happen. Either you will eat way too much or it'll go bad. Those little ziploc containers are great for freezing the portions. Just take one out the night before and heat in a covered saucepan on the stovetop on low for half an hour or so. I also like to add bbq sauce to the saucepan and serve it with mashed potatoes and a side vegetable. Another quick favorite for reheating in the saucepan is to add a little worcestershire (not the cheap stuff) and serve it on a roll with dijon mustard and raw onion. Smoked cheese is great on the sandwiches as well. Mayo and pickles is good too... I love pulled pork.

BTW the reason for the choice in roasts is as follows:

Pork Butt Roast - It's cheap and has fat and darker meat for flavor.
Pork Loin Roast - It's lean and has lighter meat and good texture.

Oh lordly all that sounds so good !!! yummy

Lately for me itís Ice cream., both Vanilla and Neapolitan, with Hersheyís Chocolate Syrup.
In fact I just got back from buying both kinds at Wal-Mart.

And I mean Iíve been eating the hell out of it, I always make myself these big bowls full of it,
topped by the Chocolate Syrup.

Iíve gained some weight from it, thatís for sure, Iím still a 34, but instead of a loose 34 Iím a tight 34.
If I was to stop, Iíd be back to my old size by Months end.

Thatís the only way Iíve ever gained or lost weightÖ.. Was to Pig Out, Like during the Holidays, etcÖ.
I gain, then Iíll loose it after, just by not eating a lot anymore.

Iím not sure when this little Ice Cream love Feast of mine will end, sooner or later, but if my 34 waist pants
No longer fit, than Iíll lay off it.
Iím not about to buy all new pants just because I want my Ice CreamÖ

#49390 - 03/10/13 03:17 PM Re: Comfort Food [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I made a couple o' edits to my previous post after your reply. Be sure to check 'em out. When you mentioned "big bowls of ice cream", I had a flashback to one of my favorite comfort foods when I was a child: big bowls of cereal. I didn't mess around when it was time for Saturday morning cartoons. Cereal bowl, hah! I went in to the cupboard and grabbed a mixing bowl and filled it to spilling with Fruity Pebbles or Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch or other somesuch blood sugar boiling nonsense. I miss bein' a kid.

#49462 - 03/12/13 01:33 AM Re: Comfort Food [Re: kiku]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Pennsylvania
My favorite thing to do when I was little was spend the day at the playground on the other side of town with my friends during the summer. We would go to Dairy Queen around dusk and I would get a Nerds Blizzard. Of course, the Nerds Blizzard no longer exists. Darn you DQ. Why!? cry

#49488 - 03/12/13 01:10 PM Re: Comfort Food [Re: sevi]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

They don't have Nerds Blizzards anymore? shocked I guess I haven't been to a DQ in awhile.

#51477 - 04/26/13 10:35 PM Re: Comfort Food [Re: kiku]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Finally found a store that sells Rainbow Mentos. Gotta feed that craving. grin

#51478 - 04/26/13 11:13 PM Re: Comfort Food [Re: kiku]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Has anyone tried Hershey's Chocolate Twizzlers? Good stuff!

#51482 - 04/26/13 11:57 PM Re: Comfort Food [Re: joelgundam01]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Originally Posted By: joelgundam01

No, haven't yet. Are they chocolate flavored or chocolate covered?

#51483 - 04/27/13 12:15 AM Re: Comfort Food [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I think I've got a problem with Cheetos Mix Ups. I just can't stop eatin' 'em.

#51487 - 04/27/13 01:16 AM Re: Comfort Food [Re: sevi]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: sevi
Originally Posted By: joelgundam01

No, haven't yet. Are they chocolate flavored or chocolate covered?

Flavored! Hershey's chocolate is actually mixed into the Twizzler's ingredients.

Fun Fact: Twizzlers is owned by Hershey's.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.