Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#31018 - 01/06/12 07:47 PM DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......!
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
We all have anime series/ovas that we knew should we have gotten before it went oop-and end up kicking ourselves in the a** for being so stupid. What are your gaffes?

One of mine was box 8 of Maison Ikkoku.

Advertisement
#31023 - 01/06/12 09:46 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
Chalryn Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Walden, NY
This is practically a daily struggle for me, since much of what I'm interested in is aimed at the niche crowds. <_< Everything I want winds up going out of production, and then third-party sale prices skyrocket to the point that you just about have to sell your soul to afford it.

To name one, off the top of my head, I'm still pretty pissed that I didn't pick up Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (Blu-ray) back when RightStuf still had a handful in stock (and for cheap). I have the lame DreamWorks version of the movie on DVD, so I was excited when I discovered that Bandai actually released it with a full dub and whatnot, and on BD to boot. Nowadays, it goes for something like $100+. One movie. One hundred dollars. -_- Even the DVD version(s) go for quite a bit. Meanwhile, in the UK, they even have a dual-pack of GitS 2.0 + Innocence on Blu-ray. Sigh. If only importing didn't mean needing a separate player. (Not to mention still overpaying for the product itself.)

The list goes on and on, and continues to grow longer. "Frustrating" is an understatement. With luck, I'll hopefully be picking up Wolf's Rain's Anime Legends box set in the near future, since that's another title falling into this category now.

MAL: Currently Watching, Completed

#31024 - 01/06/12 09:49 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
Cardcaptor Sakura. I think I was just beginning to collect anime as the last volumes of that series were coming out. I didn't understand the significance of it until it was well out-of-print, and now collecting it would be prohibitively expensive. I keep hoping someone will give it a license rescue, but I suspect that the licensing cost would make that an impossible dream. frown

#31025 - 01/06/12 10:14 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
ninjachad Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

When They Cry. I saw it at FYE maybe over two years ago, or so. At that time, I think I was just beginning to collect anime. It was about $50. Why didn't I buy it? I thought it was too expensive.. cry

Edited by ninjachad (01/06/12 10:17 PM)

#31026 - 01/06/12 10:53 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Nanoha season 2, saw it used at a local comic store, when they were selling off all their rental DVDs. Should have grabbed it, but I did not.

Also was going to get Doki Doki School Hours for really cheap, but they decided to donate the leftover stuff to a local library.

#31031 - 01/07/12 12:31 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Great idea for a topic zrdb!

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Fate/Stay Night
Shakugan No Shana
Familiar Of Zero
Chibi Vampire

#31034 - 01/07/12 01:35 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: ninjachad]
Nambu Hakase Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Commander

Originally Posted By: ninjachad
When They Cry. I saw it at FYE maybe over two years ago, or so. At that time, I think I was just beginning to collect anime. It was about $50. Why didn't I buy it? I thought it was too expensive.. cry

I bought that a couple months ago for $130. I figured the price would only go higher.

#31040 - 01/07/12 03:14 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Nambu Hakase]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I was lucky enough to find an acquaintance who sold it to me for $80.00, although their initials were on every disc. I used isopropyl alcohol, but there is still a very light remaining ink. It's barely noticeable.

#31070 - 01/07/12 04:43 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Another one of my boo boos was not getting all of Kimagure Orange Road tv-but I was able to rectify that thanks to Netflix and some good quality dvd blanks-burn and return.

#31085 - 01/07/12 07:07 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
Nambu Hakase Offline

That must have been some time ago. I doubt Netflix still has all the volumes.

#31093 - 01/07/12 09:49 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Yeah-I haven't used Netflix for a couple of years, it got to the point where I had exhausted all of the anime they had and wasn't interested in all the other genres they had for rent.

#31113 - 01/07/12 11:57 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
oldcharlie55 Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: New York
The one regret that I have in this regard is that I did not make more of an effort to see if I could put together the artbox and singles for Kanon. ADV did not get all of it out before Sojitz pulled the plug and FUNimation only made a few copies of the last volume. Instead I ended up with FUNimation's crappy-crap release, crammed on 4 DVDs with all extras stripped and in a paper sleeve. I should have waited for the S.A.V.E. edition which actually has better packaging and cost half as much.

I've paid through the nose a bit for a couple of items ($55 for a used copy of BAOH and about $65 for the Crusher Joe set). I also had the opposite happen once. I had wanted to buy a copy of the Bastard! OVA that someone was selling on Ebay for about $15 but forgot; for a long time the cheapest one I saw was $50. Then one day I spotted a copy being auctioned and won it for about $7.25.

I've been pretty fortunate as far as not missing too much that I wanted. For instance, with the Geneon titles that FUNimation was distributing I think the only ones I missed were the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha sets which I had no interest in. I got most of the others, but just by dumb luck because I had no idea they would suddenly disappear any more than anyone else did.

