Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 2 of 121 < 1 2 3 4 ... 120 121 >
Topic Options
#25693 - 08/26/11 03:44 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: EricDent
You know what, I kind of like the "real life" shows that Discovery/History Channel runs on their channel. However I think they need to cool it down a bit and bring back actual "Discovery" or "History" stuff.

I remember I use to call the History channel: The Hitler channel. ( because something about him was always on )
Now I bet there are fans of the History channel that do not even know who he is...

Edited by BWBODDY (08/26/11 05:16 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling correction

Advertisement
#25712 - 08/27/11 12:32 AM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I went to Dachau on a two week trip to Europe when I was in high school. I could feel it. It was harsh. It's important that we never forget.

#25717 - 08/27/11 09:27 AM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku
I went to Dachau on a two week trip to Europe when I was in high school. I could feel it. It was harsh. It's important that we never forget.

YES, YES, YES, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD !!!

kiku

I can not believe that you described it like that.
That is so true...

I was there back in 1986, I was stationed ( in the Army ) in Darmstadt.
( just outside of Frankfurt )
I went to Munich for Oktoberfest that year.
If you havenít been to Munich for Oktoberfest than you havenít been to an Oktoberfest. grin
Part of the trip was a visit to Dachau. frown
I think all of the Ghost Hunting shows on TV are just BS, but if they ever went to Dachau I bet they wouldnĎt know what to do when itĎs the real thing.

I was only there about 3? hours, and Iíll NEVER FORGET ITÖ.
I felt like I was walking around with this weight on me.
( and if you like one could say )
It was as if "something" was grabbing a hold of me and I kept getting heavier and heavier.
Not just weight wise, my heart hurt, my mind grew foggy, like when you have a Head Cold and the feeling of despair became overwhelming.

At one point I just started to cry and it took sometime for me to regain my faculties.
It is and will remain the most "PROFOUND" thing Iíve ever experienced.

Still to this day if I think about it for too long the tears start.

#25721 - 08/27/11 11:28 AM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Did you take any pictures? When I was there I took several. For some reason I was better with a camera then than I am now. They turned out and really captured the feeling. I'm sure compositionally, they're far from professional photography,but from an artful point of view; they might be considered good.

There was something about the experience that (as mentioned before) moved me. During the approximately 2 weeks of the high school trip to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, I did very little other than get drunk. I was about 16 and it was legal. Upon reflection, this is depressing because I probably missed a lot and remember even less. My experience at Dachau however was genuine. You know most angst ridden teens, in that situation would (and did) just see it as a cool experience. After no more than 2 minutes of being there I was filled with a very personal sense of dread and sadness.

My grandfather served in Germany and the repercussions have affected my family deeply. It's sad to think that was what it took to bring the world together unison. We are, as a world, inherently interdependent on one another. I have never raised my hand against another man, nor do I intend to. This is saddening, because that was probably one of the major tenets of the peoples who were persecuted at Dachau.

#25926 - 08/31/11 07:03 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
One of the quietest and most depressing places on Earth is The Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC.

I kind of wish I could have raised enough $ to go to Germany when I was in High School. However I am not sure I could have got very far since I kind of stunk at German. I have seen enough documentaries about those horrible places (like Dachau) that I probably would not want to go.

Have not watched anything lately besides the usual Monday Night RAW, Friday Night SmackDown, and Impact Wrestling (AKA TNA Wrestling).

Have been a wrestling fan for a long time. I just like the stories, the characters, and especially the women wrestlers.

It's kind of like watching a human Godzilla movie sometimes. Oh and yes I have seen that rather odd Pro Wrestling orginization called Kaiju Big Battel.
In that they dress up like monsters and have matches (though they are rather short).

#25942 - 09/01/11 01:13 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
Watched with my wife, The Great Escape and The Sons of Katie Elder.
Started re-watching The Tick and The Venture Bros.. Like the Venture Bros. because it spoofs everything that was popular from back when I was a kid in the 60's such as Jonny Quest, atomic monsters, spy movies, the cold war, etc.

#25943 - 09/01/11 02:04 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku
Did you take any pictures? When I was there I took several. For some reason I was better with a camera then than I am now. They turned out and really captured the feeling. I'm sure compositionally, they're far from professional photography,but from an artful point of view; they might be considered good.

There was something about the experience that (as mentioned before) moved me. During the approximately 2 weeks of the high school trip to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, I did very little other than get drunk. I was about 16 and it was legal. Upon reflection, this is depressing because I probably missed a lot and remember even less. My experience at Dachau however was genuine. You know most angst ridden teens, in that situation would (and did) just see it as a cool experience. After no more than 2 minutes of being there I was filled with a very personal sense of dread and sadness.

My grandfather served in Germany and the repercussions have affected my family deeply. It's sad to think that was what it took to bring the world together unison. We are, as a world, inherently interdependent on one another. I have never raised my hand against another man, nor do I intend to. This is saddening, because that was probably one of the major tenets of the peoples who were persecuted at Dachau.

Yes I did take some pictures while I was at Dachau.
Iíve also spent a few days in Berchtesgaden, I saw where the Berghof was and went up to the Eagles Nest.
Also went across the border into Austria to Innsbruck and Saltsburg.

Got to look down at Berchtesgaden while traveling to it. ( beautiful view )
Berchtesgaden itself is one of the most beautiful places Iíve ever been.
The same can be said for Innsbruck and Saltsburg. they are both right across the border from Berchtesgaden .
It was indeed like being in "The Sound of Music".

I will never forget that Trip.

#25946 - 09/01/11 03:12 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Austria and Switzerland are so very pastoral and beautiful. Incidentally, my visit there gave me a better appreciation of the rural locations where I live.

I remember Austria being full of rolling hills, covered in sheep and flowers; the landscape dotted with tiny little burgs... it was heaven.

#27719 - 09/29/11 10:41 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I just finished season 3 of Fringe. Can you say "cliffhanger"? I'll never last until the season 4 DVD set comes out. That'll be a year from now. What'll I do till then? eek

Why, you could shave your yak... or eat olive loaf!

Blecch! cry

I know, you can can keep yourself busy with this.

grin

#27722 - 09/29/11 11:00 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Watched V for Vendetta on DVD last night.
I thought it was very good.

Page 2 of 121 < 1 2 3 4 ... 120 121 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.