?
Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#37676 - 05/16/12 01:41 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
"Shiny Syndrome"

A behavior pattern similar to ADD that exists in anime. This condition is apparently more prevelant in females, with particular regard to female ninjas. Anyone afflicted with shiny syndrome can have their attention diverted by the slightest distraction. The bane to all those with shiny syndrome is the kitty. It is the single most powerful known distraction to shiny syndrome sufferers. If someone with shiny syndrome happens to espy a kitty, it's as if they were struck by a mindwipe. They have blinders on and can see only the kitty. The only avenue of thought open to them is... the kitty. There is no known cure for shiny syndrome. It should be noted that shiny syndrome is an all too real affliction and is no laughing matter. Numerous support groups have arisen to aid sufferers such as Mario (those d??? coins) in controlling their shiny syndrome (to little or no effect) and to cope with prejudice and ridicule.

example:
Originally Posted By: name withheld
You know what's sad about my unwatched pile;
I've got stuff I've bought almost three years ago sitting in it.
blush
I try my best to watch it all...but I suffer from "shiny syndrome" I see somthing that intrests me an-
Ooooohhh! KITTY!
(runs off to chase after the cat.)

Advertisement
#37677 - 05/16/12 02:03 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

"Completist Syndrome"

Completist syndrome is one of anime world's most prevelant afflictions. Up to 75% of today's anime fans suffer from completist syndrome, some reports state as high as 90%; staggering numbers to be sure. It is a misunderstood and underestimated malady. Most anime fans suffering from completist syndrome aren't aware of it or aren't willing to admit it. They will often refer to it as "completist tendencies" or say things like "I wanted to order the third series from the other side of the world for well over quadruple it's value." Sugar coating it does not supersede diagnosis people. Common signs of completist syndrome are multiple versions of the same item (i.e. individual volumes sitting on a shelf right next to the complete series), the same title in multiple formats (i.e. owns the anime, video games, manga, figures, and assorted paraphernalia), and multiple back-up hard drives filled with fansubs or shelving units filled to capacity with hard to find items and imports. Medical professionals are in agreement: "Just because you have the first five volumes, doesn't mean you have to have the OVA collection." Like any addiction, understanding is possibly the best medicine.

#37680 - 05/16/12 02:46 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

"Crappack"

Def.: A DVD case that stores all of it's DVD's stacked on top of each other on a single post. They are most commonly found in bargain editions and rereleases. Despite consumer outrage, this packaging medium is still commonly found today. The crappack is far and away the single most unanimoulsy hated DVD packaging system. Irregardless of model (i.e. slimpack, chipboard, flipcase), all other models are superior.

Syn.: Stackpack

Ant.: Case that doesn't suck.

#37697 - 05/16/12 04:01 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I have the shiny one, but it can happen with anything. This causes problems with anime viewing. I wish I could use my video game strategy of routing, but trying to watch 5 animes all together can get hard. Plus with anime I'll often times just want to marathon shows.

#40272 - 07/25/12 09:31 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

#40696 - 08/07/12 09:20 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

One of my faves: Genki Girl

#40699 - 08/07/12 09:33 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: kiku
One of my faves: Genki Girl

How about...
Manic Pixie Dream Girl

"She'll liven up your life whether you like it or not!"

#40703 - 08/07/12 10:36 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

The epitome of genki girl. I'm an airplane, wheee!

#42924 - 10/01/12 10:59 AM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

"Arrival Storm"

def.:The aquisition of an uncharacteristically large amount of anime or other related items in one shipment or place. Usually marked by a very large package on the doorstep or in the mailbox. Arrival Storms of high magnitude have been known to damage and/or destroy mailbox's of substandard construction.

#42926 - 10/01/12 11:03 AM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: kiku
"Arrival Storm"

def.:The aquisition of an uncharacteristically large amount of anime or other related items in one shipment or place. Usually marked by a very large package on the doorstep or in the mailbox. Arrival Storms of high magnitude have been known to damage and/or destroy mailbox's of substandard construction.

If that's the case, it's Storms around here all the time grin

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.