#31141 - 01/08/12 12:50 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

There were a lot of those titles that ADV lost because of the Sojitz fiasco that went to crapamation and they slaughtered their releases of them-ADV releases that come to mind that I have-Air, Pani Poni Dash, Karau-Phantom Memory, Magikano, Moonlight Mile, Innocent Venus-the ADV releases are infinitely superior to the re-releases.

#31156 - 01/08/12 10:59 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Meaning they stripped the extras or is the audio/video quality suspect?

#31167 - 01/08/12 11:23 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Mostly extras like the very interesting ADVidnotes on Pani Poni Dash where it explains the chalkboard notes & other references during that show (and there are a TON of them).

#31171 - 01/08/12 11:40 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

It seems a shame to strip a show of those extras. frown I would venture a guess that it would almost be less work for the studio rereleasing a title to retain those already present features than to remove them. I assume that there is some other, more nefarious reasons for their absence; such as the license purchased by the rereleasing studio doesn't include the extras because they were originally made by the studio selling the license. I've often gotten the vibe that there may be enmity between some studios. More realistically, the rereleasing studio simply didn't want to pay for the extras. It's possible that the actual content and extras are separate licenses. Why pay for the license for the special features when they can just rerelease the anime without purchasing said second license? It could also be more of a political problem. Maybe Funimation (for example) is forbidden by it's board of directors to include features/content produced by competitors such as ADV (for example). If this were the case then Funimation (for example) could purchase the rights to an anime formally licensed by ADV (for example), but not it's ADV (for example) special features.

Sorry 'bout the tangent. I enjoyed my flight of fancy. I hope it wasn't too tiresome for you. sweat

#31184 - 01/09/12 12:30 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Well since the ADVidnotes were exclusive to ADV, Funimation could not use them.

They greatly resemble the notes on the "Pop-Up Video" show on VH1/MTV.
Where they tell you interesting facts about whatever music video you are watching.

BTW if you have the series Negima!? (the one by the same people as Pani Poni Dash) you might have seen a frog that says "in a good way!" quite often.
That frog can also be seen in Pani Poni Dash if you are paying attention.
Also there is a song in both shows that sounds identical, sort of a "happy lalala" song.

#31219 - 01/09/12 10:13 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

The only problem that I had with the ADVidnotes was there was so much text going on at once I'd have to frequently hit pause to read everything.

#31221 - 01/09/12 10:16 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Now that you mention it; there is the possibility that the rereleasing company simply chose not to include said extras.

#31222 - 01/09/12 10:17 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's not a good idea to attempt the Japanese version & do the Vidnotes as well.

#31232 - 01/10/12 08:58 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Yeah-not unless you're a really good speed reader.

#31434 - 01/13/12 09:33 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I checked-a lot of Bandai stuff is starting to go up in price-blame it on those g*****n price gougers on a****n and elsewhere.

#31440 - 01/14/12 12:07 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Amen! I say let 'em rot with their product collecting dust, f???ing parasites! There's plenty of other great anime out there to bide our time with while they come to their senses. And if they don't; well, like I said: "There's plenty of other great anime out there."

#31442 - 01/14/12 02:15 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Well if somehow the licences expire on their own stuff (which apparently did happen with Scrapped Princess), I am sure that Funimation or Sentai would be happy to grab something like Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop.

Kind of wondering since they already announced the 3rd series of Code Geass, and a Code Geass movie in the works as well, what's going to happen with those?

BTW there is also a Code Geass stage play with an all male cast (I guess not too many Japanese girls could fill the shapely roles of C.C., Shirley, or Kallen).

#31455 - 01/14/12 11:55 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

That's one play that I'll avoid like the plague.

#35470 - 03/28/12 06:25 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Let's resurrect an old thread-I wish that I'd gotten the originial Captain Tylor box set before it went oop and got priced sky high-I do have the ova box set though.

#35475 - 03/28/12 11:14 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

BTW they have pictures of the cast of the play mentioned above on ANN.
For a guy, boy does Euphemia look nice...

Anyhow I just missed out on a couple of OOP items.
When that local comic store that rented anime was selling all the former rentals, I was going to grab Nanoha season 2, Familiar of Zero, and Karin.
But before I could somebody got Nanoha, and the other 2 were donated to a local library.

#35516 - 03/29/12 08:39 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Yeah-early last year when BB was having a super sale on the Geneon rescues that crapamation was distributing that have since gone oop I picked up a ton of stuff-except for the box set of Black Lagoon which I passed on-but thank god I was able to rectify that for not too much money.

