Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 ... 102 103 >
Topic Options
#28333 - 10/21/11 12:19 AM On the fence.
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Are you interested in an anime title, but you're just not sure whether or not to go for it? Have you read some reviews, but would like to hear what some of the people at Anime Today have to say about it? Maybe the title isn't available for streaming video, so you can't preview it; or maybe it's a brand new title on DVD/BD and somebody here at the forum may have seen it through other means such as fansubs or other online resources and you'd like their opinion before you invest in the discs. If you're on the fence and would like to ask about an anime, ask here.

Advertisement
#28334 - 10/21/11 12:26 AM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I'm interested in Puella Magi Madoka Magica. My curiosity was sparked by a video depicting a girl with several rifles stuck in the ground. She was grabbing the rifles out of the ground, firing them, and then tossing 'em when done. The whole scene reminded me of a certain someone from Samurai 7 who collected a bunch of swords and stuck 'em in the ground to be at the ready before the big battle defending the village.

Has anybody seen Puella Magi Madoka Magica? Maybe it's target audience is too young. Maybe it's too magical girlie. Then again, maybe it's a great series that shouldn't be missed. Any PMMM fans got anything to say? kiku's on the fence.

#28338 - 10/21/11 07:54 AM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
I promise you that the target audience for PMMM is not too young. I don't know what happened in the clip that you saw, but PMMM is a dark deconstruction of the magical girl genre, not a typical frilly, happy kid's show.

#28339 - 10/21/11 08:47 AM Re: On the fence. [Re: Manhiem]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: Manhiem
I promise you that the target audience for PMMM is not too young. I don't know what happened in the clip that you saw, but PMMM is a dark deconstruction of the magical girl genre, not a typical frilly, happy kid's show.

Hmmm, I actually, thought I may have jumped the gun when I put the 3 volumes on pre-order.
I have since replaced those volumes with something else in the order I made.( that comes out sooner )

Because I was unsure about the Anime ( like kiku ) and there are Items I would like to have that come out before the last Volume of PMMM would be released.
I donít like to watch a Series till itís been completely released ( or at the very least a complete Season ) ie: UTENA, Vampire Knight Guilty, Queens Blade 2. I bought , or I am buying, these titles, but I didnít watch or will not watch them till the last volume is received.
( Iím looking at the yet to be completed or watched UTENA volumes as I type )

Thanks to your post Manheim, I am now re-assured that when I do get ( the complete set ) of PMMM Iíll not be suspired..
The sentence "a dark deconstruction of the magical girl genre" has reassured me and I now know what to expect Ö

Edited by BWBODDY (10/21/11 08:49 AM)

#28342 - 10/21/11 09:29 AM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
zrdb Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: In The US-SR.
Madoka is a good series, I like it but not enough to shell out the serious moolah they want for it.

#28345 - 10/21/11 11:45 AM Re: On the fence. [Re: zrdb]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: zrdb
Madoka is a good series, I like it but not enough to shell out the serious moolah they want for it.

Yes, I didnít mention it , but that too did play a part ( big one ) in my decision to remove it from pre-order and hold off on buying it.

Hopefully when Iím ready to buy it, it will be on Pre-order for the Complete Collection.

I fell for that little trick of theirs with Vampire Knight Guilty, Queens Blade 2, and one or two more Titles. ( well more like 5 or 6 times )

( Trick= Sometime shortly after the last Volume comes out they come out with the Complete Collection at the same price as one volume, more or less )

Edited by BWBODDY (10/21/11 11:52 AM)

#28347 - 10/21/11 12:23 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: BWBODDY]
Manhiem Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Idaho
Well, I can't say anything about Queen's Blade 2, but where "Vampire Knight" and "Guilty" are concerned, I'm not sure that waiting produced a happy result. When I saw that the collections were coming out on one double-sided disk and one regular disk, I looked for good sales and bought the single volumes. Maybe I'm biased, but I didn't want anything on a double-sided disk.

On a different note, Aniplex is such a new company that I don't think we can predict with certainty how they will price a boxed set, if they release one. If you look at Geneon's boxed sets of "Fushigi Yugi", they were Limited Editions that cost MUCH more than the individual volumes they contained. Considering Aniplex's behavior to date, I'd consider this to be a more likely possibility than a less expensive box set being released shortly after the last volume hits the streets.

It might be worthwhile to wait and see what happens. It depends on small the print runs are, and whether Aniplex intends to keep the individual volumes in print, or whether one run will be all there ever is.

Edited by Manhiem (10/21/11 12:34 PM)

#28349 - 10/21/11 01:45 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: Manhiem]
BWBODDY Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Well, I can't say anything about Queen's Blade 2, but where "Vampire Knight" and "Guilty" are concerned, I'm not sure that waiting produced a happy result. When I saw that the collections were coming out on one double-sided disk and one regular disk, I looked for good sales and bought the single volumes. Maybe I'm biased, but I didn't want anything on a double-sided disk.

On a different note, Aniplex is such a new company that I don't think we can predict with certainty how they will price a boxed set, if they release one. If you look at Geneon's boxed sets of "Fushigi Yugi", they were Limited Editions that cost MUCH more than the individual volumes they contained. Considering Aniplex's behavior to date, I'd consider this to be a more likely possibility than a less expensive box set being released shortly after the last volume hits the streets.

It might be worthwhile to wait and see what happens. It depends on small the print runs are, and whether Aniplex intends to keep the individual volumes in print, or whether one run will be all there ever is.

I did the same with Vampire Knight, I DID get that as a Complete Collection at first.
I did end up replacing the Complete Collection with the individual Volumes of Vampire Knight because of the double sided thing.
Now Knight & Guilty look like a matched set, in the six disc case I put them all in.

I thought that was the stupidest thing for them to do that.

Edited by BWBODDY (10/21/11 01:46 PM)

#28354 - 10/21/11 02:28 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: Manhiem]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Wow, you really know how to sell it. Get out of my head! I am however, a little confused by you're comment from the "What anime did you just buy" topic:

PMMM? It would be impossible for me to tell you what I think about it without providing a huge spoiler. I'll just say that once I found out what was happening in that series, I decided that I didn't need to see it. Ever.

#28355 - 10/21/11 02:29 PM Re: On the fence. [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Has anybody seen "Modern Magic Made Simple"?

Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 ... 102 103 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.