Start Shopping! Cart
Page 20 of 29 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
#38162 - 05/27/12 09:40 PM Re: Top Ten List [Re: stargates]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
MY TOP TEN
1. Crest/Banner of the Stars Trilogy ( Sentimental Favorite )
2. Ghost in the Shell
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Gunslinger Girl
5. Elfen Lied
6. Serial Experiments Lain
7. Samurai 7
8. RIN -Daughter of Mnemosyne-
9. WITCHBLADE
10. NOIR - MADLAX - EL CAZADOR De La Bruja ( Bee Trains Girls with Guns Trilogy )
& plus ten
11. Original Dirty Pair ( English Dub )
12. Black Lagoon
13. FLAG
14. Ergo Proxy
15. Witch Hunter Robin
16. TRIGUN
17. GOLGO 13
18. Bubblegum Crisis ( Universe Collection )
19. Ninja Nonsense
20. Cat Planet Cuties

Advertisement
#48285 - 02/13/13 04:43 AM Re: Top Ten List [Re: stargates]
KyleMills Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Michigan, U.S.
This one is tough, gonna do a top 15.

1. DragonBall(as a whole) - Only reason it's #1 is because it has sentimental value.
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. FMA BrotherHood
4. Code Geass
5. Full Metal Panic(as a whole, however Fumoffu is my favorite)
6. YuYu Hakusho
7. Wolf's Rain
8. Durarara!!
9. Mushi-Shi
10. The Big O
11. Samurai Champloo
12. Trigun
13. The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
14. Level E
15. Gun X Sword

That list is pretty close, but it does switch around a bit, I'm halfway through both Black Lagoon & Eureka Seven, those will make the list once i finish it.

#48287 - 02/13/13 09:57 AM Re: Top Ten List [Re: stargates]
PetrifiedJello Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Indiana
Before I get to my list, I just wanted to express a few reasons why I created my list. My primary factors include art, story, character design, and re-watch factor (the higher, the better). Now, on to the list:

#10: YuruYuri - Note: This show isn't what you think it is. With that, what I discovered is a charming series filled with pleasing comedy and run-of-the-mill antics which help make it sparkle. To be honest, it's not that great of a show, but there's something about it which really got to me. Maybe it was Kyoko, or perhaps it was the way the characters intermingled with each other that set a tone of enjoyment for me. I doubt we'll ever see an R1 release of this, but it's streaming on CR if you're interested. The second season didn't hold up as well as the first, but it was still enjoyable nonetheless.

#9: Saki - It's a series about Mahjong. How in the world can this be any good, right? It's Mahjong. I don't know a thing about this game, but the series made sure I didn't have to in order to enjoy it. The hidden treasure in the series is the way it can deliver its plays to those without understanding yet still incite emotions when they're victorious or struggling. I was so captivated by the series, I was truly ticked off when it finally ended and there isn't any more. Worse, the series got a "reboot" last year, and it seems we'll never see the conclusion to this one, which many fans enjoyed better than the latest version now streaming on CR. That was a crock of [bleep] in my book, and here's to hoping we see this one continued, because it certainly deserves it.

#8: Working - Side note: I'm going to be very, very upset with R1 if no one brings this series over. That being said, this series really surprised me. Think of a dysfunctional group of people working at a family restaurant, and you have the setup of a charming, yet funny, series. The series starts of with Popura desperately searching for a new employee to cover a shift at the restaurant. She runs all over town until she discovers Sota, who's so taken with Popura's cuteness, he instantly agrees. From there, he discovers a whole new side of the family restaurant business and it's not what he was expecting.

#7: My Bride is a Mermaid - The first time I saw this series, I hated it. Worse, I actually cursed myself for wasting money on it (thanks, FUNimation two-part collection). One day, while perusing my 300+ title collection, I decided to throw this in again. No reason, other than perhaps self-punishment. What I discovered is myself laughing at scenes I didn't laugh at before. What happened? Why did it go from bad to good? I listened. Since I was aware of what was going to happen, it gave me the opportunity to listen to the dialogue a bit better, and let's face it, we miss quite a bit with first time viewings. The comedy isn't in your face, but it's behind the scenes. The little wisecracks I heard (for the first time) really changed how I viewed the series, and they're funny.

#6: Soul Eater - Wow! Check out the art and colors on this beauty! The stories! Needless to say, I was floored the from the very opening of this series and have been hooked ever since. Maka, Soul, Death the Kid, and Blackstar were instantly enjoyable and the series didn't let me down to see them grow together as friends. Blackstar's arrogance was the biggest surprise, because while some may find it grating, I found it to be the reason why they all did become friends. This was the first series I ever "double-dipped" for because it deserves nothing less than bluray and I don't regret a single cent of doing so. I gave the DVDs to a family member, so that's always a bonus in converting a person into an anime fan.

