Start Shopping! Cart
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27739 - 09/30/11 12:56 PM Ratios
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Might anyone enlighten this ignorant fool as to how to tell what the screen aspect ration of an anime (or any DVD for that matter) is, if it is not labeled on the case. I like to view in "widescreen" format, but when something is originally in standard definition (4:3) it simply stretches the picture. When something is produced in 4:3 (generally if it's more than several years old) I like to view it in 4:3. My current "method" is a pain in the but. I wait for there to be a circular object in the video, such as a sun or wheel; if the object is ovular I know that it's presented in 4:3. I switch my television's aspect ratio from "widescreen" to 4:3 and the object becomes circular rather than ovular. If there was an easier method, I'd be much obliged if someone illustrate it for me.

Advertisement
#27741 - 09/30/11 02:57 PM Re: Ratios [Re: kiku]
touma Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: Colorado, USA
I think that the first thing that you should do is check the settings for your DVD player. You should be able to leave your TV on widescreen and have the DVD player adjust the aspect ratio.
The name of the output setting will vary. On my DVD player it is "16:9 Normal". On my Blu-ray player it is "16:9 Wide."
You should never need to change it once it is setup.

The only time that this has not worked for me was when I set my DVD player to upscale the video, which requires using the HDMI output. For some reason the DVD player will not adjust the aspect ratio for the HDMI signal. When I forgot about the upscaling and used the component outputs it worked perfectly. Fortunately my BD player does upscale properly.

If you do need to change it manually then what you are doing now is the only way that I have done it, and I did need to do it before I figured out what the problem was with the DVD player and HDMI.

#27749 - 10/01/11 12:05 AM Re: Ratios [Re: touma]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Thanks touma. I've actually already used the "automatic" feature on my television. I don't really care for it. It seems to work alright, but I'm a stickler for details sometimes. When I use the "automatic" ratio setting the television does adjust automatically, but it's far from perfect. Ofttimes it will shave off parts of the picture. Others it will stretch the picture. There are several ratio's to choose from: standard (4:3), 16:9, subtitle, widescreen, and automatic. I find that my judgement is better than "automatic's" judgement regarding the appropriate screen ratio AKA definition.

Here's another question: If you had to say what year would be indicative of the fall of standard definition, what would it be. You know what I mean? Sort of a marker year to know whether or not you have to bother changing the screen ratio back to 4:3.

#27757 - 10/01/11 09:32 AM Re: Ratios [Re: kiku]
touma Offline

Originally Posted By: kiku
Thanks touma. I've actually already used the "automatic" feature on my television.

That is not what I was saying. It seems to me that you are making this a lot harder than it should be.

All that you need to do is:
Set your DVD player to send a 16:9 signal.
Set you TV to receive a 16:9 signal.
That's it. That is a typical standard setup. Basically 16:9-->16:9.
If that does not work then either one of the settings is wrong or you have an equipment problem.
The only thing that makes it even a little bit tricky is that the equipment manufacturers do not use common terminology, so you might need to experiment a bit. For instance your TV has settings for both "16:9" and "widescreen." I have no idea what the difference is, or why there are two settings that seem the same to me.
If you have one DVD that you know is 4:3 and another that you know is 16:9 you can use those to check your settings.

You might want to change the setting on your TV if you play a letterboxed DVD. It works fine with the standard settings but you have all of that blank screen around the picture. My TV has a "cinema" setting that will zoom the image to fit the screen. But that is the only time that I have to change from the "widescreen" setting. Fortunately letterboxed DVDs are getting very rare.

Quote:
Here's another question: If you had to say what year would be indicative of the fall of standard definition, what would it be. You know what I mean? Sort of a marker year to know whether or not you have to bother changing the screen ratio back to 4:3.

I think that the change was too gradual to choose a year. And, as I said, you should not have to change it.

