Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#26480 - 09/10/11 02:44 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
DragonQuest 8 (the one with the Cursed King) was such a fun game.

I have a very nostalgic game as well (though I barely remember what happened in the game) that is Earthbound for the SNES.

Another fun one (that was not too hard) was Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

Of course my personal favorite Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy 9.
I liked the retro character looks, the story, and it was pretty fun as well.

One if the worst RPGs IMO is DragonQuest Realms of Revalation for the DS.
The game itself is pretty darn short, but they attempted to "make up for it" by adding a bunch of annoying random dungeons with uber-bosses, which just give you another map to another random dungeon (and so on, etc).

Advertisement
#26481 - 09/10/11 02:48 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
BTW "Mystic Quest" was essentially a Final Fantasy training game. Most people were so unused to rpgs back then... because rpgs were new. Mystic Quest was sort of a soft landing into Final Fantasy games. Funny thing was, it was a great game in and of itself. I've still got a copy on my game shelf.

Favorite Weapon: Dragon Claw (badass and functional)

#26800 - 09/16/11 09:52 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
It's interesting how that aspect of Dragon Age II attracts some and disappoints others. smile

Yes, I'm well into DA2 now, and while I like it just fine and I'm having fun with it, I prefer Dragon Age: Origins. I miss DAO's inventory system and the way in which DAO's specialization/talent/skill branches were set up.

In DAO, I can amuse myself for hours getting all nitpicky about various weapons, armor sets, and accessories. Some people considered that a bother, but for me, it's a pleasure. In DA2, the inventory is more restricted, automatic, and straight-forward.

The skills, spells, talents, etc. are very streamlined in DA2, and I miss the comprehensive layout in DAO. I prefer scrolling through all of them in one view, and the linear progression from the weaker skills to the stronger skills. In DA2, it's simplified, but you can only see one skill branch at a time, as you toggle through the sets.

In DA2, the game play itself feels more like Fallout 3 than DAO. The graphics are crisper, and the movement and combat have more of a tactile, responsive, hands-on feel. It's like the difference between the ride of a Rolls Royce (DAO) versus a Mercedes (DA2, F3). This is one area where I think DA2 is an improvement over DAO.

As for the story, in DAO, from the very start, you have the feeling that your character is destined for greatness beyond imagination, and it turns out to be true. Even in the Dwarf and Elf commoner origins, you can sense that from very early in the game, and as your reputation grows, good guys treat you like a rock star and bad guys cower at the mention of your name. In DA2, there's more of a blue collar identity to your character. Even if you do earn a reputation as a badass, you're still just an average Jane/Joe for much of the game, and you aren't shown much respect. It's a lot more "street" than DAO.

Once you get passed the intro story and character creation, the game is very easy to jump into without a lot of fussy maintenance or even reading the manual. You can turn in-game instructions on/off at will, so you can let the game teach you all you'll need to know as you go along.

Like I said, I prefer DAO, but I don't dislike DA2. DA2 is similar to DAO, but not a clone of DAO.

Currently working on DAO (need to start the "Landsmeet" questline) and have to agree, it's a fun game. It does give you the freedom to choose your weapons, armor, etc. which i greatly enjoy. I like to take an RPG and take my time with it and not be rushed into finishing the questline.

Even tho i haven't completed the main storyline i have looked into DA2 a little bit and have to admit that i'm on the fence about it. I didn't get the same vibe about that one as i did with the first one. So for the moment it's on hold.

#26814 - 09/16/11 12:51 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: stargates]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Ah, cool! Which origin did you choose?

I tend to rush through an action/survival game like Resident Evil pretty fast, but like you, I enjoy slowing things down in an RPG and exploring all of the little side stories. With DA2, you still feel like you're in the same world, but the focus is a lot narrower, the gameplay more streamlined, and the vibe is much more "street" (to quote myself) than DAO.

#26823 - 09/16/11 08:41 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Ah, cool! Which origin did you choose?

I cheated and started them all just long enough so that it would come up as having shown that i completed them all! grin

However the main story that i'm going with at the moment is the Human Noble and the Dalish Elf charaters.

I tend to rush through an action/survival game like Resident Evil pretty fast, but like you, I enjoy slowing things down in an RPG and exploring all of the little side stories. With DA2, you still feel like you're in the same world, but the focus is a lot narrower, the gameplay more streamlined, and the vibe is much more "street" (to quote myself) than DAO.

