Start Shopping! Cart
Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#49678 - 03/15/13 06:27 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: sevi]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: sevi
So maybe the whole "reverse harem" idea is purely an American thing?

Most of these terms are probably "western world only" in their meanings.
Heck, from the Japanese point of view Bambi is an anime, while in the western world we use anime to specifically refer to Japanese animation...

(AniDB, Anime-planet and probably also other database sites do have a "reverse harem" tag)

Advertisement
#49684 - 03/15/13 08:57 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: sevi]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Nope. That would be called Yaoi, hun wink

I know, I was just joking.

Harem really just means Forbidden Place/Room. It was the term given to the place where females stayed in the Middle East. So a reverse harem does kind of make sense to be a place mainly filled with males.

#49690 - 03/15/13 10:26 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: Cheap One]
sevi Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Cheap One
Nope. That would be called Yaoi, hun wink

I know, I was just joking.

Harem really just means Forbidden Place/Room. It was the term given to the place where females stayed in the Middle East. So a reverse harem does kind of make sense to be a place mainly filled with males.

So then Ooku: The Inner Chamber would be the most apt "reverse harem" series ever as features an actual male harem. And also I knew you were kidding, I was just kidding you back smile

#49700 - 03/16/13 12:29 AM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Ha ha! ROFL! It's nice to have this activity in this topic. We need MOAR anime and manga subculture terminology.

MOAR

def.: Used in place of the word "more" to emphasize it, and to sound like a pirate.

#49768 - 03/18/13 03:44 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
So, why wouldn't they simply be called "Traps" either way (M-F or F-M)? To me, "Reverse Traps" would mean that the characters in question turned out to be the sexes they outwardly appeared as, even though other characters (and/or the audience) thought they were traps (presumably, because of misinformation or disinformation).
Originally Posted By: SD Maruko-kun
Well, I guess the answer to that question is probably something like: "because most anime is predominantly aimed at males, there's some gender discrimination w.r.t. naming things"...

My question was mainly rhetorical, but that's exactly right. What's reverse to one person might be regular to another, and there's certainly a cultural bias. That being said, my favorite traps are probably Sherry in E's Otherwise, followed by Nuriko in Fushigi Yugi. Neither character's secret lasts for very long, but each one is loveable in her own way.

#49783 - 03/18/13 10:03 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Is anybody else wondering how Stefanie did that?

#49788 - 03/18/13 10:33 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku
Is anybody else wondering how Stefanie did that?

Sadly no. If you go to the full reply. You just change your text color to white. She knows we all have white backgrounds, so it "hides" the text.

#49791 - 03/18/13 11:00 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: Cheap One]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Oh, I see. Thank you Cheap One. whistle

#49793 - 03/18/13 11:07 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.

I hope everyone who reads her Post realizes they can just click on Quote and read what she wrote.

#49794 - 03/18/13 11:26 PM Re: Anime/Manga subculture terminology [Re: BWBODDY]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: BWBODDY

I hope everyone who reads her Post realizes they can just click on Quote and read what she wrote.

All you really have to do is click on the text. I go to another board that uses that trick for spoilers. So I am very use to doing it already.

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.