Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#28795 - 11/13/11 10:33 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: Houston, Tx
Not sure how many hours I am into the game yet, but i'm level 6, got about 3 or 4 thousand gold plus some rather expensive jewels/treasure, I have yet to fight a dragon, have cleared out two dungeons, haven't chosen any perks yet (by choice! You can hold off choosing perks until you are good and ready to commit), and I've been generally having an amazing time as a dual caster/sword fighter in my heavy armour.

Advertisement
#28835 - 11/15/11 02:37 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
I'm with you on the character creation. I spent about 45 minutes in character creation my first time in Dark Souls. It allows for a lot more customization than the average game, but I still wish games allowed for more detail, especially with hairstyles, beards, and makeup.

I doubt that I'll get any of the Elder Scrolls games because of Bethesda. Maybe after Skyrim has been out for a year and there haven't been any reports of freezing or game-breaking glitches, I might reconsider.

#28837 - 11/15/11 03:10 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

Check some of the reviews; very few (if any) game breaking glitches/freezes have really been reported. I've been personally having a very smooth time! I had one moment at the start where it paused longer than I would like while performing an autosave,.. But everything else has been smooth!

#28841 - 11/16/11 07:22 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

http://m.kotaku.com/5859983/do-not-let-skyrim-overflow-your-ps3/gallery/
Apparently I spoke too soon!
It looks like it builds up on you slowly :[
Bethesda has already announced that updates are soon on their way, but have not specified what issues they will be addressing. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

#28842 - 11/16/11 10:43 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Sounds like the same pattern as Fallout 3 & NV... as the save file grows, the bugs really kick in.

#28845 - 11/16/11 01:53 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

I'll let you know what news comes of this.
I'd suggest waiting until everything settles before making any investments.

#29071 - 11/28/11 07:52 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

The game has been patched!!!
There are possibly still a few small faults, but I haven't seen anything since updating. Looks and works smoothly/ great!

#29085 - 11/29/11 10:49 AM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

That's good to hear. I know that you and others who've already bought the game must be relieved. Too bad Fallout didn't get fixed.

While Bethesda's problems are usually bugs that impede game play (slowing down, freezing, getting your PC stuck in the environment), From Software's "Soul" games are usually plagued by exploitable glitches that break their games in just the opposite way, by allowing players to do too much (creating infinite lives and currency, duplicating items, etc.). Dark Souls recently got a patch (Patch 1.05) that eliminates most of those glitches and fine tunes some other game play aspects, but some players already had easy access to trophies/achievements and unfair advantages against other players online.

Then, there's Bioware. Games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect seem to be relatively free of bugs and glitches, until you try to install DLC that won't correctly match up with the rest of the game. When the problems finally get patched, you have to create new save files to get the fix, because current games in progress aren't corrected.

It's a shame that these companies use paying consumers to test their games after they it the shelves. Sadly, that practice has become the norm. But, I suppose a patch is better than no patch.

#29446 - 12/06/11 12:02 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: Gevin]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

I finally got the Platinum trophy for Dark Souls (whoever said "pimpin' ain't easy" was right), so I'll be looking to either go back and finish some remaining trophies on old games or buy some new ones (Batman, Skyrim).

Originally Posted By: Gevin
Skyrim... phenomenal game... too impressed for words...

1) Is Skyrim strictly single player?

2) What does the game play feel like (Fallout, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Demon's Souls, etc.)? So far, I've heard it being compared to Fallout (3 & NV) more than anything else.

3) Now that you've had the patch (2.01) for a while, did it fix what it was supposed to fix?

EDIT: Here's a Eurogamer Article regarding the technical issues with Skyrim on the PS3.

Edited by Stefanie (12/06/11 01:08 PM)
Edit Reason: added article link

#29467 - 12/06/11 09:52 PM Re: What's your favorite RPG game? [Re: dinkygreg]
Gevin Offline
UPSF Captain

It's from the same people as Fallout 3, so yeah, it has a LOT in common.
Just swap bullets for mana or arrows, guns for bows or spells, and melee weapons for.. Melee weapons (swords, axes, maces). But most of the game is pretty much the same. The world is huge, you can explore "everywhere" there arent really any locations that are "just for show". If you see a house, you can almost assuredly picklock your way in, you can climb basically all of the mountains (though you might have to run around the mountain to find paths that are less steep), pretty much anyone anywhere can be killed (and yeah, you can probably mess up your quests pretty badly if you start killing the wrong people), you can get followers (which can be a dog), you can ride a horse, you can become the guild leader to a group of thieves, assassins, general warriors, you can become the archmage of a Mage college, you can wage wars, you can clear out upwards of nearly a hundred (probably more) dungeons, ...I'd say that all of your skills learned from playing Fallout and New Vegas can easily be applied to Skyrim.
Oh, and you can blacksmith, enchant, and create potions.
If you want to see something really cool, check out some YouTube videos on what sneak attacks look like.
Me, I'm playing a destruction magic Mage (which isn't really the strongest build of character, but it is a lot of fun!)

The lag got a lot better with the last update, but (having gotten even further) its not perfect.
Bethesda has announced intention to continue updating the game with patches to iron out the rough edges.
I'd say the time to invest is now. I would certainly reccomend Skyrim over Batman (Arkham Asylum might be a good cheap investment for you)

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.