Start Shopping! Cart
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#45906 - 12/08/12 08:11 PM Manga you want to see licensed?
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
I decided to post this here, since this is more a wish list thread than a request thread for Right Stuf's POD (print on demand) line.

Which licenses do you want to see be acquired by the major manga distributors (Viz, Yen Press, Kodansha, Seven Seas, Dark Horse, etc...)?

Advertisement
#45907 - 12/08/12 08:14 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I'll get the ball rolling with my top 3.

1.) Freezing: The anime is not bad, but the manga is far superior in my opinion and the recent chapters are finally revealing a lot of the characters' actual pasts (especially Kazuya's).

2.) Birdy The Mighty (Remake): After watching Decode, I decided to check out the original source material. Boy was I thrown in for a loop. The anime is a really rough adaptation at best. The original manga was only one volume long and was a shonen title, while the remake is a seinen title with 20 volumes and a sequel (Evolution) running at 14 volumes long. The anime (Decode) takes the concept of the original shonen title and follows some of the story plot lines in the remake.

In this remake, Birdy looks much older (adult age) and is really sexed up. Also she isn't afraid of showing it off (lots of nudity). Tsutomu Senkawa is also a bit older (16 instead of 14) in this version. Also, two major characters from the anime (Sayaka Nakasugi and Nataru Shinmyou) don't exist in the manga. In fact, Nataru's character design is based off of Tsutomu's older character design in the manga. Many of the side characters in the anime actually play much larger roles in the manga and it's far more brutal. I'm really hooked on this title and I hope someone will pick it up.

3.) Unbreakable Machine Doll: This is a very interesting action title with some of the cleanest art that I've seen. The title is set in the 1800 hundred where magic users use Automatons to do their bidding. It's a very interesting story with very likable characters. Most of you guys will love Yaya and Char.

#45914 - 12/09/12 12:25 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Very good topic idea. I'll have to think about this a little and get a list together.

#45920 - 12/09/12 02:43 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
trunkschan90 Offline
UPSF Ensign

Here's my list of manga I want to see licensed:
Glass Mask
009 Re: Cyborg
Moribito
Gokusen
Rose of Versailles
Polar Bear Cafe
Chibi Maruko-chan
Chihayafuru
Ace wo Nerae
Yawara!

#46818 - 01/06/13 08:54 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
I'm a cyclops Offline
UPSF Ensign

Viz needs to add Ushio and Tora and Ghost Sweeper Mikami to their Shounen Sunday lines. Both are really great mangas that feature yokai, action, and comedy. Ushio and Tora can be best described as Calvin and Hobbes (The titular duo make it quite obvious) meets YuYu Hakusho and Ghost Sweeper Mikami can be seen as Ghost Busters but with a sexy heroine (Reiko Mikami gives characters like Yoruichi, Tsunade, and Boa Hancock a run for their money in the department of sexiness) and her two sidekicks, one a perverted young man and the other an innocent ghost.

I also don't see why Viz never licensed Kongou Banchou. It's a nice new school action manga with an old school formula similar to Toriko. It's only 12 volumes long so they could easily put it out with no problems.

Riki-Oh's another title I'd like to see brought over. Most are familiar with the live action film but not many know the original source. It would fit Dark Horse's catalogue pretty well due to their penchant for licensing more graphic stuff. The Outlaw Star manga would fit as well.

#47023 - 01/13/13 03:01 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
shinjiyo Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Minnesota
Hajime no Ippo, no doubt...
History strongest Disciple Kenichi... -because I love martial art and that's the only thing next to anime and drawing that I really can get into-

Can't really think of any other ones now since I'm at work but yeah those to for now are my top two... =D

#48180 - 02/11/13 10:24 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
NewOldSchool Offline
UPSF Ensign

I know this is a bit dated and maybe a bit of a pipedream, but I would love to see The Irresponsible Captain Tylor translated. If anybody here agrees then please help and let RightStuf know we'd love to see it. I figure now might the right time since they've recently re-released the anime and interviewed the translator (Neil Nadelman) at length about how the novels tie into the series so maybe they would be interested in the project!!!

#48183 - 02/11/13 01:18 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: NewOldSchool]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: NewOldSchool
I know this is a bit dated and maybe a bit of a pipedream, but I would love to see The Irresponsible Captain Tylor translated. If anybody here agrees then please help and let RightStuf know we'd love to see it. I figure now might the right time since they've recently re-released the anime and interviewed the translator (Neil Nadelman) at length about how the novels tie into the series so maybe they would be interested in the project!!!

