Page 24 of 103 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 102 103 >
Topic Options
#36385 - 04/16/12 11:33 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
Panty & Stocking & Garterbelt.
DVD only? Limited edition?
....what to do... I want to wait for a bluray, but what if it just never comes?

Advertisement
#36395 - 04/17/12 01:02 AM Re: On the fence. [Re: Gevin]
Vata Raven Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Loc: TN
Originally Posted By: Gevin
Panty & Stocking & Garterbelt.
DVD only? Limited edition?
....what to do... I want to wait for a bluray, but what if it just never comes?

Chances are that a blu-ray won't come out. The next best would be DVD/blu-ray combo, but the limited edition doesn't even have that. So, Funimation didn't get the rights to a blu-ray release, from the looks of it.

I don't think Funimation puts out a lot of blu-rays unless it's going to be worth it, like a fan favorite series or something going into the Anime Classics line.

Edited by Vata Raven (04/17/12 01:03 AM)

#36396 - 04/17/12 01:07 AM Re: On the fence. [Re: EricDent]
Vata Raven Offline

Originally Posted By: EricDent
So when looking at what we had in stock, this kinda caught my eye.

Rozen Maiden Complete Collection (both seasons & OVAs) about $35 IIRC.

Yea, Nay, or Meh?

Not sure how I would react to a show about living dolls, even though I technically have two in Chobits, & Angelic Layer.

Is it an action show, or does it get disturbing with loads of loli stuff?

Wiki says it's a Comedy, Drama, Supernatural series.

The plot revolves around Jun Sakurada, a middle school student who refuses to go back to school after being traumatized by an embarrassing experience. Since then, he avoids leaving his house and spends the day ordering goods online and returning them before the grace period ends. When Jun receives a letter asking "yes or no", he becomes skeptical, but circles "yes". Soon after, the letter vanishes and a wood case appears in his room. Inside the box is a very realistic doll which, after being wound starts moving on its own and introduces herself as Shinku, the fifth doll of the Rozen Maiden series.

In the following, Jun becomes Shinku's "medium", a human host that provides the doll with his own life energy, allowing her to walk and use magic. This bond is symbolized by a ring worn by both parties. Now, Jun and Shinku must participate in the "Alice Game", a competition between the Rozen Maiden dolls to capture each other's "Rosa Mystica", their primary life source. Once a doll is defeated in combat, she loses her Rosa Mystica to the opponent, and becomes an inanimate doll. The last doll who remains standing wins the Alice Game, will become a girl of utmost beauty and purity named "Alice", just as their creator Rozen wanted.

In the first season of the anime, the main antagonist was Suigintou but was destroyed by a team effort led by Shinku. In the second season of the anime Rozen Maiden: Träumend, Shinku, Jun, and the other dolls, meet two additional Rozen Maidens: Barasuishou and Kanaria. Suigintou reappears, as she is resurrected by Rozen himself, and this time she has a "medium", an ill girl named Megu. With all the seven dolls awoken, the "Alice Game" grows near to its conclusion. Adding to the mystery of Rozen, there is also Enju and Shirosaki, who operate their own doll shop, and the strange Laplace's Demon, who appears during battles talking in riddles. In the last episode, Barasuishou successfully defeats the other dolls. However, she was revealed to be Enju's creation and not a true Rozen Maiden. She was destroyed when she was unable to contain the "Rosa Mystica" of the other dolls. The series ends unresolved as Rozen appears at the last minute, restoring the life of his dolls, except for Hinaichigo and Souseiseki and with Kirakishou, the real seventh Rozen Maiden, making a brief appearance.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like Zatch Bell, but not for kids.

#36398 - 04/17/12 01:38 AM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Round Rock, TX
Well thanks for the info, I was mostly hoping somebody had seen it.
I did not read the last paragraph (come on at least put spoiler tags).
Most of the other stuff was on the back of the DVD box.

#36399 - 04/17/12 02:41 AM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
Vata Raven Offline

If you're okay with dolls battling it out to become Real Women...then I guess it could be worth. But I don't think it's "loli" thing. It's a pretty common look for dolls. And it's a seinen title.

But people on RS reviews all say it's a wonderful series. Characters are all likable, great plot, great music, and all that good stuff. I would get it if the female dolls were replaced with male versions. It sounds interesting to me, but I'm biased and hate most female characters.

#36406 - 04/17/12 01:50 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
ninjachad Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Rozen Maiden was a pretty good series, and I can definately recommend it. It's a comedy series, but it can sure get dramatic and suspenseful when it wants to be. The only thing is that the end of ending of season two ends kind of with a cliffhanger. It leaves you wanting more...

Does anyone have any thoughts on Lupin the 3rd: Season One? I'm really enjoying the new season thats simulcasting so far.

#36407 - 04/17/12 02:53 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
I thought that Rozen Maiden was just so-so. For me it's not one that i'll be running out to buy.

#36994 - 04/30/12 12:40 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Bunny Drop. I'm on the fence. It looks like a great set loaded with extras. It looks somewhat akin to Kurenai, which I preordered the second it came up.

#36995 - 04/30/12 01:27 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: kiku
Bunny Drop. I'm on the fence. It looks like a great set loaded with extras. It looks somewhat akin to Kurenai, which I preordered the second it came up.

Not sure how you figure that it's like Kurenai. I've not seen Kurenai, but the 17+ rating and the descriptions that I've read of the premise assure me that the two shows are nothing alike. Synopsis follows.

“Usagi Drop” is about a 30-year-old bachelor named Daikichi. As the story opens, Daikichi is getting ready to attend his grandfather’s funeral. When he arrives at his grandfather’s house, he notices a little girl that he has never seen before. He soon learns that the little girl, Rin, is his grandfather’s illegitimate child.

Immediately after the funeral, the whole family gets together to discuss what to do about Rin. The meeting goes on for hours, and they eventually reach a consensus that no one wants to take her. The head of the family is about to call for her to be placed in an ‘institution’ when Daikichi decides that he has heard enough, and asks Rin if she would like to live with him. To everyone else’s consternation, Rin accepts his offer.

The following episodes show how Daikichi and Rin adapt to living together. They go through deciding what name Rin should use when she goes to school
Click to reveal..
(she decides not to change it).
Daikichi has to find a school that will admit Rin, and he has to buy her clothes and school supplies. Daikichi finds out that his grandfather planted a tree when Rin was born, and rather than risk having it cut down by the new owners of his grandfather’s house, they move it. In short, they show all the steps that Daikichi and Rin go through as they become a family.

The series is slow-paced, warm, and funny. The color palette looks like watercolors, which probably fits a story about a child Rin’s age. The music also fits the series perfectly. I love this anime. Highly recommended. (Note: I didn’t monitor it for language, but I doubt there’s anything worse than an occasional ‘damn’.)

Edited by Manhiem (04/30/12 01:29 PM)

#36999 - 04/30/12 03:19 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Round Rock, TX
Though apparently the manga "goes there" when Rin gets a bit older...
It does not do it in the show though.
If you don't know what I am talking about, just think Koi Kaze, but even creepier...

Page 24 of 103 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 102 103 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.