#49514 - 03/12/13 10:06 PM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: sevi]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: sevi
Originally Posted By: kiku
Originally Posted By: EricDent
I agree with Kiku that places like Half Price Books or local used video stores are a gold mine when it comes to OOP stuff.

For example a local store that I like to browse in has the very rare complete collection version of Karin for about $140.

While looking in that particular store today I saw they had The Sacred Blacksmith used for $27.99 (it was the thin-pack version)
However at work we had the more recent version for $29.99, so after my discount it was $27.77 (before tax).
So I obviously bought it.

Since my fantasy shelf needed a bit more on it.

BTW any opinions on Melty Lancer (I think that's what it's called)?
I am not certain how many discs it has, but that local store had 2 of them.

Considering that they are called "Half Price" those series you listed were pretty much standard prices for used copies of Karin and Sacred Blacksmith sounded a tad overpriced since you were able to get it for less new. Not to mention they probably gave the people who brought them in around $5.
Yes, I believe that the point EricDent was focusing on with Karin was more the fact that it was available than it's price quotient. I would be hard pressed to pass up Karin if it was in good condition.

Maybe the store he goes to is better than the one near me. I might be a little biased against the store because of my experiences. I just figured, for a discount store, they're more than willing to charge as much as possible for certain items. Sorry if what I said came across as rude. It was not intended to be.
No worries Sevi, and you bring up a good point as well. One must be wary of letting said Brick & Mortar store rake you over the coals. Just because they happen to have a rare tiem, doesn't mean one should blindly pay hundreds of dollars for it. Conversely, sometimes they aren't aware of the value of an item; so you can get it for a song. The moral of the story: take heart and keep your eyes peeled.

Advertisement
#49515 - 03/12/13 10:06 PM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: Chrisc]
formerroadie Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Loc: Texas... in other words, Hell
Just got: Tenchi Universe Complete, Tenchi OVA Collection and Genshiken Complete Collection

#49516 - 03/12/13 10:08 PM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: sevi]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
The fye near where I live has gotten rid of their entire anime section. The reason they're telling everyone is that they weren't selling well. But one of the guys I know who works at the store told me the real reason is because groups of teenagers were going in and stealing them pretty frequently.
That's sad to hear. Another one bites the dust. Yet another store is closing it's doors on the world of anime. What is this world coming to? I dearly miss the days of Sun Coast, Media Play, and Musicland's extensive anime sections.

#49521 - 03/12/13 10:37 PM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: Chrisc]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
"BTW any opinions on Melty Lancer (I think that's what it's called)?
I am not certain how many discs it has, but that local store had 2 of them."

That's all there are-2 discs, Alpha and Omega-as for the show it's not too bad-but not too good either-I'd give it a 6.5 out of a possible 10-btw, I have it.

#49523 - 03/13/13 12:56 AM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: Chrisc]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Round Rock, TX
Thanks ZRDB for the feedback on that.

#49524 - 03/13/13 01:10 AM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: Chrisc]
oldcharlie55 Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: New York
I have officially lost my mind. A few nights ago, after watching a review of Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser I bought a used copy from Amazon for about $40. I could have saved a bit by getting the "movie" version but I went for the 2-episode OVA version. Another title to add to my "bad anime" collection.

I just got an email from SecondSpin that my order has shipped; the above title and Bounty Dog have shipped from Amazon.

#49526 - 03/13/13 07:57 AM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: oldcharlie55]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: oldcharlie55
I have officially lost my mind. A few nights ago, after watching a review of Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser I bought a used copy from Amazon for about $40. I could have saved a bit by getting the "movie" version but I went for the 2-episode OVA version. Another title to add to my "bad anime" collection.

I just got an email from SecondSpin that my order has shipped; the above title and Bounty Dog have shipped from Amazon.

I see Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser listed there for $25.xx used ( very good ) ....

I've bought watched and sold bothTitles, the 17+ rating & Fanservice wasn't enough to save them.

#49528 - 03/13/13 10:04 AM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: BWBODDY]
oldcharlie55 Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: BWBODDY

I've bought watched and sold bothTitles, the 17+ rating & Fanservice wasn't enough to save them.

As noted in my post, the one selling for $25 was the movie version which was edited from the OVA. Oddly, the OVA is billed as "rounds 1 & 2" but it's actually 3 episodes, the encyclopedia listing at ANN indicates the one I bought has all 3 episodes. I just hope the listing was accurate, unlike when I ordered what was supposed to be the artbox and singles for "Real Bout High School" and got what appears to be a bootleg digipak.

#49531 - 03/13/13 12:49 PM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: oldcharlie55]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: BWBODDY

As noted in my post, the one selling for $25 was the movie version which was edited from the OVA. Oddly, the OVA is billed as "rounds 1 & 2" but it's actually 3 episodes, the encyclopedia listing at ANN indicates the one I bought has all 3 episodes. I just hope the listing was accurate, unlike when I ordered what was supposed to be the artbox and singles for "Real Bout High School" and got what appears to be a bootleg digipak.

Real Bout
I recently ordered from Amazon > Real Bout High School < it came in the Big Orange/Red Art Box.
I liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to.

Voltage Fighter
When I bought mine, I read all of the stuff about both releases.
I think the one just listed as Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser for $25.xx was the better buy
and not because of the Money, but the content.

Edited by BWBODDY (03/13/13 01:10 PM)

#49536 - 03/13/13 03:14 PM Re: What anime did you just buy? [Re: oldcharlie55]
J.E.S. Offline
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Philadelphia, PA

I LOVE Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser !
It's pure delicious cheesy cheese! yummy
The main draw for me was that it was directed by Masami Obari AND has character designs by Tsukasa Kotobuki. Double win for me! laugh

Page 467 of 671 < 1 2 ... 465 466 467 468 469 ... 670 671 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.