It'll probably remain as a pipe dream.

The biggest issue with novels is that they cost 10 times more to translate compared to a single volume of manga. Yen Press and Tokyopop have both expressed their frustrations on releasing novels up here in the past. There are only a handful of novel series that have done well up here (Spice & Wolf, Haruhi, 12 Kingdoms).

#48185 - 02/11/13 02:03 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
NewOldSchool Offline
UPSF Ensign

Then that's three perfectly good examples as to why they should consider it :P

#48212 - 02/12/13 05:45 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
12 kingdoms unfortunately not doing well enough to get license rescued after Tokyopop's collapse... frown
I guess the extra translation time is also why when it was being released, it was 1 book per year, compared to 4-6 per year for most manga.

I'd like to see a license rescue of some Del Rey, Bandai and Tokyopop titles, since I hate having incomplete series in my collection, highest priority for me being Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Moyashimon.

#48227 - 02/12/13 12:19 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: SD Maruko-kun
12 kingdoms unfortunately not doing well enough to get license rescued after Tokyopop's collapse... frown

You're right! The sales for the last volume that TP released were pretty average from what I've heard. And that's another problem with long series in general. The strongest sales are going to happen on the first couple of volumes. Each and additional volume release will see a decrease in sales. That's because you rarely get new fans that will start a title from the middle (they almost always start from volume 1) and many of the existing fans move on over time to something else.

#48247 - 02/12/13 04:36 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Pennsylvania
What I don't really understand is why Kodansha discontinued several titles like Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei when they took over Del Rey but kept several titles which had only a single volume out like Arisa. I would think it would be more difficult to assess potential sales on a series that only just started compared to an already established series.

#48257 - 02/12/13 06:56 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: sevi]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: sevi
What I don't really understand is why Kodansha discontinued several titles like Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei when they took over Del Rey but kept several titles which had only a single volume out like Arisa. I would think it would be more difficult to assess potential sales on a series that only just started compared to an already established series.

Low sales is the most likely reason for SZS. For titles like Arisa, the sales of the first volume were strong enough to give the title a shot and the results have been positive.

#48266 - 02/12/13 09:53 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Actually SZS sold well enough that it was consistently ranked in the NY Times Top Ten Manga List. I don't think Arisa has even cracked the list once. The only series Kondansha publishes which has more books on the list are Fairy Tail and Sailor Moon.

#48299 - 02/13/13 12:17 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: sevi]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Actually SZS sold well enough that it was consistently ranked in the NY Times Top Ten Manga List.

The NY Times Manga List is not very accurate and even NYT admits it. It only covers the sales through the distributors, which aren't really sales and more of just units shipped. SZS volumes could be getting some really high returns. This is what killed Tokyopop.

Top it all off, quite a few online stores do their own distributing and they don't supply their numbers to NYT.

#48326 - 02/13/13 06:36 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I'm willing to concede on some points. I just think that several of the titles that Kodansha dropped are better than some of the ones they picked up or kept on. Of course they're not as bad as Yen Press is right now with their having the majority of titles being American "manga".

#48333 - 02/14/13 05:04 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
The NY Times Manga List is not very accurate and even NYT admits it. It only covers the sales through the distributors, which aren't really sales and more of just units shipped. SZS volumes could be getting some really high returns. This is what killed Tokyopop.

Tokyopop having lots of returns was to great financial benefit of Dutch and Belgian manga fans: a traveling bookfair seems to have bought tens of thousands (or maybe even 100K+) of those Tokyopop returns (and later also from Del Rey), marked the top or bottom with a marker to indicate them being "surplus" and sold them for EUR 1.95 ($2.50) per volume over the years. I probably have 50+ of those marked/cheap volumes; it must have dented the sales of normal priced Tokyopop and Del Rey volumes a bit over here... (though if for ex. of a series vol. 1-3, 6-7 and 10 would be at the fair but not the others, regular sales of 4-5 and 8-9 must have jumped quite a bit from people who wouldn't have started the series otherwise... wink )
</off topic>

#48376 - 02/15/13 02:10 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

To bring myself more on topic, I'm hoping against hope that since Viz is rereleasing Please Save My Earth in digital they'll license the rights to Please Save My Earth Next Generation. Also, it would be great if another company bought the rights to Code Geass so they could release Renya of the Blackness.

#50896 - 04/14/13 02:01 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
ChaosBlade666 Offline

This might be a stupid question but ive looked everywhere and I can't find an answer so......Does anyone know if

Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai - the manga will be sold in English anytime soon?