#35521 - 03/29/12 09:08 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: EricDent]
Vata Raven Offline

Loc: TN
Originally Posted By: EricDent
Well if somehow the licences expire on their own stuff (which apparently did happen with Scrapped Princess), I am sure that Funimation or Sentai would be happy to grab something like Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop.

Kind of wondering since they already announced the 3rd series of Code Geass, and a Code Geass movie in the works as well, what's going to happen with those?

BTW there is also a Code Geass stage play with an all male cast (I guess not too many Japanese girls could fill the shapely roles of C.C., Shirley, or Kallen).

If they do lisence Cowboy or Outlaw Star, they better get the remasters. I don't see RS running out of stock with some Bandai stuff any time soon.

#38436 - 06/03/12 09:23 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
samuraisgt Offline

Loc: Jacksonville,IL,US
theres a few series I wish I had before they vanished.Gun Smith Cats is one that I really want.

#38440 - 06/03/12 11:28 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: samuraisgt]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I'd like to see GSC too. It's in my list in the Nozomi Entertainment Licensing Suggestions & Requests 2012" topic.

#38442 - 06/04/12 12:36 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

BTW just to clear up something, I guess I read it wrong.
It's not an all male cast in that Code Geass stage play, there are girls involved.
I think I got confused due to the article saying all the male cast members in costume.

Somebody on another forum said something about Familiar of Zero.
Kinda odd that something that was kinda popular at one time still has not been rescued yet

#38445 - 06/04/12 09:58 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: EricDent]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Loc: Netherlands
Kinda odd that something that was kinda popular at one time still has not been rescued yet

If it was actually popular, why would the second season have stayed unlicenced/unreleased?

OOP stuff on my wishlist I probably won't manage to buy anymore (I refuse to pay over suggested retail price...)
- Gundam MS Igloo
- Birdy the Mighty OVA (one of the 2 DVDs is reasonably priced, the other $75+ -_- )
- Orguss TV (was a "print on demand" title...)

#38451 - 06/04/12 10:59 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: kiku
I'd like to see GSC too. It's in my list in the Nozomi Entertainment Licensing Suggestions & Requests 2012" topic.

Gunsmith Cats is one of the first Animes I saw on a DVD Trailer and I just had to have it... I'm glad I did find it at (A*****) grin

A lot of the Anime I bought when I first started buying was from the Trailers I saw in the extras section of DVD's
that I bought from watching the Trailers on DVD's that I bought..... grin
*Itís a Vicious Circle*

#38454 - 06/04/12 11:16 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: SD Maruko-kun

If it was actually popular, why would the second season have stayed unlicenced/unreleased?

According to Sophie (admin) from the Funimation forums. The title sold poorly along with When They Cry. She went out of her way to indicate that, since they get so many requests on the two titles.

It seems that a lot of streamers (and free loaders) enjoyed the title, but didn't bother buying the show on DVD.

#38456 - 06/04/12 11:27 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: joelgundam01]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: joelgundam01

According to Sophie (admin) from the Funimation forums. The title sold poorly along with When They Cry. She went out of her way to indicate that, since they get so many requests on the two titles.

It seems that a lot of streamers (and free loaders) enjoyed the title, but didn't bother buying the show on DVD.

When They Cry = Awesome grin

#38460 - 06/04/12 12:24 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Familiar Of Zero's been in my list in the "Nozomi Entertainment Licensing Suggestions & Requests" topic for some time now. I'd preorder it in a New York minute if it was available from RightStuf.

#38462 - 06/04/12 12:34 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

OOP stuff on my wishlist I probably won't manage to buy anymore (I refuse to pay over suggested retail price...)
- Gundam MS Igloo
- Birdy the Mighty OVA (one of the 2 DVDs is reasonably priced, the other $75+ -_- )
Don't give up hope SD Maruko-kun. Believe it or not, I just picked up both of the old school Birdie The Mighty OVA's (Double Trouble and Final Force) and Super Dimension Century Orguss Two for less than $10.00 each from a resale shop. Take heart and keep your eyes peeled at resale shops and you just might find what you desire.

"You only need to realize that the entire universe is bending over backward to shower you with blessing."

#38463 - 06/04/12 12:39 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: BWBODDY

Gunsmith Cats is one of the first Animes I saw on a DVD Trailer and I just had to have it... I'm glad I did find it at (A*****) grin

A lot of the Anime I bought when I first started buying was from the Trailers I saw in the extras section of DVD's
*Itís a Vicious Circle*
Gunsmith Cats was made for kiku. I only need for someone to relicense it so I can preoder it from RightStuf. Another title that you mentioned in a different topic that is right up my alley is The Adventures Of Kotetsu.

#38464 - 06/04/12 12:41 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: joelgundam01]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I'd have a smoking keyboard from how fast I preordered When They Cry if it showed up in RightStuf's "new/changed items" section!

