Start Shopping! Cart
Topic Options
#46206 - 12/15/12 03:50 AM Spice and Wolf Novels, worth buying? (possible spoilers)
Wise Silver Wolf Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Florida, USA
I really liked the Spice and Wolf series (Season 1 & 2) but the ending kind of left alot to be desired since the journey wasnt really complete. I first thought about buying the novels about a week or two ago when someone posted a cover on volume 8 with what looked like Holo and Lawrence's child on the cover and it peaked my interest:

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/2rnd7bq.jpg[/img]

Has anyone on here been keeping up with the manga? is it worth buying? the price seems pretty attractive right now on Rightstuf at only $6.99 per volume. Considering the type of series that it is (slice of life, very little action or fighting) is it fun to read? or is it something that is better to watch?

My Figure Collection

Advertisement
#46210 - 12/15/12 10:43 AM Re: Spice and Wolf Novels, worth buying? (possible spoilers) [Re: Wise Silver Wolf]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I own the light novels. To me it is very enjoyable to read and so far it appears Yen Press will follow it to the end. So no need to really worry about never getting to finish the story.

#46227 - 12/15/12 07:39 PM Re: Spice and Wolf Novels, worth buying? (possible spoilers) [Re: Wise Silver Wolf]
LaughingMan Offline

Loc: Niagara Falls. Canada
I have #7 currently in the mail!

First, you'll find that the anime followed the novels very well. Secondly, you'll likely find the novels even better after having seen the anime, as the characteristics of Holo and Lawrence - along with their interactions - are more pronounced.

Maybe it's just me, but after having seen the anime, you already have a blueprint for what the world and characters look like in your mind as you read, so it's even easier to visualize things as they carry out in the books.

However poorly I might try to word it though, I can surely say the light novels are really worth it. If you are a fan of Spice and Wolf and like reading, they're a great buy. (also, the anime covers only 4 of the first 5 books, so 3 of 7 currently available books are new content)

#46237 - 12/15/12 11:51 PM Re: Spice and Wolf Novels, worth buying? (possible spoilers) [Re: Wise Silver Wolf]
Wise Silver Wolf Offline

Thanks for the info smile btw are the pages like a book or like a manga? what I mean by that is if the novels are more like a harry potter book for example (no pictures, just text) or a manga (blocks of pictures with text).

My Figure Collection

#46238 - 12/15/12 11:57 PM Re: Spice and Wolf Novels, worth buying? (possible spoilers) [Re: Wise Silver Wolf]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

There is a Spice & Wolf Manga if you are wanting that Joel who posts here does give the manga high praise.

As for your question the Light Novels do have a few pictures, though it is largely a novel which is mainly just pages full of words like you would see in any novel in your normal bookstore.

#46251 - 12/16/12 02:23 AM Re: Spice and Wolf Novels, worth buying? (possible spoilers) [Re: Cheap One]
joelgundam01 Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: Cheap One
There is a Spice & Wolf Manga if you are wanting that Joel who posts here does give the manga high praise.

I can't recommend the manga enough. Just a fair warning though, the manga is way behind the light novels.

The first three volumes of the manga cover the first volume (aka arc) of the light novels, while the second arc took another three volumes to complete. Volume 7 jumps to arc 4, since arc 3 isn't really that important.

The anime covers the following arcs/volumes of the light novels.

Episodes 1-6: Volume 1
Episode 7: Original Episode
Episodes 8-13 (and episode 0 of season 2): Volume 2
Episodes 14-19: Volume 3
Episodes 20-25: Volume 5

The anime skipped volume/arc 4 of the light novels due to budget (a lot of action) and it's considered to be the best out of the whole series.

Note: Each volume of the Light Novels is considered as an arc.

Edited by joelgundam01 (12/16/12 01:30 PM)

#46259 - 12/16/12 01:00 PM Re: Spice and Wolf Novels, worth buying? (possible spoilers) [Re: Wise Silver Wolf]
Wise Silver Wolf Offline

Thanks for the info guys smile I think ill go with the manga instead of the light novels, its more entertaining to read if there are pictures to look at instead of just reading text.

My Figure Collection

#47024 - 01/13/13 03:06 AM Re: Spice and Wolf Novels, worth buying? (possible spoilers) [Re: Wise Silver Wolf]
shinjiyo Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I'd go for all three... anime/ light novel/ manga... =D

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.