Start Shopping! Cart
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#21573 - 03/12/11 06:29 AM What's your favorite RPG game?
dinkygreg Offline
UPSF Ensign

Loc: Texas
Hello friends..
I just joined the forums even though I have been visiting it regular. Well, I am a huge fan of RPG games and my most favorite RPG is Final Fantasy. I love the story line and the sphere grid system. I also like how I can switch party members in mid-battle. Let's share if you guys have any favorite RPG games or series.

Cheers.

Advertisement
#21574 - 03/12/11 10:30 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
My favorite RPG is The Legend of Dragoon (PS1). It's an old one, but it was the game that got me into the genre.

#21575 - 03/12/11 11:53 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: joelgundam01]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
Which Final Fanatsy? There are a lot of them & they all differ quite a bit from one another.

Fallout 3 is a huge recent favorite of mine.
Final Fantasy VII (when it was new) was a huge favorite of mine.
& I Recall really loving Secret Of Evermore.

Pretty much anything from the Zelda series is perfection,.. If you'll count it. Sure, they're adventure gams, but the stories are typically incredibly gripping.
I'd say the same about the Half Life series in spite of the fact that they are FPS titles.

#21585 - 03/14/11 08:42 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Agreed on Zelda, though like Gevin, I tend to classify it as Adventure.

Demon's Souls (PS3) is an Adventure/RPG hybrid, and calling it an "Action RPG" doesn't accurately describe it, as it's rather unique. Anyway, it has passed Gorf (arcade), Adventure (2600), Zelda (series), and Tomb Raider (PS1) as my favorite all-around video game of all-time; so if it counts as an RPG, Demon's Souls is my favorite RPG.

As for games clearly in the RPG category, it used to be the Phantasy Star series (first three on SMS and Genesis), then Final Fantasy VII (PS1) took the spot, and now it's the Dragon Age series (PS3, in my case).

#21587 - 03/14/11 10:27 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
Have you started on Dragon Age 2 yet?
I hear that it's a lot more accessible than the first. That prospect lures me in a bit.

#21594 - 03/15/11 11:23 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

It's interesting how that aspect of Dragon Age II attracts some and disappoints others. smile

Yes, I'm well into DA2 now, and while I like it just fine and I'm having fun with it, I prefer Dragon Age: Origins. I miss DAO's inventory system and the way in which DAO's specialization/talent/skill branches were set up.

In DAO, I can amuse myself for hours getting all nitpicky about various weapons, armor sets, and accessories. Some people considered that a bother, but for me, it's a pleasure. In DA2, the inventory is more restricted, automatic, and straight-forward.

The skills, spells, talents, etc. are very streamlined in DA2, and I miss the comprehensive layout in DAO. I prefer scrolling through all of them in one view, and the linear progression from the weaker skills to the stronger skills. In DA2, it's simplified, but you can only see one skill branch at a time, as you toggle through the sets.

In DA2, the game play itself feels more like Fallout 3 than DAO. The graphics are crisper, and the movement and combat have more of a tactile, responsive, hands-on feel. It's like the difference between the ride of a Rolls Royce (DAO) versus a Mercedes (DA2, F3). This is one area where I think DA2 is an improvement over DAO.

As for the story, in DAO, from the very start, you have the feeling that your character is destined for greatness beyond imagination, and it turns out to be true. Even in the Dwarf and Elf commoner origins, you can sense that from very early in the game, and as your reputation grows, good guys treat you like a rock star and bad guys cower at the mention of your name. In DA2, there's more of a blue collar identity to your character. Even if you do earn a reputation as a badass, you're still just an average Jane/Joe for much of the game, and you aren't shown much respect. It's a lot more "street" than DAO.

Once you get passed the intro story and character creation, the game is very easy to jump into without a lot of fussy maintenance or even reading the manual. You can turn in-game instructions on/off at will, so you can let the game teach you all you'll need to know as you go along.

Like I said, I prefer DAO, but I don't dislike DA2. DA2 is similar to DAO, but not a clone of DAO.

#25613 - 08/25/11 12:57 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Speaking of DA2, I just picked up another PSN card, so I'll finally get around to buying the latest DLC tonight ("Legacy" came out in July, and a new weapons pack just came out a couple of days ago). I had my PS3 trophies at 100%, but now they're back down to 90%, so I can't allow that. lol

Also today, after a few weeks of mulling it over, I bought Record Of Agarest War Zero (Limited Edition). It received mixed reviews, but players seem to favor it more than critics. I haven't played a good Eastern-style RPG since Final Fantasy VII & X, but this one looks like it might be interesting. When White Knight Chronicles came out last year, I considered that, but from what I read it didn't sound like what I wanted. The first Record Of Agarest War was available on PS3 only as a digital download or European import disc, so I'm glad this one was actually released on disc, domestically.

I finished my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 a few weeks ago, but I'm still working on the second playthrough. I'm glad I finally got it, and I'm looking forward to ME3 next March.

Despite my beef with Bethesda over sloppy programming, I'm seriously considering giving Fallout: New Vegas a shot, now that it's only $19.99. I still can't forgive Bethesda, but I do love the Fallout universe, even though it took me a while to warm up to it. I just hope FNV doesn't crash as much as F3.

Dark Souls is a little over a month away. It's been pre-ordered, and I've set aside plenty of time for it. smile

#25619 - 08/25/11 06:24 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
[color:#330099]As for games clearly in the RPG category, it used to be the Phantasy Star series (first three on SMS and Genesis)
OMG! Somebody else who's played the old school Phantasy Star Games! Phantasy Star II was my favorite. I never could figure out how to beat the games final boss on Dezo (the moon). He was so badass and huge that he covered up his own stats, so you never knew how close you were to beating him, or if you were even hurting him for that matter. It was kinda funny, he was the final boss of a game which was of epic scope (for it's time) and you found him in what looked like a regular chest. Oh hey, a chest; I think I'll open it and see what kind of goodies it's got. I sure could use a healing (res) potion... OMG I've opened Pandora's Box!

No matter how many times I wen't into the weapons shop and bought something from the rocker with the insane red hair, I never got tired of the music.

I guess it's available for the iphone as of last year. crazy Sometimes I feel like the world is whizzing right past me.

#25637 - 08/26/11 09:05 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: kiku]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

You have a good memory, because I remember very few details of those three games, even though I beat them all. I remember the first one the most, mainly running through the underground tunnels and killing monsters that look like gumdrops, and buying "cola" from the merchants. At the time, navigating those tunnels was a unique experience in video games. The only thing I remember from 2 & 3 is the church bells that ring whenever you go to a temple. I always liked that.

#25662 - 08/26/11 12:02 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Phantasy Star II was the 1st game that I ever played where 1 of the protagonists dies. I was devastated. I mean actually emotionally upset. I understand where you're coming from in reference to your experience with Phantasy Star I. I've only played it a little bit on the "Phantasy Star Collection" Gameboy Advance Edition which features I, II, & III. I remember the tunnels. 3D before it was 3D. I think it's liberating to see the scope of the advancement of technology from a standpoint in time. This allows you to see that just because there are flash animations on the web with far greater technology, it doesn't make your experience in the tunnels of Phantasy Star any less special.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.