Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 11 of 19 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#28548 - 10/29/11 02:45 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: EricDent]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
O.K. I'll admit I've never been a Godzilla fan, but I just watched Godzilla King Of The Monsters for the first time. I believe that it's essentially the original, excepting of course that Raymond Burr's parts were added to the film 2 years after it's original release in 1954. The version I watched (in black and white... sweet) was released in American theaters in 1956 with some other minor changes.

I hadn't realized what an incredible allegory to the nuclear holocaust GKOTM really was, and on so many levels too. It was a very dark movie, so much so that you don't really acknowledge that Godzilla is simply a rubber suit. The imagery and scenery were quite impressive. The Oxygen Destroyer was an allegory in and of itself. The question of...
Click to reveal..
the devastating result of my actions unleashing the evil of my creation into the world could become real versus the fact that my creation could save the world from the very real Godzilla
...was a wonderful and sobering storytelling device. These same symbols of total devastation; which are ofttimes allusions to the very real H bomb, are ever present in anime as well. Have I been missing out on Godzilla all this time?

Oh yeah, that was the first time I've seen the fins on Godzilla's back glow before he fires the blast from his mouth. It was a pretty impressive image against the night sky and devastation of the scene.

Advertisement
#28552 - 10/29/11 03:56 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
You should try to watch the original Gojira, cause even though King of the Monsters does an OK job of conveying the message, the original does it much better.

If you are interested in Godzilla, let me know, I have all of them.
I can point out the ones that are good, the ones that are bad, and the ones that are cheesy.

#28559 - 10/30/11 10:49 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
I really liked GMK. It is the kind of kaiju movie I prefer. It had an interesting story with the live action part of the cast. I liked the female journalist character. Also the whole ancient guardian monsters thing added a creepy touch to the film.
I liked them having alumni appearances in SOS. I enjoy seeing familiar faces. Many of Japan's A list actors appeared in their giant monster films. Seeing Mechagozilla in either of his incarnations is always a treat.
Final Wars was a bit weak in the story department. I did enjoy the character of Captain Gordon. It is unusual to see a non-Japanese character in an important role. Still, you could see where it seemed like his character was a last minute write-in. He wasn't that pivotal a role in the story, but he was billed as a hero. I enjoyed his cheesy character just the same. The effects where superb. The quick TKO in Sydney, Australia was so fun to watch. It was obviously the American version of Godzilla he was fighting.

#28604 - 11/01/11 06:53 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
CheechMonger Online
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Florida
With the recent TRSI Funimation sale, I went ahead and picked up all of their Shaw Bros. titles under their Hong Kong Connection line:

Bastard Swordsman
The Duel
The 14 Amazons
Hong Kong Godfather
Invincible Shaolin
The Lady Hermit
Life Gamble
Opium & The Kung-Fu Master
Return Of Bastard Swordsman
Shaolin Hand Lock
Shaolin Prince
Shaolin Rescuers
Soul of the Sword
The Supreme Swordsman
The Sword of Swords

I'll make some time this weekend to take in one or two, and reminisce to those times years ago watching 'Fists of Fury Theater'.

#28844 - 11/16/11 12:06 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Just got Destroy All Monsters, the new release from Media Blasters.
They had it at my local FYE for $14.99, if you don't want to order this online check at your local store.

#29049 - 11/27/11 01:44 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I ordered Godzilla vs. Megalon along with some anime from Deep Discount, since that sale they are having is nuts.

#29857 - 12/13/11 07:51 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
oldcharlie55 Offline

Loc: New York
I ordered the "Vengeance Trilogy" (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeanced, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance) on Blu-Ray for $19.99 + $2.99 shipping from an Amazon vendor. I own the first film on DVD and enjoyed it so I decided to get this. I also ordered Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 from Amazon; this is the second of four films in a series, for some reason when Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters did a box set they left this one out.

And while it's not exactly Asian entertainment I did order Mystery Science Theater Vol. XXII which includes 2 of the Sandy Frank Japanese imports done in season 3: Time of the Apes and Mighty Jack.

#29866 - 12/13/11 11:12 PM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: oldcharlie55]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: oldcharlie55
I also ordered Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 from Amazon; this is the second of four films in a series, for some reason when Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters did a box set they left this one out.
I've got one called Female Prisoner Sigma.

#29872 - 12/14/11 12:02 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: kiku]
oldcharlie55 Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: kiku
Originally Posted By: oldcharlie55
I also ordered Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 from Amazon; this is the second of four films in a series, for some reason when Tokyo Shock/Media Blasters did a box set they left this one out.
I've got one called Female Prisoner Sigma.

I forgot, I just got that one from Right Stuf, it was on the Weekly Specials for $3.99. It's not part of the other series which featured Meiko Kaji (of "Lady Snowblood" fame), but I figured it was worth checking out at that price.

#29937 - 12/15/11 11:33 AM Re: What are your most recent *live-action (& non-anime/manga)* purchases? [Re: Gevin]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
I have all the Female Prisoner Scorpion films. A very interesting series. The outfit she wore with the long coat and large brimmed hat has become iconic of a female assasin look.
Have two Godzy films on the way.
Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus: The G Annihilation Strategy
Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla

Page 11 of 19 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.