#5: Bamboo Blade - I'm really ticked off this series didn't get the respect it deserves, though I have to admit I understand why. Not only is the series about Kendo, a sport as unfamiliar to us as Jai Alai is, but it also focuses on it being "all girls". That's not true, but they do take center stage, and rightfully they should considering the entire premise of the first arc is done on a bet, which requires an all-girl team to be formed. It's very well written, and I'm going to do something I generally don't do: spoil the series: the girls don't win a single tournament throughout the series. I'm spoiling this because I want to remove any misconception this is a "Rocky"-style story. It's not, at all, about them winning, but how they deal with the losses and everyday issues of being in the Kendo club. There is character growth here, and it's evident the series was cut off before we get to see any more of it. A shame, too, because I'd love nothing more than to see the story continue.

#4: Heaven's Memo Pad - Just recently released, and look where it sits on my list. Words simply can't describe the hidden treasure this series delivers, because the box art sure won't give you any indication this is a well written series. Alice is a NEET detective, who crafts her skills using a myriad of computers to "solve cases" which are brought to her attention. No, she's definitely no Sherlock Holmes, but with the other members of the cast, she plays her part well. The true star, though, is Narumi, the male lead. While professing to be anything but a NEET, his involvement with the crew actually initiates many of the series' stories, and the arc regarding Kenji is one of the best in the series. If you can stream it, do so, if the box art is putting you off to a buy. Don't be surprised if you find yourself adding this "under the radar" in your collection.

#3: Kamichu - Imagine waking up one day to discover you're a god. That's what Yurie, 10, discovered as she tries to spend her days figuring out what to do with her newly discovered gift. With her friends Mitsue and Matsuri, they embark on helping out other gods and the people of their town. Such a shame this series only has 16 episodes, because it's beautiful, slow, and the artistry's vibrant colors help make the series pop.

#2: Lucky Star - If there's any series I've viewed more than any other, it's this one, with well over 100 viewings. As of this writing, there's a disk in my player, because it's always playing between viewings of other series. Yet, despite the number of times I've seen it, I still find it as refreshing as the first time I fell in love with it. What really made the series stand out was its simple art, from its character designs to its backdrops, yet it's been so effective, Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki are some of the most recognizable characters in anime. Not bad, Kagami Yoshimizu, the creator.

Oh, and by the way, this Kagami is actually male, a common misconception because Kagami in the series is female.

And coming in at #1 (and should be no surprise): Aria - As an anime fan for 30 years, this is the only title I have ever rated as a "Masterpiece". There are no antagonists or long-running drama elements. Most episodes stand alone, and tell similar, though different, stories featuring Akari, Aika, and Alice. The muted color palette used is exemplary, allowing the characters to blend with one of the most beautiful backdrops I've ever witnessed.

In fact, I'd say the backdrops are just as much a star of the series as is the three main characters (4, if you count Ai). While Aria: The Natural did dip in the art design, its stories still did its best to keep us entertained.

This series has impacted me in more ways than I can count, and I'm thankful for Kozue Amano (creator), HAL Film Maker (production), Junichi Sato (Director), and Nozomi (US distributor) for bringing this masterpiece to us.

You probably took notice there were some infamous titles missing from my list, but this is by design. While series like Full Metal Panic, Cowboy Bebop, and others "should" belong in a Top 10 list, the truth of the matter is they've finally passed their prime to be on my list. For me, it was time to let go of the past and enjoy what anime has to offer now. I still recommend the older series to those new to anime, but we've got to accept they're not the "cup of tea" newer fans are enjoying. It's no longer surprising to me when a fan says "I've never seen 'Cowboy Bebop' and I don't intend to."

I can't fault them and hope they do check out older titles, but even I find myself enjoying newer titles than the old "classics". I've seen Cowboy Bebop over 20 times, and that "record" was shattered by Lucky Star, which now claims the top spot as the most viewed anime I own. Yes, even more than my beloved masterpiece Aria.

This is because my viewing habits changed as anime changed. I no longer want a top 10 list of nothing but "dramas" and "action series" like FMP, GitS, or even Akira, the "granddaddy" of anime itself.

I want a top 10 list that are, truly, my favorites today.

Hope you enjoyed reading this wall of text. :P

#48289 - 02/13/13 10:09 AM Re: Top Ten List [Re: stargates]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
You'll be happy to know that Working! (at least the first season) has already been brought over. NIS America has released it with the title Wagnaria!

Edited by Manhiem (02/13/13 10:10 AM)

#48294 - 02/13/13 10:50 AM Re: Top Ten List [Re: stargates]
PetrifiedJello Offline

Loc: Indiana
True, but it's DVD, not bluray. I should have been more specific. If I must, I'll buy it on DVD, but I'm biding my time to see if NIS makes a new announcement.
wink

#48312 - 02/13/13 02:16 PM Re: Top Ten List [Re: PetrifiedJello]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
PetrifiedJello... I did, in fact; enjoying reading "that wall of text". Your summations of My Bride Is A Mermaid and Heaven's Memo Pad did them justice. Well played.

