Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
#47787 - 02/01/13 11:14 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Thanks for elaborating joelgundam01. Would you, by chance; have more information regarding the suffixes (honorifics) -san, -chan, & -kun? What sets them apart? I'm aware the -sama is used when referring to someone whom one holds in high regard, or is their senior. The other three aforementioned honorifics, as you mentioned; seem to be synonymous. If there was a more specific meaning to each, I'd love to know; especially considering how often -san, -chan, & -kun are seen in anime.

Advertisement
#47791 - 02/01/13 11:34 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

From what I have seen. Now I may be wrong with this, but "chan" seems to be more for someone talking to someone they are older then. Like the onii-sama or onee-sama would refer to the younger person by "insert name"-chan.

kun and san I am not too sure about yet.

#47798 - 02/02/13 12:18 AM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: Cheap One]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: Cheap One
From what I have seen. Now I may be wrong with this, but "chan" seems to be more for someone talking to someone they are older then. Like the onii-sama or onee-sama would refer to the younger person by "insert name"-chan.

kun and san I am not too sure about yet.

Kun, san and chan can be used in many ways. It's true that chan is usually used for people that are younger, but I have read some titles that have used it for older characters. Usually it's for a joke between friends and siblings that act childish, but I have seen Onee-chan and Onii-chan used a few times now.

#47800 - 02/02/13 12:28 AM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: kiku
Thanks for elaborating joelgundam01. Would you, by chance; have more information regarding the suffixes (honorifics) -san, -chan, & -kun?

San - Is a really generic honorific and it's a really safe one to use if your not sure which honorific to use. It's pretty much the equivalent to Mr, Mrs, Miss and Ms all in one.

Chan - Usually used to address young girls, but can be used occasionally for young boys too. Sometimes it can be used for older people that act childish.

Kun - Usually used to address young boys, but can be used to address older men as well. It's very rare for a female to be called kun.

Sama - Usually used for nobles, aristocrats and royalty. However, like you said. It can also be used for someone that has high respect for someone. Almost to a level where the person is worshiping them.

Dono - Used for people that are the head of a business or household.

#47819 - 02/02/13 04:26 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Thanks again joelgundam01.

#48632 - 02/21/13 10:43 AM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Pseud-OCD (aka pseudo obcessive compulsive disorder)

def. - The mental state of requiring order, for reasons that can seem incoherent. Unlike OCD, Pseud-OCD doesn't require said order to prevent a nervous break; it just really pisses us off when we can't have our way.

see also: Completist Tendencies/Completist Syndrome

#49123 - 03/04/13 10:19 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

GAR: (As taken from the "Figures" topic)

def.: A man that posesses so much masculinity and virility that any other men around him simply all look like pansies.

ex.: Duke Togo from The Professional, Jotaro Jostar from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Kenshiro from Fist Of The North Star.

#49137 - 03/05/13 01:01 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: kiku
GAR: (As taken from the "Figures" topic)

ex.: Ed's Father in Cowboy Bebop

ex.: Shungai So in The Story of Saiunkoku

#49148 - 03/05/13 06:15 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Ed is so lovable.

#49567 - 03/13/13 10:55 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

"Trap" - A character that appears to be, dresses like, and/or talks like a woman; but is in fact a man.

"Reverse Trap" - A character that appears to be, dresses like, and/or talks like a man; but is in fact a woman.

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.