Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#38013 - 05/24/12 02:48 PM New website - some details of new features
The Dark Lord Offline
UPSF Grand Fleet Admiral

Loc: Grimes, Iowa
As I am sure all of you have already noticed, the site was updated yesterday and has a whole new look. Certainly, change is scary and things might not be exactly where they were before. I hope you'll take some time to do some exploring; if you can't find what you are looking for, reply here and we'll point you to it and/or see if there are changes we need to make to have things more accessible. The new site is the culmination of many months of work by our entire IT staff, and although we did have it available for proofing, as with any very large project, there's likely to be some issues. We're actively working to address many of these, with a number of modifications already posted in the last couple of days.

One of the biggest changes to the site is how it is displayed. In the past, we had one static page that was displayed exactly the same no matter what device or size of screen that you had. The new site uses what is called "responsive design" in that it detects the size of your screen and adjusts accordingly. If you are on a smartphone, it will present the site optimized for that sized screen. The site will adjust if you are using an ipad, in both landscape and portrait dimensions. All in all, the site can adapt to 5 different sizes at the moment - which means when our staff was working with the site, we actually had to build, test, and deploy 5 websites, not just one!

Search is a big component of the site relaunch, and we're moving to a much more intelligent search engine. Information is provided as a search over the entire site, products, news, podcasts, and more, and the ability to use operators and fuzzy logic with the search makes it much more powerful than the old version. A nice post talking about some of the many capabilities can be found here: http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/search/help/

You'll note a leaderboard on the right edge of the site. This new feature provides trending purchases from customers, so you can see what the most popular items being added to carts from customers is. This information is updated periodically so you can see what are the most popular items our customers are buying are.

We've added more display of products on the front page - you'll notice there are sliders allowing you to browse featured items, preorders, and top sellers by category. The site will provide a random category when you visit, but you can change this easily in the more top sellers box if you want to see best selling DVDs, graphic novels, and so on. Integration with the store is much tighter now than in the past.

We've tightened up navigation on the site and reorganized the footers so that the information hopefully is more accessible. The front page provides links to the most recent news and forum topics.

Social media is much more integrated with the site, allowing you to easily share with your friends different news items and featured products.

More than anything, however, is the difference in the architecture of the site. The way things are built, we have the ability to much more rapidly respond to customer concerns. This quick responsiveness has allowed us to already address a number of issues customers have brought to our attention and we are actively working on several more that will be updated shortly. The site will be more customizable and that will allow us to be more active in modifications to benefit our buyers.

We're actively interested in your input - we know that it's different and that's a bit of a shocker, but hope that you'll be happy with the results and our ability to continue to make it better. We have a survey link open to report bugs and provide comments:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QDTH2L8

Thank you very much for your continued support. Myself and all of our staff appreciate your business and we want to do everything that we can to make our site a place you enjoy coming back to again and again.

Best,
Shawne Kleckner
Dark Lord of the Minions
Right Stuf, Inc.

www.rightstuf.com
darklord@rightstuf.com
Become a minion of the Dark Lord today!

Advertisement
#38020 - 05/24/12 05:56 PM Re: New website - some details of new features [Re: The Dark Lord]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I would very much like to give a little feedback regarding the new changes here at RightStuf. I feel that these new changes are a direct indication of the RightStuf's commitment to excellence. Sure; I, like many here am somewhat traumatized by the new changes. Many of us believe: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well truth be told, I felt that way immediately; but it was just my inital reaction. I'm assuming that these new changes are not only for aesthetics, but indicative of online security improvements among other things. This is comforting to me. Personal security is very important to an online shopper. I could also assume that this new format will be easier to maintenance for RightStuf, because it is more up-to-date. Who knows what we could expect from this new system? Maybe some cool new features, such as the ability to see (or be notified) when previously released items come back into stock for a short period of time. I've noticed while sifting through the online catalogue that from time to time an item (ex: Strawberry Marshmallow vol. 2, DearS vol. 3, Brigadoon vol. 3, etc...) will show up (ever so briefly) and be gone the next time I think to check on it (or order it). Maybe this feature could be integrated to function somewhat like the new/changed items (which ofttimes doesn't list these small changes).

As always, keep up the good work RightStuf. I will endeavor to persevere, and acclimate myself to the new surroundings; and continue to be a loyal RightStuf customer.