#27765 - 10/01/11 02:07 PM Re: Ratios [Re: touma]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Thanks for all the info. (again) I believe my problem is inherent to my DVD player, which is archaic to say the least; considering it's a DVD/VHS combo. Don't get me wrong, this thing's a champ. It was a gift. It owes me nothing and still runs like a top. If only everything was made like my DVD player. It's a Toshiba BTW and I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but I've already got like two DVD players in reserve. Always have your clips ready, right?

Anyhow... the only menus I can get to on the DVD(VHS) player are through the VCR setup menus, and none of them can affect the picture or aspect ratio. I've read the owner's manual cover to cover several times.

I feel that most people would find the problem I'm faced with to be more than an inconvenience, but it is of little consequence to me in light of the unit's almost godlike performance over the (many) years. I intend to honor this little bad boy's (girl's?) years of service by not giving up on it until it actually malfunctions, at which point; I'll have to figure out how to give it (her?) a proper send off. I do believe that it is illegal to bury electronic devices... isn't it?

#27770 - 10/01/11 03:02 PM Re: Ratios [Re: kiku]
touma Offline

Originally Posted By: kiku
Thanks for all the info. (again)

You're welcome. smile

Quote:
I believe my problem is inherent to my DVD player, which is archaic to say the least; considering it's a DVD/VHS combo.

You are probably right, and I do understand your situation now.
That DVD player was probably made before widescreen TVs and anamorphic DVDs were common. It most likely is not able to send anything except a 4:3 signal, so you do have to stretch it with the TV. And the automatic setting would not do the job because the signal is always 4:3.
Which goes back to your original question about how to know when to switch between 4:3 and 16:9. Unfortunately I do not know any way except to go by which looks better, which is what you are doing now.

So, in regards to my previous posts:
Nevermind. (This is when I need that sweat drop.)

#27783 - 10/02/11 12:58 AM Re: Ratios [Re: touma]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Irregardless of the whether or not my problem is solved, I feel compelled to reiterate that I am thankful for you taking time out of your day to help me. Thanks touma.

#27792 - 10/02/11 11:22 AM Re: Ratios [Re: touma]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: touma
The only thing that makes it even a little bit tricky is that the equipment manufacturers do not use common terminology, so you might need to experiment a bit. For instance your TV has settings for both "16:9" and "widescreen." I have no idea what the difference is, or why there are two settings that seem the same to me.

Yeah, the terminology varies from TV manufacturer to TV manufacturer. However, they usually all have the same number of aspect ratios (5).

Hey Kiku! Can you list the names of the aspect options your TV gives you?

Edited by joelgundam01 (10/02/11 12:10 PM)
Edit Reason: Being more specific

#27799 - 10/02/11 11:54 AM Re: Ratios [Re: joelgundam01]
touma Offline

Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
Yeah, the terminology varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. However, they all have the same number of aspect ratios (5).

Just to add some more confusion: :P
My TV and BD player have only 4 "aspect ratio" settings. My DVD player has 6.

EDIT: And still yet more confusion.
My TV includes "Zoom" as an aspect ratio setting. My BD and DVD players have zoom functions that are separate from the aspect ratio settings.

Edited by touma (10/02/11 12:05 PM)
Edit Reason: added information

#27800 - 10/02/11 12:18 PM Re: Ratios [Re: touma]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
Originally Posted By: touma
Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
Yeah, the terminology varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. However, they all have the same number of aspect ratios (5).

Just to add some more confusion: :P
My TV and BD player have only 4 "aspect ratio" settings. My DVD player has 6.

I was referring to TVs and not DVD/BD players.

I can see some TVs having four, since one of the aspects aren't really necessary.

My TVs (Hitachi and JVC) have five and they are both labeled the same.

- Natural (4:3)
- Cinema Wide 1 (horizontal stretch)
- Cinema Wide 2 (Zoom; for 4:3 letter box shows/movies)
- Cinema Wide 3 (half zoom; for letter box shows with subtitles below the actual picture)
- Full (16:9)

I find Cinema Wide 1 to be completely useless, since Full does the same function but better.

Edited by joelgundam01 (10/02/11 12:18 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2015 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.