#38468 - 06/04/12 01:42 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

*Itís a Vicious Circle*
Gunsmith Cats was made for kiku. I only need for someone to relicense it so I can preoder it from RightStuf. Another title that you mentioned in a different topic that is right up my alley is The Adventures Of Kotetsu.

Yes I would rather get all my Anime here, but RightStuf isnít All Powerful, after all.
*Just "Mostly" All Powerful*

#38474 - 06/04/12 05:06 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

RS is my place of choice-but if I can't find it there and it's something that I really, really want I'll move heaven and earth to acquire it.

#38588 - 06/06/12 05:52 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: joelgundam01]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Hmm, I've supported the Higurashi franchise pretty well: I've got the US DVD release, the Japanses Higurashi, Higurashi Kai and Higurashi Rei sound novels, the Mangagamer Higurashi sound novel (probably also buying their Kai sometime in the future), the English manga, 16 small figures and one bigger figure and am contemplating if I should buy the 2 Australian Higurashi Kai DVD sets or wait for a full season set... wink

- Gundam MS Igloo
Don't give up hope SD Maruko-kun. Believe it or not, I just picked up both of the old school Birdie The Mighty OVA's (Double Trouble and Final Force) and Super Dimension Century Orguss Two for less than $10.00 each from a resale shop.

I already have Orguss 02 UK version (see sig). Orguss TV is the difficult one to find. AFAIK the US release was of the type "there's no 'in stock', but whenever someone orders it, 1 DVD set is produced for that person". So any set going up for sale anywhere would not be from leftover stock at a shop, but would have to be one of the very few people who originally bought a set selling theirs...
About Birdy: oh, nice find. Unfortunately here in the Netherlands I'm limited to eBay and Amazon to find such rare US DVD releases... :-|

Edited by SD Maruko-kun (06/06/12 05:53 PM)

#39302 - 06/29/12 01:25 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I go over to Fandom Post or ANN and read about the stuff here in the Bargain Bin being down to 1 or 2 of a particular item and how somebody bemoans not being able to get it-strike while the iron is hot people-it ya want it don't wait, go for it. I've been the person who got the last item in stock many times from RS because I was preservent and proactive about it. Of course you could always go over to RACS and pay the super inflated prices that are charged there if you're a fool.

#39310 - 06/29/12 03:19 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Too true zrdb, words to live by. Anime is a fickle mistress. You must have the resolution to "go for it" if you want something. Get it before it's gone. Sometimes a title gets rereleased/rescued and sometimes it doesn't. More often than not, it gets rereleased/rescued if enough people had the resolution to go for it. Big companies read big numbers. It might hurt the pocketbook now, but it'll hurt more if you miss the boat and have to hunt it up from a reseller later.

#41468 - 09/01/12 01:54 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Add anything Bandai to your list now while the getting is good.

#41593 - 09/07/12 05:12 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
KILLRENJI Offline
UPSF Ensign

Loc: Montana
I have been collecting for about ten years and there have been a ton of series i wished i would have bought.
One that comes to mind is Paranoia Agent. Asking price for that set is beyond rediculous!!
With that said i am going to start buying more Bandai titles for fear of rising prices. Already started today.

I was fortunate enough to buy a Tenchi Muyo OVA boxed set. It was pricey back then. I don't know what they actually sell for. I have looked at some of the asking prices and i couldnt believe it.

Supply and Demand blah! sick

#41594 - 09/07/12 05:33 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: KILLRENJI]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: KILLRENJI
I have been collecting for about ten years and there have been a ton of series i wished i would have bought.
One that comes to mind is Paranoia Agent. Asking price for that set is beyond rediculous!!
With that said i am going to start buying more Bandai titles for fear of rising prices. Already started today.

I was fortunate enough to buy a Tenchi Muyo OVA boxed set. It was pricey back then. I don't know what they actually sell for. I have looked at some of the asking prices and i couldnt believe it.

(1) Welcome to the Forum KILLRENJI
(2) Paranoia Agent, OMG, I know, I want that Series so bad
Sooner or later itís got to get a re-release ( at a decent price)
(3) Your Avatar, itís from Wizards right ?

#41598 - 09/07/12 05:42 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Still trying to find Clamp School Detectives for a decent price.

#41601 - 09/07/12 06:11 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
It's from Wizards, yes. 'ol Ralph Bakshi.

#41607 - 09/07/12 10:30 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Gevin]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I've got Wizards on DVD... pure Bakshi awesomeness!

#41616 - 09/08/12 08:10 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Gevin]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: Gevin
It's from Wizards, yes. 'ol Ralph Bakshi.

laugh

#41625 - 09/08/12 03:13 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Yup, plus......
Fire and Ice
Fritz the Cat
The Lord of the Rings
( animated )

#41635 - 09/08/12 05:38 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Fritz The Cat-x rated to the max-Fire And Ice was done with the late Frank Frazetta.