#50897 - 04/14/13 02:03 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: ChaosBlade666]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: ChaosBlade666
This might be a stupid question but ive looked everywhere and I can't find an answer so......Does anyone know if

Nope! No one has licensed it yet from what I can tell.

#50898 - 04/14/13 02:12 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: ChaosBlade666

Nope! No one has licensed it yet from what I can tell.

Correct and I wouldn't hold my breathe for anyone too. As the anime didn't do very well on Crunchyroll. I'm starting to doubt Sentai will even release it on DVD.

#50899 - 04/14/13 05:43 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
ChaosBlade666 Offline

ah kk ty for letting me know^^

#51319 - 04/24/13 10:35 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: ChaosBlade666]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I'd love it if Twin Signal was licensed. If only because I just bought the anime.

#51370 - 04/25/13 08:22 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
ninjachad Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

The Heaven's Lost Property manga. Seriously, why isn't that licensed yet? cry I'd pre-order that in a heartbeat.

Edited by ninjachad (04/25/13 08:23 PM)

#51372 - 04/25/13 08:42 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: ninjachad]
kakashi12210 Offline
UPSF Commodore

Loc: West Virginia
Originally Posted By: ninjachad
The Heaven's Lost Property manga. Seriously, why isn't that licensed yet? cry I'd pre-order that in a heartbeat.

I've been wanting that to happen as soon as I watched the anime. I can't believe no one licensed it yet.

#51382 - 04/25/13 09:38 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Aw heck, I might even like to the flock of pantsu on the printed page.

#51605 - 05/01/13 08:43 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: kiku]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I'm really wanting Assassination Classroom right now. Any variety that can be brought to manga is really needed and this is a very unique series.

#51748 - 05/07/13 02:21 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
ninjachad Offline

Princess Jellyfish

#51798 - 05/08/13 06:05 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: ninjachad]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

It would be nice if someone would license the Zettai Karen Children manga. Though it's unlikely at this point since there's already 34 volumes and it's still ongoing >.<

#51893 - 05/11/13 03:18 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Sekainohate de Aimashou - This is more of a guilty pleasure. It's a unique gender bender title, where an all powerful prince from another world is saved by a high school boy (Ryouma) from a collapsing building. The prince decides to make him his wife by giving him a potion that heals his body and changes his gender. It's a pretty tamed title compared to other ecchi titles, but I really like the plot and how it's executed.

The Legend of Maian - Another Dall-Young Lim title, that I'm really enjoying. It's Fantasy Adventure title with a unique twist. The title contains a strong female lead and what appears to be another typical weak male lead. However, the truth is the male lead is actually the next god of war. I really don't want to explain much, because it would spoil the story. The plot is simple, but I really like the character development in this title.

Übel Blatt - This is an awesome Dark Fantasy title that has a Claymore vibe to it. There's quite a bit of back story that is explained in the first 3 chapters so bare with me. I'll put it into a spoiler just in case.

Click to reveal..
20 years prior to the story, a great war took place between 14 warriors (aka Lances) and an ultimate power/villain. During the war, 3 of the Lances died before the final battle. 7 of the Lances coward and ran away in front of the main villain, while the remaining 4 were able to kill the villain. However, things take a turn for the worst. The 7 cowards (I like to call them that) betrayed the 4 Lances who defeated the villain and killed them during their exhausted state. The 7 Cowards then returned to the emperor, took all of the glory (becoming the 7 Legendary Heroes) and claimed that the 4 Lances were the ones that betrayed them. This lie becomes the beginning of the corruption that plagues the land, because each one of these 7 heroes is plagued with one of the 7 deadly sins.

20 years later a half human, half elf hybrid named Koinzell appears. Koinzell is an elf who has fused with one of the 4 Lances that was murdered by the "7 Legendary Heroes". It's also noted that this Lance was the most powerful of all the Lances. A word of advice to those that murder someone. Make sure that they are actually dead before leaving or they will come for revenge. Koinzell only has one purpose, which is to erase the 7 Legendary Heroes from existence and it isn't a matter of if he can do it, but how he is going to do it?

I really like this title. The main character reminds me of Teressa from Claymore. A very powerful being that doesn't really have any equal, but yet is a very kind person to the weak and innocent. The story is really dark and Koinzell knows how to strike fear to his enemies (just by saying his real name), because they know they can't beat him.

