Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#48252 - 02/12/13 06:46 PM Re: Gundam - Series/Episode Question [Re: Cheap One]
joelgundam01 Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: Cheap One
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
No one has acquired the franchise rights for N.A.? You'd think that one would get snatched up in a hurry.
You would think, but that isn't the case.

There are a lot of catches involved when it comes to the Gundam Franchise and the anime companies are going to have a hard time getting around them.

Advertisement
#48254 - 02/12/13 06:49 PM Re: Gundam - Series/Episode Question [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Fear not friends. Remember that you are the customer, and you have the power. By choosing to buy the dubbed versions of anime when available (B Dub) and choosing to not buy the exorbitantly priced imports and Aniplex editions (Manhiem); YOU show the market what's up... in theory anyhow.

#48258 - 02/12/13 07:01 PM Re: Gundam - Series/Episode Question [Re: kiku]
joelgundam01 Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku
Fear not friends. Remember that you are the customer, and you have the power. By choosing to buy the dubbed versions of anime when available (B Dub) and choosing to not buy the exorbitantly priced imports and Aniplex editions (Manhiem); YOU show the market what's up... in theory anyhow.

In a niche market, that can backfire. It can also send the message that you just don't want the title period.

#48284 - 02/13/13 04:04 AM Re: Gundam - Series/Episode Question [Re: Stefanie]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
EDIT: An interesting aspect of this...

Originally Posted By: ANN
But at this point, little is set in stone. Only one thing is clear: the role of a distributor for anime in North America is changing, and some well-equipped licensors can now cut them out of the process entirely, if they choose. Japanese publishers can now create Blu-rays with English subtitles, ready to import to English speakers worldwide. While those won't sell as many copies as American-produced discs, the higher price point and lack of middleman can still result in a decent amount of revenue with little additional cost. Bandai Visual Japan recently discovered this for themselves with their release of Gundam Unicorn. "They found the results pretty good, and that's how I think they would like to move forwards," Iyadomi says.

I'd probably do that myself, but if this becomes standard practice, I suppose English dubs will become the rare exception rather than the rule.

Well, looking at Bandai's Gundam Unicorn release, they seem to have included an English dub on both the Japanese Blu-Ray and the US DVD release based on Rightstuf's entries for them.
But I also wouldn't be surprised if in the future there will also be cases where there's a Japanese Blu-Ray release with English subs and a US DVD release that includes a dub, at which point people have to pick what they prioritize: picture quality or dub...
(with maybe a US Blu-Ray release with dub at a later point after reverse-importation is no longer a worry. Hmm, IIRC there have also been 1 or more cases of "release a US Blu-Ray early, but with just English audio and no Japanese to make it irrelevant for reverse-importation".)

Back to Gundam Unicorn: for the remaining episodes on DVD I'll probably end up importing the Australian or Japanese version. Madman lists dub and sub for their R4 DVDs, Amazon JP lists "subtitled" for the R2JP DVDs, but I'm guessing they also include the dub; it would be rather silly to exclude a dub from the DVD if it's already on the Blu-Ray...
(But I'm Dutch, so having a dub or not doesn't matter to me, since I'll alway go for the sub. wink )

#48301 - 02/13/13 12:26 PM Re: Gundam - Series/Episode Question [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
joelgundam01 Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: SD Maruko-kun
Well, looking at Bandai's Gundam Unicorn release, they seem to have included an English dub on both the Japanese Blu-Ray and the US DVD release based on Rightstuf's entries for them.

The DVD release was done by Bandai Entertainment (through a separate license), while the Blu-ray release was handled by Japan. Yes, Japan dubbed this one, but it was more of an experiment than anything else.

Edited by joelgundam01 (02/13/13 12:27 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.