#41636 - 09/08/12 07:33 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: BWBODDY]
KILLRENJI Offline
UPSF Ensign

Yes it is Blackwolf from Wizards. Love the ending of that show. I

Originally Posted By: KILLRENJI

(1) Welcome to the Forum KILLRENJI
(2) Paranoia Agent, OMG, I know, I want that Series so bad
Sooner or later itís got to get a re-release ( at a decent price)
(3) Your Avatar, itís from Wizards right ?

#41640 - 09/08/12 08:57 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Yup, plus......
Fire and Ice
Fritz the Cat
The Lord of the Rings
( animated )
Fire and Ice is on my shelf too.

#41649 - 09/09/12 07:35 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: kiku]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Yup, plus......
Fire and Ice
Fritz the Cat
The Lord of the Rings
( animated )
Fire and Ice is on my shelf too.

I have a very ratty old copy of Fire And Ice on vhs (if you can belive that)-gotta get the bluray of it asap!!

#41750 - 09/13/12 04:54 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before, but...

Since The Anime Network is streaming season 1 of You're Under Arrest, and Sentai Filmworks has the licenses for season 2 and season 3, does anyone know whether there are plans in the works for Sentai to nab the license for season 1 and re-release it?

I'd consider purchasing the Animeigo version, but volumes 10 and 11 seem to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Edited by Manhiem (09/13/12 04:55 PM)

#41751 - 09/13/12 06:00 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Your guess is as good as mine-but it would make sense as they already have the other 2 seasons-and it's already dubbed.

#41847 - 09/15/12 10:42 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
LaughingMan Offline

Loc: Niagara Falls. Canada
Sailor Moon. God, I'd do anything to go back in time and buy the boxed set... though back when it was available, I wasn't as heavily into anime.

Another series or two I wish I'd bought before they went MIA? Great Teacher Onizuka and Nana

#41854 - 09/16/12 03:55 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Add Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and A's to the list.

#41863 - 09/16/12 05:28 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I'd like to see the Nanoha series (re)released in it's entirety as well.

#41889 - 09/16/12 11:10 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

We never got the third season of Nanoha.

With the major popularity of Madoka Magika, kinda surprised nobody wants to test their luck with Nanoha.
Though to be fair I think Funimation did try about the same time as Karin, Why They Cry, Kamichu, and Familiar of Zero.

#41895 - 09/16/12 11:43 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Unfortunately, Nanoha seems to be one of those anime where the fans will loudly sing its praises, and yet never buy a single DVD (kind of like Lucky Star). I was fortunate enough to be able to buy both of the seasons that were released here, but by the time I was ready to buy a loaner/backup copy, A's was already gone, and the first season soon followed. I think that the series was on the store shelves for less than a year. frown

I'd like to see the whole series brought over, especially now that I've heard rumors of a 4th season in the works.

Edited by Manhiem (09/16/12 11:45 PM)

#41898 - 09/17/12 12:00 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Manhiem]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Loc: Pennsylvania
Let's face it. Most manga and anime receive very little marketing in America and are sold in a way that requires a constantly high sales quota for a very fickle group of consumers. Who would want to become a fan of a genre which is constantly misrepresented in the media and is very likely to be dropped because it didn't make it into some arbitrary top 10 list?

#41903 - 09/17/12 09:45 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: sevi]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Originally Posted By: sevi
Who would want to become a fan of a genre which is constantly misrepresented in the media...?
Would you care to expound on that? I mean, I have heard before that the perception of the general populace is that anime is for 9 year-olds and perverts, so is that what you are referring to, or are you talking about something else? Personally, I don't see much discussion of anime in the mainstream media at all.

I could go on a rant now about whether or not the perception of the general populace is accurate, but I'll save that for another time.

#41908 - 09/17/12 10:43 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Manhiem]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: Manhiem
Who would want to become a fan of a genre which is constantly misrepresented in the media...?
Would you care to expound on that? I mean, I have heard before that the perception of the general populace is that anime is for 9 year-olds and perverts, so is that what you are referring to, or are you talking about something else? Personally, I don't see much discussion of anime in the mainstream media at all.

I could go on a rant now about whether or not the perception of the general populace is accurate, but I'll save that for another time.
Hey now; I'm an anime fan, and I'm neither a 9 year-old nor a... well I'm not a nine year-old.

#41911 - 09/17/12 10:56 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

LOL! laugh

#41915 - 09/17/12 01:57 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Hey now; I'm an anime fan, and I'm neither a 9 year-old nor a... well I'm not a nine year-old.

