Start Shopping! Cart
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#48235 - 02/12/13 12:49 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: joelgundam01]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: joelgundam01

Great classic, and good suggestion. I rewatched that series just last month. I like it more each time I watch it, and over time, it has gradually moved up on my list. I've also grown to like the animation style, which was a bit of a distraction when I initially watched it, years ago. That Peppo knows way too much for her own good! wink

Advertisement
#48250 - 02/12/13 06:43 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: SD Maruko-kun
If you konw what series you like, and you want more similar ones, you can throw your series at http://www.anime-planet.com and it will suggest what the site's users think are series "similar" to the series you entered.
If you're looking for a particular genre, the "genre" search of http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ might be of help.
MyAnimeList also features a Recommendations section. The best way to find the recommendations is to simply enter the name of the anime in their search window, and then you can select "recommendations" for that particular anime. For example: Black Lagoon Recommendations.

#48267 - 02/12/13 10:10 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: kiku]
sevi Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Pennsylvania
Just to list a few that haven't been mentioned:
Hellsing
Haunted Junction (sub only)
Pretear
Heat Guy J
Toriko
I'm Gonna Be An Angel
Someday's Dreamers
Ah! My Goddess
Ranma 1/2
Tactics
Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok
Samurai Deeper Kyo

#48268 - 02/12/13 10:26 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: nativetan88]
oldcharlie55 Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: New York
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, so I would recommend checking out Kino's Journey as it is one of my all-time favorites and as far as I know still readily available. It's notable for being one of the few examples of the "picaresque" in anime. Since you mentioned romance I would also suggest Princess Tutu; definitely not your run-of-the-mill magical girl show, and also still available from Section23.

Speaking of magical girl shows, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a great recent show. Unfortunately, it's expensive to buy but you may still be able to stream it on Crunchyroll.

#48273 - 02/12/13 11:08 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: oldcharlie55]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I'm with oldcharlie55 on Kino's Journey and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

#48510 - 02/19/13 10:52 AM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: oldcharlie55]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: oldcharlie55
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, so I would recommend checking out Kino's Journey as it is one of my all-time favorites...

Ditto. There are so many good titles to suggest, it's easy to omit some favorites in a quick list (I could've included Trinity Blood, Chrono Crusade, When They Cry, Gungrave, Berserk, Speed Grapher, etc.). I think Kino's Journey is one of those series that every anime fan should see, even if it's not your normal cup of tea. It's a refreshing anime twist on good old fashioned storytelling.

#48511 - 02/19/13 11:16 AM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: Stefanie]
BWBODDY Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
Originally Posted By: oldcharlie55
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, so I would recommend checking out Kino's Journey as it is one of my all-time favorites...

Ditto. There are so many good titles to suggest, it's easy to omit some favorites in a quick list (I could've included Trinity Blood, Chrono Crusade, When They Cry, Gungrave, Berserk, Speed Grapher, etc.). I think Kino's Journey is one of those series that every anime fan should see, even if it's not your normal cup of tea. It's a refreshing anime twist on good old fashioned storytelling.

I agree, I've watched Kino's Journey several times now, and will again ( and again ).
Also the other you listed are also great and re-watchable as well.

Speed Grapher and even more so When They Cry are a real trip ( and me likey, me likey a lot )
grin

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.