Edited by joelgundam01 (05/11/13 03:25 PM)

#51915 - 05/12/13 02:30 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
aizengamer Offline
UPSF Ensign

I would love to see Denpa Kyoushi, The World God Only Knows, and Beelzebub.

#54407 - 07/05/13 09:39 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
ninjachad Offline

I'd really like to see Rozen Maiden license rescued.

#55428 - 07/30/13 12:20 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
Anemone Offline
UPSF Ensign

Loc: 502, KY
Lilim Kiss. I think it was 2001-2002 when I first found scanlations for it. I saw a picture of Lilim on an anime image site and loved her design. The image was saved as 'Lilim' with a bunch of numbers so I did a lot of searching for the name until I finally found out she was from a short manga. I can search for Lilim Kiss now and find a lot of stuff for it easily but back then it seemed like a lost cause, lol.

#55435 - 07/30/13 03:19 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: Anemone]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: Anemone
Lilim Kiss. I think it was 2001-2002 when I first found scanlations for it. I saw a picture of Lilim on an anime image site and loved her design. The image was saved as 'Lilim' with a bunch of numbers so I did a lot of searching for the name until I finally found out she was from a short manga. I can search for Lilim Kiss now and find a lot of stuff for it easily but back then it seemed like a lost cause, lol.

ANN has it listed as a 2000-2001 manga. I wouldn't get my hopes up, as I doubt anyone would pick it up now.

#55441 - 07/30/13 12:31 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: Cheap One]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: Cheap One
Originally Posted By: Anemone

ANN has it listed as a 2000-2001 manga. I wouldn't get my hopes up, as I doubt anyone would pick it up now.

Not to mention, the mangaka who made Lilim Kiss also made Strawberry 100%. That title has release up here and according to Viz it didn't do too well.

#55446 - 07/30/13 01:38 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
GuilewasNK Online
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Virginia
I'd like to see Your and My Secret get re-licensed and volume 8 finished. I bought volume 1 of the ADV version and volume 1-7 of the Tokyopop version.

It's killing me that it was stopped twice.

2633 discs and counting... http://guilewasnk.filmaf.com/owned/anime

#55455 - 07/30/13 03:44 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
Yeah, TokyoPop really dropped the ball on a lot of good series. They don't seem to be the most reliable company. It makes me nervous that RightStuf still does business with them.

#55457 - 07/30/13 04:16 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: GuilewasNK]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: GuilewasNK
I'd like to see Your and My Secret get re-licensed and volume 8 finished. I bought volume 1 of the ADV version and volume 1-7 of the Tokyopop version.

It's killing me that it was stopped twice.

We don't seem to have much luck with any of that manga-ka's work here. Your & My Secret was dropped twice and Duck Prince and My Heavenly Hockey Club were also dropped. The only series of hers that came over entirely was Strawberry-Chan and that's probably because it's only 2 volumes long.

Edited by sevi (07/30/13 04:19 PM)

#55464 - 07/30/13 08:53 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
Anemone Offline
UPSF Ensign

Loc: 502, KY

Not to mention, the mangaka who made Lilim Kiss also made Strawberry 100%. That title has release up here and according to Viz it didn't do too well.

That's a bummer. :'c

#58549 - 10/12/13 04:50 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
No Comment Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Ohio, USA
Hmmm...

Akumetsu
Homunculus
7 Seeds
Abara
Kaguya Hime
The Starving Man (AIUEO Boy)
Mad Bull 34
Nana Of Banana
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Adekan

I guess I can always dream... or learn a second language.

#58551 - 10/12/13 05:15 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: No Comment]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: No Comment

You can always learn French as well, as they get a bunch of stuff that would never come out over here. As the manga market in France is only beat by the Japanese home market.

#58555 - 10/12/13 05:23 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Three more titles that I've been enjoying.

Yuureitou: An adult version of Case Closed/Detective Conan. Nuff said!

Akame ga KILL!: It's a dark fantasy title where the rich are blood thirsty monsters and only the assassins of Night Raid can take them down. No one is safe in this title and the antagonist (who may switch sides soon, since she loves the main character) is very similar to Yuno from Future Diary.

Dragons Rioting: An interesting title that feels like Ikki Tousen (character design wise) with a twist. The main character has a heart condition where he will die if he gets aroused. His father (a legendary martial artist) teaches him every martial art technique to keep his mind pure and calm at all times. Unfortunately, it becomes much more difficult for him, when he finds out that the school he enrolled to (he thought it was an all boys school) was formally an all girls school where martial arts is very heavily in the curriculum. It's been acknowledged that the main character is the most powerful and now every busty woman in the school is interested in him. Comedy ensues as we see the main character trying to get out these tight situations. Kiku would really love this title. I personally find the title down right hilarious.

