Start Shopping! Cart
?
Page 8 of 19 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#21857 - 04/10/11 04:20 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
The Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock sale gave me a chance to pick up some things I've been wanting awhile.
Baian the Assassin
Delinquent Girl Boss Double Feature
Dogora
Eko Eko Azarak Complete Collection
Female Prisoner 701/Scorpion Triple Feature
Frankenstein Conquers the World

Advertisement
#21868 - 04/11/11 01:46 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Hobby Ninja
Frankenstein Conquers the World

Oh yeah!

#21923 - 04/17/11 12:22 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Just got through Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad and it was...different. It was a little slow in the beginning but as it went on it seemed to smooth out a little bit better i thought. Who would've thunk it. A bikini wearing samurai who teams up with a female gunslinger in a black leather leather outfit and has a double barrel shotgun that doesn't run out of ammo. SWEET! laugh

#21934 - 04/18/11 02:03 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: stargates]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: stargates
Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad

It's the "squad" part that gets me. lol

Originally Posted By: stargates
A bikini wearing samurai...

So, where are the throwing stars carried?

#21960 - 04/19/11 05:51 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Legends of the Poisonous Seductress
1- Female Demon Ohyaku
2- Quick draw Okatsu
3- Okatsu the Fugitive

This is an interesting series of three films from the late 1960's, during the beginning of the "Pinky Violence" period of Japanese films. Similar themed films in the U.S, would be called "sexploitation" movies. Film studios during the 1960's and 70's had to compete with TV. This was true both in the U.S. and in Japan. Studios began making pictures with erotic/grotesque elements (ero-guro). Adults themes and bloody violence was the order of the day. TV standards kept it out of the home, but for the price of a ticket you could see subject matter never made available before. These films were also known as "bad girls" movies with the story taking place during the Meiji era or as a yakuza tale in modern times. The plight of the heroine was nearly always the same. A woman wrongly accused, cursed from birth or ravaged and witnessing the murder of her kin. A common thing said by the woman is "I will have my vengeance even if I need to become a demon". Even though this trilogy of films are known as the Legends of the Poisonous Seductress, the only things they have in common are the female lead actress and the above description of what happens to her character. She plays persons with the same name in the second and third films, but they are not the same character. They are all stand alone stories. Seemingly old-fashioned by today's standards, these films were cutting edge in their time. There were many movies made for this genre depicting female gamblers, girl gang bosses, noble women turned assassin and the like.

These films (as well as the Lady Snowblood movies) have good cinematography with lavish sets and costumes, unlike more modern films of ninjas and assassins that seem to be almost all shot in the woods. Expect lots of blood, sword fights, top knots, government official corruption, PG rated rape scenes, torture scenes and a least one knock down drag out in a brothel per film. I recommend these movies for anyone who is interested in Japan or Japanese cinema depiction of the feudal era.

Edited by Hobby Ninja (04/19/11 07:37 PM)

#21962 - 04/20/11 09:23 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: Hobby Ninja
Similar themed films in the U.S, would be called "sexploitation" movies. Film studios during the 1960's and 70's had to compete with TV. This was true both in the U.S. and in Japan. Studios began making pictures with erotic/grotesque elements (ero-guro). Adults themes and bloody violence was the order of the day.

Case in point: Russ Meyer (IMDB). Two of his reported quotes:

"Nothing is obscene, providing it is done in bad taste."

"There can just be a thin edge separating evil and humor."

#22046 - 05/01/11 10:09 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Stefanie]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
I got Gamera vs. Zigra & Gamera Super Turtle Double feature from Shout Factory.

Pretty fun stuff, especially Super Turtle.

Just curious about something in a Godzilla movie, the movie is Godzilla vs. Megagurius.

In that movie Godzilla fights Megagurius really close to a tower that looks similar to the Space Needle in Seattle. Just curious if this tower is real, or made up for the movie. I tried to look it up, but all I got was Tokyo Tower & The Sky Tree (which does not look like that tower).

#22049 - 05/01/11 04:24 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Scorpion: Prisoner 701 film series
1. Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion
2. Female Convict #701 Scorpion: Jailhouse 41
3. Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion: Beast Stable
4. Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion:Grudge Song

This is another series in the "bad girl" genre of Japanese cinema from the the early 70's. Nami is a woman done wrong by a series of men. She is dragged thought hell but always emerges to get her revenge. She starts out in a woman's prison after she botches an attempt to kill a crooked police detective who sets her up with some yakuza. She soon earns the moniker- Scorpion. Presumably because it sounds scary. She then spends most of her time being hated by everyone who comes into contact with her. She does make friends from time to time along the way, but to even know the Scorpion is almost certainly a death sentence. In each film she is either out as an escapee or escapes from prison. Whether she is in or out of prison doesn't matter, she still gets her revenge. Men in this series of movies are depicted as either sadistic creeps or callus losers. Nami's screen time is mostly without dialog. Who needs to speak when she can give a "go to hell" look that has you packing your bags before you realize what is happening. One thing is for sure, if you ever give her a reason to trust you, don't ever betray her. Even if her enemies are beating you senseless, she will finish the job later.
Films contain lots of adult subject matter. Nudity, blood, violence and rape. The things you couldn't get on your home TV at the time. The stories are very gritty and dreadful, still you will pull for the Scorpion to fulfill her dark desires every time. The films will at times seem to go into a theatric mode with lighting and even makeup. It is as if someone had filmed a stage production. These are very interesting and thrilling pictures. Recommended for those interested in the dark side of Japanese cinema.
Next I have started the Series of made for TV movies- Baian: The Assassin.

#22108 - 05/06/11 10:36 PM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: Hobby Ninja]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
So I guess nobody knows about that tower?
Basically it looks like the Space Needle, but it also had a more flying saucer
shaped top.

#22114 - 05/07/11 11:52 AM Re: What are your most recent purchases? [Re: EricDent]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

I've been thinking about it and I can't remember. It's been a while since I've seen it. I do know that the modelers for the Godzy films went to great lengths to achieve insane amount of detail on the miniature sets. They took great pride in duplicating actual real life locations for the movies. This was to add realism for the Japanese audience when they recognized places being destroyed. I'm pretty sure if you saw a distinct kind of building, it had a real live counterpart. I googled Japanese towers and got nothing. frown

Page 8 of 19 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.