Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44209 - 11/03/12 12:58 PM New Search Coming Soon
Richard Harms Offline

UPSF Admiral

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa, US
We're close to launching a new version of our product search on RightStuf.com, building on the changes to the site that we made earlier this year. If you'd like to take a look at it, it's available here: "New" Faceted Search.

Because it isn't the default search for the site, you will need to search using the lower search box on the page (and not the one at the very top). All feedback is welcome.

Advertisement
#44213 - 11/03/12 01:51 PM Re: New Search Coming Soon [Re: Richard Harms]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
Talking about searching for things, any chance of "media type" (DVD/Blu-Ray/printed media (or even GN/novel/artbook)) etc. filters being added to things like "recent changes", "weekly specials" etc. in the future to make targeted skimming through them a bit more easy?

#44214 - 11/03/12 03:20 PM Re: New Search Coming Soon [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
Richard Harms Offline

UPSF Admiral

Something you can do right now at the URL I posted is to search for:

STORE_CATEGORIES:WEEKLY

(case is important for the portion before the colon)

And that'll give you what you're looking for, I believe, inside the weekly specials.

We're working towards making the categories in the store search-driven, which will give us the ability to have what you're asking for inside the different categories. We're not there yet, and I cannot give an ETA, but that's the direction we're headed.

#44220 - 11/04/12 04:12 AM Re: New Search Coming Soon [Re: Richard Harms]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
Hmm, yes, interesting, it seems to mostly work... smile

Then I guess I myself am just missing 2 things:
- CHANGES store_category
- NOT operator

So I could do things like:
STORE_CATEGORIES WEEKLY AND DVD AND NOT ADULT AND NOT LAJP
STORE_CATEGORIES CHANGES AND GN
(such things would be nice to bookmark in my browser)

(OR operator for for ex. CHANGES AND (DVD OR BLURAY) would probably be too difficult to implement; damn you brackets/nesting... [1] )

Hmm, an empty "s=" parameter if there's something in "r=" doesn't seem to work (for ex. "o=0&s=&r=STORE_CATEGORIES:WEEKLY,DVD"; you instead have to duplicate/move some of the "r" info to "s" by using a "s=STORE_CATEGORIES%3AWEEKLY" or "s=STORE_CATEGORIES%3ADVD")

And a bug: using the "Show Adult: on/off" toggle makes the store_categories, genres etc. checkboxes stop functioning until I refresh the page. (Firefox 16.0.2)
</destructive tester> wink

[1] not even Archonia uses an OR in their search (http://www.archonia.com/mangashop/en/main/search/results/ ) so I guess it's just too difficult to make that intuitive...

#44223 - 11/04/12 08:11 AM Re: New Search Coming Soon [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
Richard Harms Offline

UPSF Admiral

We haven't published anything anywhere, but you can do your "STORE_CATEGORIES WEEKLY AND DVD AND NOT ADULT AND NOT LAJP" query. Here's how it goes:

STORE_CATEGORIES:WEEKLY AND STORE_CATEGORIES:DVD AND NOT STORE_CATEGORIES:ADULT AND NOT STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP

You have to specify the field, STORE_CATEGORIES, before each value. And/or/not must be in uppercase for them to be handled as an operator. You can use parenthesis and such as needed as well.

We don't have recent changes as a category in search, though I can see that being useful.

I appreciate the feedback. smile

#44231 - 11/04/12 09:48 AM Re: New Search Coming Soon [Re: Richard Harms]
Spider Offline
UPSF Ensign

@Maruko-kun:

It appears that you can negate search terms in the box currently.

Example of Negating keywords "aria -ammo -adult"
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/#/?o=0&s=aria%20-ammo%20-adult

Also, based on your and Richard's previous comments it appears that the following works...