#58561 - 10/12/13 09:48 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: Cheap One]
No Comment Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Originally Posted By: Cheap One
Originally Posted By: No Comment

You can always learn French as well, as they get a bunch of stuff that would never come out over here. As the manga market in France is only beat by the Japanese home market.
Yeah, I was actually mentally referring to french as opposed to Japanese. It'd probably be more obvious to learn Japanese, but French editions would be cheaper, French is a romantic language thus it's similar to easier languages like Spanish, and I know the France has a budding shojo and josei market that I am totally jealous of. grin

#58643 - 10/14/13 04:33 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
IceCode Offline
UPSF Ensign

Hello! These are the manga titles I would like to see licensed. Chapters in [#].

BooBoo KagaBoo [1]
Fortune Arterial + (Character's Prelude) [7,1]
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to/MtAt 2 [10, publishing]
Nazo no Kanojo X/Mysterious Girlfriend X [10+]
Nyoro-n Churuya-san [1]
Ryuushika Ryuushika [7+]
Sora no Otoshimono/Heaven's Lost Property [17+]

And though these are novels, I would like to see an official release.

Nisioisin's Monogatari Series [14+] (16 novels in all?)
Toaru Majutsu no Index + (New Testament)/A Certain Magic Index [22, 8+]

#58651 - 10/14/13 08:24 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: IceCode]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

A very condensed list (for the moment):
Amatsuki- A series that follows a High School history class that becomes trapped in a Virtual Reality version of the Edo Period while visiting a museum; combining VR scenarios and samurai puts a twist on the genre.
Evil Eater- Shows a future in which magic is recognized by the scientific community and is used by the government to bring people back from the dead.
Fortress of the Apocalypse- Because we need a new Zombie manga that isn't just fanservice.
Dawn: Cold Hands- Same reason
Genjuu no Seiza- Because it's an awesome series about a boy who's the reincarnated ruler of a small country and his animal guardians from the creator of Pet Shop of Horror. And it was never completely released here due to Tokyopop shutting down.
Black Paradox and Frankenstein: both by Junji Ito
Karneval
7 Seeds
Animal X- Really one of the most hardcore BL titles I've seen since Sweet Pool. So, it would inevitably be Digital only as it also deals with possible M-Preg situations.

For novels: I would love for the Mirage of Blaze series to be published, but I've heard it's extremely long and would be considered too dry/ boring for Americans.

Edited by sevi (10/14/13 08:28 PM)

#58705 - 10/15/13 08:05 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: sevi]
No Comment Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Black Paradox and Frankenstein: both by Junji Ito
Ooh, speaking of Junji Ito, Hellstar Remina would be nice. I need my star-eating evil planet fix.

#59194 - 10/26/13 02:26 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Maken-Ki!

#62880 - 01/04/14 05:35 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Renai Kaidan Sayoko-san

This a really fun title that I stumbled onto a couple weeks ago. It has that Ai Yori Aoshi vibe to it, but that's only because the female lead also prefers wearing a traditional Japanese kimono. It's a romantic comedy with a really interesting story and concept. Sayoko is a spirit median, but in a unique way. She can talk to and unbound spirits from their place of death, but she can't make them pass on. Instead, she allows them to possess her body. Currently, she has over 800 spirits and each one has their own unique abilities. Some are murder victims (missing their heads or are nothing but a skeleton), while others died without achieving their goals. One thing is for certain though, the spirits are very grateful for being freed and they will do anything to make Sayoko happy.

Due too so many spirits inside Sayoko, she gives off a thick miasma (negative energy) that people can't stand. Either they feel sick (coughing fits or vomit) or they pass out. She keeps to herself and avoids human contact as much as possible. She can't live a normal life and the spirits are aware of it. That's until one day, when she runs (literally) into a college student named Inaba and discovers that he is immune the miasma. She falls in love with him instantly, but there is just one problem. She doesn't have any experience with the opposite sex nor love itself. It's funny how she tries to get close to him (moves into the apartment next door) and trys to learn everything about him. She asks the spirits to keep an eye on him and they gladly oblige, since the spirits have also taken a liking to him.

