Start Shopping! Cart
Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#25516 - 08/24/11 04:47 PM Re: Are you listening? [Re: Tsunami3k]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: Tsunami3k
I've listened to Fear Factory for a long time but I must admit that I fell off the boat after being disappointed with Archetype and Transgression. Their older stuff was much, much better. While both albums were ok, they both struck me as being very generic sounding. It definitely had the Fear Factory flavor but nothing really stood out about them. Has any of their new stuff improved?
Really? Transgression's got a cover of Killing Joke's "Millenium" on it. Killing Joke has been the impetus for many a metal band's inspiration.

BTW If you like Fear Factory, you might be interested Burton C. Bell's side project: Ascension O The Watchers"; although it is much more sedate than Fear Factory. It's a collaboration of Burton C. Bell(Fear Factory's frontman) and Paul Raven(of Killing Joke AND Prong fame). They've got Al Jourgenson(of Ministry and The Revolting Cocks fame)doing all the technicals under the moniker Mixmaster General... legendary. They do a haunting cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound Of Silence"... double legendary!

I guess the story goes:

They wanted to do a more "musical" album. This is understandable, considering that Burton C. Bell quite literally invented "singing" in metal. They knew that fans of their current and past incarnations (Fear Factory, Prong, Ministry, etc...) might not understand (or tolerate) such a creation, so they decided to courageously do it under a new band name: Ascension Of The Watchers. This was a very ballsy (wow spellcheck allows ballsy) move on their part, considering the sales would be MUCH greater under a well known band name. To further obfuscate their creation, they all got together and got a cabin up in the northwoods somewhere to do all their recording. How weird is that? You can really tell that AOTW was a labor of love, not a fan product.

It is a haunting and dark album. I'm not kidding. This album actually exists. I've got the CD. It's got really great artwork, sort of a cool deep yellow, gold, and bronze motif.

Here's a link to the video for the song "On The River" from their album "Numinosum":

http://youtu.be/ZeEr8Y8ho80

Advertisement
#25567 - 08/24/11 07:22 PM Re: Are you listening? [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I just got my hands on the new Otep album Atavist. Ahh... the sweet subtle sounds of Otep Shamaya's feminine voice sooth the spirit like a CHAINSAW ON MY SOUL!

#25622 - 08/25/11 06:38 PM Re: Are you listening? [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I'm listening to "Blade Runner Blues". It just kills me every time... just kills me. frown

#25725 - 08/27/11 12:00 PM Re: Are you listening? [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I'm jamm' Bye Bye Johnny! Gotta love the Great 28. Yay Chuck Berry!

#25746 - 08/28/11 12:23 AM Re: Are you listening? [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I'm listening to "We Have Explosive" by "The Future Sound Of London".

#25891 - 08/30/11 04:31 PM Re: Are you listening? [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I'm jammin' "Kissing Families" by the Silversun Pickups!

#25947 - 09/01/11 03:14 PM Re: Are you listening? [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Tom Waits is helping me post with "Dirt In The Ground" from the "Bone Machine".

#25969 - 09/02/11 02:59 PM Re: Are you listening? [Re: kiku]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Listening to Testament's Low. I saw them on the Low tour. I actually met Chuck Billy before the show. Dude... is... HUGE! Testament has a song called Urotsukidoji on the Low album.

#25974 - 09/02/11 04:20 PM Re: Are you listening? [Re: kiku]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Nice. smile I remember when those first two Testament albums came out, and they had a very unique sound (great stuff to play during the Halloween season). Once that lineup started to break apart (just after Souls Of Black, I think), the band dropped off my radar, but back in the early days, Testament was a major force, along with S.O.D., Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax. I think the only time I saw them was when they opened for Metallica, but I can't rememeber... maybe that was Sepultura. Anyway, I used to go see metal bands all the time... Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Death Angel, etc.

#25979 - 09/02/11 06:44 PM Re: Are you listening? [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Speaking of Sepultura, have you listened to the Cavalera Conspiracy? I've got the CD Infikted. The brothers Cavalera are back! I recommend the song Black Ark. Give it a listen.

Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.