Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#45906 - 12/08/12 08:11 PM Manga you want to see licensed?
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
I decided to post this here, since this is more a wish list thread than a request thread for Right Stuf's POD (print on demand) line.

Which licenses do you want to see be acquired by the major manga distributors (Viz, Yen Press, Kodansha, Seven Seas, Dark Horse, etc...)?

Advertisement
#45907 - 12/08/12 08:14 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I'll get the ball rolling with my top 3.

1.) Freezing: The anime is not bad, but the manga is far superior in my opinion and the recent chapters are finally revealing a lot of the characters' actual pasts (especially Kazuya's).

2.) Birdy The Mighty (Remake): After watching Decode, I decided to check out the original source material. Boy was I thrown in for a loop. The anime is a really rough adaptation at best. The original manga was only one volume long and was a shonen title, while the remake is a seinen title with 20 volumes and a sequel (Evolution) running at 14 volumes long. The anime (Decode) takes the concept of the original shonen title and follows some of the story plot lines in the remake.

In this remake, Birdy looks much older (adult age) and is really sexed up. Also she isn't afraid of showing it off (lots of nudity). Tsutomu Senkawa is also a bit older (16 instead of 14) in this version. Also, two major characters from the anime (Sayaka Nakasugi and Nataru Shinmyou) don't exist in the manga. In fact, Nataru's character design is based off of Tsutomu's older character design in the manga. Many of the side characters in the anime actually play much larger roles in the manga and it's far more brutal. I'm really hooked on this title and I hope someone will pick it up.

3.) Unbreakable Machine Doll: This is a very interesting action title with some of the cleanest art that I've seen. The title is set in the 1800 hundred where magic users use Automatons to do their bidding. It's a very interesting story with very likable characters. Most of you guys will love Yaya and Char.

#45914 - 12/09/12 12:25 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Very good topic idea. I'll have to think about this a little and get a list together.

#45920 - 12/09/12 02:43 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
trunkschan90 Offline
UPSF Ensign

Here's my list of manga I want to see licensed:
Glass Mask
009 Re: Cyborg
Moribito
Gokusen
Rose of Versailles
Polar Bear Cafe
Chibi Maruko-chan
Chihayafuru
Ace wo Nerae
Yawara!

#46818 - 01/06/13 08:54 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
I'm a cyclops Offline
UPSF Ensign

Viz needs to add Ushio and Tora and Ghost Sweeper Mikami to their Shounen Sunday lines. Both are really great mangas that feature yokai, action, and comedy. Ushio and Tora can be best described as Calvin and Hobbes (The titular duo make it quite obvious) meets YuYu Hakusho and Ghost Sweeper Mikami can be seen as Ghost Busters but with a sexy heroine (Reiko Mikami gives characters like Yoruichi, Tsunade, and Boa Hancock a run for their money in the department of sexiness) and her two sidekicks, one a perverted young man and the other an innocent ghost.

I also don't see why Viz never licensed Kongou Banchou. It's a nice new school action manga with an old school formula similar to Toriko. It's only 12 volumes long so they could easily put it out with no problems.

Riki-Oh's another title I'd like to see brought over. Most are familiar with the live action film but not many know the original source. It would fit Dark Horse's catalogue pretty well due to their penchant for licensing more graphic stuff. The Outlaw Star manga would fit as well.

#47023 - 01/13/13 03:01 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
shinjiyo Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Minnesota
Hajime no Ippo, no doubt...
History strongest Disciple Kenichi... -because I love martial art and that's the only thing next to anime and drawing that I really can get into-

Can't really think of any other ones now since I'm at work but yeah those to for now are my top two... =D

#48180 - 02/11/13 10:24 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
NewOldSchool Offline
UPSF Ensign

I know this is a bit dated and maybe a bit of a pipedream, but I would love to see The Irresponsible Captain Tylor translated. If anybody here agrees then please help and let RightStuf know we'd love to see it. I figure now might the right time since they've recently re-released the anime and interviewed the translator (Neil Nadelman) at length about how the novels tie into the series so maybe they would be interested in the project!!!

#48183 - 02/11/13 01:18 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: NewOldSchool]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: NewOldSchool
I know this is a bit dated and maybe a bit of a pipedream, but I would love to see The Irresponsible Captain Tylor translated. If anybody here agrees then please help and let RightStuf know we'd love to see it. I figure now might the right time since they've recently re-released the anime and interviewed the translator (Neil Nadelman) at length about how the novels tie into the series so maybe they would be interested in the project!!!

It'll probably remain as a pipe dream.

The biggest issue with novels is that they cost 10 times more to translate compared to a single volume of manga. Yen Press and Tokyopop have both expressed their frustrations on releasing novels up here in the past. There are only a handful of novel series that have done well up here (Spice & Wolf, Haruhi, 12 Kingdoms).

#48185 - 02/11/13 02:03 PM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
NewOldSchool Offline
UPSF Ensign

Then that's three perfectly good examples as to why they should consider it :P

#48212 - 02/12/13 05:45 AM Re: Manga you want to see licensed? [Re: joelgundam01]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
12 kingdoms unfortunately not doing well enough to get license rescued after Tokyopop's collapse... frown
I guess the extra translation time is also why when it was being released, it was 1 book per year, compared to 4-6 per year for most manga.

I'd like to see a license rescue of some Del Rey, Bandai and Tokyopop titles, since I hate having incomplete series in my collection, highest priority for me being Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Moyashimon.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.