What really makes this series interesting is the spirits themselves. They can possess Sayoko and give her body unique abilities and knowledge. For example, she has Buddhist monk and medical doctor spirits that can instantly heal fatal injures and bandage/treat minor ones (such as when she gets hit by a car). She has a famous affiliates inside her, that can help her play any sports game. What I really like is that the spirits are very protecting of both Sayoko and Inaba. Some of the murdered spirits will gladly haunt those that create any harm between the two of them.

I think this title would be perfect for Vertical to license.

Edited by joelgundam01 (01/05/14 11:26 AM)

#62919 - 01/05/14 09:52 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

After reading the synopsis that you linked to at MAL, I agree. It looks like it could be quite fun. It would make for a great anime as well no?

#62925 - 01/05/14 11:18 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: kiku]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku
After reading the synopsis that you linked to at MAL, I agree. It looks like it could be quite fun. It would make for a great anime as well no?

Only if the team that made Ai Yori Aoshi makes it. smile

#62932 - 01/05/14 12:19 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku

Only if the team that made Ai Yori Aoshi makes it. smile
True enough. Ai Yori Aoshi was awesome.

#63279 - 01/12/14 10:36 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
VanGosroth Offline
UPSF Ensign

To Love-Ru
Koi Kaze

Can't say I read too much manga. I got most of my collection when I used to work at Borders years ago.

#63282 - 01/13/14 12:57 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: VanGosroth]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: VanGosroth
To Love-Ru
Koi Kaze

Can't say I read too much manga. I got most of my collection when I used to work at Borders years ago.

Man do I miss Borders. Their manga section was so much better than Barnes & Nobles'.
They actually had obscure titles and BL in stock. Not happy about the fact that it took down Tokyopop with it either frown

#63300 - 01/13/14 05:55 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: sevi]
VanGosroth Offline
UPSF Ensign

Originally Posted By: VanGosroth
To Love-Ru
Koi Kaze

Man do I miss Borders. Their manga section was so much better than Barnes & Nobles'.
They actually had obscure titles and BL in stock. Not happy about the fact that it took down Tokyopop with it either frown

The manga section at my local B&N is on par with what we had at Borders. Not that it really mattered. People would just sit in the manga Isle and read everything then leave it on the floor in rather large piles.

But I digress. I want to see Moon Phase and Suzuka picked back up. I ended up buying the Japanese Moon Phase but I can't read it heh.

#63321 - 01/14/14 01:18 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: VanGosroth]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

It sounds like Barnes & Noble really depends on location. The one near me ('bout an hour's drive) is totally legit. Everyone's really respectful. It's really clean, including the bathrooms. They've got a cafe, not to mention big stuffed chairs near the magazine (and manga) areas; replete coffe table to set your coffee on while you read. The clientelle appears to be on the side that actually buys something once in a while. All of the staff is really helpful, with a "If we don't have it, we'll try to get it for you." attitude. Furthermore, they are singlehandedly responsible for keeping brick and mortar anime alive in my neck of the woods. Thanks for nothing Best Buy. Barnes & Noble was always my source for anime… until I discovered RightStuf of course. BTW welcome to Anime Today VanGosroth.

P.S. I really miss Media Play, SunCoast, and F.Y.E.!

#64144 - 01/27/14 08:09 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
miuraharuma Offline
UPSF Ensign

I want to see Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish) licensed so badly... +_+

I'm buying the JP books for now, but I would love to have it in English also.

Edited by miuraharuma (01/27/14 08:10 PM)

#65660 - 03/04/14 01:16 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
ninjachad Offline

Vertical is currently holding a licensing survey, if anyone is interested.

#69555 - 05/16/14 09:37 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
GuilewasNK Online
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Virginia
I'd like to see Your and My Secret re-licensed again so I can finish the darn thing.

It absolutely killed me that volume 8 wasn't released before Tokyopop faded away.

2633 discs and counting... http://guilewasnk.filmaf.com/owned/anime

#69979 - 05/27/14 03:53 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: GuilewasNK]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: GuilewasNK
I'd like to see Your and My Secret re-licensed again so I can finish the darn thing.

It absolutely killed me that volume 8 wasn't released before Tokyopop faded away.

So would I (though technically it would be a re-re-license kind of like Tactics). I would also love a rescue for Duck Prince and Category: Freaks-- only needed one more volume for the latter title. C:F was a major reason why I got into traps and I didn't realize until recently that the mangaka for that series was also the author of Sekirei and several yaoi titles like Sensitive Pornograph.

