Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#27006 - 09/20/11 01:45 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Originally Posted By: Stefanie
Originally Posted By: stargates
I cheated and started them all just long enough so that it would come up as having shown that i completed them all! grin

Same here. I enjoyed the various origins, though. Playing all of them gives you a better understanding of the way things work in Ferelden. Plus, most of them are entertaining.

True. I really got into the Dwarf Noble storyline with all the lies and deception one would expect to find from a Noble family.

The ones I actually played through are 1) Female Human Mage (raised in the Tower), 2) Male Human Warrior Noble, 3) Female Human Rogue Noble. The first two characters also went completely through "Awakening," and I also created a Female Human Warrior just for "Awakening."

I (tried to) make my Female Human Noble more along the lines of loosely 'by the book' with some diplomacy one would expect from Nobility. A warrior through and through. Not enough for the Massive Armor but a fairly well balanced character.

The Female Dalish Elf is more of a redneck country girl who isn't always afraid to speak her mind (and be pure eye candy too! grin ). Full stats on her archery skills. I have such a blast with this one.

I also did start the Female Human Mage(lvl 10 and raised in tower too), however i have that one stalled out for the moment until i move the storyline ahead with the others and see how the rest of the game plays out.

Even though my first character was a Mage, I gave her very high strength and built her as a Battle Mage, so that she could hack & slash with the best armor and swords, right from the start.

Is there really any other kind of mage?

The biggest gripe i have with the game is that once you clear a cave/cavern and then go back, there are no enemies to re-fight and help level you're character up some more. In other RPG's like Morrowind, Oblivion, FFX-2 you can always go back and refight to help level up.

I actually applaud Dragon Age for that, because it eliminates the need for grinding. You naturally level up as you need to, just by playing through the game. I much prefer that to the Final Fantasy VII approach, where you can't take two steps across the world map without getting into another repetitive battle, and you can't advance much unless you spend hours fighting like that. DAO and DA2 are well-balanced in that respect. You're always as powerful as you need to be.

Maybe it's just something that i've gotten used to. I'm the type that would like to have my character's leveled up enough so that once you start to fight higher leveled characters/bosses your stats are either on par or just above the enemy that you need to fight so that you don't have to repeat the battle several times because of low stats (and keeping your blood pressure down too).

...i'd like my characters to be leveled up a little more than they are now (currently 20 & 19) before continuing on, even tho i'm really itching to go ahead and start one anyway.

I wouldn't worry about that. Just go ahead and play what you want, when you want. You'll level up without even noticing.

I'm going to pick it up again later this week and see what happens. Even with alternate endings is it still a game that you find that has high replay value or just average?

Advertisement
#27059 - 09/21/11 12:18 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: stargates]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
True. I really got into the Dwarf Noble storyline with all the lies and deception one would expect to find from a Noble family.

Amen! That was a great origin, and even though I could see the ending coming, I was still a bit shocked at the level of treachery among the Dwarves. They really do believe in keeping their friends close and their enemies closer.

{regarding warriors} Not enough for the Massive Armor but a fairly well balanced character.

With my pure warrior builds in DAO, I usually prefer tank-style builds, with massive armor and insanely large two-handed swords, axes, and hammers. However, there's something to be said for a sword and shield setup. If you ever get Loghain (my favorite character in the whole game, and possibly the only "real man" in Ferelden) in your party, he's great at that style. Speaking of Loghain,

Click to reveal..
if you get a chance, play through the "Return To Ostagar" DLC with Loghain and Wynne in your party, if you want to hear some nasty arguments. lol

The Female Dalish Elf is more of a redneck country girl who isn't always afraid to speak her mind (and be pure eye candy too! grin ). Full stats on her archery skills. I have such a blast with this one.

Ha! She sounds like a fun character. I love some of the smart-ass dialogue choices. Those archers can become very powerful as they level up, especially with the "Awakening" skills.

...Battle Mage...
Is there really any other kind of mage?

In my world, no. But, in DA2, mages have to play as such. You don't have access to swords and warrior armor; you have to wear mage robes and use staves. In DA2, I had to be content with using pure spells, which means I often chose to control another party member. Granted, the mages in DA2 have MUCH cooler staves and outfits than in DAO, but I don't like being told how to play my characters.

