Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#48227 - 02/12/13 12:19 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: SD Maruko-kun
12 kingdoms unfortunately not doing well enough to get license rescued after Tokyopop's collapse... frown

You're right! The sales for the last volume that TP released were pretty average from what I've heard. And that's another problem with long series in general. The strongest sales are going to happen on the first couple of volumes. Each and additional volume release will see a decrease in sales. That's because you rarely get new fans that will start a title from the middle (they almost always start from volume 1) and many of the existing fans move on over time to something else.

Advertisement
#48247 - 02/12/13 04:36 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
sevi Online
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Pennsylvania
What I don't really understand is why Kodansha discontinued several titles like Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei when they took over Del Rey but kept several titles which had only a single volume out like Arisa. I would think it would be more difficult to assess potential sales on a series that only just started compared to an already established series.

#48257 - 02/12/13 06:56 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: sevi]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: sevi
What I don't really understand is why Kodansha discontinued several titles like Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei when they took over Del Rey but kept several titles which had only a single volume out like Arisa. I would think it would be more difficult to assess potential sales on a series that only just started compared to an already established series.

Low sales is the most likely reason for SZS. For titles like Arisa, the sales of the first volume were strong enough to give the title a shot and the results have been positive.

#48266 - 02/12/13 09:53 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
sevi Online
UPSF Commodore

Actually SZS sold well enough that it was consistently ranked in the NY Times Top Ten Manga List. I don't think Arisa has even cracked the list once. The only series Kondansha publishes which has more books on the list are Fairy Tail and Sailor Moon.

#48299 - 02/13/13 12:17 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: sevi]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: sevi
Actually SZS sold well enough that it was consistently ranked in the NY Times Top Ten Manga List.

The NY Times Manga List is not very accurate and even NYT admits it. It only covers the sales through the distributors, which aren't really sales and more of just units shipped. SZS volumes could be getting some really high returns. This is what killed Tokyopop.

Top it all off, quite a few online stores do their own distributing and they don't supply their numbers to NYT.

#48326 - 02/13/13 06:36 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
sevi Online
UPSF Commodore

I'm willing to concede on some points. I just think that several of the titles that Kodansha dropped are better than some of the ones they picked up or kept on. Of course they're not as bad as Yen Press is right now with their having the majority of titles being American "manga".

#48333 - 02/14/13 05:04 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
The NY Times Manga List is not very accurate and even NYT admits it. It only covers the sales through the distributors, which aren't really sales and more of just units shipped. SZS volumes could be getting some really high returns. This is what killed Tokyopop.

Tokyopop having lots of returns was to great financial benefit of Dutch and Belgian manga fans: a traveling bookfair seems to have bought tens of thousands (or maybe even 100K+) of those Tokyopop returns (and later also from Del Rey), marked the top or bottom with a marker to indicate them being "surplus" and sold them for EUR 1.95 ($2.50) per volume over the years. I probably have 50+ of those marked/cheap volumes; it must have dented the sales of normal priced Tokyopop and Del Rey volumes a bit over here... (though if for ex. of a series vol. 1-3, 6-7 and 10 would be at the fair but not the others, regular sales of 4-5 and 8-9 must have jumped quite a bit from people who wouldn't have started the series otherwise... wink )
</off topic>

#48376 - 02/15/13 02:10 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
sevi Online
UPSF Commodore

To bring myself more on topic, I'm hoping against hope that since Viz is rereleasing Please Save My Earth in digital they'll license the rights to Please Save My Earth Next Generation. Also, it would be great if another company bought the rights to Code Geass so they could release Renya of the Blackness.

#50896 - 04/14/13 02:01 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
ChaosBlade666 Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

This might be a stupid question but ive looked everywhere and I can't find an answer so......Does anyone know if

Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai - the manga will be sold in English anytime soon?

#50897 - 04/14/13 02:03 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: ChaosBlade666]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: ChaosBlade666
This might be a stupid question but ive looked everywhere and I can't find an answer so......Does anyone know if

Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai - the manga will be sold in English anytime soon?

Nope! No one has licensed it yet from what I can tell.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.