Family Guy has made a few Funny ( but not flattering ) jokes about those who like Anime.
I think one of them was something likeÖ
Anime is nothing but 9 ( yep, 9 ) year old girls being chased by Octopi.
All I know is I thought it was funny ( no matter how stinging it may have been )

Iíve found that the only area that they seem to lack in, when it comes to making fun.
Is with "Liberalism".

I think that they must of finally gotten the hint,
which is why they did the episode where Brian Get a Man Crush on Rush Limbaugh (spelling ? )
And it was funny too grin

I just see it as a case ofÖ
*They were having so much fun making fun of others that they forgot to make fun of themselves *
I think theyíre getting better at it though

Edited by BWBODDY (09/17/12 03:46 PM)
Edit Reason: yes I do mean flattering, thanks

#41919 - 09/17/12 03:18 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: BWBODDY]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Family Guy has made a few Funny (but not faltering) jokes about those who like Anime.
Do you mean "flattering"?

#41922 - 09/17/12 03:51 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Manhiem]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Family Guy has made a few Funny (but not faltering) jokes about those who like Anime.
Do you mean "flattering"?

Why yes, yes I do laugh
*I changed it*

#42370 - 09/17/12 06:19 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I was tempted to ask why Savi is even here?

It's pretty obvious that everybody here is a fan of anime.
As well as avid supporters of purchasing anime/manga.

Quite frankly there are very very few anime with 9 year old girls being chased by octopi.

Yes the media loves to blow anything dealing with popular media way out of proportion. Though to be fair there have been some disturbed kids who brought Death Notes to class. In one sad case a young man suffocated due to trying a Naruto jutsu.

Unless it's a main stream mega blockbuster, hardly ANY DVD or book releases get any sort of advertising.

#42372 - 09/17/12 06:39 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: EricDent]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I was tempted to ask why Savi is even here?

It's pretty obvious that everybody here is a fan of anime.
As well as avid supporters of purchasing anime/manga.

Quite frankly there are very very few anime with 9 year old girls being chased by octopi.

Yes the media loves to blow anything dealing with popular media way out of proportion. Though to be fair there have been some disturbed kids who brought Death Notes to class. In one sad case a young man suffocated due to trying a Naruto jutsu.

Unless it's a main stream mega blockbuster, hardly ANY DVD or book releases get any sort of advertising.

Iím in total agreement with you.

Oh, I believe that Anime joke on Family Guy was really referencing 18+ Animes.
I think it was during the episode when Peter does Crack.
( Someone on the Family Guy Staff knows their Adult Anime, I think )

#42375 - 09/17/12 07:11 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: BWBODDY]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Or, maybe all he ever saw of anime was one episode of Tantei Opera Milky Holmes.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/tantei-opera-milky-holmes/episode-7-tricks-of-the-sun-560826?p360=1
Start at about 17:00 or 17:20

Or the pool episode of My Otome
Or the OVA beach episode of Shin Koihime Musou
Or the series Squid Girl (wait, in that one, the 9 year old girl is the squid...)

Granted, most of these girls aren't 9, but some of them are pretty young.

Oh, and then there was the episode of Angelic Layer where Mr. Icchan stuffed a live octopus into his subordinate's pants...

Edited by Manhiem (09/17/12 07:25 PM)

#42376 - 09/17/12 07:23 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Manhiem]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Or, maybe all he ever saw of anime was one episode of Tantei Opera Milky Holmes.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/tantei-opera-milky-holmes/episode-7-tricks-of-the-sun-560826?p360=1
Start at about 17:00 or 17:20

Or the pool episode of My Otome
Or the OVA beach episode of Shin Koihime Musou
Or the series Squid Girl (wait, in that one, the 9 year old girl is the squid...)

Granted, most of these girls aren't 9, but some of them are pretty young.

Cute, I see your point grin

#42378 - 09/17/12 07:38 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: EricDent]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Ok. I'm not quite sure where anyone would get the idea that I was dissing either anime or it's fans. I do however know that I myself would often get treated like some backwards child for being a fan myself. However, I can't assume that it's like that everywhere. I simply meant that it is difficult to convince non-fans to buy a series when most of them think all there is to anime is Pokemon and porn. That and I really hate when companies cancel better series just because they don't sell as well as mainstream ones like Naruto.

#42379 - 09/17/12 07:49 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: sevi]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Also, I consider consumers in general to be fickle. It's the fault of the companies who
oversaturate the market and for some reason can't understand that if they for example sell 5 or more similar series in a month that not all will make a best seller list. The American market should look to what they're doing in Europe because they seem alot more attuned to the buyers needs. Look at how many series we've lost that they haven't.

#42380 - 09/17/12 07:50 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Ah. Actually, I meant to ask whether you were referring to specific articles and news items where anime or its fans were misrepresented, or whether you were referring to the seemingly general perception of what anime was all about.