#71766 - 07/06/14 01:30 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Naqua-Den

Another title that I'm really enjoying. Naqua-Den is a spin-off of Princess Resurrection (Kaibutsu Oujo). It focuses on a spider god named Naqua who only appears in the manga. Naqua takes the appearance of a 14-year old girl. In the Princess Resurrection manga, she was one of Hime's enemies in the beginning but became an ally later on.

In Naqua-Den, one of Naqua's spider familiars (Taro-Maru) gets critically wounded and is found by a young boy named Taro. The boy thought he was dead, so he decided to bury him. In a dream, he meets Taro-Maru claiming that he is not dead but he is very weak. He needs 10 years to recover and decides to live inside Taro's body for that time. This gives Taro superhuman strength and instant regenerations properties.

About 6 years after that event Taro is now 16 and going to High School. However, a lot of unnatural phenomena is occurring in Japan (massive fires, typhoons, earthquakes and other disasters) and Naqua appears in front of him. The disasters are not normal and appears that something is harming the other gods. Naqua decides it's time to awaken Taro-Maru and poor Taro is dragged along for the ride as they destroy the enemy at hand.

What really makes Naqua-den shine is the characters, art, and concept. The concept is similar to Princess Resurrection (PR). However, it's much more straightforward. In PR, each chapter is standalone but they loop back to other chapters (a time paradox element). In Naqua-den, each chapter is standalone but it's progressive (continuous) from the previous chapters.

Another strong point is the fan service. Princess Resurrection was a shonen title, while Naqua-den is a seinen title. The title is far more sexed up compared to PR. A great example, is the vampire Greta who appears in both titles. She is a friend of Reiri and looks rather plain in PR. In Naqua-den, she has a much more sexy physic with a large chest and wears very attractive silk stalkings. Not to mention, in Naqua-den there's quite a bit of detailed nudity and several detailed panty shots as well.

What really shines are the characters. They are much more rounded and are much more interesting, since the mangaka took all of the good points from the PR characters and applied them to these characters. I'll give a few examples:

Naqua - She is very similar to Hime (cold persona), but she also has a lot of power at her disposal. She is also far more caring of humans and she absolutely despises unnatural deaths.

Taro - Main character that's like a natural spider-man and his personality is similar to Hiro's Flame Warrior state. Very strong and badass.

Ginko - She is a wolf that has a human form (similar to Holo in Spice & Wolf). She is a combination of Riza (aggressive personality), Reiri (cunning and intelligent) and Sawawa Hiyorimi (sexy physic). She's by far my favorite character in the title. She has a very interesting personality and a distinctive character design. Her human form is very sexy looking, while her wolf form is very frighting looking.

Edited by joelgundam01 (07/07/14 08:45 PM)

#71790 - 07/07/14 09:57 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

That sounds really cool… but you had me at the fifth paragraph.

#72377 - 07/20/14 12:53 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
JimBobYoo Offline
UPSF Ensign

To Love Ru! I want to buy the manga in English so bad. I don't understand how it hasn't been licensed in America. T-T

#72393 - 07/20/14 11:08 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: JimBobYoo]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: JimBobYoo
To Love Ru! I want to buy the manga in English so bad. I don't understand how it hasn't been licensed in America. T-T
Right on JimBobYoo. From what I've heard/read/seen on the net, To Love Ru's manga is pretty racy. Welcome to Anime Today JimBobYoo.

#72404 - 07/20/14 11:59 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: JimBobYoo]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

It's because it's too long. Long series don't usually do well up here, because the sales slowly decrease after each volume release.

The first series is 18 volumes long and Darkness is about another 10 volumes and still ongoing.

It's the same with Freezing, which is 24 volumes and still going strong.

Edited by joelgundam01 (07/20/14 12:00 PM)

#72479 - 07/22/14 02:24 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
RosexRevolution Offline

Loc: Missouri
I'd really like somebody to pick Maid Sama! back up, and it'd be nice if Princess Jellyfish and Chihiyafuru could be licensed as well.

#72483 - 07/22/14 02:40 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

It's because it's too long. Long series don't usually do well up here, because the sales slowly decrease after each volume release.

The first series is 18 volumes long and Darkness is about another 10 volumes and still ongoing.

It's the same with Freezing, which is 24 volumes and still going strong.

Though, obviously, there are exceptions. Viz has published titles that are way longer.
Mostly of the shonen genre. Some of which are well over 60 volumes by now.
Yen Press also seems willing to take chances on longer running series. And they're always willing to take licensing suggestions.
Kodansha has Fairy Tail which is pretty long as well. Though that seems to be an exception with them more than anything.
So, it's more a combination of genre and length. Although, considering how well Monster Musume is selling, that could change.