For most of the game in DAO, my battle mage used the Spellweaver sword (it acts as a staff and sword) with a shield to great effect. Her specializations were Arcane Warrior + Blood Mage + Power Of Blood in the main quest, and after "Awakenings" and all other DLC, she added Battlemage + Spirit Healer. She was incredible in the middle of a crowded, chaotic battlefield, but one-on-one against very powerful opponents (High Dragons, the Archdemon, Gaxkang, and of course, the Harvester), she struggled a bit, and it took her a while to chop them down.

I'm going to pick it up again later this week and see what happens. Even with alternate endings is it still a game that you find that has high replay value or just average?

It has high replay value until you've experienced all of the origins, classes, romances, endings, and collected all of the trophies/achievements. After that, I was ready to move on to a completely different game. I'd say that I more than got my money's worth, and I paid extra for all of the collector's editions and hardcover guides for both games.

DAO main quest = 3 complete playthroughs, plus all origins, plus early DLC ("Warden's Keep" & "The Stone Prisoner")

"Awakenings" = 3 complete playthroughs, plus all later DLC

I played the DLC quests as they were released, so by the time I played "The Golems Of Amgarrak" and "Witch Hunt," my characters were already insanely powerful and well-equipped. However, my female mage still could not beat the Harvester on Hard/Nightmare difficulty, only on Casual. My male warrior took him down on Nightmare, though (that's the most difficult trophy in the game).

DA2 main quest = 4 playthroughs (female mage, female rogue, and two warriors of each sex), plus early DLC ("The Exiled Prince" and "The Black Emporium")

In DA2, I've taken my mage through the first post-release DLC ("Legacy" July 26, 2011), but I'll have to play it again to get the last two trophies. "Mark Of The Assassin" is scheduled for release on October 11, 2011.

#27322 - 09/23/11 09:49 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

It's funny that you should mention Awakening since i went ahead and played that one through to the end before [DAO[/b]! The only thing that i did (and am not proud of) was when i had to battle the Baroness i had to drop the difficulty from 'Normal' to 'Easy' just to get through that stage. cry

It has high replay value until you've experienced all of the origins, classes, romances, endings, and collected all of the trophies/achievements. After that, I was ready to move on to a completely different game. I'd say that I more than got my money's worth, and I paid extra for all of the collector's editions and hardcover guides for both games.

DAO main quest = 3 complete playthroughs, plus all origins, plus early DLC ("Warden's Keep" & "The Stone Prisoner")

"Awakenings" = 3 complete playthroughs, plus all later DLC

I played the DLC quests as they were released, so by the time I played "The Golems Of Amgarrak" and "Witch Hunt," my characters were already insanely powerful and well-equipped. However, my female mage still could not beat the Harvester on Hard/Nightmare difficulty, only on Casual. My male warrior took him down on Nightmare, though (that's the most difficult trophy in the game).

Since i have all of the DLC (for Origins)it suggests that i should do that first since i will unlock items and get some kind of 'bonus' when i play through the Origins mainquest. That's part of the reason that i kind of stalled for the moment, since i'm debating on doing that or just keep going w/ the game. I also have the Strategy Guide so i also know a few things to look forward to in Origins.

The DLC that i've done so far is Lelianna's Song, Stone Prisoner, Wardens Keep, and Return to Ostagar. Is there really anything worthwhile to look forward to as far as bonus material (have Lelianna's Battledress) or is it just misc things like the Feastday extras that you pick up along the way?

#27332 - 09/23/11 01:08 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: stargates]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

"Leliana's Song" and "Darkspawn Chronicles" have nothing to do with the game play in the other DLCs, "Awakening", or the main DAO quest. Except for the "Battledress Of The Provocateur" Rogue armor, you don't earn any cool stuff that Leliana can carry over, nor do you gain experience points for the main quest. As you know, you don't find it; it just appears in your primary character's inventory. It's pretty good light armor, but later in the game, you can find better.

Having played "Leliana's Song" before playing the main game doesn't ruin anything, but because it does explain a lot of Lelian's background, it could either enhance her appeal or detract from her mystery. It's a subjective call.

If you care about spoilers, I wouldn't play "Darkspawn Chronicles" before finishing the main game. It lets you see the game's final battle from the Darkspawns' perspective, and it reveals quite a lot.

