Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#25046 - 08/17/11 03:11 PM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: BWBODDY]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Loc: Temporally Displaced
Originally Posted By: BWBODDY
Did I miss a memo ?
Yeah, and what's up with your TPS reports?

Advertisement
#25816 - 08/29/11 04:59 PM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: Stefanie]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
The quote below is from another thread (discussing High School Of The Dead and other horrible anime series), so I moved my response here before another thread got hijacked. Besides, we don't need old man Tsunami chasin' us off his lawn again. lol

In an imaginary "zombie outbreak" scenario, a couple of assumptions must be made. First, we're actually talking about zombies as portrayed in popular fiction, as opposed to normal human looters, rioters, invaders, or whatever. I'm also assuming that I wouldn't have anyone from Delta Force or the SEALs with me to tell me how to do things the right way, and I'm just thinking about surviving long enough to get away from the initial zombie attack, not planning for long term survival on my own. In other words, we're covering the first twenty minutes or so of a movie, or the first couple of episodes of an anime series. I know a little about weapons, but nothing about combat or survival, so I'd need plenty of luck.

Originally Posted By: EricDent
If a Zombie outbreak happened, I would not count on a gun, cause they have a bad habit of running out of ammo/jamming when you least expect it.

Of course since I have seen a few Zombie movies I would probably last a while.

lol Sadly, those are my resources, too. As long as the ammo held out, I'd still be using a shotgun or rifle. But, it would be wise to have a durable edged weapon, just in case, like a machete, baselard, gladius, falcata, or Celtic sword. A cheap, crude, but sturdy beater would be perfect, because you wouldn't want anything that requires too much skill, finesse, or strength (unless you're already a master). I tend to imagine a zombie situation playing out similar to most anime and film adaptations, in which you're trying to get out of Dodge ASAP, killing only a few zombies while you run, rather than trying to hold a fixed position and killing wave after wave of the undead.

In the former scenario (on the run), I'd want a slide action 12 gauge shotgun (they're much lighter than rifles) with a sling, a pistol in .45 ACP, and a short sword. In my case, that would be a Winchester 1300 or Remington 870 (7+1 rounds, 18" barrel), a Glock 21 (13+1 rounds), and my baselard (18" double edged blade). That's about all I could carry and still be able to run in short spurts or walk a good distance, and even those would feel heavy after a while. If the S.H.T.F. right now, I could round up all three of those weapons, and a small range bag full of ammo and some gun oil, in about two minutes, give or take (depending on how panicky I am lol).

I love my Para P14.45 (14+1 rounds), but the Glock would be simpler to maintain on the run. The same goes for the "glamorous" Benelli M2 shotgun versus the "old reliable" slide actions.
{NOTE: The Kel-Tec KSG shotgun isn't yet on the market, but that would be an interesting option, assuming that the quality is there. It's based on the Neostead shotgun, which has a good reputation, but can't be imported into the U.S.A.} As for the blade, the little Kris Cutlery baselard is the most basic, straight-forward sword I have, aside from my OKC military machete, which I find a bit uncomfortable, not to mention less versatile, than the baselard.

Another option would be to save weight and cut down on things to carry by ditching the shotgun and pistol for a pistol caliber carbine. The only one I have is the Beretta CX4 Storm, and the magazines hold only eight rounds of .45 ACP. If I'm limited to eight rounds between reloads, I'd rather be firing 12 gauge rounds. Now, if a company such as Beta made a C-Mag (even just a fifty round version) for the Cx4, that might sweeten the carbine pot, but even then, I'd still prefer the shotgun + pistol combination.

In the latter scenario (holding ground on a rooftop or a makeshift bunker), I'd rather have a battle rifle (in 7.62x51mm) than an assault rifle (in 7.62x39mm), but either would do, assuming that there's plenty of ammo (otherwise, why try to maintain a fixed position?). I'd feel comfortable with just about any of my rifles, but if I had to choose one, I'd use my Armalite AR-10, because 1) I have several 25-round magazines for it, and 2) as battle rifles go, it's relatively light and easy for me to handle.
{NOTE: If I ever get a SCAR-H, I might switch to that as the "go-to" rifle, but that remains to be seen.} As for bolt action rifles, I probably wouldn't be fast enough with one if the targets were at very close range, and if they're far enough away to use a scoped hunting/sniper rifle, why even make noise and draw attention?

It's fun stuff to daydream about, but not much of a practical exercise. smile

#25822 - 08/30/11 12:08 AM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

I'm thinkin' a chainsaw, a couple extra blades, and as much gas as I can carry.

BTW maybe we could negotiate with the zombies.

#25838 - 08/30/11 10:31 AM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
Chainsaws are messy. I wouldn't want to get zombie goo on me.sick
A heavy hitter at mid-range like a shotgun would be ideal. I have a few blades at home and since I work at a place where we sell knives and swords I know where to get good replacements. I have a few friends that have small arsenals so I know they would be able to take care of themselves. grin

#25840 - 08/30/11 11:36 AM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: Hobby Ninja]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Can I make a suggestion that doesn't involve violence, or is this the wrong crowd?

#25906 - 08/31/11 02:50 AM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: kiku]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: kiku

"Think smart. Think S-Mart!"

#25907 - 08/31/11 03:44 AM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Originally Posted By: Stefanie
Originally Posted By: kiku

"Think smart. Think S-Mart!"
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/erincampbell1/boomstick-smartjpg_595.jpg

#26507 - 09/11/11 03:52 PM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
The world's cutest zombie movie. smile

http://maimilog.wordpress.com/zomvideo/

#26529 - 09/12/11 10:19 AM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

How sweet. smile

#26559 - 09/12/11 11:30 PM Re: CDC - Zombie Preparedness [Re: Stefanie]
kiku Offline
UPSF Vice Admiral

Has anybody seen AMC's The Walking Dead? I've been told it's fantastic. The season 1 DVD is now available.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.