#72484 - 07/22/14 04:32 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: sevi]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Though, obviously, there are exceptions. Viz has published titles that are way longer.
Yen Press also seems willing to take chances on longer running series. And they're always willing to take licensing suggestions.
Kodansha has Fairy Tail which is pretty long as well. Though that seems to be an exception with them more than anything.
So, it's more a combination of genre and length. Although, considering how well Monster Musume is selling, that could change.

Of course, but those are either Shonen Jump titles or are works from a well known mangaka (Fairy Tale falls into the latter).

Viz has dropped many long manga series in the past, because of poor sales.

#72488 - 07/22/14 05:22 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Of course, but those are either Shonen Jump titles or are works from a well known mangaka (Fairy Tale falls into the latter).

Viz has dropped many long manga series in the past, because of poor sales.

Well, that's why I said genre has usually been a factor.
Although, considering how long Viz has been around, I wouldn't say they've dropped that many titles. The only ones I can think of are Kurohime, Gintama, Shakugan no Shana and Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. And the last one only sold poorly because the fans didn't like the translation. Not because of the length of the series.

#72491 - 07/22/14 05:42 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: sevi]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Although, considering how long Viz has been around, I wouldn't say they've dropped that many titles. The only ones I can think of are Kurohime, Gintama, Shakugan no Shana and Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. And the last one only sold poorly because the fans didn't like the translation. Not because of the length of the series.

There's also Beat The Vandel Buster, I''s, and Strawberry 100%, which instantly pop into my mind.

Edited by joelgundam01 (07/22/14 05:43 PM)

#72503 - 07/22/14 07:27 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

There's also Beat The Vandel Buster], I''s, and Strawberry 100%, which instantly pop into my mind.

Viz didn't cancel Beet the Vandel Buster. The series has been on hiatus since 2006 because of the author's health. And at this point it's unlikely to be finished. They have published all 12 available volumes.
I"s was censored but all 15 volumes were released in North America.
Although I will concede that Strawberry 100% was most likely cancelled. But I suspect that had more to do with subject matter and censorship issues more than length.
They haven't cancelled anywhere near the number of series as Tokyopop or Seven Seas. The Viz anime division is another story...
Edit: Forgot about Bastard!!-- although that was also most likely subject matter. Or at this point possibly even the age of the series.

Edited by sevi (07/23/14 01:03 PM)

#73888 - 08/22/14 09:19 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
Jingraves Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Arkansas
I would like to see Ares made for English. I have been reading it on the phone, but I prefer the feel of the book to reading it online. In terms of owning that is why I own close to 1000, besides being a collector.

#73890 - 08/22/14 09:36 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: sevi]
Jingraves Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Sadly Sevi you are correct with Beet the Vandel Buster; I really loved the series it just seem really easy to read. On a better note with the hiatus of D.Gray-Man being over from their two illness spells it is now back on the pot to boil. As far a Kurohime, no it is a pain to get all of those from Manga salers unless it is in a box in the back, hidden away. The same with Zatch Bell.

As far as the up to date for VIZ:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viz_Media#Currently_licensed
this will be the best just because its simple.

Tokyopop I would have to say they didn't necessarily cancel as they just closed down ending them all. Besides that there was an article where anyone who licensed with them at the time signed there stories over, which screwed them over. Tokyopop kept them in hopes of turning all of them around into animes instead of mangas. But as far as that went it seems to have gone nowhere and the people still can't get their stories back yet. So that is the story of that.

Anyone find a good source for some of these formally licensed mangas let me know the big ones are: Kurohime, Dragon Drive and Zatch Bell, but any others would be good to know as well.

#73897 - 08/22/14 04:11 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: Jingraves]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

For some reason I keep thinking that since RightStuf still has all the Kurohime volumes still listed that they still have them in stock.
As far as Tokyopop goes, they royally screwed themselves when they went in big with Borders just as the store went out of business. And to this day I continue to believe that Borders intentionally went out of business as it doesn't take a genius to realize that if your stores are doing poorly you DON'T shut down the branches that cost less to run and are actually bringing in a sizable profit.

But, I would love to see the Dark Edge series resurrected at some point as it was one of my favorite horror series. Like if Vampire Knight was more about gore and things that are fear inducing over being a dramatic love story with vampires just tacked on.

#73899 - 08/22/14 04:27 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
Jingraves Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Yes, agreed. As far as Kurohime I have only seen them have 5 random volumes.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2015 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.