Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 13 of 19 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#35896 - 04/07/12 04:24 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Does that mean you have all of them on DVD, or is it a mix?

Cause to this day both Godzilla 1985, and Godzilla Vs Biollante are not on DVD in the US.

Also Megalon is not as well, though there were several boot-leg quality versions (made by legit companies), as well as the very rare MST3K version.

Though that drought will end in September of this year, when Media Blasters branch Tokyo Shock will finally get to do a bare-bones edition. Of course it still will come widescreen & have both the dubbed version as well as the Japanese version (which will be the first time that edition will be on DVD in the US).

They are hoping that eventually they will do a full fledged release, after Toho gives them the OK to do so.

The annoying thing about both Godzilla 1985, and Godzilla Vs Biollante is that even Toho is kinda unsure who has the licenses currently.

Since New World Pictures went kaput, Anchor Bay said they had G85, but some legal thing is mucking up the works. As for Biollante Mirimax has it, but they are a part of Disney now, so I kinda doubt it would get put out by them.

Not sure how much longer the licenses go, but hopefully by the time the Legendary Pictures Godzilla movie comes out (2013 more likely, maybe even 2014) there will be a renewed interest to put out better versions of several Godzilla movies including the ones not on a recent format.

Advertisement
#35909 - 04/07/12 02:55 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: EricDent]
CheechMonger Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Florida
I picked up Battle of the Warriors (a.k.a. Battle of Wits) yesterday at Wally World. I've been meaning to get it for awhile now, but never got around to it. Plus being marked $5.00 was incentive enough to finally get it. Plus I think it's one of the last Dragon Dynasty releases with a commentary track by Bey Logan, which I've enjoyed on teir other titles. Their more recent releases (including the Shaw Brothers titles I picked up earlier) have no extras at all; a far cry from their initial releases that were jammed with extras. At least I have the films, which is certainly a plus!

I also got the Icons of Sci-Fi Toho Collection, which includes The H-Man, Battle in Outer Space and Mothra. I've seen the latter two titles, but I can't say that I've ever seen The H-Man, so that will be interesting to check out. The only downside that I can see to this collection is that it comes in a stackpak frown It came in a regular case, so I thought it was a lite box at first. Somewhat disappointing, but I may have to invest in some alternate cases to replace this!

#35931 - 04/08/12 02:58 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
I used one of the ones from Mr BWBoddy to switch that particular set.

As for The H-Man it's pretty good.

Of course if you like Godzilla movies, you will see several actors/actresses from those movies in this (since Toho loved to use several of them in other movies).

#36016 - 04/10/12 01:04 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: EricDent
Does that mean you have all of them on DVD, or is it a mix?

Cause to this day both Godzilla 1985, and Godzilla Vs Biollante are not on DVD in the US.

Also Megalon is not as well, though there were several boot-leg quality versions (made by legit companies), as well as the very rare MST3K version.

I have copies of these three. Some are copies of foreign releases with the English dub. Not great, but decent copies. I too hope that someday soon these final films will get a release in this country.

The only ones I am missing are Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster and Godzilla vs. Gigan. They are going for big bucks online right now. They are cheap if you live in England. mad

#36259 - 04/15/12 02:20 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Nambu Hakase Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Just ordered Lie to Me with Yoon Eun Hye. Why isn't there a drool icon when you need one?

#36457 - 04/19/12 09:40 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
Purchased and watched Takashi Miike's Osaka Tough Guys. Pretty goofy movie with a low budget. One of his early films. Not great. Certainly a few hints of style as to what Miike would some day grow to be. Not really recommended.

Next up is The Way To Fight & then later Scrap Heaven.

#36477 - 04/19/12 04:35 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
Finally got around to veiwing the Delinquent Girl Bosses box set. It has two feature films from the early 70's exploitation days of Japanese cinema. I hated everything about the 1970's (except for Star Wars, John Wayne and the James Bond films) but the Japanese make it look like it would have been a fun time to work in cinema.

First was Delinquent Girl Boss. This was the better of the two and starred Reiko Oshida as the title character. She is a troubled youth fresh out of a delinquent school for girls who can't seem to get a break at going straight when she runs into a group of other graduates. Intanglements with the Yakuza of course happen. The film then takes a detour into the life of another character played by Junko Miyazono. Miyazono is best known for her work in the Tales of the Poisonous Seductress trilogy and Lady Snowblood. The second and third of the Seductress movies also co-starred Reiko Oshida who played a different character in each film.

The second film was Girl Boss Revenge: Sukeban. This story also depicts girl gang members only they are escaping custody. They are brought together under the leadership of the toughest girl who was a Sukeban. She soon butts heads with the town's old Sukeban who returns from an extended absence. This film then also deviates from the establish title character to be the story of the second girl.

Both films depicts the formula of gang sisterhood, the evil Yakuza and their mistreatment of women and the revenge the young women must enact. There is also the element of the tragic romance that continues to go badly and can the woman forgive the terrible transgression that comes between them.
Very adult subject matter with lots of violence and nudity. These movies along with others of their type was in response to the hold TV had on the Japanese audience of the time. Studios had to look to gritty subject matter loosely dubbed "Pinky Violence" to get people back into the theaters.

#36501 - 04/20/12 01:35 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
Way to Fight was a nice slice of life film. Not great, but certainly pleasant.

#36594 - 04/21/12 10:39 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Although not Asian exploitation cinema, have you ever seen Switchblade Sisters?

#36617 - 04/22/12 01:18 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Switchblade Sisters is a crazy movie. I am still not sure if that is a good or bad thing though.

Page 13 of 19 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.