Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39855 - 07/14/12 05:08 AM Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes?
Chrisc Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Massachusetts
Last year I spent $785.28 on all my favorite animes that came out last year from Rightstuf excluding merchandise. But I do not have any cable service, the cheapest Comcast package for a year is about $600 and the cheapest Direct TV package is about $660 excluding other charges like HD, & cable box rental.

Hell my phone and internet bill costs are about $880 a year.

I look at buying anime as fulfilling a service that costs the same or less then anything else.

Advertisement
#39857 - 07/14/12 09:38 AM Re: Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes? [Re: Chrisc]
BWBODDY Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: Chrisc
Last year I spent $785.28 on all my favorite animes that came out last year from Rightstuf excluding merchandise. But I do not have any cable service, the cheapest Comcast package for a year is about $600 and the cheapest Direct TV package is about $660 excluding other charges like HD, & cable box rental.

Hell my phone and internet bill costs are about $880 a year.

I look at buying anime as fulfilling a service that costs the same or less then anything else.

Sounds good to me Chrisc, I wish I could give that kind of Logic / Reasoning to my Anime purchases. laugh

#39859 - 07/14/12 09:44 AM Re: Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes? [Re: Chrisc]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Is this a question, or just a statement?

I guess it doesn't hurt to be a bit "rich", though not really necessary to buy stuff. Especially if you spread the buying out over several years.
Plus with tons of cheap anime (under $30) you can have a lot, and not spend a bunch.
I have never really tried to calculate what I spend on anime, and even if I did know its none of anybodies business.
I see people telling each other how much they spend on anime each month or year, that's fine if they want to. Just seems like they are boasting about it. Even with my current situation $ wise (comfort is more important than wealth IMO) I still have to be a bit careful when shopping.

#39867 - 07/14/12 11:46 AM Re: Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes? [Re: EricDent]
Chrisc Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: EricDent
Is this a question, or just a statement?

Its a statement

Quote:
I guess it doesn't hurt to be a bit "rich", though not really necessary to buy stuff. Especially if you spread the buying out over several years.
Plus with tons of cheap anime (under $30) you can have a lot, and not spend a bunch.
I have never really tried to calculate what I spend on anime, and even if I did know its none of anybodies business.

I don't care if people know, what would it matter.

Quote:
I see people telling each other how much they spend on anime each month or year, that's fine if they want to. Just seems like they are boasting about it.

I am not boasting about it, most people have Cable service with monthy bills around lets say $80. I spend far less for what I want with better quality (now I am boasting about it).

Quote:
Even with my current situation $ wise (comfort is more important than wealth IMO) I still have to be a bit careful when shopping.

So do I. What I bought from rightstuf last year & most of it at 46% off:

Queens Blade season 1 - bluray
Sacred Blacksmith - LE
Kampfer
Koihime Muso
Rosario + Vampire - LE
Rosario + Vampire capu2
Chobits - blu-ray
Shin Koihime Muso
Shin Koihime Muso : otome Tairan
Clannad After Story - dvd
Clannad Movie
Lucky Star
Lucky Star - ova
Kanokon
Kanokon ova
Kashimashi - vocal collection
High School of the dead - bluray
Demon King Daimao - bluray
Angel Beats - bluray
Spice & Wolf season 1 - Bluray
Spice & Wolf season 2 - Bluray
Sekirei 2 - LE
Heaven's Lost Property - LE
K-on bluray 1
K-on bluray 2
K-on bluray 3
K-on bluray 4
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya movie - bluray

#39868 - 07/14/12 11:55 AM Re: Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes? [Re: Chrisc]
BWBODDY Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
I would boost, and have, why not ! grin
The last time I did, it was $10K in two years just from RightStuf site alone........

*that was a year ago, and Rightstuf counts for about 2/3's of my Anime*

#39871 - 07/14/12 12:14 PM Re: Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes? [Re: Chrisc]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
I'm not "rich" by any means but I do have enough disposable income to buy the anime I want-I don't buy every new release that comes out frankly because a lot of it is crap. One factor is that I watch an awful lot of fansubs, stuiff from crunchyroll (no-I don't have a subscription to it) and other sources. For me anime is entertainment-pure and simple.

My Anime Bluray Collection

#39872 - 07/14/12 12:16 PM Re: Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes? [Re: Chrisc]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

You don't have to be rich. It makes it alot easier if you are willing to wait for good sales from RightStuf and other places.

I personal don't want to know how much I spend on Anime. So I could never really post that.

#39875 - 07/14/12 12:27 PM Re: Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes? [Re: Chrisc]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I gave up trying to figure out how much I've spent on anime in the 14 years I've been collecting it-it's much easier to just watch and enjoy it.

#39887 - 07/14/12 03:15 PM Re: Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes? [Re: Chrisc]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I have facilitated the disposable income needed for anime in a couple of ways. First; I don't pay for full cable, I just pay for digital basic, Anime Network On Demand, and Funimation On Demand. Second, I cut out a few of life's other addictions in order to increase my disposable income. I quit smoking, I quit drinking, and I quit various other nefarious activities. You would not believe how much money people spend on those things. I'm serious! The numbers are astronomical when you calculate them. A pack a day at over $7.00 a pack, overpriced cocktails and tipping bartenders a few nights a week, keeping your house stocked with cases of beer and bottles of wine and booze. It all adds up. Don't even get me started on other nefarious activities. Roll these things together and we're talikning hundreds of dollars a month! Life is all about choices... and I choose anime!

#39901 - 07/14/12 09:34 PM Re: Do you need to be rich to buy all your favorite animes? [Re: Chrisc]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Wouldn't know about tobacco or alcohol cause' I've never used them-but I do know that a carton of smokes has the hell taxed out of it-ditto for booze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.