Start Shopping! Cart
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44251 - 11/05/12 02:05 AM Ristorante Paradiso
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
Just wanted to mention that I viewed my copy of Ristorante Paradiso this afternoon, and I noticed a problem.

I have an old TV set, and the menus from the DVD ran off my screen to both the left and right. The same was true of the liner notes. I didn't check the art galleries. The menus were still navigable, but of course I couldn't read any of the text that ran off the edges of the screen.

I tried looking for a menu option to fix this, but I didn't see one. Is there a way to fix this, short of buying a new widescreen TV (which isn't an option right now)?

Edit: I should probably also mention that the episodes played fine. The picture fit the screen like it was supposed to.

Edited by Manhiem (11/05/12 09:01 AM)

Advertisement
#44265 - 11/05/12 11:29 AM Re: Ristorante Paradiso [Re: Manhiem]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
It sounds like the menu is stuck on 16x9 and your player is doing a pan & scan. It's possible that it's doing the same thing on the show itself, but you just don't notice it. That's because most production companies keep the 4:3 TV owners in mind (keep the text in the center), when making their shows.

Try going into the DVD player's settings and set the video output to "4:3 letterbox".

You will be stuck with the black bars, but you should be able to see the entire menu.

Edited by joelgundam01 (11/05/12 12:24 PM)

#44271 - 11/05/12 12:20 PM Re: Ristorante Paradiso [Re: Manhiem]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Thanks. smile I'll give that a try.

#44297 - 11/06/12 12:13 AM Re: Ristorante Paradiso [Re: Manhiem]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

I tried choosing the setting that you suggested (4:3 letterbox), and it had no effect on the way the menu or liner notes were displayed.

#44299 - 11/06/12 12:54 AM Re: Ristorante Paradiso [Re: Manhiem]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: Manhiem
I tried choosing the setting that you suggested (4:3 letterbox), and it had no effect on the way the menu or liner notes were displayed.

Try the disc on another player then, it could be just an incompatibility issue.

#44303 - 11/06/12 09:07 AM Re: Ristorante Paradiso [Re: Manhiem]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

OK, I'll try that next. Thanks. smile

#44306 - 11/06/12 02:15 PM Re: Ristorante Paradiso [Re: Manhiem]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
If it's not working, could it be the settings on the TV that need to be adjusted? Just a thought.

#44309 - 11/06/12 03:01 PM Re: Ristorante Paradiso [Re: Manhiem]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Tried the disk on both my PS2 and my computer. PS2 defaults to a 4:3 letterbox format, and it had the same problem as my DVD player. The disk worked fine on the computer under Windows Media Player.

As far as changing my TV settings is concerned... Did I mention that my TV was old? I bought it when the NES game deck was the big thing in home video games. It doesn't have a lot of settings that you can adjust. I did look to see if it was possible, though.

#44747 - 11/12/12 01:08 PM Re: Ristorante Paradiso [Re: Manhiem]
TroyR Offline
UPSF Admiral

Loc: Iowa, U.S.
Hi Manheim,

I checked with the producers, and they reiterated what joelgundam01 in that it sounds like your DVD player setting needs to be changed as it isnt recognizing the aspect ratio correctly.

Are there any other settings for aspect ratio? 4:3 should be the one you are looking for, though.

#44748 - 11/12/12 01:17 PM Re: Ristorante Paradiso [Re: TroyR]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: TroyR
Hi Manheim,

I checked with the producers, and they reiterated what joelgundam01 in that it sounds like your DVD player setting needs to be changed as it isnt recognizing the aspect ratio correctly.

Are there any other settings for aspect ratio? 4:3 should be the one you are looking for, though.

DVD players usually only three ratio options.

4:3 Pan&Scan
4:3 Letterbox
16:9 Anamorphic.

I suggest trying each of the settings (including 16:9 Anamorphic) and see if one of them fixes the problem. We know that 4:3 Letterbox is out of the question. However, I don't know what the default setting was on Manheim's player. For all we know, it was already defaulted to 4:3 Letterbox.

FWIW, when I was using a SD TV (all the way until 10/30/2010), I had my DVD player set on 16:9 Anamorphic (fit to screen). I experienced some stretching, but I didn't see any black bars or cropping with this option. As long as the DVD supports the anamorphic feature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.