Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 2 of 611 < 1 2 3 4 ... 610 611 >
Topic Options
#15227 - 01/31/10 12:15 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: JuggaSiC]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Spice and Wolf and YUA s2, YUA the Movie.

Advertisement
#15243 - 01/31/10 10:36 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: JuggaSiC]
zentropa Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Loc: Minneapolis
I watched Sword of the Stranger today and it was the first anime I'd watched in a while.

Pretty good, quite bloody. A bit on the cliché side of things with a moderately predictable formula and key events. It was entertaining regardless and had solid animation and a lot of action.

It reminded me a bit of the Ninja Scroll movie but with less "out there" villains and a more realistic plot.

I gave it an 8/10 but that may change over the next couple of days.

#15254 - 02/01/10 03:43 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: zentropa]
Tsunami3k Offline
UPSF Commander

Loc: Overland Park, KS
Finished up Cromartie and Slayers:Try. Both completely different types of silly fun but I enjoyed watching them both. The latter maintains a fairly complex fantasy world despite being primarily a comedy. It's stumbles a few times on pacing and coherence but it helps that it never takes itself even remotely seriously.

As for Cromartie, I'm not sure if it took a little getting used to or if it just needed a little time itself to loosen up but I eventually warmed up to it. It's not a masterpiece by any measure but it throws enough crazy stuff out there that something eventually works such that the humor can build up some momentum.

I also blasted through Magical Witch Punie-Chan this weekend. It's a rather insane mix of saccharine cuteness and intense violence (usually hovering a couple of steps below below Bludgeoning Angel but the occasional entrails and bone-shattering sound effects bring it briefly up to comparable levels). It makes such an impressive effort to build up enough back story for comedic effect that it leaves one wanting for about twice the episodes if only to explore those other comedic avenues (i.e. her [usually] insanely cute "mascot" is perpetually torn between his adimration for Punie-chan and his desire to kill her. The latter motivation we hardly ever see.) Good solid fun that's best watched with friends (as most comedies are).

#15259 - 02/02/10 09:37 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: zentropa]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: zentropa
I watched Sword of the Stranger today...

In a previous post, I discussed the minor "bad guy" characters (two women and a man) who got relatively little screen time, but who seemed very interesting. Did they stand out to you as well? They weren't really evil, they were just doing their duty, and they seemed like generally honorable types who just happened to be working for less than honorable types. I would like to have seen them fleshed out over the course of a series. I'm just curious as to whether they made a similar impression on other viewers

#15287 - 02/04/10 02:16 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Stefanie]
zentropa Offline

I noticed them, but the guy stood out a bit more for his Magna-Carta-esque dude looks like a lady outfit. I got the feeling that a lot of the characters (them included) could definitely thrive pretty well if they were developed more over the course of a longer series.

#15288 - 02/04/10 03:02 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: zentropa]
Funkgun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like to harken it to a fun Chop saki flick that is easy to get into, easy to show others, and just overall fun to watch for all the action.

Every once in a while it is nice to have a spaghetti western/ Akira kurosawa type of movie that never tries to be more than it can handle. I mean sure it would have made a nice series, but there are other series out there to fill that prescription.
I sorta like a one shot every once in a while.

Edited by Funkgun (02/04/10 03:03 AM)

#15304 - 02/06/10 01:30 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: Funkgun]
zentropa Offline

I blitzed the Wallflower in 2 sittings. It was decent but one of those series where I thought the dub hurt it a bit.

For some reason spazzing out in English just sounds way more abrasive than spazzing out in Japanese. I had always wondered why this was but I realized it's probably due to how people breathe when they are doing that kind of voice. When most people speak/shout Japanese they tend to rely a lot on pushing air from the diaphragm while in English people tend to push from the chest/throat when they are shouting.

Overall it was a decent bishonen spoof that nicely gave depth to the characters. I thought the plot stalled a bit at times but overall it was decently entertaining and I would describe it mostly as a "people learning to understand each other" series.

This is one (like Welcome to the NHK) where I really felt the text descriptions on the back gave a poor representation of the series.

Rating: 7.25/10. I've seen better but I never lost interest.

#15305 - 02/06/10 12:13 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: zentropa]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Just watched Blade of the Phamtom Master. Not really all that impressed with it. Although for the price it wasn't bad. Was there supposed to be two story-arcs in it or just one which took it's time to get started?

#15323 - 02/08/10 09:53 AM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: stargates]
zentropa Offline

Finally got around to watching GTO this weekend. It was rather entertaining with a lot of character development. There was a good mix of parts that were a bit on the twisted side of things as well as parts that were just goofy and other parts that were sweet and uplifting.

The dub cast was solid but a little on the sparse side. I enjoy Bang Zoom dubs quite a bit but Kirk Thornton played like 71% of the male characters (and at a few points some of their voices changed a bit, almost like it was tough to remember exactly what voice was being used).

The strong point of the series was being able to watch characters grow beyond their stereotypes.

My initial rating is 8.25/10

#15328 - 02/08/10 05:40 PM Re: What was the last anime that you completed? [Re: zentropa]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
GTO is a lot of fun. It has the same "this situation is SO screwed up, there's NO WAY the protagonist can make it right again... but then he does" feel to it as Goldenboy. Both characters have a way of digging themselves holes to climb out of on a regular basis. While you'd think that device would get old, it doesn't in those two shows.

Page 2 of 611 < 1 2 3 4 ... 610 611 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.