As far as convincing non-fans to buy an anime movie or series, I have trouble getting a non-fan to watch an anime. Any anime. But I think that the problem there is that adults in this country are actually ashamed to watch anything animated. And that is largely because animation has been relegated to either children's entertainment, or vulgar comedies in this country.

If you want to get an adult to watch an anime in this country, you need to be very selective of what you offer to show them, making sure that it appeals to their interests. I got my mom to watch Bunny Drop with me, even though it was subtitled, because it was about a bachelor raising a little girl.

Once you've introduced someone to what anime actually is and what it has to offer, they'll be more likely to buy an anime series or movie.

Edited by Manhiem (09/17/12 08:04 PM)

#42381 - 09/17/12 07:54 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Manhiem]
sevi Offline
UPSF Commodore

Precisely my point. And I for one blame Disney and all their watered down, "every girl wants to be a princess" baloney. Sure, they've improved, but the general population still thinks animation and thus anime is for little kids and paedophiles who live in their parents' basement.

#42391 - 09/18/12 12:25 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

OK then I am sorry for being rude.

Yes there is such a stigma against anime (or cartoons in general).

Though working at a place like Fry's there are quite a few people who at least know about anime. Plus a few regular customers who buy quite a bit.

I attempted to get my parents into anime with Spirited Away. I think my mom liked it, but my dad left about 10 minutes into it & whispered "why dont you grow up". Never did it again.
BTW he also walked out on Love Actually as well.

As for the real reason for this topic, it's basically to point out that many anime companies went kaput. Due to various reasons, so lots of their stuff is out of print.

Yes anime fans are kinda fickle, however some other types of fans (such as Star Wars) are much much worse.

The US & Canada can't really do anything to influence what Japan does.
It's their fault for being inflexible with the way they sell stuff, thus only the hardcore buyers determine what shows get made. Unfortunately a lot of them like the fanservice & moe stuff. Thus that's what gets made.

Sure Europe gets a few things we don't (and apparently keeps stuff we lost).
However IIRC it's basically a monopoly on who distributes their stuff.
Even with the collapse of several companies, there is still a bit of variety as far as who distributes stuff.

#42392 - 09/18/12 08:14 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: sevi]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Ok. I'm not quite sure where anyone would get the idea that I was dissing either anime or it's fans. I do however know that I myself would often get treated like some backwards child for being a fan myself. However, I can't assume that it's like that everywhere. I simply meant that it is difficult to convince non-fans to buy a series when most of them think all there is to anime is Pokemon and porn. That and I really hate when companies cancel better series just because they don't sell as well as mainstream ones like Naruto.

I agree with what you are saying sevi, thatís how itís been for me.
Iím the only person I know that watches Anime, other than Speed Racer that I watch with my grandson.
And Teen Titans ( that has that Anime Vive to it ) <- *if you've seen it you know what I mean*
Iíve also turned him on to Thunderbirds ( BBC- puppet Series ) & Dinosaurs ( American- people in latex suits )

Oh, I canít help itÖ.. Just a quick comment ( my personal feelings ) on your reference of the Anime extremes.
Pokemon - Well, I hate it with a passion, when it came along I was too old to drink the Cool-Aid ( Thank God ) grin
Adult Anime - ( you couldnít pay me to watch any of the live action stuff ) But when it comes to Anime, It cracks me up to no end.
Iím still so fascinated that someone ( many, many, someoneís ) have to draw it frame by frame, and itís such a big business.
Whenever I think about it, I am always surprised by the size of my Adult Collection. ( and the loving Wife that indulges me )
wink

I

#42403 - 09/18/12 09:36 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

That has got to be the first instance of a loli assaulting a pseudopod in anime. When is this going to get a solid media release? kiku wants!

#42405 - 09/18/12 09:45 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Family Guy has made a few Funny ( but not flattering ) jokes about those who like Anime.
All I know is I thought it was funny ( no matter how stinging it may have been )

I think there has been a significant decline in octopi (and other assorted pseudopods) in anime as of late. What are they doing now? How are they making ends meet? I for one think that there's plenty of room for a resurgence of pseudopods in anime.

#42412 - 09/18/12 11:02 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: kiku]
Cheap One Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

That has got to be the first instance of a loli assaulting a pseudopod in anime. When is this going to get a solid media release? kiku wants!

It also happens in episode 5(I think maybe 6) of Sword Art Online. One of the few funny parts in a rather sad episode.

#42413 - 09/18/12 11:25 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: kiku]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I think there has been a significant decline in octopi (and other assorted pseudopods) in anime as of late. What are they doing now? How are they making ends meet? I for one think that there's plenty of room for a resurgence of pseudopods in anime.

grinI'm with you on this one laugh

#42429 - 09/18/12 06:51 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

What about Squid Girl?????

