Start Shopping! Cart
Page 49 of 137 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 136 137 >
Topic Options
#45687 - 12/05/12 01:29 AM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Bad Ass: from Netflix DVD service. Featuring the always awesome Danny Trejo. Basically a Vietnam vet takes on a bunch of gangsters in East LA.
This is cause they killed his friend over a flash drive with sinister plans from the government. Was pretty "Bad Ass" if I do say so. Though it was also kinda corny as well. If you enjoyed stuff like Machette you should get a kick out of it.
Though most likely it's gonna just be a rental, cause I don't think it would hold up to multiple views. BTW it also features Ron Pearlman without any make-up. Of course he's the "real" bad guy behind the mess.

Advertisement
#45800 - 12/06/12 07:11 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

John Carter (of Mars): Pretty decent movie, though I can see why people compared it to Star Wars.
Though obviously Star Wars probably borrowed some stuff from Edgar Rice Burroughs.
My personal favorite part was that dog-like creature.

It was a good movie, though I doubt I would buy it.

#45814 - 12/06/12 10:12 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
BWBODDY Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Louisville,Ky.
Originally Posted By: EricDent
John Carter (of Mars): Pretty decent movie, though I can see why people compared it to Star Wars.
Though obviously Star Wars probably borrowed some stuff from Edgar Rice Burroughs.
My personal favorite part was that dog-like creature.

It was a good movie, though I doubt I would buy it.

I thought it was a good movie ( I even have the DVD )
There are more John Carter / Princess "of Mars" Books that could of been made into movies.
Iím still baffled as to why it didnít do well.

But all signs point to bad marketing

#45818 - 12/06/12 10:40 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
Cheap One Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

I tried watching it a few weeks ago when it was on Starz and had to stop about 30 minutes into it. Just found it too boring.

#45918 - 12/09/12 01:57 AM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
"Yo way yo
Home va ray
Yo way ra
Jerhume Brunnen G"

I've completed the journey that is Lexx. What a finale! This show kept me guessing. Lexx never conceded to an archetype. It was a unique experience; against which, I would have a hard time making a comparison to anything else. I guess, it was like; watching a movie for the first time... and you've never seen any previews of it. I didn't know what Lexx was until it was done, and even then; I'm still unsure. Let me put it this way... I haven't watched any anime in three weeks because I've been watching Lexx.

#45956 - 12/09/12 10:44 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

The City of Ember: kinda a post-apocalyptic movie. Though it's more about trying to find a way out of a crumbling city run by people who are so set in their ways. Decent story & characters, and Bill Murray makes a pretty decent political "bad guy" in the mayor. Gonna be just a rental, cause it's OK at best.

Godzilla Vs Biollante: the first time ever watching in Japanese with subtitles.
Not too much different than the English dub version, besides the fact that most the people they got to attempt to speak English were kinda Engrishy.
Biollante herself is still pretty cool looking, and almost beats Godzilla.
As the '90s went on the Godzilla series got really good, with the culmination being Godzilla Vs Destoroyah.
The DVD had a relatively long "making of" feature, which showed the various ways they filmed the movie. I learned that they actually shoot the guy in the suit with rockets (like bottle rockets). I always thought the suit just had small explosives on it. It also showed him getting in the suit, which looked like a rather dificult process. Though I still would love to stomp around on one of those sets they make for these movies!
If you are a fan of Godzilla, make sure to grab this DVD (or Blu-Ray) ASAP.

#45957 - 12/09/12 10:48 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
kiku Online
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
I saw City Of Ember in the theatre and loved it. Bill Murray was great.

#46038 - 12/11/12 10:00 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
Cheap One Online
UPSF Rear Admiral

Been watching "Mankind: The History Of All Of Us" on the History Channel.

Today was the first one that covered the United States and it covered the Revolution and Civil War. So far it has as you might expect mainly focuses on Western History with a bigger focus on Athens/Greece and Rome then other major city states, but they have shown China every so often. Would have liked to see a little shake at Japan as well mainly during the Feudal Period. Anyone else watching it?

#46141 - 12/13/12 06:05 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
oldcharlie55 Offline
UPSF Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loc: New York
I finally got around to watching a movie I've been meaning to watch for some time, a Japanese movie called Bullet Train. Made almost 20 years before Speed came out, it involves a group of extortionists planting a bomb on board the titular train which will go off if the train drops below a certain speed. I watched the uncut version in Japanese with subtitles (I also have the "international" version which is shorter and has an English dub) and found it to be a very good movie, although not quite what I had expected.

First of all, my copy is part of a set of 6 Sonny Chiba movies and a lot of what I've read about it plugs his being in it as if he's the star, but in truth he's not in it that much. Don't misunderstand, he gives a fine performance as the train captain, but after the first portion of the film he doesn't have much to do. The stuff I've read about it lead me to envision him kicking ass and taking names on the train, but he mostly stays in the cockpit until the very end.

In fact, the real star of this film is Ken Takakura who plays the leader of the extortionists. This is the first film I've seen him in, and he does a fine job here. There are also a number of well-known actors in small roles in this film. If you blink, you'll miss Etsuko Shihomi (star of Sister Street Fighter) as a telephone operator who has, I think, one line of dialog. Takeshi Shimura, star of many Akira Kurosawa films and well-remembered as Dr. Yamane in Godzilla is sort of wasted here, having just two scenes as the head of the railway who mostly just apologizes to the Prime Minister, and Tetsuro Tamba (who James Bond fans will remember from You Only Live Twice) makes a few brief appearances as the police official in charge. A lot of time is spent on flashbacks providing backstory for the extortionists (who are portrayed in an almost sympathetic light here); apparently these were the main scenes left out of the cut version. There's also a lot of time spent on the subplot of a woman going into labor aboard the train.

All in all, this is a very good film that I would recommend to anyone who likes action with a good storyline. It is rather long (about 2-1/2 hours) but definitely worth watching.

#46152 - 12/13/12 09:40 PM Re: What did you just watch (non anime)? [Re: EricDent]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Dark Shadows (via Redbox): Never watched the soap opera (or at least I can't remember doing so). It was a pretty fun movie with fun characters & story.
The actress who played "Victoria" was rather nice looking, and of course so was the main bad girl.
Johnny Depp was pretty good as a vampire & I could see this becoming maybe a series of movies like Pirates.
He obviously liked the character, cause he always wanted to play him.

I say go & rent it, especially if you enjoy Johnny Depp.
Tim Burton directed it, but it seemed to lack his trademark "weird" style.

Page 49 of 137 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 136 137 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.