Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43365 - 10/16/12 09:34 AM SUBs need improvement
DEAFinition2 Offline
UPSF Ensign

Comparing Japanese animation and the American product after translation - really leaves the audience with a different story. It is a shame American producers cannot match in originality or quality. Subtitles are suppose to mean the original script of the film. What happened? If America cannot get a good translator they make it up? or just ignore and bypass?

Many inventions like Karaoke at top of screen for lyrics to songs in 2 languages no less and using text within the frame give visual information that US refuses to add when adapting for region 1.

Placement of the screen for text is centered over the film is not ideal. Like most foreign film - placing it below the screen is best. Or directional to who is speaking. Use the top of the screen to display "thoughts-information not vocalized". Improve the subtitles and stop trying to imitate closed captioning machine! The world already knows how big of a fail closed captioning is!!!

Get with it people - demand better quality from production companies.

Advertisement
#43366 - 10/16/12 10:18 AM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: DEAFinition2]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
Actually, when I think of demanding better quality from a distributor, I ask for dubs. Why would I ask for better quality in something that I'd rather not have to use in the first place?

#43367 - 10/16/12 10:41 AM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: DEAFinition2]
Nambu Hakase Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Originally Posted By: DEAFinition2
Comparing Japanese animation and the American product after translation - really leaves the audience with a different story. It is a shame American producers cannot match in originality or quality. Subtitles are suppose to mean the original script of the film. What happened? If America cannot get a good translator they make it up? or just ignore and bypass?

Many inventions like Karaoke at top of screen for lyrics to songs in 2 languages no less and using text within the frame give visual information that US refuses to add when adapting for region 1.

Placement of the screen for text is centered over the film is not ideal. Like most foreign film - placing it below the screen is best. Or directional to who is speaking. Use the top of the screen to display "thoughts-information not vocalized". Improve the subtitles and stop trying to imitate closed captioning machine! The world already knows how big of a fail closed captioning is!!!

Get with it people - demand better quality from production companies.

I see your point but that's not always the case. It depends who produced it over here.

#43368 - 10/16/12 11:25 AM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: Manhiem]
BWBODDY Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: Manhiem
Actually, when I think of demanding better quality from a distributor, I ask for dubs. Why would I ask for better quality in something that I'd rather not have to use in the first place?

grinI Concur ! grin

#43378 - 10/16/12 05:47 PM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: Manhiem]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: Manhiem
I'm assuming from the poster's name, that they are hearing impaired; and therefore require subtitles... although I could be wrong.

#43380 - 10/16/12 06:37 PM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: DEAFinition2]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
I considered that possibility, but then I read his rant, and looked at the number of times that he's posted here, and decided that it was more likely that he was a sub-only advocate troll.

In either event, complaining to us doesn't do any good. He needs to talk to the people who have control over the process. And when he does, it might be a good idea to go armed with a film that has been subtitled the way he thinks it should be. Then he can say, "Look, these guys are doing it right. Why can't you do it this way?" If NOONE is doing subtitles the way he thinks they should be done, then he's demanding quality standards that don't exist.

#43381 - 10/16/12 06:42 PM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: Manhiem]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

You're right, it was a pretty heated post; not to mention their only post.

#43399 - 10/16/12 11:16 PM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: DEAFinition2]
EricDent Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Thats pretty much impossible to do.

Since if you translate directly from Japanese to English it makes zero sense.

Japanese uses a very different sentence structure & some words could mean totally different things.

So translation becomes almost an artform when going from Japanese to English. I am pretty sure that all the major distributors of anime have a fully fluent translator working for them. Many are native Japanese speakers.

If you are running into differences, maybe you are watching a show with "dubtitles"? Some very early anime shows did this.
Some also have separate sub tracks for the Japanese version & the hard of hearing sub track.

Of course you could also just be a big troll...

Anyhow as an example I will use an online translator to translate from English to Japanese & back to English.

Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the fiddle,
The Cow jumped over the moon,
The little Dog laughed to see such fun,
And the Dish ran away with the Spoon.
(original version)

ちょっとdiddle diddle、cat とのタッグ、 牛を月に上昇し、 犬などを参照してください楽しみに笑った、皿 にスプーンで実行されます。
(Japanese, may not show up on all computers)

Hey diddle diddle, the cat and tag, a cow, dog, and look forward to see the dish laughed to run with a spoon.
(back to English, see how different it is?)

#43406 - 10/17/12 07:55 AM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: EricDent]
BWBODDY Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: EricDent
Thats pretty much impossible to do.

Since if you translate directly from Japanese to English it makes zero sense.

Japanese uses a very different sentence structure & some words could mean totally different things.

So translation becomes almost an artform when going from Japanese to English. I am pretty sure that all the major distributors of anime have a fully fluent translator working for them. Many are native Japanese speakers.

If you are running into differences, maybe you are watching a show with "dubtitles"? Some very early anime shows did this.
Some also have separate sub tracks for the Japanese version & the hard of hearing sub track.

Of course you could also just be a big troll...

Anyhow as an example I will use an online translator to translate from English to Japanese & back to English.

Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the fiddle,
The Cow jumped over the moon,
The little Dog laughed to see such fun,
And the Dish ran away with the Spoon.
(original version)

ちょっとdiddle diddle、cat とのタッグ、 牛を月に上昇し、 犬などを参照してください楽しみに笑った、皿 にスプーンで実行されます。
(Japanese, may not show up on all computers)

Hey diddle diddle, the cat and tag, a cow, dog, and look forward to see the dish laughed to run with a spoon.
(back to English, see how different it is?)

Hahahaha laugh , yup, I did that a while back. ( English to Japanese to English )
The results were the same as your’s.

#43422 - 10/17/12 11:50 AM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: DEAFinition2]
EricDent Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

Sorry about the possibly weird looking stuff that showed on screen.

#43424 - 10/17/12 11:54 AM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

No worries, we get it. grin Is that translator thingy simple to use... and Mac compatible?

#43441 - 10/17/12 06:55 PM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: DEAFinition2]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
If you think you've seen bad subtitles-when I used to have a lot of hk anime dvds the subs would be translated from japanese to either cantonese or mandarin and then to english by someone whose language skills were questionable at best-I had a built in engrish translator in my head so it didn't bother me too much. Don't complain about bad subtitles until you've tried to watch (and read) something as bad as I've described.

#43442 - 10/17/12 08:20 PM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: zrdb]
Nambu Hakase Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Originally Posted By: zrdb
If you think you've seen bad subtitles-when I used to have a lot of hk anime dvds the subs would be translated from japanese to either cantonese or mandarin and then to english by someone whose language skills were questionable at best-I had a built in engrish translator in my head so it didn't bother me too much. Don't complain about bad subtitles until you've tried to watch (and read) something as bad as I've described.

I have a couple DVDs like that. You get used to it after a while. smile I bought them because they were cheap.

#43447 - 10/18/12 01:17 AM Re: SUBs need improvement [Re: DEAFinition2]
EricDent Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

The translator thing was the first link on Google. Typed English to Japanese translator.
It was an online translator, though it was trying to sell the software to use at home. They did have a Mac version as well.
The site did have options for several languages as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.