Start Shopping! Cart
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#21756 - 03/30/11 11:43 AM Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Is that tacky yellow stripe actually part of the insert cover art in the disc cases, or is that just a sticker on the shrinkwrap?

Advertisement
#21757 - 03/30/11 11:56 AM Re: Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions [Re: Stefanie]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Western NY
It's puke green and yes, it's part of the actual cover. The good news is that these SAVE editions have reverseable covers and almost all of them contain a spin (with title) on the reverse side.

For example, I have the Ghost Hunt SAVE Edition and the reverse side has the same cover art without the SAVE banner.

In other words, you just need to flip the cover around. No more yucky SAVE banner.

Edited by joelgundam01 (03/30/11 11:57 AM)

#21758 - 03/30/11 06:27 PM Re: Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions [Re: joelgundam01]
EricDent Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Texas
Yep, like he said. I have both the BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, and Shattered Angels SAVE Editions.
They both have reversible covers.

The other 2 SAVE edition that I have are Coyote Ragtime Show & Solty Rei. Both of which had just a sticker on the outside.
In fact Solty Rei was basically just the Viridian Collection with a sticker on it.

I think it depends on what you get. If it is a newer SAVE edition, chances are that it will be a single DVD Case type (with the reversible covers). However some of the larger sets (like Kodacha for example) are also in larger cases.

Some of the sets could be thin-packs as well.

Maybe some research is needed...

#21759 - 03/30/11 07:31 PM Re: Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions [Re: EricDent]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Well, since it's mentioned...What is the new difference between the SAVE edition and the viridian collection? I mean isn't the viridian supposed to be the money saving edition? And now there's a SAVE edtion that's supposed to be an even better money saver? would that mean that the viridian collections are going to be discontinued in place of the SAVE edtions and are going to be taking over?

#21761 - 03/30/11 08:36 PM Re: Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions [Re: EricDent]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: EricDent
The other 2 SAVE edition that I have are Coyote Ragtime Show & Solty Rei. Both of which had just a sticker on the outside.
In fact Solty Rei was basically just the Viridian Collection with a sticker on it.

I think it depends on what you get. If it is a newer SAVE edition, chances are that it will be a single DVD Case type (with the reversible covers). However some of the larger sets (like Kodacha for example) are also in larger cases.

Some of the sets could be thin-packs as well.

Maybe some research is needed...

No research needed! It really depends on the title and if there is any remaining stock from the previous release(s). Leftover stock results in them just placing a SAVE sticker on the previous set, while new collections contain the SAVE banner. Funimation has noted this a few times on their web site.

#21762 - 03/30/11 08:48 PM Re: Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions [Re: stargates]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: stargates
Well, since it's mentioned...What is the new difference between the SAVE edition and the viridian collection? I mean isn't the viridian supposed to be the money saving edition? And now there's a SAVE edtion that's supposed to be an even better money saver? would that mean that the viridian collections are going to be discontinued in place of the SAVE edtions and are going to be taking over?

It works like this.

Complete Collection = First release or two previous sets combined into one (price range $50-$70).

Viridian Collection = Re-release of previous collection with slightly cheaper price and new packaging. (Price range $35-$50)

Classics Line = Titles that have sold really well in the previous releases or have done well with the previous company for license rescues. (Price range $30-$60.)

SAVE Edition = Titles that have sold poorly and they are trying to make a little extra money off of them. (Price range $10-$35.)
[$10 for movies and $35 for Blu-rays. Most titles with 12-13 episodes are priced for $20 and most titles with 24-26 episodes are priced for $30.]

It has been noted by Funimation, that a title will end up in either the Classics line or in the SAVE line in the end.

Edited by joelgundam01 (03/31/11 09:27 AM)

#21764 - 03/31/11 08:55 AM Re: Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions [Re: joelgundam01]
Stefanie Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Yeah, who needs research when you've got a joelgundam01? smile

Thanks for the info, especially the clarification of the "puke green" color. On my computer, it looks like "dirty snow yellow." Either way, it's good to know that the covers can be reversed.

#21765 - 03/31/11 11:51 AM Re: Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions [Re: joelgundam01]
stargates Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Loc: Ct
Originally Posted By: joelgundam01
It works like this.

Complete Collection = First release or two previous sets combined into one (price range $50-$70).

Viridian Collection = Re-release of previous collection with slightly cheaper price and new packaging. (Price range $35-$50)

Classics Line = Titles that have sold really well in the previous releases or have done well with the previous company for license rescues. (Price range $30-$60.)

SAVE Edition = Titles that have sold poorly and they are trying to make a little extra money off of them. (Price range $10-$35.)
[$10 for movies and $35 for Blu-rays. Most titles with 12-13 episodes are priced for $20 and most titles with 24-26 episodes are priced for $30.]

It has been noted by Funimation, that a title will end up in either the Classics line or in the SAVE line in the end.

As far as the Classics Line goes i figured it would be something along those lines. However, if you take them out of the equasion, doesn't it seem like a lot of re-packaging and re-releasing going on? Wouldn't that cost them more money in the end? especially if the SAVE editions are poor selling titles to begin with?

It was the difference between Viridian and SAVE that i wasn't too sure about. A quick search on ANN said that both would be having cheaper prices but i guess i got my wires crossed along the way. Thanks for the info.

#21767 - 03/31/11 12:24 PM Re: Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions [Re: stargates]
Hobby Ninja Offline
UPSF Captain

Loc: North Carolina
I also was mortified by the look of the SAVE editions. I was relieved when I had purchased one and saw that the cover art was reversible. I immediately flipped the cover. grin

#21768 - 03/31/11 01:38 PM Re: Funimation S.A.V.E. Editions [Re: stargates]
joelgundam01 Offline
UPSF Rear Admiral

Originally Posted By: stargates
.However, if you take them out of the equation, doesn't it seem like a lot of re-packaging and re-releasing going on? Wouldn't that cost them more money in the end? especially if the SAVE editions are poor selling titles to begin with?

Not at all! Disc production is pretty cheap these days as pointed out by other members (55 cents a disc). Not to mention, many times they are placing stickers over the previous collections (leftover stock) and just dropping the price.

It's also not unheard of for a company to do one really large print run (20,000+) and only package a portion of the discs, while the rest are stored on spools (think how DVD-R or CD-R are packaged) and re-packaged into later collections (again old stock).

Edited by joelgundam01 (04/01/11 10:51 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  TroyR 

© 1997 - 2014 Right Stuf, Inc. (800) 338-6827. All Rights Reserved. Dealer Inquiries Invited.

*The following restrictions apply to all coupons unless otherwise noted: Items already heavily discounted (weekly specials, bargain bin items, closeout items, and specialty imports item s) are excluded from coupon discounts. Orders must be completed through our online store at RightStuf.com. Items that are on special or are excluded from additional discounts do not count toward coupon dollar amount requ irements. Only one coupon or gift certificate may be applied to each order. Canceling or revising your order may affect its eligibility for the coupon.