Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#31282 - 01/11/12 12:02 AM Yet another US anime company in trouble....
EricDent Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Media Blasters laid off most of their staff.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-10/media-blasters-lays-off-60-percent-of-its-staff

They say they will still release the stuff they are planning on releaseing, but I would expect long delays.

Advertisement
#31284 - 01/11/12 06:27 AM Re: Yet another US anime company in trouble.... [Re: EricDent]
Nambu Hakase Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Hope they can hold out. There's a lot of their stuff that are my favorites.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=7

#31287 - 01/11/12 10:25 AM Re: Yet another US anime company in trouble.... [Re: EricDent]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
John is one of those guys that fights tooth and nail, so I don't see Media Blasters going anywhere. Not to mention, the company is privately owned and not own by Japan.

FWIW, Bandai has been running on a 5 full-time employ crew for the past few years. That was until Japan stepped in recently and downsized them even more.

Edited by joelgundam01 (01/11/12 04:17 PM)

#31294 - 01/11/12 02:56 PM Re: Yet another US anime company in trouble.... [Re: EricDent]
J.E.S. Offline
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
NOooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not Media Blasters!
There like one of the last companies that DOESN'T cram 6to7 eps a disk.
Seriously....I hope they pull through...
Ughh...
It's not the end of the world, but it feels like the end of the US anime market...
cry

Sorry, I know I shouldn't over-react like that...
Pull through John! Pull through! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

#31297 - 01/11/12 03:07 PM Re: Yet another US anime company in trouble.... [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I'm doing my part as a consumer. I just bought The Twelve Kingdoms (Anime Works) and a few titles (Kitty) that would be better off mentioned in a different forum. I put my money where my mouth is. Go Media Blasters!

#31299 - 01/11/12 04:16 PM Re: Yet another US anime company in trouble.... [Re: EricDent]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
I've done my part too.... Soooo, much of my Anime is Media Blasters!
I'm sure they will be okay
( fingers crossed )

#31304 - 01/11/12 07:11 PM Re: Yet another US anime company in trouble.... [Re: EricDent]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
I don't really think Media Blasters is in trouble-they've done this kind of thing before in years past-I wouldn't worry about it. Chicken Little-"The sky is falling, the sky is falling".

#31317 - 01/11/12 10:41 PM Re: Yet another US anime company in trouble.... [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: zrdb
I don't really think Media Blasters is in trouble-they've done this kind of thing before in years past-I wouldn't worry about it. Chicken Little-"The sky is falling, the sky is falling".
Yeah, it's hard to believe that Media Blasters (AnimeWorks?/Kitty Media?) could be in any sort of trouble simply based on the sheer volume of their products purchased by the users of this forum alone.

#31365 - 01/12/12 06:25 PM Re: Yet another US anime company in trouble.... [Re: EricDent]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
Actually if you go to ANN's archives you'll find that this exact same thing happened 2 years or so ago.

#31386 - 01/12/12 10:05 PM Re: Yet another US anime company in trouble.... [Re: EricDent]
oldcharlie55 Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: New York
I also don't think it's time to panic yet. According to an article on ANN they just posted a picture of the cover art for an upcoming (and so far unannounced) release of a season one boxset for Fushigi Yugi.

Actually, Section23 licensing a show a day (like they seem to be doing lately) worries me a bit more in the long run.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.