#48323 - 02/13/13 03:48 PM Re: Top Ten List [Re: stargates]
oldcharlie55 Offline

Loc: New York
I've been meaning to do a "Top Ten" list for a while, so here goes.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: One of the best movies of any kind I have ever seen. I went into my first viewing with high expectations, and this film not only met them but exceeded them. I watched it again when I double-dipped for the Blu-Ray and it was just as great the second time around.

Princess Mononoke: It's a bit long, and it seems to require knowledge of a bit of Japanese history to really understand it so it comes in just slightly behind Nausicaa in my ratings. Still, I consider this to be a masterpiece.

Kino's Journey: This is the top TV show on my list, and it is as close to perfection as any anime TV show I have seen.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The most recent show on my list. So much has been written pro and con about this show, I'll just say that while, due to my huge backlog, usually anything new I buy goes on the pile, sometimes for years, this one didn't. When I got the first LE set I watched it immediately (my excuse was I wanted to check the dub which I found to be rather mediocre); when I got the second I watched the first 8 episodes then went to the fansubs to finish it since I could not wait 2 months to see how it ended. While it is not the first magical girl show to "go dark", I've never seen one do it like this.

Millennium Actress: I've seen all of Satoshi Kon's films (and Paranoia Agent) and, for me, this is his best. Based on the storyline about an old retired actress, I was expecting something more somber; instead I got a non-stop thrill ride and one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen.

Akira: The movie that made me an anime fan. Enough said.

Haibane Renmei: When I first started watching this, I had no idea it would end up on my very short list of masterpieces, especially given that the action highlight was a girl chasing some kids around with a frying pan for not eating their vegtables. It just kept getting better and better till one of the best climaxes I've seen in anime. A thought-provoking show that is overdue for a rewatch.

Excel Saga: This is still the funniest anime I've ever seen. It was also my first taste of the kind of self-referential parody that abounds in anime, but is rarely done as well as it is here.

Boogiepop Phantom: When I first started buying anime DVDs, I mostly stuck with movies and OVAs since buying a series as single discs was too expensive (since I had no way to check stuff out before buying back then). The box sets for this and Martian Successor Nadesico were the first TV shows I purchased, and this one remains a favorite. I've watched it 3-4 times and each time enjoyed it more.

Read or Die OVA: Another early purchase which has held up as a favorite of mine. Too bad the TV show wasn't this good.

Honorable mentions: Porco Rosso (another great film from Miyazaki), Lucky Star (my most-watched show by far), Cowboy Bebop (one really lame episode keeping it off the Top Ten) and Armored Trooper Votoms (really cheap animation lets this one down a bit).

#48327 - 02/13/13 06:56 PM Re: Top Ten List [Re: oldcharlie55]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Kino's Journey is the viewer's journey. It's in a league of it's own to be sure. To me, the characters really shine in PMMM. I don't think of it as bending the genre, so mush as elevating it. Akira was also important in my formative days as an anime fan. I even picked up the CD Soundtrack at a Gen Con in the 90's. Excel Saga is awesome. Pedro steals the show.

#48397 - 02/15/13 08:48 PM Re: Top Ten List [Re: kiku]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Pennsylvania
My top 10 or so of the moment (in no particular order):
Blassreiter
Nabari no Ou
Pandora Hearts
Shonen Onmyouji
Junjou Romantica
Antique Bakery
Black Butler
Casshern Sins
Tactics
Tiger and Bunny
Buso Renkin
Almost forgot:
Natsume's Book of Friends
Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee

Edited by sevi (02/15/13 08:50 PM)

#48410 - 02/16/13 08:18 AM Re: Top Ten List [Re: BWBODDY]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: BWBODDY
MY TOP TEN
1. Crest/Banner of the Stars Trilogy ( My Sentimental Favorite )
2. Ghost in the Shell
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Gunslinger Girl
5. Elfen Lied
6. Serial Experiments Lain
7. Samurai 7
8. RIN -Daughter of Mnemosyne-
9. WITCHBLADE
10. NOIR - MADLAX - EL CAZADOR De La Bruja ( Bee Trains Girls with Guns Trilogy )
& plus ten
11. Original Dirty Pair ( all of the English Dub stuff )
12. Black Lagoon
13. FLAG
14. Ergo Proxy
15. Witch Hunter Robin
16. TRIGUN
17. GOLGO 13
18. Bubblegum Crisis ( the Series, Ova's & it's spin off's as a whole )
19. Ninja Nonsense
20. Cat Planet Cuties

Man itís a hard choice, anyone of those Bottom Ten could slide right into a Top Ten spot crazy
But the Banner of the Stars Trilogy would stay at #1 for the reason given.
*It was the Series that made me an Anime Fan*

Edited by BWBODDY (02/16/13 11:35 AM)

Page 20 of 29 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28 29 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.