Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#31093 - 01/07/12 09:49 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
Yeah-I haven't used Netflix for a couple of years, it got to the point where I had exhausted all of the anime they had and wasn't interested in all the other genres they had for rent.

Advertisement
#31113 - 01/07/12 11:57 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
oldcharlie55 Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: New York
The one regret that I have in this regard is that I did not make more of an effort to see if I could put together the artbox and singles for Kanon. ADV did not get all of it out before Sojitz pulled the plug and FUNimation only made a few copies of the last volume. Instead I ended up with FUNimation's crappy-crap release, crammed on 4 DVDs with all extras stripped and in a paper sleeve. I should have waited for the S.A.V.E. edition which actually has better packaging and cost half as much.

I've paid through the nose a bit for a couple of items ($55 for a used copy of BAOH and about $65 for the Crusher Joe set). I also had the opposite happen once. I had wanted to buy a copy of the Bastard! OVA that someone was selling on Ebay for about $15 but forgot; for a long time the cheapest one I saw was $50. Then one day I spotted a copy being auctioned and won it for about $7.25.

I've been pretty fortunate as far as not missing too much that I wanted. For instance, with the Geneon titles that FUNimation was distributing I think the only ones I missed were the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha sets which I had no interest in. I got most of the others, but just by dumb luck because I had no idea they would suddenly disappear any more than anyone else did.

#31141 - 01/08/12 12:50 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

There were a lot of those titles that ADV lost because of the Sojitz fiasco that went to crapamation and they slaughtered their releases of them-ADV releases that come to mind that I have-Air, Pani Poni Dash, Karau-Phantom Memory, Magikano, Moonlight Mile, Innocent Venus-the ADV releases are infinitely superior to the re-releases.

#31156 - 01/08/12 10:59 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Meaning they stripped the extras or is the audio/video quality suspect?

#31167 - 01/08/12 11:23 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Mostly extras like the very interesting ADVidnotes on Pani Poni Dash where it explains the chalkboard notes & other references during that show (and there are a TON of them).

#31171 - 01/08/12 11:40 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

It seems a shame to strip a show of those extras. frown I would venture a guess that it would almost be less work for the studio rereleasing a title to retain those already present features than to remove them. I assume that there is some other, more nefarious reasons for their absence; such as the license purchased by the rereleasing studio doesn't include the extras because they were originally made by the studio selling the license. I've often gotten the vibe that there may be enmity between some studios. More realistically, the rereleasing studio simply didn't want to pay for the extras. It's possible that the actual content and extras are separate licenses. Why pay for the license for the special features when they can just rerelease the anime without purchasing said second license? It could also be more of a political problem. Maybe Funimation (for example) is forbidden by it's board of directors to include features/content produced by competitors such as ADV (for example). If this were the case then Funimation (for example) could purchase the rights to an anime formally licensed by ADV (for example), but not it's ADV (for example) special features.

Sorry 'bout the tangent. I enjoyed my flight of fancy. I hope it wasn't too tiresome for you. sweat

#31184 - 01/09/12 12:30 AM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Well since the ADVidnotes were exclusive to ADV, Funimation could not use them.

They greatly resemble the notes on the "Pop-Up Video" show on VH1/MTV.
Where they tell you interesting facts about whatever music video you are watching.

BTW if you have the series Negima!? (the one by the same people as Pani Poni Dash) you might have seen a frog that says "in a good way!" quite often.
That frog can also be seen in Pani Poni Dash if you are paying attention.
Also there is a song in both shows that sounds identical, sort of a "happy lalala" song.

#31219 - 01/09/12 10:13 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

The only problem that I had with the ADVidnotes was there was so much text going on at once I'd have to frequently hit pause to read everything.

#31221 - 01/09/12 10:16 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Now that you mention it; there is the possibility that the rereleasing company simply chose not to include said extras.

#31222 - 01/09/12 10:17 PM Re: DARN IT-I knew I should have gotten that series/ova before it disappeared......! [Re: zrdb]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's not a good idea to attempt the Japanese version & do the Vidnotes as well.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.