?
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#43354 - 10/15/12 11:39 PM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
On another note, Kiku incompatibility issues aren't limited to Blu-ray players. I went through 3 DVD players because of them. I would say it's worse for DVD players, since you can't update the firmware.
I own approximately 1000 DVD's and have never experienced such a problem... and my DVD player is so old has a VHS deck in it.

Advertisement
#43358 - 10/15/12 11:44 PM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: kiku]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku
Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
On another note, Kiku incompatibility issues aren't limited to Blu-ray players. I went through 3 DVD players because of them. I would say it's worse for DVD players, since you can't update the firmware.
I own approximately 1000 DVD's and have never experienced such a problem... and my DVD player is so old has a VHS deck in it.

That just sounds like good luck. Cause I know lots of people that had such issues with DVD players and playing DVDs. It should also be possible for people to go through the whole Blu-ray generation and not have any problems till switching to whatever will come out next.

#43360 - 10/16/12 12:01 AM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: Cheap One]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

I think that "luck" is a stretch. A 1000 DVD's and the oldest DVD player in the tri-county area... and nary a glitch. Not to mention, I've never had friend, family, or acquaitance ever remark on an incompatible DVD. Top it off with the first Blu-ray player I ever used emits an audible motor sound when it plays. That's not luck, it's simply personal observation.

#43370 - 10/16/12 01:17 PM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: kiku]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
I think that "luck" is a stretch. A 1000 DVD's and the oldest DVD player in the tri-county area... and nary a glitch. Not to mention, I've never had friend, family, or acquaitance ever remark on an incompatible DVD.

I have over a thousand DVDs too and Bandai titles were plagued with incompatibility issues and they even admitted it. Even Disney had warnings on the back of their DVD cases, saying that some players are not compatible with their discs and they won't be held responsible for it.

The first incompatibility issue for me came with Escaflowne discs 5 and 6, which wouldn't work on my PS2. This forced me to buy my first DVD player (Samsung). It was one of the Gundam DVDs, that forced me to buy a Sony player. And after six years, I was forced to buy another one since Giant Robo disc 2 wouldn't play properly on it. I marked the last one as worn out laser eye.

#43372 - 10/16/12 05:25 PM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

I have approximately 20 DVD titles from Bandai, and I don't have any compatibility issues with any of the discs in any of the sets.

#43383 - 10/16/12 06:52 PM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
I have approximately 20 DVD titles from Bandai, and I don't have any compatibility issues with any of the discs in any of the sets.

I was never able to watch Lost Universe or The Third: the girl with the blue eye.
On any of my DVD players ( 3 different brands ).
I went through many copies of both Animes trying to fix that problem

It wasn’t till I got the bluray player that I could watch them.

#43394 - 10/16/12 08:50 PM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Huh... confused The Third played fine on mine.

#43397 - 10/16/12 10:40 PM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: kiku]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Huh... confused The Third played fine on mine.

That's why they call it "incompatibility issues". Some players will experience it, while others won't.

You're lucky that you got a player that handles different types of DVD encoding quite well. That's not the case for other players, especially some Pioneer models.

The biggest nick against the DVD is that there is no set of standards, when it comes to the player's OS and the encoding on the discs themselves.

#43544 - 10/21/12 04:00 AM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: BWBODDY]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
I have 3 bluray players-a new Panasonic, last years Sony and a Samjunk that I got refurbished for $60 a few months ago and have no problems playing back blurays-I think the biggest problem with player iincompatibility is due to the fact that the stupid @$$#^&@*&@! disc manufactors are always changing the copyright protection to prevent disc copying and this can cause severe playback problems on older players. I have about 6 dvd players including a $400 Oppo player and many Bandai dvds and have never had a single problem with playback except in cases where I got used discs sight unseen and they were scratched up pretty bad-"excellent condition" my ass!! About the only reason you need to add a flash drive to a bluray player is if you want to use bd live and I never have nor will-computers are meant to be connected to the internet-not bluray players-I'd use a media player for that.

#43553 - 10/21/12 10:56 AM Re: Problem playing Bluray [Re: zrdb]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: zrdb
I have about 6 dvd players including a $400 Oppo player and many Bandai dvds and have never had a single problem with playback except in cases where I got used discs sight unseen and they were scratched up pretty bad-"excellent condition" my ass!!
Ain't that the truth! The condition ratings online (I'm not naming any names) are virtually useless... even if the the condition is listed as "new". Rare is the occasion that the item arrives in the condition listed. Such are the perils of buying used online.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.