Yeah, i find that i enjoy the game more if you just take your time going through it. True sometimes the little side quests can be a pain but in the end i find that feel better having done them anyway. The biggest gripe i have with the game is that once you clear a cave/cavern and then go back, there are no enemies to re-fight and help level you're character up some more. In other RPG's like Morrowind, Oblivion, FFX-2 you can always go back and refight to help level up.

The copy of DAO i have came as a two disc set. The first disc has the game and the second disc has all of the DLC that went with it. I've done only a couple of side quests(Awakening and Lelianna's Song i believe are the only ones so far) from the DLC and want to do more but i'd like my characters to be leveled up a little more than they are now (currently 20 & 19) before continuing on, even tho i'm really itching to go ahead and start one anyway.

#26835 - 09/17/11 03:04 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Yeah that Dragon Claw in Mystic Quest was pretty cool.
IIRC a couple times it would insta-kill (just slice in half) some random monsters. Speaking of monsters this is one of those games you could see where the monsters were hiding out, so if you wanted to you could avoid them (but then beating the bosses were kind of tough). One time I killed every single monster in the game to see how powerful the party would become, IIRC we beat the last boss in about 3 turns (using Flare, Dragon Claw, & just attacking).

BTW one of the most unclimatic battles in Final Fantasy 7 was the very last battle with Sephiroth, where Cloud just gets his Limit Break automatically and used Multi-Slash for 9999 damage each hit.

#26843 - 09/17/11 03:45 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

One of the tragedies of that game is that you had to be "in the know" about a lot of things to accomplish some of the cooler things. Granted, there was a possibility that you might successfully meet Yuffie randomly in the lonely patch of woods and say the right things. Granted, you might get Cait Sith into your party and find a powerful megaphone for him. Without the guidebook though; the chances of adding Vincent to your party, breeding a black Chocobo, or acquiring Knights Of The Round were slim. I never did beat that uber powerful Weapon at the bottom of the ocean... you know; where you can't breath!

FFV was one of my faves.

#26954 - 09/19/11 09:48 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: kiku]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Funny, but I didn't seem to have any trouble with those things in FF7, without a guide. Maybe I was just lucky and didn't realize it. I always liked the "Turks" in that game. Those guys were so cute. lol

#26958 - 09/19/11 10:15 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: stargates]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: stargates
I cheated and started them all just long enough so that it would come up as having shown that i completed them all! grin

Same here. I enjoyed the various origins, though. Playing all of them gives you a better understanding of the way things work in Ferelden. Plus, most of them are entertaining.

However the main story that i'm going with at the moment is the Human Noble and the Dalish Elf charaters.

The ones I actually played through are 1) Female Human Mage (raised in the Tower), 2) Male Human Warrior Noble, 3) Female Human Rogue Noble. The first two characters also went completely through "Awakening," and I also created a Female Human Warrior just for "Awakening."

Even though my first character was a Mage, I gave her very high strength and built her as a Battle Mage, so that she could hack & slash with the best armor and swords, right from the start. If things got too rough, she could always bail out with offensive spells. She was a Blood Mage, too. I played her as a good guy, but she was arrogant and had an "ends justify the means" approach to getting the job done.

My Male Warrior was a "by the book," "law and order" type of good guy, who's personality was a little on the stiff side, but he always tried to do the right things, the right way. My Female Rogue was a self-serving rascal who was always looking for trouble and slept with everyone she could, even during the origin story.

The biggest gripe i have with the game is that once you clear a cave/cavern and then go back, there are no enemies to re-fight and help level you're character up some more. In other RPG's like Morrowind, Oblivion, FFX-2 you can always go back and refight to help level up.

I actually applaud Dragon Age for that, because it eliminates the need for grinding. You naturally level up as you need to, just by playing through the game. I much prefer that to the Final Fantasy VII approach, where you can't take two steps across the world map without getting into another repetitive battle, and you can't advance much unless you spend hours fighting like that. DAO and DA2 are well-balanced in that respect. You're always as powerful as you need to be.

...i'd like my characters to be leveled up a little more than they are now (currently 20 & 19) before continuing on, even tho i'm really itching to go ahead and start one anyway.

I wouldn't worry about that. Just go ahead and play what you want, when you want. You'll level up without even noticing.

#26965 - 09/19/11 11:05 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Funny, but I didn't seem to have any trouble with those things in FF7, without a guide. Maybe I was just lucky and didn't realize it. I always liked the "Turks" in that game. Those guys were so cute. lol
I didn't have a guide either. What I did have, was one of those friends. You know, the one who just has to tell you about everything before you do it. "Go here go here, now do this do this." laugh

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.