Start Shopping! Cart
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43592 - 10/22/12 10:35 AM North South East West
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I know that I'll probably get laughed at some, but I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice about reading manga/graphic novels. I'm well acquainted with the western style of comic book/graphic novel; but I'm trying to get used to the ones that read back to front, as it were. Is there a rhyme or reason to the panel layout? Do I always read the right page and then the left. Do I start at the upper left panel, then the upper right, then the lower left, and then the lower right? Or do I start at the upper left and go clockwise? If it's a two panel page split horizontally, do I start at the top panel? Maybe I've got it all wrong, and it's exactly opposite of western style comic books and I start on the right hand page, lower right panel, then lower left, then upper right, then upper left, then on to the left hand page and repeat? Please help, and please forgive my ignorance.

Advertisement
#43593 - 10/22/12 10:37 AM Re: North South East West [Re: kiku]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

http://www.wikihow.com/Read-Manga

It takes some getting use to it, but now I have trouble reading western style comic books

Edited by Cheap One (10/22/12 10:38 AM)

#43601 - 10/22/12 11:04 AM Re: North South East West [Re: kiku]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
The last page on almost every volume of manga will say "you're reading the wrong way" and explains how to read a manga (with diagram - like this).

It's like a mirror image of a western comic. You read right to left (right panel to left panel; top to bottom). You start with the top right text bubble and move your way left and then work your way down. The English text itself is left to right of course.

Edited by joelgundam01 (10/22/12 11:38 AM)

#43604 - 10/22/12 11:13 AM Re: North South East West [Re: Cheap One]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: Cheap One

It takes some getting use to it, but now I have trouble reading western style comic books
That link is very helpful. Thank you Cheap One.

#43605 - 10/22/12 11:15 AM Re: North South East West [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
The last page on every volume of manga will say "you're reading the wrong way" and explains how to read a manga (with diagram - like this).

It's like a mirror image of a western comic. You read right to left (right panel to left panel; top to bottom). You start with the top right text bubble and move your way left and then work your way down. The English text itself is left to right of course.

Again, that link is very helpful, and I found the "key" on the frontback page that you're referring to. Thank you joelgundam01.

#43606 - 10/22/12 11:24 AM Re: North South East West [Re: joelgundam01]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

The last page on every volume of manga will say "you're reading the wrong way" and explains how to read a manga (with diagram - like this).

I wish that were true, but not every American manga company does it. Though a quick search will give you that image and tons of pages of how to read manga.

#43610 - 10/22/12 11:37 AM Re: North South East West [Re: Cheap One]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I wish that were true, but not every American manga company does it.

True, but the majority of them do. Especially the titles that Kiku is buying. wink

#43612 - 10/22/12 11:46 AM Re: North South East West [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Am I that transparent?

#43616 - 10/22/12 12:00 PM Re: North South East West [Re: kiku]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku
Am I that transparent?

No! I just know that Tokyopop, Seven Seas and Viz titles contain them.

BTW, it appears that Omamori Himari doesn't contain it. I just checked my volumes.

#43619 - 10/22/12 12:19 PM Re: North South East West [Re: kiku]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

The only Yen Press titles to contain them from what I have gathered is the stuff they put out with SquareEnix.

#43960 - 10/29/12 07:55 PM Re: North South East West [Re: Cheap One]
shinjiyo Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Minnesota

same here.... now spider man just seems to be retracting his web instead of shooting it. lol
dont get me started on super man.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.