Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#41740 - 09/13/12 08:52 AM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: Christy]
SoundMonkey44 Offline
UPSF Ensign

Loc: Southwest U.S.
I'm really glad RS picked this up! Its always nice to get more classic anime brought over to the states!

*two thumbs way up to you Nozomi!*

Advertisement
#41766 - 09/14/12 05:28 AM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: Cheap One]
Nia Offline
UPSF Ensign

I've seen Rose of Versailles, and yes part of it is fictional. But a vast majority of the story is based on fact not fiction. The events in the series pertaining to the royal family and the French Revolution are all fact. The only real fictional part of the story is the character of Oscar herself. Almost everyone else was a real person, and almost all the scandals, drama, and big events actually happened. That's what makes this anime so great.

Edited by Nia (09/14/12 05:29 AM)

#41767 - 09/14/12 05:31 AM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: Christy]
Nia Offline
UPSF Ensign

Originally Posted By: Cheap One
It's a fictional anime about the French Revolution. I'm personally not excited for it.

#41769 - 09/14/12 05:57 AM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: Christy]
Nia Offline
UPSF Ensign

THANK YOU!!!!!! I am soooooo excited about this license!! I have been waiting for years for someone to pick this up. I love this series. It is one of my all time favorite anime, and the first anime to ever make me cry.

But I think I am about to cry again. Is it true? Is it sub only? Please say it ain't so. I've waited so many years for this gem and for it not to be dubbed is beyond heart breaking.

I beg you, please, please, PLEASE dub this anime. I'll pay extra! I don't care. This anime is too important and too long awaited to be sub only. It is a CLASSIC! It should get the royal treatment. And royal treatment doesn't mean a fancy box.

Without an English dub, to quote Poehitman, "it's just a glorified fansub."

Every other country that has released this groundbreaking anime has dubbed it in their native language; Korean, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Portuguese, and even Arabic. How can there not be an English dub!! Please don't make us the odd man out. Because Rose of Versailles is that important.

In your own words, " Nozomi's focus is on "what fans want." .... the Nozomi production team ensures each release receives the care and attention to detail it deserves." And this title deserves the care and detail of a good English dub.

#41771 - 09/14/12 07:25 AM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: Christy]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
Please don't get the wrong idea. I would love for Rose of Versaille to get an English dub. I wish distributors would give every anime an English dub. But it would be more likely that Nozomi would bring over the existing French dub than that they would put out the money for an English dub.

An English dub for a 40 episode series could cost close to half a million dollars (depending on whose estimates you believed). They would have to be able to sell enough copies to make their money back. If they were to raise the price per copy by $20, they'd have to sell 25,000 copies to make their money back. If they raised the price per copy by $50, they'd have to sell 10,000 copies. If they raised the price per copy by $100 they'd have to sell 5000 copies. Sounds great, right? The higher the premium charged per copy, the fewer copies they need to sell to break even. The problem is, the higher the price point, the fewer copies they are likely to sell.

Rose of Versaille is indeed an important and influential anime. Even so, most of today's fans are likely to view it more as a historical curiosity than a "must have" for their collection. How many copies do you honestly think they could sell if they had to double their normal MSRP?

Edited by Manhiem (09/14/12 07:35 AM)

#41869 - 09/16/12 07:07 PM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: Christy]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Pennsylvania
Meh.. It may be seen as a "classic" by some but to me it's just yet another yuri series.
Not my thing and hence I'll pass frown

#41875 - 09/16/12 08:24 PM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: sevi]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: sevi
Meh.. It may be seen as a "classic" by some but to me it's just yet another yuri series.
Not my thing and hence I'll pass frown
I'm confused. Lady Oscar is a cross-dresser, yes. She is occupying a role that would normally be filled by a man, yes. But how does any of that make this a yuri series? I haven't heard anything about this series that would indicate that it was a girl + girl romance. Do you have some reason to believe that this is a yuri series, or are you just confused about what "yuri" means?

#41885 - 09/16/12 10:55 PM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: Christy]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

I admit that most of my information came from different websites, but for the most part everything I've read indicates that all the female characters develop romantic feelings for the female lead. If anyone could lead me to information that would prove otherwise I might change my mind.

#41886 - 09/16/12 10:59 PM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: sevi]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: sevi
I admit that most of my information came from different websites, but for the most part everything I've read indicates that all the female characters develop romantic feelings for the female lead. If anyone could lead me to information that would prove otherwise I might change my mind.

This is true, but it isn't all out yuri like you might find with Strawberry Panic. Where you see two girls kissing and such.

#41893 - 09/16/12 11:35 PM Re: RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES [Re: Cheap One]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

So it's basically there, it just isn't explicitly shown? Kinda similar to how manga used to get labeled "yaoi" even when there was no physical romance shown. Just to clarify, I'm saying that it's something I'm not really into, not that it in anyway is a bad series. I guess I'm just a tad bitter because yuri/ shojo ai is considered mainstream but yaoi fans are frequently segregated from other anime fans and treated like pervs in many groups frown

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.