Example of Negating categories in the s= search parameter:
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/#/?o=0&s=aria%20-ammo%20-adult%20-STORE_CATEGORIES:DVD (link)

Though, Negating anything in the r= (refine/restrict?) parameter causes confusion and appears to cause the term to be stripped.
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/#/?o=0&s=aria%20-ammo%20-adult&r=-STORE_CATEGORIES:DVD (link)
..................................................................................................................
So, for your first example:

STORE_CATEGORIES WEEKLY AND DVD AND NOT ADULT AND NOT LAJP

Try something like:
STORE_CATEGORIES:WEEKLY,DVD -STORE_CATEGORIES:ADULT -STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP (link)

STORE_CATEGORIES:WEEKLY,DVD (266 results)
Appending -STORE_CATEGORIES:ADULT -STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP (213 results) (53 delta)

To double check the above-
If we don't negate ADULT and LAJP that's 2 results of course, because there are only two things that are both ADULT LAJP and WEEKLY DVDs.

Furthermore everything seems to checkout ok
... STORE_CATEGORIES:ADULT (48 results)
... STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP (7 results)
... -STORE_CATEGORIES:ADULT (218)
... -STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP (259 results)
... STORE_CATEGORIES:ADULT -STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP (46 results)
... -STORE_CATEGORIES:ADULT STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP (5 results)
(266 - 46 - 5 - 2 = 213 ) and so on
..................................................................................................................

Other Notes:

Excluding Live Action "mushishi -STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP"
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/#/?o=0&s=mushishi%20-STORE_CATEGORIES%3ALAJP (link)

Negating Combined Categories like below WON'T work (at least not as you might expect)
mushishi -STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP,DVD
(did I mean demogan? did I know I meant that?)

STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP,DVD matches an item that is in both categories

-STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP,DVD excludes something that is in both those categories.
(ie. it won't exclude something in one OR the other) for example this excludes nothing:
mushishi -STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP,GN (link)

Multiple individual exclusions DO work
mushishi -STORE_CATEGORIES:LAJP -STORE_CATEGORIES:DVD

Be sure to note:
Putting category terms in the s= search box does NOT cause their checkbox on the left to be selected. (Mostly just pointing this out for anyone trying to tweak things)

EDIT: Too slow :P left this open and didn't refresh to see Richard's latest response

Edited by Spider (11/04/12 10:15 AM)
Edit Reason: too slow note & clarification

#44237 - 11/04/12 12:02 PM Re: New Search Coming Soon [Re: Spider]
Richard Harms Offline

UPSF Admiral

Awesome examples, Spider. Thanks for putting that together.

#44282 - 11/05/12 05:15 PM Re: New Search Coming Soon [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
Richard Harms Offline

UPSF Admiral

Originally Posted By: SD Maruko-kun
"recent changes"
We don't have a good recently changes filter in there at the moment, but there's a couple fields that would get you close that you can search on with ranges:

createdTime:[8/1/2012 TO NOW]
modifiedTime:[8/1/2012 TO NOW]

The createdTime field will be stamped with when the item was added to our systems, the example above would give you everything from August 1st this year to now.

The modifiedTime field is a little deceptive, since it'll include a lot of things that aren't visible to customers - I questioned mentioning it at all, but it will show you things that have been modified in some way since a specific time.

#44411 - 11/07/12 07:12 PM Re: New Search Coming Soon [Re: Richard Harms]
Spider Offline
UPSF Ensign

No problem, Richard. I was also curious so I was trying out a few things and wanted to share any thing that seemed useful.

I'd thought to try sorting by Date Added, though that does seem like it would work. Thanks for the tips, modifiedTime may come pretty close to what Maruko-kun is looking for.

That's certainly a more fine tuned search that's been implemented. I appreciate the new features.

#45131 - 11/19/12 07:59 PM Re: New Search Coming Soon [Re: Richard Harms]
Richard Harms Offline

UPSF Admiral

There's now a text-only listing format available for the search results. Also, if you click the text-only button an extra time, you'll get a listing that includes item numbers as well. It's slightly hidden since the majority of people don't need them, but I know there are those that will really appreciate this addition. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.