Finally; I would like to note that I'm running the Lion operating system on my Mac and the site interface is running like a top.

#38032 - 05/24/12 11:08 PM Re: New website - some details of new features [Re: The Dark Lord]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
I hear you kiku....
eek *But I'm scared, I don't like change* eek

Originally Posted By: The Dark Lord
Search is a big component of the site relaunch, and we're moving to a much more intelligent search engine. Information is provided as a search over the entire site, products, news, podcasts, and more, and the ability to use operators and fuzzy logic with the search makes it much more powerful than the old version.

In the past if I put in a . or : or left out the word The, etc...
I'd get zip, what if I typed One Picee instead of One Piece.. etc.
Does it help if you're close but not dead on, word for word or misspelling?

I haven't tried it yet, I'm just saying

I am here, but it'll be a while till you see "more" of me grin

#38038 - 05/24/12 11:38 PM Re: New website - some details of new features [Re: BWBODDY]
Richard Harms Offline

UPSF Admiral

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa, US
Originally Posted By: BWBODDY
As an example, if you're not sure how to spell something, put a tilde (~) after the word. For example, "One Picee~".

#38039 - 05/25/12 12:16 AM Re: New website - some details of new features [Re: The Dark Lord]
hen-neko Offline
UPSF Ensign

The site looks great and the thumbnail search is nice, but there are many items whose descriptions are too long to fit (especially once it switches to 4-across thumbnails), and with volume numbers at the end of the description, it takes squinting at the thumbnails or clicking everything to figure out which volume is which, especially since it looks like the results aren't sorted by name anymore. For instance, searching for "sakura hime" gets me volumes 8 2 1 3 4 5 6 7 in that order.

I don't know if your database or sources can support it, but maybe it's time to add a separate volume number field so it can be shown separately from the title so the results can say:

Quote:
Series with a long title...
Vol: 82
Retail: $5000
Your Price: $8.99

But wait! Just think of all the other things that you could do with that! Since it'll be a number, the computer can sort them so that volume 10 comes after volume 9! laugh Also, in addition to the "other people bought" section, you could link all the other volumes in the series (bonus points for using checkboxes to add them all to the cart at once instead of having to open each item page) laugh Mixing box sets and singles might need a little thinking but it should still work.

(I went back to search for just "sakura" to see if everything came out in random order, and just now noticed the tooltips on the thumbnails have the full description field... but only on things with thumbnails, "image coming soon" doesn't show a tooltip.)

(Now that I poke around more, the "search the store" box from the bottom of an item page still uses the old non-thumbnail listing format with the wider Description column, so I can browse that way)

#38042 - 05/25/12 01:26 AM Re: New website - some details of new features [Re: Richard Harms]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: Richard Harms
As an example, if you're not sure how to spell something, put a tilde (~) after the word. For example, "One Picee~".

Now that is a good piece of information to know !!
Thanks !!
grin

#38044 - 05/25/12 01:32 AM Re: New website - some details of new features [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
That is a handy tidbit of information.

#38050 - 05/25/12 07:52 AM Re: New website - some details of new features [Re: kiku]
The Dark Lord Offline
UPSF Grand Fleet Admiral

Loc: Grimes, Iowa
We've added a "?" next to the search box so people can click for search tips.
www.rightstuf.com
darklord@rightstuf.com
Become a minion of the Dark Lord today!

#38052 - 05/25/12 10:00 AM Re: New website - some details of new features [Re: Richard Harms]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: Richard Harms

Will this search feature be carried over to the store section eventually? Or is it just a main page thing?

Currently, I like the fact that you can search using missed spelled words and the other unique functions. However, I don't like it pulling everything from your website (podcasts, news, etc...). When I go to Right Stuf, I solely search for products from your store.

#38053 - 05/25/12 10:57 AM Re: New website - some details of new features [Re: The Dark Lord]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Now that Iíve got some things figured out, Iím happier. grin

Now I see the RightStuf.Com Home page,
before I was only seeing what turned out to be the Anime Superstore page.

At first I thought it was the New, Very Bland and Very Ugly RightStuf.Com Home page.
So things are looking more familiar but different.

I am starting to see the Forest through the Treeís.
grin

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.