I highly recommend playing "Warden's Keep" THE MOMENT it becomes available in the main game (I think it's right after leaving Lothering). You'll get some good loot, and you'll finally have a bottomless storage chest to store all of your gear. After that, I would play "Stone Prisoner" (to get Shale in your party) and then "Return To Ostagar." You'll get more loot, plus some closure on the Battle Of Ostagar story arc. In all three DLCs, you'll get equipment along the way that just about anyone can use. I would put the main quest on hold if you haven't done those.

The Feastday gifts are mostly just for amusement, but one benefit is that they will make it VERY easy (too easy) to get your party members' approval of you up to 100%. It's the fast track to both friendship and romance.

#27333 - 09/23/11 01:46 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: stargates]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

It's funny that you should mention Awakening since i went ahead and played that one through to the end before DAO!

Had you asked me before you did that, I would've suggested that you waited. 1) You can bring most of your DAO gear with you into Awakening, but you can't bring "Awakening" gear into DAO; and 2) The events in "Awakening" follow the events in DAO, so your actions and choices in the main quest directly affect what happens in "Awakenings."

For example, whoever winds up being King/Queen of Ferelden will visit you at Turnip Keep (as Wade refers to Vigil's Keep), and your actions in DAO determine who that person will be. It's not the end of the world, but you did it backwards, so you didn't get to see the fruits of your labor.

The only thing that i did (and am not proud of) was when i had to battle the Baroness i had to drop the difficulty from 'Normal' to 'Easy' just to get through that stage. cry

That might be because you had a low level character, condidering that you hadn't finished DAO at the time. The first time you face her, she can be a handful on any setting, but once you know what you're doing, and you recognize her patterns, she's not that difficult to kill, even on the Hard difficulty setting. Personally, I had more trouble with Gaxkang. He drops the Keening Blade longsword, and if you beat him on the Hard/Nightmare setting, he'll drop the Fade Wall, which is a great shield, and worth thr trouble.

#27460 - 09/25/11 08:08 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Stefanie]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I highly recommend playing "Warden's Keep" THE MOMENT it becomes available in the main game (I think it's right after leaving Lothering). You'll get some good loot, and you'll finally have a bottomless storage chest to store all of your gear. After that, I would play "Stone Prisoner" (to get Shale in your party) and then "Return To Ostagar." You'll get more loot, plus some closure on the Battle Of Ostagar story arc. In all three DLCs, you'll get equipment along the way that just about anyone can use. I would put the main quest on hold if you haven't done those.

I did and they were a blast. They are definitely worth the time and effort. Not only to level up but, as you said, you get some pretty cool weapons and armor along the way too. Shale is a trip and a fun one to have in your party. And the banter with the other characters is pretty funny.

The Feastday gifts are mostly just for amusement, but one benefit is that they will make it VERY easy (too easy) to get your party members' approval of you up to 100%. It's the fast track to both friendship and romance.

I know! It's fun to mess with people now and again. It's weird to be able to have characters in your party early in the game to have 100% approval. Not to mention lovers quarrels!

#27796 - 10/02/11 11:31 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

So Stefanie, in DAO who's you're 'special friend'? Is it Lelianna, Zervain, Alistar or...oh i know, your little buddy Oghren. laugh

#27854 - 10/04/11 10:20 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: stargates]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

First Playthrough
Hero = "Stefanie" (female human mage)
Squeeze = Leliana

Second Playthrough
Hero = "Stravinsky" (male human noble warrior)
Squeeze = Morrigan throughout the game, but later married Queen Anora because Morrigan has commitment issues

Third Playthrough

Hero = "Michelle" (female human noble rogue)
Squeeze = King Alistair

#27982 - 10/06/11 10:21 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
quillpennuthecar Offline
UPSF Ensign

Gothic 2 (PC)

#28759 - 11/11/11 12:26 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
Barely an hour and a 1/2 (20min spent in Character creation) and I can pretty much assume that Skyrim is going to be making the ranks. God damn phenomenal game that loses all of the short comings of Oblivion, keeps and reaches all of the aspirations, and raises the pros of Fallout + goes beyond further.
I'm too impressed for words & couldn't be more anxious to get the hell out of work and back into my game.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.