#42442 - 09/19/12 07:35 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I've been "on the fence" with Squid Girl since it came out. It looks really funny and uber cute, and the reviews make it sound even more so. It's especially hard not to go for it considering the newly condensed full season set. I think I woulda fell off the fence had it been a DVD/Blu-ray combo or the more affordable DVD.

#42515 - 09/20/12 08:22 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: kiku]
KILLRENJI Offline
UPSF Ensign

I watch a lot of South Park and with that being said it has been really challenging to find any anime that makes me laugh. Don't get me wrong there are times in certain titles where i like the inside jokes or gags. When i think of funny anime i see Excel Saga as the epitome. Sure there are running gags but there is substance and also some character developement. Most of it is relevant to the story or subplot. I dare you to find that in a Family Guy episode!!!

#42516 - 09/20/12 08:36 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: kiku]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I've been "on the fence" with Squid Girl since it came out. It looks really funny and uber cute, and the reviews make it sound even more so. It's especially hard not to go for it considering the newly condensed full season set. I think I woulda fell off the fence had it been a DVD/Blu-ray combo or the more affordable DVD.

Well-the bluray set is only $35 on sale now-I have no need for dvds-it really won't bust your budget and it's well worth the money spent.

#45332 - 11/27/12 12:40 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
Boog Offline
UPSF Ensign

Loc: San Jose CA United States
I collected only 3 Maison Ikkoku boxedsets and missed out on the other 5 boxedsets that are now out of print.

Record of Lodoss War and Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroric Knight boxedsets that I missed out on that are now out of print too. I need to get the other Ranma 1/2 series sets and movies. smile

Edited by Boog (11/27/12 12:46 AM)

The Game Master

#45340 - 11/27/12 08:00 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Boog]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: Boog
I collected only 3 Maison Ikkoku boxedsets and missed out on the other 5 boxedsets that are now out of print.

Record of Lodoss War and Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroric Knight boxedsets that I missed out on that are now out of print too. I need to get the other Ranma 1/2 series sets and movies. smile

I know what you mean .. frown ..

I just paid out the nose for Big O "Volume One" .. crazy ..

#45343 - 11/27/12 09:54 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: BWBODDY]
Boog Offline
UPSF Ensign

Loc: San Jose CA United States

I know what you mean .. frown ..

I just paid out the nose for Big O "Volume One" .. crazy ..

Hopefully RightStuf will get reprints of Record of Lodoss War, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroric Knight and Ranma 1/2 series and Ranma 1/2 movies boxedsets real soon. Also Macross series sets, Macross DYRL movie and OVA's too.

Last time I ordered these from RightStuf with my Got Anime discount card, I ordered from them many times since 1998 with their catalogs when spotting an order from in a video game magazine. cool

Azumanga Daioh DVD series boxedset collection
Bubblegum Crash OVA DVD
Dirty Pair OVA series DVD collection
Galaxy Express 999 DVD
Adieu Galaxy Express 999 DVD
Read or Die OVA + TV series Blu-ray boxedset collection
Ranma 1/2 Digital Dojo season 1 DVD boxedset collection
Slayers seasons 1-3 DVD boxedset collection
Trigun series DVD boxedset collection.
Trigun: Badlands Rumble DVD
Vision of Escaflowne DVD boxedset collection

The Big O is awesome!

Edited by Boog (11/27/12 10:03 AM)

The Game Master

#45344 - 11/27/12 10:29 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Boog]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Hopefully RightStuf will get reprints of Record of Lodoss War, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroric Knight

I wouldn't hold my breath on Lodoss War. Media Blaster acquired the title a couple of years ago, but were forced to sell it back because of the materials are in really poor shape (even worse than what CPM had).

#45348 - 11/27/12 11:51 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: Boog]
SD Maruko-kun Offline
UPSF Lieutenant

Also Macross series sets, Macross DYRL movie and OVA's too.

There's a big legal mess w.r.t. Macross and Robotech rights that prevents Macross DYRL, Macross Frontier etc. from being released in the west.
(wouldn't be surprised if it also prevents re-releases of the other Macross franchises once those licenses expire... frown )
My guess is that to now release a Macross title in the west, the company trying to license it will probably spend more on lawyers than they'd spend on licensing + dub + release costs combined of some other high profile title. frown
(and if Funimation/Rightstuf/whoever can spend "X" on some high profile title or "2X" on a Macross title, which do you think they will pick? frown )

Edited by SD Maruko-kun (11/27/12 11:52 AM)

#45352 - 11/27/12 01:38 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: SD Maruko-kun]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Yup, and if they did spend enough to acquire them; how much would they have to mark them up just to break even? Surely those costs would trickle down to us, the consumers. Granted; a nut like me might pay through the nose for previously unnavailable Macropss franchise materials, but would the average anime fan?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.