Start Shopping! Cart
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#48184 - 02/11/13 01:56 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: BWBODDY]
nativetan88 Offline
UPSF Ensign

Originally Posted By: BWBODDY
Originally Posted By: nativetan88
I used to watch anime on and off for the past two years, but I just recently really got into it. I don't really know of any anime out there besides the most mainstream ones (Dragon ball Z, Naruto, Bleach, etc) I would really appreciate it if some of the more experienced anime fans out there could suggest some series to me and show me what I've been missing. Feel free to suggest manga as well if you'd like, I enjoy both.

Welcome to theForum nativetan88 grin

Manhiem is right, if you could tell us, what you like you'd be surpirzed
at just how much is out there.

Are you looking for the one’s that are like Dragon ball Z, Naruto, Bleach, etc…..

Do you think you’d like Space Based ones ?
Harem type: one guy, lots of girls
Fan Service: Lots of T&A

Just think about what you like, and there is an Anime’s that will fit the Bill.
Everything from sweet and cuddly G rated
To
Down and dirty 18+

P.S.
Everything that's been recommended so far is fantastic stuff

I am very open minded, feel free to suggest anything you'd like. I want people to suggest all kinds of shows to me from varying genres because I want to try out all the different genres of anime out there.I don't want people to just suggest me anime based on what I've seen so far because I've seen very little and I feel that if I am suggested shows that are similar or the same as what I've already seen, i'll be missing out on what all the other genres of anime have to offer.

If anyone reading this feels that I must tell them my favorite genres before giving me an answer then I will. My favorite genres of non anime shows/movies are comedy, drama, and I also enjoy a good romance. The reason I say "non anime" is because I feel that our culture and the Japanese culture are very different and because of this we both take different routes with each of these genres. I feel the comedy in an anime would be a lot different than the comedy in a movie or t.v. show you'd see here in Canada, same goes for the other genres I listed. With this thought in mind it could be very possible that you guys suggest me a ton of comedy anime, for example, and I don't like the style of comedy that anime uses. Now this is just a thought and I could be wrong and if I am feel free to let me know cause like I said, I have very little knowledge when it comes to anime, but that's another reason I would like you guys to just suggest me your favorite anime or anime that you think any fan should see instead of just basing your suggestions of off what I've already seen or the genres I like in Canadian culture, that way I can try everything out and see what I like myself.

With that said, I would like to thank everyone who has answered so far. I am very excited to try out all of the shows I've been recommended laugh feel free to keep the suggestions coming as well!

Edited by nativetan88 (02/11/13 01:57 PM)

Advertisement
#48187 - 02/11/13 03:08 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: nativetan88]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
Thanks for your reply. smile

Since you like romances and comedies, you could try Ai Yori Aoshi, ToraDora, Kanon, and/or Love Hina.

For drama, if you like sci/fi, I'd recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons) and Solid State Society. These are police-type shows set in a future where many (if not most) people have cybernetic implants

And I should have mentioned Bunny Drop earlier. It's a little more expensive, and it's sub-only, but it's definitely worth a watch. I should also have mentioned The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, though the company that owns the rights has closed its doors in North America, and I'm not sure whether you can find it at a reasonable price anymore.

Edited by Manhiem (02/11/13 03:13 PM)

#48191 - 02/11/13 04:42 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: EricDent]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: EricDent
How about these?

Soul Eater
D Grey Man
Death Note
Kenichi The Mightest Disciple

Those are some recent Shonen action type shows.

I also suggest that you make a list of what you liked about those shows you list, and maybe other shows you are considering.

Other than that I suggest these as well:

Birdie The Mighty Decode
School Rumble
Black Lagoon
Haibane Renmei
Slayers
Of EricDent's suggestions, I can vouch for:

Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple
Birdy The Mighty: Decode
Black Lagoon

#48192 - 02/11/13 04:50 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: nativetan88]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I don't want to bog you down with a kerjillion suggestions (I love anime!), but here's a few:

Gunslinger Girl - One of my all time favorites. It gets pretty dark at times, rough stuff; and political to boot... but the "girls" are memorable. It almost brought tears to my eyes... but I'm too tough for that.

Azumangah Daioh - A must see from the "slice of life" genre. There used to be a time when I wouldn't touch "slice of life". Once you meet Chiyo-chan, there's no turning back.

High School Of The Dead - Extreme... well... extreme everything.

Kurenai - A genre buster that stole my heart. It defies description.

#48195 - 02/11/13 10:16 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: nativetan88]
formerroadie Offline
UPSF Commander

Loc: Texas... in other words, Hell
Steins;Gate = One of the best anime EVER!

#48211 - 02/12/13 05:35 AM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: nativetan88]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
If you konw what series you like, and you want more similar ones, you can throw your series at http://www.anime-planet.com and it will suggest what the site's users think are series "similar" to the series you entered.
If you're looking for a particular genre, the "genre" search of http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ might be of help.

#48220 - 02/12/13 10:44 AM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: nativetan88]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
You might want to search for threads where we list our favorites... Top 10 and such. That'll give you some good ideas. Some titles that I would suggest to get you started...

Cowboy Bebop
Noir
Black Lagoon
Fruits Basket
Rin - Daughters Of Mnemosyne
Gunslinger Girl
Diamond Daydreams
Read Or Die
Baccano!
Elfen Lied
Rurouni Kenshin
Akira
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Rahxephon

#48225 - 02/12/13 12:07 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: Stefanie]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
You might want to search for threads where we list our favorites... Top 10 and such. That'll give you some good ideas.

Ah, I finally found some of the topics.

Top 10 Lists

Essential Anime

Classic Anime

Rare Anime

Worst Anime

Sad/Upsetting Anime

Christmas Anime

Favorite Gundam Series

Opening and Closing Themes That You Don't Skip

Intro/Outro

The "Search" feature doesn't usually work for me. To manually browse through the topics list, down at the bottom of the topic list, you'll need to set "Display Options" to "Show Topics - from all dates" to see everything. smile

#48230 - 02/12/13 12:32 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: nativetan88]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Here are my top 5 favorites and I always recommend them to newbies. smile

1.) Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
2.) The Twelve Kingdoms
3.) Black Lagoon
4.) Darker Than Black
5.) Spice & Wolf

#48232 - 02/12/13 12:34 PM Re: New to anime and would greatly appreciate some suggestions on what to watch. [Re: Stefanie]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
You might want to search for threads where we list our favorites... Top 10 and such. That'll give you some good ideas. Some titles that I would suggest to get you started...

Cowboy Bebop
Noir
Black Lagoon
Fruits Basket
Rin - Daughters Of Mnemosyne
Gunslinger Girl
Diamond Daydreams
Read Or Die
Baccano!
Elfen Lied
Rurouni Kenshin
Akira
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Rahxephon

That's a good mix... smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.